New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Anyone else not going to play DnD 6e and keep playing 5e?

Quote Originally Posted by Amano666 View Post
    Personally I can't wait for there to be a whole new shiny forum devoted to 6e, that way I don't have to see the posts about it anymore.
    Be careful what you wish for, some of the 4e folks similarly couldn't wait for DnDNext/5e to get its own forum. 4e certainly has its own dedicated area now.

Quote Originally Posted by Amano666 View Post
    I honestly don't trust them anymore and feel that 5e was the last unpolluted edition we will see.
    I know some might disagree and think that 6e is going to be the greatest thing ever. Definitely not looking for a debate about why one edition is, or will be, superior. Lets have a positive discussion of what we love about 5e and it's future in light of the new edition announcement.
    If you truly want positivity as you claim, a good place to start might not be implying that the new thing that isn't even close to being out yet is "polluted"

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    My wife hates my stack of book, so I keep them in a cabinet the laundry room, where she doesn't have to look at them.
    I definitely don't want to go back to "stack of books!"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Be careful what you wish for, some of the 4e folks similarly couldn't wait for DnDNext/5e to get its own forum. 4e certainly has its own dedicated area now.

If you truly want positivity as you claim, a good place to start might not be implying that the new thing that isn't even close to being out yet is "polluted"

I definitely don't want to go back to "stack of books!"
    We've seen enough of the current team's priorities and work over the past few years for there to be plenty of cause for optimism or cynicism, depending how you feel about it.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    We've seen enough of the current team's priorities and work over the past few years for there to be plenty of cause for optimism or cynicism, depending how you feel about it.
    Yeah. And nothing in the UAs make me think anything has changed about all the stuff I don't like. And in fact, it's reinforced my lack of trust in their vision (both existence and details of said vision) and their ability to implement that vision in any way I will enjoy.

At this point, the breakdown of changes across both UAs for me personally goes like

Positive changes: 0
    Neutral changes: 0
    Unsure changes: Bunches, but the only ones I have any hope for are the grappling changes.
    Negative changes: Basically all of the rest.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    Sure, but "the new thing is trash, btw good vibes only please!" is more than a bit disingenuous. Certainly I don't see anyone in the 1DD threads demanding only positivity and no critique.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

I rarely reply to the third page of a thread. It seems pointless. But the open opinion-based 99% fact-free premise of the question is too good to pass up. Besides, my beloved companion dog (only 9 yrs old) died quietly next to me on the couch Saturday, and I need to do things to keep moving forward. That's the source of the bitter taste of this post.

I've written before the TCoE was the beginning of the end. And so it was. I don't understand WotC's process for making newer and more rules at all. A workable reasonable process might be:

Is something broken? What is broken? Is something unclear? Should it be clarified by rule or left to the DM to adjudicate? Will a rule change fix it?

Does the new rule add simplicity (a core principal of 5e vs 3e) or more complexity? Who will bear most of the burden of the new complexity, the player or the DM?

But we don't have that, do we? As I read new rules I ask, "Why?"

So, no, I don't think I will move much past 5e, I don't think I will run out of players, and it's unlikely I will buy more 5e books. Monsters of Multiverse and MToF before it are basically reprints of work I already had. And Fizbans? I got as a gift because I wouldn't use my own money. So far its worth everything I paid for it.

5e had every chance to make moves to make things easier for the DM. They didn't. Why would I expect a "new" D&D to be any smarter or self-aware?
    Last edited by Kurt Kurageous; 2022-10-03 at 01:04 PM.
    Pssst! Hey, buddy! Ya wanna buy a full color Tarokka Deck?
    (Only one left)

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Kurageous View Post
    I rarely reply to the third page of a thread. It seems pointless. But the open opinion-based 99% fact-free premise of the question is too good to pass up. Besides, my beloved companion dog (only 9 yrs old) died quietly next to me on the couch Saturday, and I need to do things to keep moving forward. That's the source of the bitter taste of this post.
    We had to put our 12 year 11 month old dog to sleep Friday afternoon. I feel your pain, brother.

Does the new rule add simplicity (a core principal of 5e vs 3e) or more complexity? Who will bear most of the burden of the new complexity, the player or the DM?
    But we don't have that, do we? As I read new rules I ask, "Why?"
    I can't recall any publisher, TSR or WoTC, ever framing it that way.
    I don't think I will run out of players, and it's unlikely I will buy more 5e books.
    The Curse of Strahd campaign can continue.
    And Fizbans? I got as a gift because I wouldn't use my own money. So far its worth everything I paid for it.
    It was worth more than that to me. I liked the upgrade to Dragonborn PC. I liked a few of the feats and magic items. I like the gem dragons as an occasional add on, but it's not a hard requirement. I liked the Draconian monsters.
    5e had every chance to make moves to make things easier for the DM. They didn't. Why would I expect a "new" D&D to be any smarter or self-aware?
    You can't, and for all that the DM's status was restored in 5e, rulings over rules, your point that DM overhead is increased is agreed.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We had to put our 12 year 11 month old dog to sleep Friday afternoon. I feel your pain, brother.
    That...sucks. Sorry to hear that man.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Necrosnoop110 View Post
    I suspect we will also have a transition issues from 5E to "6E aka 1DD" but this time because of too little difference and edition obfuscation/confusion.
    See, I would put my money on this, especially with 5e having a bigger audience with people who really enjoy it for how streamlined it is.

1DD is changing things 'just' enough so that people who are used to 5e are going to be constantly tripping up on remembering what is 5e, and what is 1DD.

Additionally, since the current sort of feeling is that 1DD is supposed to be similar to 5e, why not just stick with 5e?

In a lot of ways, I'm reminded of when Nintendo made the WiiU.
    Last edited by elyktsorb; 2022-10-03 at 10:01 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

3e to 3.5 to Pathfinder all seemed to do fairly small jumps in terms of system feel, and 3.5 and Pathfinder did pretty well for themselves.

I don't see why the jump from 5e to 5.5e(from the current shape its taking) would be a bad jump.

It is very early to tell one way or another at this point.
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

I'm definitely going to play the new edition, as soon as it comes out. As a matter of fact, I am already playtesting the UA on some Discord Play-by-Post servers.

I like changes and I am curious about game design. I am interested in seeing how this new version develops, and in participating to the feedback sessions, even if I don't get anything back in return.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Kurageous View Post
    Sorry to hear that, that must be hard.
    Last edited by follacchioso; 2022-10-04 at 07:08 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Honestly? 5e was useful for introducing new people to the group. Our current regulars are split half and half between 5e initiates and 3.5 veterans. We've recently started talking about taking the old edition for a spin to see how it goes, 1DnD isn't even an option on the table.

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
    3e to 3.5 to Pathfinder all seemed to do fairly small jumps in terms of system feel, and 3.5 and Pathfinder did pretty well for themselves.

I don't see why the jump from 5e to 5.5e(from the current shape its taking) would be a bad jump.

It is very early to tell one way or another at this point.
    Yeah, I don't get the doomsaying. Pathfinder was full of fiddly changes from 3.5, and it still ate 3.5's lunch after a while. There's something to be said for the edition that's actually making books, being promoted at conventions etc. And that's before factoring in DDB's potential to be a killer app.

Quote Originally Posted by follacchioso View Post
    I'm definitely going to play the new edition, as soon as it comes out. As a matter of fact, I am already playtesting the UA on some Discord Play-by-Post servers.

I like changes and I am curious about game design. I am interested in seeing how this new version develops, and in participating to the feedback sessions, even if I don't get anything back in return.
    My FLGS has a near-anything-goes game night, I'm going to talk them into letting me run either the UA Bard or Ranger. (Rogue needs too much work imo.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    My FLGS has a near-anything-goes game night, I'm going to talk them into letting me run either the UA Bard or Ranger. (Rogue needs too much work imo.)
    I fully expect you’ll be reporting back to us. I’ve only really done play test with my brother and wife, we rotate DMs. Any other players aren’t particularly adventurous.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post
    I fully expect you’ll be reporting back to us. I’ve only really done play test with my brother and wife, we rotate DMs. Any other players aren’t particularly adventurous.
    If I'm successful I'll let you know. Two weeks ago the resounding reply from folks was "wait, there's a playtest?"

The reaction to the Ardling was largely positive however. I didn't even get to mention the mechanical features, their eyes lit up at "can look like any anthropomorph" and "egyptian mythology theme."
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #75
    Pixie in the Playground

Yeah, my group of 7 is having a lot of fun with 5e and we have only been playing for a few years now, so we still have a lot of fun in store for us. We also already own tons of quality 3rd party products along with many dollars worth of Roll20 products, so we have no incentive to switch to 6e. We might poach a particular rule but we're definitely not looking to switch for many years.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

I won't switch that quickly. I just got really "good" at DMing this 5e thing. I only started 3 years ago so I think i'll just keep going with 5th for another campaign or two.