New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default What if Four Element was an option for all subclasses of monk?

Would it break anything to allow any monk of any subclass to choose an Elemental Discipline that they meet the level requirement for instead of a subclass feature they would otherwise get?

It is often argued that four elements is the weakest monk subclass, so in theory, replacing other subclasses' features with an elemental one should be a downgrade, right?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: What if Four Element was an option for all subclasses of monk?

It might break the flavour a bit if Shadow Monks are throwing around fireballs, Sun Soul Monks are using water attacks etc.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The only thing id be worried about is dropping a lacklustre subclass feature for one of the better elemental techniques, Like say Wholeness of Body for Fangs of the Fire Snake. Even then, not a whole lot of room for cherrypicking.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

I’d be perfectly fine with it, and as a general matter allow non-casters to mix and match subclass abilities. (Unless they’re just stacking abilities to squeeze out more DPR in an unbalancing way).

Also, years ago The community homebrewed a Way of the Four Monks. While it could probably use some updates, I used it in an campaign and it was very fun.

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...-Monk-Subclass

5. - Top - End - #5
    Spamalot in the Playground

In general I don't mind mixing and matching subclass features on underpowered subclasses. Four Elements features though don't solve monk's core issues, i.e. ki starvation in the lower tiers and poor scaling in the higher tiers. So I would probably either combine this with another buff or just use a fixed homebrew version of whatever subclass I'm trying to power up.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    It is often argued that four elements is the weakest monk subclass, so in theory, replacing other subclasses' features with an elemental one should be a downgrade, right?
    That would only be true if the subclass features were of uniform quality throughout their progression, and that's very much not the case for some subclasses. I would happily trade Open Palm's level 11 feature for practically anything.

Then again, nothing would go amiss if Open Palm got some modest buffs anyways. So... shrug.
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2022-09-29 at 12:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    That would only be true if the subclass features were of uniform quality throughout their progression, and that's very much not the case for some subclasses. I would happily trade Open Palm's level 11 feature for practically anything.

Then again, nothing would go amiss if Open Palm got some modest buffs anyways. So... shrug.
    I would definitely trade Open Palm's 11th lvl Sanctuary for the ability to drop a 9th lvl Fireball once per short rest.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Not at all, Monk is god awful anyway.