New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 38 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Iron Crisis Pt3 IC

As Sam rounds the corner of the tree he hears a scream of pain. Seniyad, in bear form, looms over the druid and tears a chunk of flesh from her with his mighty jaws, raking her arm with his claws at the same time. She collapses, unconscious and severely bleeding. The druid raises a paw as he appears willing to finish the job.

The burst of Senna's magic slams into the hag's eyes, forcing her off balance, and she feels the wave of poisons leave her system just as quickly as it had come, the foul liquid evaporating as the magic sustaining it ends. The hag swipes back with her claw, but half-blinded by the arcane burst the razor claws simply skitter across Senna's shield.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Sam moves.
    Senna hits for 9, breaking Poison's concentration. She's no longer poisoned.

Hag rolls an amazing 2 on her claw attack.

Hood-druid misses with his cantrip.
    Seniyad hits Faldorn sufficiently to drop her to 0. She's now making death saves. I also rolled one in advance, because Caelyn is unlikely to interact with it, and she rolled a Nat 1. She is on 2 failures/0 successes.
    Vala dashes to get to the hag.

Everyone's up now that Faldorn is out of commission.

Initiative Order:
    Sam: [26]
    Senna: [18]

Hags: [16]
    Shadow: [12]

Druids: [8]
    Vala: [5]

Caelyn: [4]

Faldorn: [3]

Last edited by Amnestic; 2022-09-27 at 10:53 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Iron Crisis Pt3

Cheerful Sam | Grepha
    Half-Dragon Warlock/Bard | Imp Warlock
    AC: 12 HP: 16/48 | AC: 13 HP: Banished
    PP: 10|13 PIv: 15|12 PIs: 11|13
    --- | ---

Seeing Faldorn fall, Sam remembers what Senna had said. The hags were trying to open a portal, or summon something. And the situation eerily resembles one they faced in a certain keep. Remembering their mistakes from then, he swoops towards the platform and calls out to the elder druid, "Seniyad! Hold up!" he waves his arms. "It's a ritual, I've seen this kinda thing before. If she dies it might count as a power source! I ain't gonna say something dumb like sparing her life, but don't let her die yet!"

Fighting hag Yeenoghu didn't sound like a great way to spend the afternoon.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move 1 NE, 1 E, then fly 4 more E.
    Persuasion to get Seniyad to keep Faldorn alive (for now), if needed.
    (1d20+4)[22]

Last edited by RandomWombat; 2022-09-26 at 12:58 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 33/47
    PP: 17 PIv: 10 PIs: 17
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    5 / 6 d8 HD
    Spell Slots- 3/4 1st, 2/3 2nd, 0/3 3rd

Caelyn runs around the tree, sticking to the path and heading for Seniyad and the Shadow Druid. "My brother speaks true! Killing her now could summon something worse!"
    Caelyn turns to face the hag battling Senna, issuing a command to Bokono and a litany of Druidic words that send ashes and sparks from the tip of her tongue, resulting in another barrage of fire.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move 35 feet, which brings Caelee to just under the tree branch. Bonus action command Bokono. Upcast scorching ray to 3rd level at the last hag. (1d20+7)[26] to hit and (2d6)[6] damage. (1d20+7)[18] to hit and (2d6)[9] damage. (1d20+7)[10] to hit and (2d6)[9] damage. (1d20+7)[23] to hit and (2d6)[7] damage. Bokono- (1d20+7)[26] to hit and (1d6+3)[5] fire damage. Bokono moves east, but not into spikes.
    The Bear is Back.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 20 HP: 31/39
    PP: 17 PIv: 12 PIs: 17
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

Submit to my will! Senna blurts out as she summons yet another barrage of arcane bolts.

Spoiler
    Show
    3rd level magic missiles (1d4+1)[2] x5

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Crisis Pt3 IC

Sam's impassioned plea makes Seniyad swivel before delivering the final blow. His paw is still raised, the claws razor sharp and still dripping with Faldorn's blood, but he doesn't bring the swipe down upon the fallen shadow druid, instead watching and waiting. Faldorn still bleeds, and - perhaps - Seniyad is willing to let that happen, as he makes no effort to stem the crimson flow. Instead he watches, and waits, letting nature take its course in the most literal sense.

Senna and Caelyn unleash a combination of magical blasts against the hag whose clothes begin to burn from the onslaught. With a shriek she retaliates, launching her own burst of fey magic at Senna. The bolts of chaotic magic strike the cleric past her defenses, causing unpleasant looking welts on her skin.

Having run, jumped, and climbed around the tree's edge, Vala finally reaches the hag and finds herself blocked by the same spike growth that keeps the fey in place. She opts to launch a rock scooped from the ground at the creature, but the non-aerodynamic projectile flies wide, accompanied only by a muttered curse from the spear wielder. Your druidic ally makes up for his previous failing by slamming a ball of flame directly into the hag's chest, causing her to stumble slightly.

Show

Caelyn+Bokono's blasts hit for a total of 29.

Sam convinces Seniyad to not execute Faldorn. For now.
    Senna's MM hits for 10.

The hag retaliates with her own magic missile on Senna, blasting her for 12.

Hood-druid crits(!) with his cantrip for 10 damage. She was bloodied before this, but since it's the last damage in the turn I'll say it here: the hag is bloodied.
    Seniyad dodges.

Vala moves up onto the platform, but is unwilling to cross the spike growth. She lobs a rock at the hag and misses.

Since Caelyn might be reviving Faldorn to avoid a fey invasion or something similar, only Caelyn is now up.

Initiative Order:

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 33/47
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    5 / 6 d8 HD
    Spell Slots- 2/4 1st, 2/3 2nd, 1/3 3rd

Caelyn sprints up beside Seniyad and raises her hands before him.

Spoiler: Druidic
    Show
    "I understand your rage, elder. Justice will be done. But wait until the ritual has been collapsed, I beg you."

Caelyn reaches out a hand and touches the bleeding shadow druid, imbuing her with a mote of healing magic.

Show
    If I can I choose to heal for 1 HP. If not, (1d8+4)[5]
    The Bear is Back.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Faldorn's injuries knit back together as Caelyn's healing magic washes over her, the blood leakage slowing and then stopping. The shadow druid's eyes flicker open, but if Caelyn had hoped that the brush with near death would have softened Faldorns' demeanour, sadly, she is mistaken. Faldorn stands and thrusts her palm out, launching a thrust of thunderous wind at both Seniyad and Caelyn. Despite his heft, the bear is lifted from the ground and thrown from the platform, crashing down upon the tree's boughs below. The backbreaking damage ends the druid's wild shape and the form of a man returns. Caelyn, however, stands firm in the face of the spell, and somehow manages to remain standing on the now slightly more rickety wooden platform.

Show

Caelyn heals Faldorn for five.

She expresses her thanks for saving her life by blasting Seniyad+Caelyn with a Thunderwave. Seniyad fails the save and gets thrown from the platform, falling down. The fall damage and thunderwave damage knocks him out of bearform.
    Caelyn takes 10 thunder damage - she made her save and thus remains on the platform.

Senna teleports to another side of the hag.

Initiative Order:

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

In a very uncreative manner the Scribe of Oghma will surely admonish, Senna repeats her best move yet again. She hopes tenacity is key as she repeats the sigils for the arcane bolts yet again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Magic Missile from a 2nd level spell (1d4+1)[3] x4

9. - Top - End - #9

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha
    --- | ---

Soaring above Faldorn, Sam slings a pair of energy bolts to slam her back into the ground. "You okay?" he shouts down to Seniyad.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move 4 diagonally Up-East.
    EB on Faldorn with NL damage, to pummel her down into the platform
    (1d20+6)[24] Blast 1
    (1d10)[8] force damage and (1d4)[1] impact damage from shove into the ground/statue
    (1d20+6)[11] Blast 2
    (1d10)[3] force damage and (1d4)[1] impact damage from shove into the ground/statue

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

One of Sam's beams slams into Faldorn and knocks her out before she can cast another spell or do yet more damage. Her body tumbles to the platform floor, breathing but unconscious.

The repeated blast from Senna into the hag's face causes a scream of agony. She remains standing, but now surrounded by creatures and barbed thorns both she draws a small symbol with an elongated claw and vanishes with a quiet pop, just as he compatriot had before. After a tense moment, the danger seems to pass. Wherever the hag has gone, it seems to be to nurse their injuries instead of continuing the battle. The skyshimmer begins to fade as the ritual comes to an end, finally settling back on the calm summer blue above. Likewise, the rapid plant growth and decay halts as time seems to flow for the plants normally once more. The danger passed, the druid holds a moment before letting the spikes retreat and allowing Senna to move freely once more.

"I'll live." Seniyad calls up to Sam as he picks himself up from the fall. "Can we kill her now?"

Show

I'm gonna call that combat done unless someone has a way to affect the ethereal plane I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure you don't. Time to decide what to do with the hostages.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 23/47
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    5 / 6 d8 HD

Caelyn, ears ringing and blood in her mouth, spits. "Do as you wish. Her judgement is in your court, not our." She moves to stand with Seniyad, watching the execution with a determined, hard glare in her eyes. "Let this stand as a warning for any Shadow Druids who would destroy the balance."
    The Bear is Back.

12. - Top - End - #12

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha
    --- | ---

Descending to the nook in the tree Seniyad had fallen into, Sam offers the old druid a hand as the last of the fey magic fades back into the clear, true sky. "No complaints here. Want me to fly you back up?" This was the druid's grove, after all, and he its master once more.

Though he is not entirely at ease yet. "I do want to know what they were planning, and where the hags have gone, but... fanatics like Faldorn can't really be reasoned with." He goes to finish off the fallen hag for good while leaving Faldorn to Seniyad. Helpless and unconscious, maybe. But also a creature of evil, and perfectly capable of slipping into another plane if they try to hold her as the others have displayed.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Seniyad gratefully accepts the help up. He could climb, and from the ways his eyes case their way up the tree he probably has done before, but a helping hand isn't turned away. He executes the unconscious Faldorn with the same swiftness that he did the previous bandits, without saying any last words for her. "A portal to the feywild that fed on death. Perhaps they planned to make it a permanent bridge and twist the the material? A wound in reality powered by death." He ruminates on their plan after you regroup. "There weren't any other druids here. Maybe they're elsewhere?" He sounds almost hopeful, and it's clear he hopes that not all are as lost as Faldorn. "Or she killed them to feed the spell." Vala suggests, but Seniyad doesn't have an answer, only speculation.

"It will take time to undo what was done here, but you have my sincere thanks, and that of my Circle. We have little in the way of riches as a reward for what you have done here, but name a boon and if it's in our power I will see it done." Vala opens her mouth to suggest something but hesitates and turns away, her desire buried.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

We have little to gain from riches either. Our path is one of danger, massing wealth is just not sensible. There are two things I would request of you however. The first is a druidic spell I know: Would you be so kind as to enchant a feast of berries for the starving men of the mines? No living being should suffer because of this conflict. Their chances of reaching the city would be improved greatly, and realistically my sister needs any magic she can muster for the same travels. Secondly, if you could aid me in removing these boots, I would appreciate it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Asking for a multitude of Goodberries for the miners, and Remove Curse, though I discovered for some reason 5e removed the spell from druid spell lists.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

"I fear any berries would not last the journey back, they lose their enchantment after a day." Seniyad replies, before nodding to his companion who heads into the tree's depths. "I lack the spell to shatter curses, but if Faldorn has not yet plundered our stores we may have an oil that will suffice."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

16. - Top - End - #16

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha
    --- | ---

Returning from dealing with the last hag and searching her for any clues, Sam joins in the discussion.

Show
    (1d20+5)[13] Investigation to search the KO'd hag.

"If she killed them we would have found bodies, right?" Sam suggests, hopefully. The ones below weren't ones Seniyad recognized after all, so there's still hope. "I'm not really sure how to find them though," he adds.

Facing Seniyad, he holds out a hand to shake and offers a fanged smile. "I think having friends wherever we can find them is a greater boon than riches. But I won't argue against help curing my sister's boots."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    5 / 6 d8 HD

Caelyn watches the elder druid dispatch the Shadow druid with a dispassionate gaze, but that does not reflect the bloodthirsty joy that blooms within her chest that this defiler of the balance has been made to pay for her crimes. When Seniyad speaks of boons, Caelee has to shake herself from watching the bleeding corpse.

"A disenchantment for my sister would be a perfect boon, elder. As for me... if you have any dominion over the realms of dreams, something to quell the anger that besieges me nightly would be more than I could hope for, or even a direction to pursue for such aid."
    The Bear is Back.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Sam's investigation of the hag finds little of worth or note among her rags and bags, save for a thumb-sized gemstone, crimson in colour and shaped to be similar to that of a humanoid heart. Its touch thrums with magic.

Spoiler: Heartstone
    Show

Hags use these in order to pass into the ethereal plane. Once per day their touch can be used to cure (supposedly) any disease.

In response to Caelyn's request Seniyad ponders. "Sehanine Moonbow would frown upon those who intrude upon dreams, especially if you are a favoured child of nature. If she allows this I fear it is due to another god's influence, or it comes from within." He moves to place a palm against the great tree, his touch clearly going beyond the superficial bark as he shuts his eyes. "A solution is not within my grasp, yet I may be able to hold back the worst of it. If you would hand me your staff, I may be able to add my power to its own."

As he speaks, the hooded druid returns bearing a bottle of oil, which he hands to Senna with instructions: simply pour on the boots and they should pop right off. Should being the operative word.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

19. - Top - End - #19

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha
    --- | ---

Having collected the Heartstone, Sam stowed it in a pocket. Uncertain what to do with the hag's remains, he left them below, to defer to Seniyad on the matter.

"Do you need any help cleaning up and looking for the rest of your people?" the dragonborn offers. "After this, I think we're headed to the Gate again if you wanted us to pass along any kind of ambassadorial messages about the mine," Sam adds, remembering Grepha's council about establishing an alliance between the druids and the city authorities.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

I thank you for this aid. Senna says as she applies the oil onto the boots. You were nice and saved me from a pinch, but you were really really weird this time. she tells to the inanimate cursed things.

If it succeeds:
    Now, what do we do with them? Would Vala wear them instead? These would have saved you much running about. Other than that, we could throw them to the genie.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

The oil flows surprisingly smoothly, and has a cleansing smell that is a little bit of a cross between mint and lavender, with notes of both and neither at the same time. Almost as a capstone to their teleportation shenanigans, when the curse breaks the boots teleport from her feet, with one appearing on her head (before quickly falling to the ground) and the other on the end of Vala's spear. She shakes it off, tossing it to where the other one fell. "Tempting, especially after all the running I just did, but I'll pass. Don't want ta get teleport sickness." She shakes her head.

"You have already done enough, and I would not impose on you further. Clearing this place will take time, but time is something we have plenty of, and I'm not sure I can say the same about you." Seniyad politely declines. "Tell them that they had best send a messenger and no more to us first if they wish to step in these forests again. Any movement in force will be met in kind."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    5 / 6 d8 HD

Caelyn smiles wistfully as the boots finally come off. She ponders making a joke about unwashed feet, but instead turns to Seniyad, some amount of sadness and anxiety returning to her features as she hands over her staff. "While I wish your answers more directly spoke to my affliction, I am encouraged that your wisdom leads in the same direction as my own. I can't pretend to be an expert on Sehanine Moonbow, but I firmly believe that she will have some measure of comfort for one of her children... misguided and misbegotten an elf as I am." Caelyn stepped forward suddenly, placing a hand on Seniyad's cheek for a moment and meeting his eyes before looking down again. "Thank you for your wisdom, elder. I will try to temper myself and my... darker urges... with the guidance you've given me." She then produced her staff and held it out. "It seems this staff gets more and more powerful as we go. I'm eager to see what you can add to it."
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2022-10-13 at 06:52 AM.
    The Bear is Back.

23. - Top - End - #23

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha
    --- | ---

"I'll see what I can do," Sam nods. Hopefully he could find someone in the Gate who would listen and negotiate with the druids on respectful terms. He folds his arms and exhales a small puff of smoke as Caelyn speaks to the druid. "I'm here too if you need me." A glance up at his empty shoulder and he adds in a brief exchange with thin air, "Grepha says she is too. Yeah, you did. Okay, but you were thinking it."

And speaking of Grepha. Patting at some of his pouches, he hums. "Do you happen to have any ritual components for summoning familiars? Charcoal, incense, herbs? I should get Grepha back in shape before we head out."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Seniyad takes the staff in hand, measuring its weight and balance, but equally the tender grip shows a respect for the magic at work. "Let me see what we still have, for this and your...familiar." He nods at Sam, leaving you on your own for a short time to relax. The other druid busies themself with cleaning up the bodies and taking an inventory of what remains, and though marred by Faldorn's machinations you do get some time to bask and marvel in the great tree's energy.

When Seniyad returns, the staff has a trio of white feathers and a small white gemstone tied near the head of the staff with dark thread. Caelyn and Senna both note that a clump of Seniyad's hair is now missing that was there before. A soft wave of serenity passes through Caelyn when he hands it back, though it goes just as quickly. "I can make no promises, but I hope this aids you in your journey."

Spoiler: Caelyn's Staff Upgrade
    Show

Seniyad's Safeguard
    As an action or bonus action it can now cast Calm Emotions once, refreshing at dawn. If this feature is not expended before you Trance, it can be used to instead suppress the Dreams - for Caelyn alone.

With the staff handed off he also produces a small bag of incense for Sam. "Will this suffice?" A quick inspection confirms that yes, it will.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

25. - Top - End - #25

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha
    AC: 12 HP: 16/48 | AC: 13 HP: 17/17
    --- | ---

Gratefully accepting the ritual components, Sam finds a quiet spot in the glade down by the water to perform his ritual. The same place he'd been trying to relax after the fight. After the chanting comes to an end, Grepha reforms in a tiny flow of hellfire and stretches her wings and tail before returning to raven form.

"Note to self, fly higher away from the ground when fighting druids."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Senna pulls the shoe from the top of her head and silently listens to Seniyad's musings. After some deliberation and all too obvious things happening, she finally comes to a conclusion. Is the tree just very powerful, or are we standing on a nexus, a leyline? Or is this just the best most defensible place? I worry about the damage to the divisions between worlds the ritual could have caused. I mean the time flow was already altered a bit and the sky changed colors. Do you have this under control or do you need some clerical support to seal this plane again? Or would you rather prefer no one else learned about this place?

I feel I know your answer already, but false pride and reclusive behavior might be a mistake.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

"We could just not fight any more druids. Seems easier." Vala quips to Grepha. "Not that there's many in the Gate, that I know of at least. Though there were rumours about a sect of sewer druids who commanded all the rats in the city."

"Secrecy is our shield." Seniyad seems almost surprised Senna would suggest bringing in outsiders, but perhaps it's his own (limited?) perspective that draws such shock. "The great tree does hold a well of power within it, I think it no coincidence that Faldorn and the hags chose this site for their ritual instead of somewhere less notable. Inviting outsiders here..." He shakes his head. "Some might be good and true and keep their secret, but could I trust all? Were it not for the druid among you," he nods to Caelyn, "I would have refused you, no matter what help you offered. Outsiders tore up the earth for their iron, I only dread to think of what they would do should knowledge of our tree spread to those who wished to plunder it. Whatever Faldorn has wrought here, druids will find a solution. Alone. You may call it false pride if you will, but I will not live to see our home uprooted by greedy powerseekers." His eyes turn north, and though you can't see it, he is clearly looking towards the city.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

28. - Top - End - #28

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha
    AC: 12 HP: 16/48 | AC: 13 HP: 17/17
    --- | ---

Turning up her beak, Grepha makes an exasperated sound. "Must you say such things, Vala? Now we are all but certain to venture into the sewers, because you've tempted fate."

Chuckling at the two of them, and glad they're back to their more playful barbs rather than the glares and snippy comments at each other, Sam follows Seniyad's look north. "He has a point. I'd hate to see something like this ruined by greed," he agrees, looking up at the vast boughs of the tree. "... But it would be good to remember the last threat to her didn't come from outside, hm? It came from a druid."

Taking up his bag, Sam nods to his sisters. "Bout time we got moving then, hey? Can't let Senna's boyfriend have all the fun up at the Gate."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

You are probably right. Even if I told someone I trusted I cannot tell if they don't accidentally get the word out to someone we would not trust. I am sorry for bringing up this idea. But for now, I am unsure if I can brave more dangers in these woods without much more magic. What about you guys?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

"A wise woman once said 'a sewer is just an urban dungeon'. Not that it really counts anymore, but good gold says you would've ended up down there even if I'd kept quiet."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC