New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Only three spells - Simple Question

This is probably a too short a question for a full thread, but I don't know where else to ask it.

If you could only take 3 Evocation spells, Level 6 or less, what three would you take?

1, Contingency
    2, ???
    3, ???
    TTRPG's are not MMO's, you shouldn't be playing just to stack abilities and combos to down the BBEG in record time.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Only three spells - Simple Question

Contingency
    Resilient Sphere
    Wings of Cover

Although it does depend on the rest of the build, allowed sources, and so on.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2022-10-02 at 05:27 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Contingency, Wings of Flurry, Wings of Cover.

Contingency is one of the best defensive spells in the game and is just generally a way to get a self targeted spell of choice as a free action (just trigger it by speaking).

Wings of Cover is an excellent defensive immediate action option.

Wings of Flurry is uncapped force damage in a party firendly AoE with a strong Daze rider, pretty much nothing is going to resist either the damage or Daze making it a very reliable offensive option.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

What's the point of Contingency if you only know three spells?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Only three Evocation spells. Says nothing about the other schools.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Only three Evocation spells. Says nothing about the other schools.
    Even if it's only three, Resilient Sphere is actually a pretty potent one to drop into a Contingency.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: Only three spells - Simple Question

Invoke Magic is a good one. If all your defenses have failed and you're stuck in an antimagic field.... no you're not!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Original printing 3.0 Orb of Fire is pretty good - multiple (up to 15) target SoL, that also happens to deal damage.

But, really, if I only got 3, I’d probably want them to all be custom spells.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Contingency
    Resilient Sphere
    Wings of Cover

Although it does depend on the rest of the build, allowed sources, and so on.
    A lot of resources, and the ability to cast a frankly obscene amount or level 8 or less spells. Illusion/ Enchantment Bias.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder999 View Post
    Contingency, Wings of Flurry, Wings of Cover.

Contingency is one of the best defensive spells in the game and is just generally a way to get a self targeted spell of choice as a free action (just trigger it by speaking).

Wings of Cover is an excellent defensive immediate action option.

Wings of Flurry is uncapped force damage in a party firendly AoE with a strong Daze rider, pretty much nothing is going to resist either the damage or Daze making it a very reliable offensive option.
    Interesting. Thank you.

I recently read something that intrigued me, though I'm experienced enough to know if it's truly a good idea, was to have a damage spell Quickened (Via Rod I assume) to act as a kind of "Generic Dispel".
    TTRPG's are not MMO's, you shouldn't be playing just to stack abilities and combos to down the BBEG in record time.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
    A lot of resources, and the ability to cast a frankly obscene amount or level 8 or less spells. Illusion/ Enchantment Bias.

Interesting. Thank you.

I recently read something that intrigued me, though I'm experienced enough to know if it's truly a good idea, was to have a damage spell Quickened (Via Rod I assume) to act as a kind of "Generic Dispel".
    You can't use quicken spell/rod for this since swift actions (which quickened spells are) can only be done on your turn. However, you can definitely use immediate action spells to interrupt casting by forcing a concentration check with damage. There are a few immediate action spells that do damage; however, typically you would use Celerity to just take a standard action in the middle of someone else's casting and hit them with something they aren't immune to.
    Being immune to Daze to avoid Celerity's drawback is helpful in this case, but not required for the overall effect.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel7284 View Post
    You can't use quicken spell/rod for this since swift actions (which quickened spells are) can only be done on your turn.
    Is that some kind of errata? My book says "Casting a Quickened Spell is a Free Action"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Is that some kind of errata? My book says "Casting a Quickened Spell is a Free Action"
    Swift actions were not around when the Player's Handbook was printed. However, very soon into 3.5 they got tired of writing "free action usable once per turn" and created swift and immediate actions. Don't recall off-hand which books updated it. Quicken spell is indeed swift and not immediate, which is notably a downgrade from the original wording, but admittedly is simpler when you don't have to figure out every combat WHOSE "free action" happens first at high levels.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Free actions can only be done on your turn, just like any other action. Some free actions are specified as being usable when it’s not your turn, such as speaking.