New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: OOTS #1269 - The Discussion Thread

As I said, stupidus already meant stupid before English was even a thing, so...

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    As I said, stupidus already meant stupid before English was even a thing, so...
    No. It meant stunned, shocked, unable to speak.

There's a reason for the term "stupefy" and "struck stupid".

3. - Top - End - #153

https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=stupid

Latin "Stupidus" had connotations of being foolish, as did every descendant. Any connotations of "Stunned" died out from English "stupid" over two and a half centuries ago.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

We should bring the old meaning back just so we can have Power Word: Stupid.

5. - Top - End - #155

Kobold

Anyone think it's funny how Roy has to sit on a stool meant for Small size creatures?

6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JonahFalcon View Post
    Anyone think it's funny how Roy has to sit on a stool meant for Small size creatures?
    He could have just sat on the floor like Haley and (apparently) Vaarsuvius, thereby freeing up one of the real stools. Perhaps his armour would make that difficult. But his sitting on a stool places him half a head higher than any of the other seated people.

7. - Top - End - #157

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    He could have just sat on the floor like Haley and (apparently) Vaarsuvius,
    Vaasrsuvius is levitating.
    Somehow it's a cantrip, or an elf power, or the most severe and persistent flautolence ever.
    Running naked in the playground!

[email protected]

8. - Top - End - #158

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    He could have just sat on the floor like Haley and (apparently) Vaarsuvius, thereby freeing up one of the real stools. Perhaps his armour would make that difficult. But his sitting on a stool places him half a head higher than any of the other seated people.
    But check out his legs.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio III View Post
    Vaasrsuvius is levitating.
    Somehow it's a cantrip, or an elf power, or the most severe and persistent flautolence ever.
    V's been doing that in the tunnel as well. We have seen them do it while meditating; nevertheless, my personal guess would be that they are merely using their Overland Flight there (yes, I am aware that Overland Flight doesn't provide the maneuverability needed for hovering, but Xykon was likewise shown using it in a way that shouldn't, by RAW, be possible unless the spell provided perfect flight or he invested heavily in feats facilitating such a use).

10. - Top - End - #160
    Pixie in the Playground

Stealing the noodles out of your soup. I will be stealing that. I wonder how long durkon will stay stuck. would be hilarious if Xykon shows up with him still stuck to a stool mimic.
    Wight Monk Drathon'Tal is wondering if he gets to drain levels today.
    Eat Dessert First, Life is uncertain. even if dessert is tasty chocolate sundae, or something far more creepy.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=stupid

Latin "Stupidus" had connotations of being foolish, as did every descendant. Any connotations of "Stunned" died out from English "stupid" over two and a half centuries ago.
    I think that part of the 'stunned' meaning is retained in the term 'stupor' from the same root.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

12. - Top - End - #162

"Stealing the noodles out of your soup" -- given the halfling cultural focus on food, I suppose it makes sense that their metaphors would be food-based.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

Belkar getting Durkon to give the mimic a massage is a straight up Wisdom call.

I don't see how a Wisdom of 22+ didn't even consider the posible negative outcomes. Makes for a great story but, RAW, this would've never happened.
    Last edited by alceryes; 2022-10-17 at 11:03 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by alceryes View Post
    Belkar getting Durkon to give the mimic a massage is a straight up Wisdom call.

I don't see how a Wisdom of 22+ didn't even consider the posible negative outcomes. Makes for a great story but, RAW, this would've never happened.
    If you want to classify it as RAW, it's not a straight Wis roll, it would be Dungeoneering.

However, RAW doesn't matter for the story, and has not for a very long time.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-10-17 at 11:06 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

15. - Top - End - #165

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    If you want to classify it as RAW, it's not a straight Wis roll, it would be Dungeoneering.

However, RAW doesn't matter for the story, and has not for a very long time.
    Understood regarding RAW.
    It would be dungeoneering if you're considering the check to be knowledge about the monster type, yes.
    As a player, I would call this a Wisdom check because the check gets way more functionally basic than knowing the moster type - "One part of me is stuck to this thing. What would happen if I put more parts of me on it?" As a DM, I would definitely allow this as a Wisdom roll.

16. - Top - End - #166

Understood regarding RAW.
    It would be dungeoneering if you're considering the check to be knowledge about the monster type, yes.
    As a player, I would call this a Wisdom check because the check gets way more functionally basic than knowing the moster type - "One part of me is stuck to this thing. What would happen if I put more parts of me on it?" As a DM, I would definitely allow this as a Wisdom roll.
    That'd be a great call if it was a surface with a sticky substance on it, since then it can't react. The mimic, being a creature, can react and the information given was specifically about how it make it react a certain way. If it was a horse, I'd call it animal handling. It's an aberration, so dungeoneering gets it.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-10-17 at 11:21 AM.

17. - Top - End - #167

Beholder

That'd be a great call if it was a surface with a sticky substance on it.
    Totally disagree
    The fact that it's already 'stuck to me butt' trumps any supposed knowledge of whether 'this thing is supposed to be sticky' or not.

Remember, Wisdom is applied intelligence to achieve a favorable outcome, or avoid an unfavorable one.

The old adage from my 1st and 2nd ed. days comes to mind.
    Intelligence - Tells you it's raining.
    Wisdom - Tells you to get out of the rain or you'll catch a cold.

This is 100% a Wisdom roll.

18. - Top - End - #168

Totally disagree
    The fact that it's already 'stuck to me butt' trumps any supposed knowledge of whether 'this thing is supposed to be sticky' or not.

Remember, Wisdom is applied intelligence to achieve a favorable outcome, or avoid an unfavorable one.

The old adage from my 1st and 2nd ed. days comes to mind.
    Intelligence - Tells you it's raining.
    Wisdom - Tells you to get out of the rain or you'll catch a cold.

This is 100% a Wisdom roll.
    By this logic, if you're already sitting on a horse, then all you need is a Dex roll to keep your balance and ride it.

Also, staying in rain doesn't suddenly give you a virus.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-10-17 at 11:40 AM.

19. - Top - End - #169

Beholder

By this logic, if a horse is standing nearby, then all you need is a Dex roll to jump on its back and ride it.
    They are nowhere near equivalent. Max jump height, knowledge of horseback riding, and horse reaction will come into play. I'm referring simply to a Wisdom check, based on objective knowledge, to know whether or not an action could lead to a negative outcome.

Also, staying in rain doesn't suddenly give you a virus.
    Agreed. It is a rather simplified example of Wisdom.
    However, it served its purpose, as I'm 100% sure you recognized the inference.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

That seems more like a Knowledge(Dungeoneering) check to know that mimics can do that, and then a Bluff check against Durkon's Sense Motive. The former is a class skill for him, and the latter is entirely with in the realm of d20 dice rolls.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #171

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    That seems more like a Knowledge(Dungeoneering) check to know that mimics can do that, and then a Bluff check against Durkon's Sense Motive. The former is a class skill for him, and the latter is entirely with in the realm of d20 dice rolls.
    I'm actually not even considering bluff or dungeoneering (although they are possibility).

I'm just talking about a straight Wisdom check based on objective knowledge - "One part of me is stuck to this thing. What would happen if I put more parts of me on it?"

22. - Top - End - #172
    Firbolg in the Playground

They are nowhere near equivalent. Max jump height, knowledge of horseback riding, and horse reaction will come into play. I'm referring simply to a Wisdom check, based on objective knowledge, to know whether or not an action could lead to a negative outcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    It's certainly not a WIS check.
    1. "Objective knowledge" falls under INT; the INT-based check that provides objective knowledge regarding aberrations is, as many have pointed out, called Knowledge (dungeoneering).
    2. As a ranger, Belkar is supposed to be good with critters. Listening to the "expert" is certainly not unwise and if Durkon didn't trust him, the check he needed was not straight WIS but, as Daniel correctly highlights, an opposed Sense Motive against Belkar's Bluff. Belkar's a good liar, and fooled Durkon many a time.
    3. Mimics are sapient creatures, capable of understanding Common. Durkon could have dismissed the advice to try and influence the stool's behaviour, but that would have required a CHA-based Diplomacy check.
    4. Ability checks are uncommon. Being insightful or reckless as befits one's WIS score is roleplaying the score, not making WIS checks.

23. - Top - End - #173

I slightly altered it while you were apparently writing your post, but I disagree with your assessment. They are more equivalent than you are treating them, because they are both treating how living creatures are reacting to you. This is an important facet that necessarily changes whta kind of check results.
    I'm actually not even considering bluff or dungeoneering (although they are possibility).

I'm just talking about a straight Wisdom check based on objective knowledge - "One part of me is stuck to this thing. What would happen if I put more parts of me on it?"
    "One part of me is stuck to this creature. How will it react if I try to handle it in a specific way? "

It's not a gluey stool. It is a creature. It exudes its sticky substance and can dissolve it at will.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-10-17 at 12:19 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    1. "Objective knowledge" falls under INT; the INT-based check that provides objective knowledge regarding aberrations is, as many have pointed out, called Knowledge (dungeoneering).
    100% agree. The actual objective knowledge itself is intelligence. Luckily, since he's already stuck to it, no check is needed - he knows things can stick to his stool/mimic.
    Making a judgement using that knowledge in order to gain a favorable outcome (and avoid an unfavorable one) is wisdom.

2. As a ranger, Belkar is supposed to be good with critters. Listening to the "expert" is certainly not unwise and if Durkon didn't trust him, the check he needed was not straight WIS but, as Daniel correctly highlights, an opposed Sense Motive against Belkar's Bluff. Belkar's a good liar, and fooled Durkon many a time.
    Again, I'm not even considering bluff, sense motive, or knowledge of the creature.

It's certainly not a WIS check.
    3. Mimics are sapient creatures, capable of understanding Common. Durkon could have dismissed the advice to try and influence the stool's behaviour, but that would have required a CHA-based Diplomacy check.
    This may come into play if you consider a dungeoneering check. I'm not.

4. Ability checks are uncommon. Being insightful or reckless as befits one's WIS score is roleplaying the score, not making WIS checks.
    I understand your point here and I think I may have mis-represented the point I was trying to make. My point is not that a Wisdom check would've been made if this was a TT game. Yes, that's what I implied but not what I meant.

My point is that Durkon, with a wisdom of 22+, would've never gotten his hands stuck - regardless of Belkar's suggestion.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Again, I'm not even considering bluff, sense motive, or knowledge of the creature.
    I suppose it is easier to reduce the situation to your preferred factor if you dismiss the others out of hand, yeah.

26. - Top - End - #176

I understand your point here and I think I may have mis-represented the point I was trying to make. My point is not that a Wisdom check would've been made if this was a TT game. Yes, that's what I implied but not what I meant.

My point is that Durkon, with a wisdom of 22+, would've never gotten his hands stuck - regardless of Belkar's suggestion.
    This is much more reasonable, but I still disagree, because of the main point that it's still a living creature. It can dissolve its glue whenever it wants. Durkon was told how to get it to dissolve its glue, and that advice as specifically regarding knowledge about how the creature reacts, from a person who would likely have such knowledge.

High wisdom doesn't mean you never make any mistakes.

27. - Top - End - #177

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I suppose it is easier to reduce the situation to your preferred factor if you dismiss the others out of hand, yeah.
    Yeah, again, I misspoke about there being a check needed.
    I really meant that, with such high wisdom, Durkon would've probably brought his ass-in-stool right over to Belkar and have him 'squeeze the stress right out of it'. This is the wisest thing to do. After all, Belkar's the animal expert, right?

And now that I've wrote that, I think Rich missed a wonderful couple comic panes of banter between Durkon (with ass-in-stool) and Belkar, (who, of course, refuses to touch the thing).

28. - Top - End - #178

This is much more reasonable, but I still disagree, because of the main point that it's still a living creature. It can dissolve its glue whenever it wants. Durkon was told how to get it to dissolve its glue, and that advice as specifically regarding knowledge about how the creature reacts, from a person who would likely have such knowledge.
    It's worth noting that it could have worked. It didn't because that particolar Mimic was not into massaging, and possibly because Durkon is bad at it. And wearing combat gloves.
    So it was a possibly reasonable suggestion.
    Running naked in the playground!

[email protected]

29. - Top - End - #179

Lizardfolk

It'd be a couple of checks imo
    First Belkars Bluff vs Durkons Sense Motive
    Then Durkon gets a Dungeoneering check to know if Belkars advice is a bad idea
    There's no evidence Durkon, a skill point poor class, has Sense Motive or Dungeoneering, so it'd be Bluff vs Wis followed by Int. The bluff would be heavily modded by Belkars past track record, his apparent heel-face turn, and that Serini, who would definitely know about mimics, didn't gainsay him.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Also Knowledge skills are Trained only, so if the DC is over I think 20 you can't make the roll at all.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.