A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Manually formatting posts on mobile (BBcode guide)

After lots of searching in different places, finally found the guide here: https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

And this post here: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...uide&p=8483419

There are references to an FAQ which used to be linked at the bottom of every page, but I can't find it anywhere now. Does it still exist? It's certainly not linked at the bottom of the forums now - just the Forum Rules.

Not sure how up to date the table stuff in the last thread is. If it's up to date, can it be stickied? If not, I'm willing to expand this post into a full guide (by copy-pasting the relevant bits from the above two posts) if someone will tell me which parts are and aren't usable in this particular forum, and whether we are still on vBulletin 4.x as per the Tables upgrade discussion.

Edit: I found the FAQ - it's a board functionality rather than a post. There is also a list of bbcode available on this forum. However, neither of the above are available at all on mobile style. Any way to fix that? Otherwise I'll happily copy them into forum posts with additional stuff for the tables.
    Last edited by theangelJean; 2022-10-01 at 10:03 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Manually formatting posts on mobile (BBcode guide)

Rough outline:
    Title: Accessing full site features (FAQ, formatting, avatars, signature) from mobile
    1) Switching between mobile style and full site
    2) Link to FAQ
    3) BBcode and a few manual formatting codes, link to Tables thread or summary of tables function
    4) UserCP: can be accessed from full site only. Contacts, Signatures, preferences
    4a) Avatars: How to change non-custom avatar (in UserCP above), note that custom avatars are visible from full site only
    Last edited by theangelJean; 2022-10-13 at 04:55 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    Edit: I found the FAQ - it's a board functionality rather than a post. There is also a list of bbcode available on this forum. However, neither of the above are available at all on mobile style. Any way to fix that? Otherwise I'll happily copy them into forum posts with additional stuff for the tables.
    I'm unsure of how to assist. Yes, the mobile skin is rather minimalistic, and for full board functionality you do need to switch to the full skin (same as it is for e.g. setting up a signature). I see you have already found the link at the bottom of the page; that link seems to be preferable to an unofficial, possibly outdated version in these posts? I generally stay in full mode even from my phone at all times, but if you prefer the minimalist version, you can come here and click the link from there? Or do you mean that the link outright doesn't work in mobile?

Yours,

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2022-10-02 at 09:23 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

bottom left of the forum has a place for either playground sand or playground sand mobile

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I'm unsure of how to assist. Yes, the mobile skin is rather minimalistic, and for full board functionality you do need to switch to the full skin (same as it is for e.g. setting up a signature). I see you have already found the link at the bottom of the page; that link seems to be preferable to an unofficial, possibly outdated version in these posts? I generally stay in full mode even from my phone at all times, but if you prefer the minimalist version, you can come here and click the link from there? Or do you mean that the link outright doesn't work in mobile?

Yours,

Grey Wolf
    The links do not work at all in the mobile skin.
    Quote Originally Posted by FAQ and BBcode list pages in mobile mode
    We are sorry, this content is not supported via the mobile style.
    Apparently it is not supported at all by the default vBulletin mobile style. None of the FAQ pages are. Which is why the link at the bottom of the page was changed so it now goes to the Forum Rules (the default is to the FAQ).

Doesn't look like a trivial fix, either.

Quote Originally Posted by bramblefoot View Post
    bottom left of the forum has a place for either playground sand or playground sand mobile
    Once you switch to mobile style it's not there - instead you get a link to "Full Site" at the bottom of the page. Which means that people who have only ever used the site on mobile and use that link may not know where to look to change back to mobile mode. But that's a seperate issue.
    Last edited by theangelJean; 2022-10-03 at 01:08 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Sorry to double post, can I please have confirmation that there isn't a fix in the works for the above issues - specifically the FAQ and BBcode lists being unable to be accessed at all in the mobile style?

I assume that you're leaving this thread unlocked for now so that I can write the guide? I've put a rough outline in the second post. It's shaping up to be "All the things you can't do in the mobile style - and workarounds", so if someone in the background is frantically working to make them work then parts of it won't be necessary. Alternatively, if you would prefer to make it an Official Announcement and have it vetted by Staff, please let me know.