New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Religious sensitivity for dummies (ie, me)

Hope this is the right place to post this; apologies if it isn’t.

In the 3e forum, there’s a question about… clerical atonement? (Darn senility). I’m… concerned most anything I would post might be verboten.

Like, I think if I opened with, “well, let’s look at how real religions traditionally handle this”, that would be bad, right? So, if I instead evaluate “fantasy” religions? But if they took their practices from a real world Religion? Or their practices and (unbeknownst to my ignorant self) their name from a real world religion?

I’m concerned because I know Religion is an area where I’m extremely insensitive compared to most people (if someone said, “<Quertus>, <the Religion you practice irl> is stupid”, I’d just shrug, and ask why they believe that), and even throwing together random word salad, I’ve named things that already exist (Harmonious Convergence is a thing?), so I’m preemptively checking if I’m right to tread very carefully.

Any advice for dummies is appreciated.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Religious sensitivity for dummies (ie, me)

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    Like, I think if I opened with, “well, let’s look at how real religions traditionally handle this”, that would be bad, right? So, if I instead evaluate “fantasy” religions? But if they took their practices from a real world Religion? Or their practices and (unbeknownst to my ignorant self) their name from a real world religion?
    If I understand it correctly, discussing fictional religious practices and such is fine, even if they are based on something in the real world. Like how it's okay to discuss Thor from Marvel or OotS, even if he's obviously based on real world mythology.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: I'm going to close this to Forum commentary until Roland St. Jude can answer.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: A remarkably responsive answer to this can be found here. Basically, you can discuss fictional deities and religions all you want, but leave real world religion (past, present, and future) out of it.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex