New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default GURPS for post-apocalypse

I'm debating using GURPS for a post-apocalypse game, planning on including some psionics and cyberware. I figure for books I'll probably go with Ultra and High Tech, and Powers. Anyone have other suggestions?

Also, unsure about After the End, I know it's on point, but does it really offer much? Anyone have experience with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: GURPS for post-apocalypse

Playing a game right now, so can pretty much offer some opinions.
    1. Overall, GURPS works well for the game I play. We have HT and AtE and they are both good. AtE is a bit more cinematic at times, but those parts are optional. It definitely clarifies some rules, like hunting and scavenging, and offers some solid build ideas, so if you have an access, you shouldn't just skip it.
    2. The biggest problem we have with GURPS is the lack of players. If you can solve that one, you are good.
    3. Have no experience playing much with UT, but that is sure a huge leap in power compared to TL 8 (and thus to any lower-tech parts of the world). If you use AtE pricing and funding (you probably should at least consider it, unless you start with Brotherhood of Steel), most of UT stuff will be well out of players' reach from the start, so at least that is good.
    4. Psionics and implants will be a mixed thing. Some of these will replicate gear. So it might be possible to, e.g. dump 20 points into something and then later loot some gadget that does the same thing. Some of it might offer things unique enough to be relevant ever after. You probably should offer players advice about which is which, because this will hugely depend on the exact state the world is now in.

I'll try to answer specific questions if you have any.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    2. The biggest problem we have with GURPS is the lack of players. If you can solve that one, you are good.
    You're not wrong!

4. Psionics and implants will be a mixed thing. Some of these will replicate gear. So it might be possible to, e.g. dump 20 points into something and then later loot some gadget that does the same thing. Some of it might offer things unique enough to be relevant ever after. You probably should offer players advice about which is which, because this will hugely depend on the exact state the world is now in.
    Good point, I figure it'll take some discussion. I'm expecting to keep high power gear rare outside of implants which, hopefully, will help. Back to UT, I'm planning on mostly raiding it for cybernetics, and maybe the occasional very rare piece of equipment. Don't own the book though, think it's worth it?

I'll try to answer specific questions if you have any.
    Any thoughts on AtE1 vs AtE2? Wasn't planning on using premade setting stuff, but am happy with a decent scavenging or survival system, and never hurts to mine stuff for inspiration.

Any other books you'd recommend? I'm aiming for sort of a Fallout meets Akira (not quite that level of psionics probably) with some cyber stuff tossed in.
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

You're probably going to want the Autoduel splats as well as After the End (1 and 2) for a good post-apocalypse setting.

Or you could just play Gamma World....
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    Or you could just play Gamma World....
    Thought about it, and, yeah, it would have a lot to offer, but would like to get away from D&D systems for a bit (also not sure I want to go THAT far with mutation stuff).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Back to UT, I'm planning on mostly raiding it for cybernetics, and maybe the occasional very rare piece of equipment. Don't own the book though, think it's worth it?
    A good book, but I didn't really used the cybernetics section. It is sort of a speculation about the future, so pick and choose to fit your particular world. A bit older than HT and a bit more optimistic about some weapons, but hey, that's +1 TL for you! I once made a guy in powered suit and with AI-controlled blinding ladar. Blinds people miles away, with huge acc, and does not use character's actions. And the suit protects from most of small arms. Will be less of a problem if you don't allow large wealth and/or don't let your players pick and choose, but I mean, the gear is there.

Any thoughts on AtE1 vs AtE2? Wasn't planning on using premade setting stuff, but am happy with a decent scavenging or survival system, and never hurts to mine stuff for inspiration.
    They are meant to be used together, like B1 and B2. Both good read and good rules. Be wary of the starting wealth + price scaling. That is a HUGE jump in people's wealth as soon as they loot something good. In our case we started with $500 each, played with melee and TL5 guns for a bit, and when we had survived our first big confrontation a guy attacking us dropped a .338 Sniper Rifle from B279, which, under AtE formula, is $89600. Would have been less of an issue if we had problems finding a buyer (well, barterer), but we would have been willing to accept noticeable discount to outfit our whole lot with quality TL 6..7 gear.

Any other books you'd recommend? I'm aiming for sort of a Fallout meets Akira (not quite that level of psionics probably) with some cyber stuff tossed in.
    The books listed should be enough. You can allow other stuff, like Power Ups and what not, but those are totally optional.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Fun trivia fact: The Fallout CRPG games were originally going to be based on GURPS, but the deal fell through.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Fun trivia fact: The Fallout CRPG games were originally going to be based on GURPS, but the deal fell through.
    I've heard that. Also, the Exodus RPG was originally going to be Fallout (d20 version) but Bethesda pulled the license.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

You'll likely get a lot of use out of Low-tech in a post-apocalypse setting. Scrounging is a baked in concept, and a lot of the low-TL tech in that book will be of use.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    You'll likely get a lot of use out of Low-tech in a post-apocalypse setting. Scrounging is a baked in concept, and a lot of the low-TL tech in that book will be of use.
    I agree wholeheartedly.

having a lot of tech, and super cool tech at that. Negates the fact that you are in a post-apocalyptic setting.

While, i do not like the whole mad Max as the default setting for that, the fact that an apocalypse has happened would mean that resources have been used up, destroyed, and logistics have been disrupted beyond anything close to resembling fixable states.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Fairly close to the end of Fallout's development, actually. SPECIAL was kinda shoehorned in at the last minute. Most of Fallout was developed with GURPS.
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking)"