New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Is Anyone Excited for "Everyday Heroes" (D20 Modern for 5e?)

The terms D20 and Modern in the same sentence? That never excites me.
    *This Space Available*

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I jiust checked how Modern AGE does it, and yeah it's a pretty standard abstracted wealth system. Anything up to Resources+4 is automatic, up to Resources+9 is free but requires a roll, and Resources+10 or greater reduces your Resources by 1 if it's successful. It'sfiunctional, but part of that comes from using 3d6 instead of 1d20. Althgough bying in d20 Modern ids hilarioudsly punishing (it's either automatic or reduces your Wealth),
    That sounds pretty great and I am considering finding a way to port that over now. Could be great for business characters, or people with agency credit cards, or people with Benefactors.
    If I ever think that I've gone too far in my Homebrew, I can just think about how Kane0 isn't considered crazy, so why would I be considered so?
    -
    D20 Modern's handling of shotguns is the perfect case of not balancing for fun OR realism OR efficiency.
    -
    Where would I go to get people to test mechanics? Reddit?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Is someone willing to pay me to say the words "I am excited for 5e content"?

Since this isn't a WotC product, I am not going to dismiss it off hand, but I couldn't care less for 5e D&D-based products.

I just have 0 enthusiasm for that game.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I was very confused when I saw threads on here claiming that 5e was a "Moderately Complex Game", because it has "Hundreds of pages of rules".
    If I ever think that I've gone too far in my Homebrew, I can just think about how Kane0 isn't considered crazy, so why would I be considered so?
    -
    D20 Modern's handling of shotguns is the perfect case of not balancing for fun OR realism OR efficiency.
    -

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tevo77777 View Post
    That sounds pretty great and I am considering finding a way to port that over now. Could be great for business characters, or people with agency credit cards, or people with Benefactors.
    Honestly it's mostly the same as how d20 Modern works anyway, just a decent amount more lenient. Part of ii is the 3d6 making it very likely you can pick up minor items and less likely to nab anything that'll cost you, although it could stand to have some ground between 'no charge' and 'reduce score'.

Starting characters range between 0 Resources (Outsiders with physical occupations) and 10 Resources (Upper class with a Drive that gives bonus Resources), so it is entirely possible to have one character bankrolling the rest of the team. By which I mean no equipment in the corebook costs more than 16, at Resources 10 you can outfit the entire party with automatic rifles and ballistic plate without a roll.

For 5e, or heck 3.5 I'd be tempted to make Wealth an Ability Score. Value underneath your Wealth score requires a roll, above it you begin to acquire Debt, and you can drop a point or two of Wealth to clear Debt. Potentially add in a seventh Rich Hero class and the adventuring with money archetype becomes a lot more viable.

My favourite system, assuming you're playing a point buy game, is to just fold XP and money together. You have 'Resources', and you can use them to help you train or buy equipment. Another idea I have is that characters don't so much but individual items so much as narrative permission to have something hang around, if you buy a weapon then whenever you lose it you'll always have a new one next scene. But that kind of goes against the idea of equipment as fluid.

I was very confused when I saw threads on here claiming that 5e was a "Moderately Complex Game", because it has "Hundreds of pages of rules".
    I'm honestly trying to work out what you mean here. Are you confused that people don't see it as a simple game, or as a complex game.

If it's the former then I can point you towards tons of simpler games.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I had campaigns where one of the backgrounds or classes let you bankroll the other characters, but the system wasn't nearly as formalized as what you suggested in terms of credit and liquid money.
    -
    When people make videos about the complexity of 5e, they are not videos about how to make 5e simpler, they are videos about how to add mechanics or rules or options to 5e.

It is possible no living person has looked at a RPG system and sought to make it simpler (Unless it was 3.5 or Pathfinder 1e, so nevermind, I think 5e is just too simple to make simpler).
    -
    I've played years and years of campaigns, where people kept track of their money, so I'm okay with that being a reality if it needs to be. I had a party straight up going to the Latin American market to get veggies and fruit, with three different currencies, along with using narcotics as money. Good times.
    Last edited by Tevo77777; 2022-10-01 at 04:20 PM.
    -
    -

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

I had campaigns where one of the backgrounds or classes let you bankroll the other characters, but the system wasn't nearly as formalized as what you suggested in terms of credit and liquid money.
    Yeah, I'm specifically trying to come up with something relatively codified, just to avoid abuse. I'm actually leaning closer into XP and Cred being the same resource atm

When people make videos about the complexity of 5e, they are not videos about how to make 5e simpler, they are videos about how to add mechanics or rules or options to 5e.

It is possible no living person has looked at a RPG system and sought to make it simpler (Unless it was 3.5 or Pathfinder 1e, so nevermind, I think 5e is just too simple to make simpler).
    Considering the popularity of Fate Accelerated over Fate Core, the success of Mongoose Traveller 1e, and the existence of games like Those Dark Places, Paleomytbic, or Crescendo of Violence, it's very much possible for D&D 5e to be stripped down into something that isn't a horrific mess of rules and abilities. Hell Barebones Fantasy does a D&D style game very well in a rules-light style (13 spells!).

If you want to see how you might actually strip down the D&D 5e look at Shadowrun Anarchy. It's a version of Shadowrun 5e that took out most of the subsystems and defined abilities, and instead gave a decent if slightly exploitable way to build your own abilities

That said there's nothing wrong with a complex game. I own Shadowrun 4e as well as Anarchy, love my Trinity 2e books, and have Scion: Origin on the way. I just wish the designers of 5e would admit that it is one.

Unfortunately most people looking to 'fix' 5e haven't heard of proper simple games, if they're familiar with games outside of D&D at all.

I look at some of the games on my shelf and laugh at D&D being called anything other than complex or rules-heavy.
    -
    I've played years and years of campaigns, where people kept track of their money, so I'm okay with that being a reality if it needs to be. I had a party straight up going to the Latin American market to get veggies and fruit, with three different currencies, along with using narcotics as money. Good times.
    I'm just tired of coin counting, I've seen it in a session maybe once. Mostly people just make purchases in between -session downtime. More abstract wealth is, IME, more likely to come up. The question becomes not 'do I have 63 pennies' but 'could my musician reasonably buy a cake'.

And coin counting in character creation is a chore. Blargh to ever making another Street Samurai.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

I've never had even the slightest bit of playing Real World D&D.

That said, d20 Modern provided a bridge to do some other games in a d20 setting that might not have been possible otherwise. One of my favorite games ever used a fan-made Terminator d20 conversion that worked surprisingly well. If Everyday Heroes can do the same, then I'll probably pick it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    I've never had even the slightest bit of playing Real World D&D.

That said, d20 Modern provided a bridge to do some other games in a d20 setting that might not have been possible otherwise. One of my favorite games ever used a fan-made Terminator d20 conversion that worked surprisingly well. If Everyday Heroes can do the same, then I'll probably pick it up.
    I think it would work, and you could potentially play something like a Terminator with Universal Soldier or The Vault. (But you probably just want less extraordinary heroes.) The Vault has numerous robotic NPCs, and the core rules already have a "robotic assassin".