New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

d20 Re: Defiance in Phlan [IC]

Ainigmah seems to realize something when the Tortle talks... Nodding to his counsel, she says, "Hmm... good question. Just asking, is asking for trouble. Not acting soon enough, could be monumentally worse."

"When I asked to sit next to the elven woman, she didn't seem like she had anything to hide if that helps things at all. She was blunt, very matter-of-fact... I'm not saying we should rule her out, since, and forgive the analogy, an illusionist in rags could well be a lion in sheep's clothing." After a pause, she clarifies. "'Things are not always as they seem.'"

She studies Yoggie again. "Maybe you could pretend to be some sort of a documentarian interested in magical items...?" ​She does not seem terribly convinced of her own "plan". Thank the gods she had other people to help her out in this endeavor!
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Defiance in Phlan [IC]

Trying his best to follow along with the discussion even if some of the magical lingo clearly eludes him, the lizardfolk lets out somewhat gurgling chuckle. "Going around asking about magical items is just asking for trouble...heheha, agreed! at least if someone has knowingly brought dangerous item around here. Just seems to be the sort of thing that someone willing to take actions like that would not ignore."

Pausing, he thinks back a bit. "The dragons-blood lady, she...was bit on edge. Apparently, some have tried to rob her a few times before she got here already, but it does prove she is carrying something important enough to really fight over at least? Do we have any other information outside the item, whatever it is, being tracked here?"

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Hearing the others discuss several of the other patrons in the tavern, Xamyra considers what she observed previously, attempting to isolate any conspicuous behavior that might be associated with the problem at hand.

Spoiler: Insight roll
    Show
    Insight (1d20+4)[24]

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Looking back through the interactions, Xamyra figures that, the most suspicious folk are the human and dwarf– because most everyone else was welcoming in a way that decidedly did not match the profile of someone smuggling something powerful– and the three Halflings at the bar, simply because they’re unknowns.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Xamyra speaks, first in Aquan to Yoggie, then in Elven to those who speak it, and finally struggles in Common, "The human and the dwarf . . . something about their behavior was off when I saw them. They are definitely hiding something. I would start with investigating them."

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

6. - Top - End - #36

"How to go about it..." Ainigmah ponders. After a moment's thought, she wags her finger. "I mean... does it sound like a bad idea to ask the human or the dwarf about their experiences...?"

With an almost smug confidence, the warlock says, "I mean, I'm cute and personable, I doubt they'd suspect me. I could act like some sort of a wide-eyed neophyte who wants to hear about their thrilling heroics, and then segue into their treasures." She rolls her eyes as she speaks the last sentence.
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Seeing that time is still of the essence, the lizardfolk monk shrugs. "It might be just me, but few of these people seem likely to just allow us to look what they ferry around. I am fairly quick, so if someone provides a distraction, I can try and snatch what the human and dwarf are guarding... and it is isn't the right item, we can try something else with one of the other possible culprits?"

8. - Top - End - #38

Ainigmah smiles. "Yes. Brilliant. I'll distract them, while you use your hands!"

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Yoggie repplies "Sounds like...we have a plan! I can assist...with the distraction as well."

10. - Top - End - #40

"So that we're on the same page..." Ainigmah starts, oblivious to any book-related puns that the Tortle mage might catch... "What'll you be doing?"

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

"I can sneak aarrrround aas wwwell. Ifff the ot-t-ther ffffails to ggrab it." Xamyra has difficulty getting through the words. She tries to indicate that she will work as back-up for Soga while the distraction is enacted.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

12. - Top - End - #42

Ainigmah nods. "Good...! Ready when the rest of you are."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

With time being somewhat of the essence, Soga goes on to head out towards their target. He takes a long way around, trying to cicrle at the pair during a moment other people are in motion as well to guarantee best possible odds: he has not been snatching things from people undetected all too often, but he is quite comfortable moving quickly and quietly!

Spoiler: Stealth roll
    Show
    (1d20+3)[18]

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Watching Soga, Xamyra decides to follow suit, sneaking to the other side in an effort to flank their target.

Spoiler: Stealth Roll
    Show
    (1d20+5)[23]

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

15. - Top - End - #45

Ainigmah makes use of a minor spell that creates a quill in her hand and steps out, beginning to talk to people. In particular, the human. She takes a scroll of her personal notes out of her case and approaches them.

"Well met!" She offers them a smile, before sitting down near them. "I, umm, couldn't help but notice that you're an adventurer. Have you got any stories that you'd like to share with me? I'm chronicling adventures for a children's book..." Then, she points to herself. "I'm Ainigmah, a travelling author."

Spoiler: Out of Character
    Show
    Casting prestidigitation to create a small quill in her hand.

Charisma Check: (1d20+3)[16]
    This is a Charisma check, to convince the human to interact with her.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

The Dwarf and human are no longer whispering to each other, both finally seeming more concerned with their meals than each other. The man answers. A book, you say? Well I’ll have you know that I’ve very recently been on an excursion through the Quivering Forest. A beautiful land, full of life and magic and romance… we, suppose we could not include certain parts he continues to drone on about befriending a herd of centaurs, fighting off a horde of goblins, and reacuing a noble’s daughter from capture.
    His dwarven companion also has her full attention on his tale.

Soga and Xamyra are able to get close enough to the table without being seen by either patron. When they get to the table, however, there is a small issue:

The dwarf woman has put her thigh through the bag’s strap, leaving it hanging off of the chair between her and the human. Though this is in line with the acquisition of a valuable item, it would be nearly impossible to grab the bag itself.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Somebody’s going to have to Sleaight if Hand this…

17. - Top - End - #47

Ainigmah pretends to be utterly fascinated, and scribbling along with the adventurer's accounting of things. ...in truth, she's just writing the word, "SCHLOCK" over and over again.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Using the distraction, Xamyra makes her move, sneaking her hand into the bag to grab its contents.

Spoiler: Sleight of Hand
    Show
    So, not sure if this is done with advantage or not or if Soga makes a separate roll. We both get +3. I'll roll once, and I guess Soga can roll if I miss, so sort of splitting advantage? (1d20+3)[21]

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

19. - Top - End - #49

Ainigmah pauses her writing, and looks at the storytellers. "You know... I didn't even get your names! And a hero needs a name."

Show
    It ain't Persuasion, but it's Charisma.

Charisma Check: (1d20+3)[12]
    Forgotten second roll!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Somehow, Xamyra is able to loosen the opening of the bag and reach into it without disturbing the Dwarf woman. Her fingers brush across glass, and she gently pulls out an orb of some kind. It's frosted, but something within is pulsing with an odd, blue-white energy.

Just when it looks like she's gotten away, however, the orb emits a muted, but distinct crackle that catches the attention of the two at the table.

The man turns to see Xamyra with the orb in hand, and with an aborted "What the-?" he reaches out to snatch it away.

However, the elf's careful grip on it didn't offer nearly the resistance he expected, and his hand moves far too fast on the withdraw, and he ends up slamming the orb against the table.

It cracks.

"... Well, sh-"

There's a more pronounced crack and a flash of light, and when it's over, the man is writing on the ground with electricity coursing through him, and the Dwarf is running toward the exit.

Show
    Look, I know this might seem like I'm wasting your effort, but the module says the thing has to break, so I broke the thing.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2022-11-20 at 06:24 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

Ainigmah curses. "...DAMN IT!"

With a gesture, she pours some positive healing energies into the writhing human man. Then, she takes of after the dwarf...

Show
    Going to use a Healing Light to keep this guy alive... or at least stable.
    Healing Light: (1d6)[3]
    Ainigmah then takes off after the dwarf.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

As Ainigmah rushes out after the dwarf, the remnants of her healing light wash over the man, seeming to keep the lightning from further harming him.

A small crowd has gathered, curious, concerned, and afraid, though Kolivar makes an attempt to get them to back away.

As the human man falls unconscious, the wild-looking elf pushes her way through the crowd, claiming to have expertise dealing with such ailments.

She hasn't even gotten too close to him, before the lightning jumps from the unconscious man, onto her! She, now, is screaming and writhing on the ground.

Spoiler: Initiative Order:
    Show

Next: Yoggie
    Soga
    Dwarf Lady
    Ainigmah
    Xamyra

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Yoggie tries to access the situation to understand what is going on.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Action: Arcana Check to try understing (1d20+5)[20]

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Yoggie was one of those that the elf had pushed out of her way in her Rush to help them man. He would have been there first, in fact, if not for her brutishness. So he gets a front row seat to the chaos as she succumbs to the lightning.

The lightning itself seemed… questioning… as it coursed through the man’s body. Seeking something, but unable to find it.

When the elf pushed past Yoggie and approached, however, there was an excitement in the air, as though the lightning itself had a Will of its own. It approached the elf happily as it leapt to her, and Yoggie can swear that it was thinking:

Home!

But then, disappointment and anger as it lashed out. The elf, it seems, is not what the lightning is looking for.

25. - Top - End - #55

Ainigmah continues her pursuit of the dwarf, running like a... hmm. "Bat out of hell" would not work for her otherworldly patronage... "Messenger out of Olympus", perhaps. The elves could call it "Arvandor" all they wanted, her dreams gave it a different name...

Out of Character
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dashing after the dwarf until she's caught-up-to.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Xamyra sprints after the Dwarf woman in an effort to help the human flank her.

Show
    Not sure if the Dwarf's previous description of fleeing constituted her turn or not. If not, she still precedes both Ainigmah and Xamyra in initiative, though she is slightly slower. Also, I believe Soga acts before any of us, so not sure how this will go

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

By the time Xamyra and Ainigmah make it through the crowd, the Dearf is already quite a ways down the road, but their longer legs allow them to gain on her.

Inside the tavern, as the Wild Elf is attacked by the lightning, it’s human victim opens his eyes— blank, with blue-white energy crackling through his irises— and stands to his feet, slowly making his way to the door.

Show
    20ft. Of movement to make it out of the tavern. Dwarf got out+ and additional 5 ft. during the “surprise round,” and then Dashed for her turn, so she’s currently 55 feet away from the door. You two are about 15 ft. behind her.

28. - Top - End - #58

Still in pursuit, Ainigmah pursues the dwarf like she's never pursued a dwarf before.

Out of Character - Actions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dash, dash, dash!
    This is just to establish that I'm still dashing. It's assumed, but still, I like to document this.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Xamyra dashes afterwards, looking for a possible means to either interrupt the Dwarf's flight or better intercept her.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Taking the dash action and rolling perception to see if I can make this easier in some way. (1d20+4)[21]

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

The dwarf's shorter legs make this chase a noble, but short-lived endeavor. Still, she doesn't give up, turning to see how close Ainigmah and Xamyra have caught up. It happens to be at a rather inopportune time- A line of children wearing flower crowns come marching out of the side street. Xamyra sees them, but the dwarf does not until it is too late. She makes a hard turn to avoid knocking the children over, and it slows her down long enough for the two- who had time to prepare and thus made it past the children without a problem- have caught up to her.

Show
    Figured I'd reward the good roll and save you 2 more turns of dashing. The kids gave her a Difficult Terrain penalty and cost her a bunch of movement. Assuming you want to grapple her, either both of you make individual Athletics checks, or one of you uses the Help action to give the other Advantage.

Spoiler: Initiative Order
    Show

In the Bar Outside
    Up Next Soga Ainigmah
    Sentient(?) Lightning Xamyra
    Yoggie Dwarf Lady

Last edited by John Cribati; 2022-12-25 at 07:36 PM.