New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

sigh Cheaters Is A Messy Reality Show

I started to watch Cheaters a few days ago on Pluto TV and boy oh boy that reality show is a huge mess. If you're unfamiliar with the show, it's about a bunch of private investigators who are hired by people who want to bust their spouse for infidelity which leads them into arguments and fights. Just about every episode in Cheaters is always fighting.

Spoiler: One Episode Has My Blood Boiled
    Show
    I remember an old episode of Cheaters it was on YouTube. There was a woman who caught her boyfriend cheating with another woman. They were fighting and arguing. During the argument, her boyfriend during the unthinkable that got my blood boiling: He punched her in the face, and her whole face was bleeding. I was like: Are you serious?! It very clear he has serious anger issues. I was very angry that her boyfriend punch her in the face like that.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Cheaters Is A Messy Reality Show

Cheaters was basically single-handedly responsible for killing the G4 network back in the day, which is something about it that makes my blood boil.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Cheaters was basically single-handedly responsible for killing the G4 network back in the day, which is something about it that makes my blood boil.
    I didn't know about that. Like most reality shows do it for ratings and shock value.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Dude, you had to be expecting this. I'm not sure why you're surprised by it.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Dude, you had to be expecting this. I'm not sure why you're surprised by it.
    I was expecting the fight but I wasn't expecting that the fight would be that violent.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I was expecting the fight but I wasn't expecting that the fight would be that violent.
    I think Peelee was referring to your apparent surprise that a show dedicated to exposing extramarital affairs in a dramatic fashion would become, well, dramatic. To paraphrase Michael Bluth: "I don't know what you expected."
    Last edited by Sholos; 2022-10-13 at 05:52 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    I think Peelee was referring to your apparent surprise that a show dedicated to exposing extramarital affairs in a dramatic fashion would become, well, dramatic.
    I know what he was referring to and I already mentioned to him in my last post.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

If it makes you feel any better, these shows are so heavily scripted and prone to re-enactments that I'd give a 50/50 chance the 'blood' on her face was theatrical fake blood from a squib packet.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, these shows are so heavily scripted and prone to re-enactments that I'd give a 50/50 chance the 'blood' on her face was theatrical fake blood from a squib packet.
    Oh really? I should have known better. Most of these reality shows are scripted anyway. They compared it to pro wrestling.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I'm not sure if I would call them scripted. Manufactured, more like. The people aren't acting, they're reacting to provocations by the producers to achieve more desirable outcomes for the producers. So they're less likely to use squibs and have the people try to act hurt and surprised, and more likely to just use tactics to make the people more emotional and reactionary, and then selectively use clips to help form narratives they want to portray.

Talking head interviews are most likely to be re-enacted and closer to being scripted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I know what he was referring to and I already mentioned to him in my last post.
    I was referring to the fact that you love chasing people acting super dramatic, and then you act surprised when people act super dramatic.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm not sure if I would call them scripted. Manufactured, more like. The people aren't acting, they're reacting to provocations by the producers to achieve more desirable outcomes for the producers. So they're less likely to use squibs and have the people try to act hurt and surprised, and more likely to just use tactics to make the people more emotional and reactionary, and then selectively use clips to help form narratives they want to portray.

Talking head interviews are most likely to be re-enacted and closer to being scripted.

I was referring to the fact that you love chasing people acting super dramatic, and then you act surprised when people act super dramatic.
    I don't do that on purpose. I need to stop doing that.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

So they're less likely to use squibs and have the people try to act hurt and surprised, and more likely to just use tactics to make the people more emotional and reactionary,
    Like having the spouse in the room for the big revelation.

It's not even like these detectives are just ruthless in their self promotion. If they actually wanted to get rich off this job they'd hand the customer the evidence in private, let them vent for a bit, then tell them to get your head on straight and give them the number of a divorce-lawyer buddy of theirs. They'd make bank on the reference bonuses alone, let alone the good word of mouth for all the big settlements.

Disclaimer: never seen the show, I assume it's like all of that type of reality shows.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2022-12-06 at 01:54 PM. Reason: It said "word of wood", why did it say "word of wood"? I might have typed this on my phone.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post

It's not even like these detectives are just ruthless in their self promotion. If they actually wanted to get rich off this job they'd hand the customer the evidence in private, let them vent for a bit, then tell them to get your head on straight and give them the number of a divorce-lawyer buddy of theirs. They'd make bank on the reference bonuses alone, let alone the good word of wood for all the big settlements.

Disclaimer: never seen the show, I assume it's like all of that type of reality shows.
    It has been on since the early 2000s. So it was on for a long time.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It's not even like these detectives are just ruthless in their self promotion. If they actually wanted to get rich off this job they'd hand the customer the evidence in private, let them vent for a bit, then tell them to get your head on straight and give them the number of a divorce-lawyer buddy of theirs. They'd make bank on the reference bonuses alone, let alone the good word of wood for all the big settlements.

Honestly, I figure a lot of that stuff has to be a dramatic re-enactment, because if they were actually regularly provoking people into crimes like assault, they'd get the pants sued off them.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Honestly, I figure a lot of that stuff has to be a dramatic re-enactment, because if they were actually regularly provoking people into crimes like assault, they'd get the pants sued off them.
    Unless they are a corporate product with lawyers on retainer advising what they can do, and also enforce all people involved to sign waivers (enforceability of said waivers not necessarily relevant).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Unless they are a corporate product with lawyers on retainer advising what they can do, and also enforce all people involved to sign waivers (enforceability of said waivers not necessarily relevant).
    I mean, lawyers cost money. I know people like to cynically dismiss lawsuits against corporate entities as meaningless, but if youre regularly embroiled in legal trouble, the costs of paying your lawyers adds up quickly, even on a win. Thats why companies prefer to settle out of court when possible. Its almost always easier to just give somebody money to go away than it is to pay your team of lawyers their fees for years to push the paperwork for a win.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I mean, lawyers cost money. I know people like to cynically dismiss lawsuits against corporate entities as meaningless, but if youre regularly embroiled in legal trouble, the costs of paying your lawyers adds up quickly, even on a win. Thats why companies prefer to settle out of court when possible. Its almost always easier to just give somebody money to go away than it is to pay your team of lawyers their fees for years to push the paperwork for a win.
    Thr lawyers are already hired. Also, even ignoring the waivers that everyone on the shows is almost guaranteed to have signed, companies also love arbitration agreements, which help keep them out of court. And this is for cases that actually have grounds to start with. They likely have little to no liability what with contract agreements to be on the show and legal waivers signed for the show, most of which I would bet five bucks that the participants either do not read at thoroughly or do not understand/expect the company to actually follow through on stipulations.

Not to mention the whole "sue the pants off" concept is wildly over-exaggerated in news and media, and the cases you hear about are the rare exceptions.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

If a person signs up for a tv show because they want to expose their spouse for cheating, signs a waiver, then punches that spouse in the nose on TV and then tries to blame the punching on the TV show setting them up, yeah, good luck in court. That person got played hard.

Admittedly, the spouse that didn't contact the show to begin with might have a slightly better case, but still not great. They were caught cheating and assaulting their significant other, that's not going to look great in front of a jury.

(Also, if these people had money they'd probably hire a private investigator that doesn't hang their dirty laundry out for the entire world to see.)
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2022-10-13 at 01:22 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

If a person signs up for a tv show because they want to expose their spouse for cheating, signs a waiver, then punches that spouse in the nose on TV and then tries to blame the punching on the TV show setting them up, yeah, good luck in court. That person got played hard.

Admittedly, the spouse that didn't contact the show to begin with might have a slightly better case, but still not great. They were caught cheating and assaulting their significant other, that's not going to look great in front of a jury.

(Also, if these people had money they'd probably hire a private investigator that doesn't hang their dirty laundry out for the entire world to see.)
    Not to mention that lawsuits require damages, and damages for getting bloody nose/broken nose may well be relegated to small claims court, state and medical insurance depending. Even if not, it might not be worth hiring a lawyer for to start with, even if they choose to pursue litigation (and that's if they are not bound by arbitration (and that's if they are not bound by the waiver they signed (and that's if they are not bound by the contract they signed (and that's if their case even has legs to start with)))).

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

))))
    Do you want to start a club for people who like parenthesis way too much with me?