New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: One D&D - Spell List Analysis (Gains and Losses By Class)

Quote Originally Posted by PallyBass View Post
    So all the arcane casters gonna be walking around with familiars. Imagine a party of 4-6 with 2-4+ owls
    Yeah. And they'll die frequently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    They do have Dancing Lights instead as that is an illusion now.
    Bards already have dancing lights now: I discovered in play that it's a poor spell, specifically as it requires concentration.
    Dancing Lights requires concentration, Light does not.
    Bard spells are heavy into conc as it is ... DL is useless after about level 2.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-10-03 at 02:16 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

2. - Top - End - #32
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Bards already have dancing lights now: I discovered in play that it's a poor spell, specifically as it requires concentration.
    Dancing Lights requires concentration, Light does not.
    Bard spells are heavy into conc as it is ... DL is useless after about level 2.
    Yeah, it's almost as though Bards are supposed to be worse at magic than the other full casters or something. What's the issue again?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingPirate

This is functionality they sorely need. They have some gaping holes as a primary caster, e.g. being the only caster that can't dispel magic, the only arcanists that can't counterspell or summon or teleport, the only healer that can't cast Heal or rez etc.
    Actually, I'm totally okay with those gaps. I don't think the Bard generally SHOULD be able to go toe-to-toe with a Wizard in counterspell duels, or be as good at healing as the Cleric. I do think they should have Dispel Magic, but maybe only as a ritual. If you have multiple classes with identical overlap in their spell lists, why are they different classes?

Frankly, I LIKE the fact that both the Bard and Artificer have a more limited spell list, it gives their magic a distinct flavor. I'd like to see Wizard do something similar.
    Last edited by Slipjig; 2022-10-03 at 04:16 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by Slipjig View Post
    Actually, I'm totally okay with those gaps. I don't think the Bard generally SHOULD be able to go toe-to-toe with a Wizard in counterspell duels, or be as good at healing as the Cleric.
    In case the blue text above didn't make it clear, I'm okay with the Bard list having these large gaps as well. 9th-level-spells or not, at the end of the day they are Experts.

A bard can be your group's only offensive caster, much like it can be your group's only frontliner or healer, but that doesn't mean your group will have an easy time.

Frankly, I LIKE the fact that both the Bard and Artificer have a more limited spell list, it gives their magic a distinct flavor. I'd like to see Wizard do something similar.
    I've very curious what they do with Wizard, especially since it looks like every caster is going to be prepared now.

The main disadvantage of being prepared from 3.5 - needing to predict how much of a given spell you might need ahead of time each day - is gone in 5e.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, it's almost as though Bards are supposed to be worse at magic than the other full casters or something. What's the issue again?
    Concentration, that's the issue. They got rid of it off of guidance, it needs to go away for Dancing lights. And given that your snide remark about bards is wrong, I do not see this line of discussion being in the least bit productive.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Concentration, that's the issue. They got rid of it off of guidance, it needs to go away for Dancing lights. And given that your snide remark about bards is wrong, I do not see this line of discussion being in the least bit productive.
    It's not wrong. They have to wait until level 11 to get pretty foundational full caster tools, and even then, face huge tradeoffs for doing so. They are the worst full caster in terms of spell list by a mile, and will be so for the majority of most campaigns - which means their placement as Experts fits perfectly.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I'm not a fan of going full Vancian prepared. When I prep my spell list, I realize that I'm PROBABLY going to spend all my Level 1 slots on Healing Word, but I like the fact that I can have a few oddball spells like Snare or Skywrite in reserve just in case an opportunity comes up to use them.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not a fan of going full Vancian prepared. When I prep my spell list, I realize that I'm PROBABLY going to spend all my Level 1 slots on Healing Word, but I like the fact that I can have a few oddball spells like Snare or Skywrite in reserve just in case an opportunity comes up to use them.
    Skywrite being a ritual is handy. (That's from Xanathar's, though).