New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Completely Inconsequential Hot-Takes

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It is a romantic language! Romantic. Latin derivative. People love to say it's kissy kissy romantic but it's Latin romantic.
    Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    And I suppose Romantic sounds better than Roman-ish. And it's easier to write and say than Roman-derived or Latin-derived.
    Romanesque?
    I'd recommend Romance or Romanic instead; Romantic is more commonly used to refer stuff associated with the (roughly) 19th century current of thought.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I think the correct term is romance language.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    I'd recommend Romance
    While the phrase doesn't really fit, the mechanism behind it isn't that far off - the euphemism treadmill kind of took "romance" in a different direction to the point that I, for one, would not mind a different variation of "roman-[suffix]".
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

While the phrase doesn't really fit, the mechanism behind it isn't that far off - the euphemism treadmill kind of took "romance" in a different direction to the point that I, for one, would not mind a different variation of "roman-[suffix]".
    Isn't that true of romantic as well?

In any case, how about "romane"?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #34

Isn't that true of romantic as well?
    Yep.
    In any case, how about "romane"?
    Let us.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Inconsequential hot take.

The US Customs help and even damage desk (as in customs crushed your stuff not as part of a destructive inspection) is easier to deal with and less emotionally draining than the UPS damage desk (of we dropped your stuff and it went snap type) because they are deeply tied to an inflexible electronic system that if it doesn't work (it got overloads just after Ian) it just can not handle anything or correct itself. Not to say the US Customs help is good by any means, just less awful.

also I am out of spoons. and currently hate the very concept of looking at my email or calling these people again

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    Well, Roman would imply "still part of everything Roman." That would seem like too restrictive of a category for the languages, or too expensive of a category for "everything Roman." So, I can understand the desire for a suffix to imply a looser relationship.

And I suppose Romantic sounds better than Roman-ish. And it's easier to write and say than Roman-derived or Latin-derived.
    Also you need a second adjective as Roman language could be taken as "a language spoken in Rome/Roman empire" like Ventic, Oscan, or Umbrian (which as fellow Italic Languages would be similar) but as Coptic, Punic, German/Gothic, Celt, and lots of Greek were also spoken there/then so Roman Language would have a very different meaning than a Romantic language.
    Last edited by sktarq; 2022-11-01 at 05:34 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    Also you need a second adjective as Roman language could be taken as "a language spoken in Rome/Roman empire" like Ventic, Oscan, or Umbrian (which as fellow Italic Languages would be similar) but as Coptic, Punic, German/Gothic, Celt, and lots of Greek were also spoken there/then so Roman Language would have a very different meaning than a Romantic language.
    I suppose that makes sense. Although it still leaves the wuestion of how the letter "t" got into the word
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

Romey
    10 character minimum
    If a tree falls in the forest and the PCs aren't around to hear it... what do I roll to see how loud it is?

Is 3.5 a fried-egg, chili-chutney sandwich?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

I absolutely adore the band Rush. Their complex highly demanding music, the philosophical nature of their lyrics, the sheer power of their presentation..... It's wonderful. But some of their songs also have a trait that infuriates me over and over again: they're formatted in such a manner as to make attempts to sing it, PAINFULLY easy to mess up verses.

Take Chain Lightning for example. The first two sets of verses:
    energy is contagious, enthusiasm spreads,
    Tides respond to lunar gravitation, everything turns in synchronous relation.

Laughter is infectious, excitement goes to my head,
    Winds are stirred by planets in rotation, sparks ignite and spread new information!
    I know these words by heart, and yet the tempo and musical notes to sing them to are so perfect a repetition that I find myself using the wrong words and combinations at times! On one of my favorite Rush songs, and I have to deal with this risk of fumble every time I want to sing it!

WHY?! WHY DID THEY DESIGN SOME OF THEIR SONGS TO BE SO EASY TO SWAP VERSES ON OR LOSE YOUR PLACE DURING?! Did they want singing along to be a challenge for their audience? Were they just cranking out album filler that just so happened to result in their better songs? I don't know! I DON'T FREAKING KNOW!
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by ZhonLord View Post
    I absolutely adore the band Rush.
    If you haven't already, you should check out the movie Fanboys. It's about Star Wars, but trust me on this, I think you'd like it.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by hewhosaysfish View Post
    Romey
    Will get mixed up in the Romany (Gypsy) ethnic group and slurs attached.

Also hot take:
    the movie Rush is massively more difficult to sell to someone as something worth watching than getting them to watch it a second time. And I think this centers on the idea of movies being "about" something.
    Saying it is about a 1970's car racing rivalry doesn't do it justice and gets dismissed as a "sports movie"
    Saying it is about the bonds of rivalry and respect that can occur between deeply different people and acts as a character study just gets it dismissed as navel gazing mumblecore.

11. - Top - End - #41

Will get mixed up in the Romany
    I'm not sure I have ever seen that spelled with a y before.

Quote Originally Posted by hewhosaysfish View Post
    Romey
    You are dead to me, hewhosaysfish.

But seriously, what's wrong with Romanic? It's very much an established, real word and so far as I can tell, it doesn't have the plysemy issues that plague Romantic.

12. - Top - End - #42

But seriously, what's wrong with Romanic? It's very much an established, real word and so far as I can tell, it doesn't have the plysemy issues that plague Romantic.
    Depends, is Romania still a country?
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

If you haven't already, you should check out the movie Fanboys. It's about Star Wars, but trust me on this, I think you'd like it.
    Oooh, excellent suggestion. I second this.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Also hot take:
    the movie Rush is massively more difficult to sell to someone as something worth watching than getting them to watch it a second time. And I think this centers on the idea of movies being "about" something.
    Saying it is about a 1970's car racing rivalry doesn't do it justice and gets dismissed as a "sports movie"
    Saying it is about the bonds of rivalry and respect that can occur between deeply different people and acts as a character study just gets it dismissed as navel gazing mumblecore.
    Tell 'em it's Talladega Nights played straight.

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    De jure? It certainly is. Why?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Thank you everybody for your inconsequential rants! So happy to see this thread still kicking after I dropped it and just...wandered off, I guess

Did they want singing along to be a challenge for their audience? ... I don't know! I DON'T FREAKING KNOW!
    With only a passing knowledge of Rush's whole "brand", I wouldn't be surprised if yeah, they wanted enjoying their songs to be a frustrating experience

New hot take:
    We watched the Legend of Vox Machina animated series awhile ago but this one is still irking me. There's a fight scene where they're trying to kill Percy's former tutor who betrayed the family in exchange for magic powers (specifically a magic tongue which, by the way, ew).

And the tutor is using all this scary magic and creating golems and dominating the party members into fighting each other, and there's lots of nice drama and cool fighting, but...Percy is a gunslinger and the tutor is just standing across an empty hall from him. He has a hilariously clear shot at the dude. Tutor also clearly doesn't have any magic armor or shield spell or anything - he ultimately does get dusted in a single shot. Percy doesn't have any conflicted feelings about killing this dude - he's already vowed to get vengeance on him through bloody, bloody murder.

I cannot come up with a single good reason Percy didn't just raise his gun and shoot the dude. And there were so many easy ways they could've framed that up: have him shoot and it deflects off a magic barrier. Have a minion immediately attack Percy and pressure him so he can't get a clear shot. Make him more focused on saving his sister. Have his gun jam or get knocked away. Hell, have the tutor try to charm PERCY and watch as he tries to fight it off and ultimately does, turns, and kills the dude. Anything.

It's a LONG fight scene. And again, it's very cool. But I was just sitting there the whole time yelling at the TV "Shoot him! Shoot him fatally!"
    Last edited by Ionathus; 2022-11-17 at 11:11 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    The director of the movie Ad Astra said "What I’m trying to do is the most realistic depiction of space travel that’s been put in a movie". I don't think he could have failed worse if he tried.
    Alas, you're not wrong.

I really wanted to like Ad Astra, in the vein of The Martian and Gravity. Alas, I can never get those two hours of my life back.
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
    -The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
    https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.c...tionchallenge/

18. - Top - End - #48

ClericGuy

This qualifies as inconsequential from an everyday person's perspective, but may be a shared rant for fellow foodies:

WHY DO GROCERY STORES ONLY CARRY ONE VARIETY OF GARLIC?! Even garden markets like Michigan's Horrocks store chain only carry two! But if you have ever been to a farmer's market, you can find up to twenty different varieties! And each one has a different impact on what you're cooking:

Spanish roja is effectively a "true" garlic that has a mild/sweet combination that's great for cooking in frying pan dishes.

German white has a strong lingering flavor that lets it hold its own in soups and stews.

Asian Tempest has a creamy texture when minced/crushed and a smooth sweet flavor that enhances dishes that use a sauce or glaze.

But no, grocery stores only carry the basic of the basic,the commonplace white elephant. The sheer offense to cooking is beyond an insult, and so many people don't even know it's a problem! ADD VARIETY, GROCERY STORES! ADD MORE KINDS OF GARLIC TO YOUR SHELVES!!!
    Last edited by ZhonLord; 2022-11-17 at 12:26 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

This qualifies as inconsequential from an everyday person's perspective, but may be a shared rant for fellow foodies:

WHY DO GROCERY STORES ONLY CARRY ONE VARIETY OF GARLIC?! Even garden markets like Michigan's Horrocks store chain only carry two! But if you have ever been to a farmer's market, you can find up to twenty different varieties! And each one has a different impact on what you're cooking:

Spanish roja is effectively a "true" garlic that has a mild/sweet combination that's great for cooking in frying pan dishes.

German white has a strong lingering flavor that lets it hold its own in soups and stews.

Asian Tempest has a creamy texture when minced/crushed and a smooth sweet flavor that enhances dishes that use a sauce or glaze.

But no, grocery stores only carry the basic of the basic,the commonplace white elephant. The sheer offense to cooking is beyond an insult, and so many people don't even know it's a problem! ADD VARIETY, GROCERY STORES! ADD MORE KINDS OF GARLIC TO YOUR SHELVES!!!
    Chances are its because the other varieties are niche enough that they would lose money keeping it in stock. There are plenty of items that my store can get that we just dont, because we end up pitching more than we sell.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

TIL there's more than one kind of garlic! Now I gotta try these - thanks for the pairing recommendations!

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    In the Dutch language there are two words for "brother in law".

One of these is a bit archaic, but both words are still valid words.

There are also two types of brother in law: the brother of your partner, and the partner of your sibling - two very different connections.

So we have two words, and two meanings.
    And yet, both words have both meanings. The two words are synonyms and homonyms.

That's... it bothers me. When you have two words and two meanings, you might as well give one word one meaning, and the other word the other meaning. Right? That's efficient use of your words!

But I haven't ever managed to convince anyone that this is a pressing issue that needs to be solved.
    I understand this annoyance even if I don't understand Dutch!

I'm no prescriptivist but it seems like a lot of heartache could be saved by just standardizing which of those two words is used for which distinct meaning. I am sorry it's so vague. Reminds me of the difference between "a few" "a couple" "several" and "a handful".

22. - Top - End - #52

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    TIL there's more than one kind of garlic!
    Exactly my point!
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    When you have two words and two meanings, you might as well give one word one meaning, and the other word the other meaning. Right? That's efficient use of your words!
    Another instance of this linguistic phenomenon is how "choice" and "decision" are both used to refer to the process of selecting something and to the outcome of that process, rather than each word having only one of the two meanings and vice versa.

There are probably lots of other examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    The existence of the phrases

'Needless to say"

"It goes without saying"

And other such things are just word vomit. If it were needless to say, or it went without saying, you would not add 3 or 4 additional words.
    Yeah, not only are obvious things obvious, but it's obvious that they're obvious, so that doesn't need pointing out either!

So it goes without saying that "needless to say" is needless to say. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    But I was just sitting there the whole time yelling at the TV "Shoot him! Shoot him fatally!"
    Hardly unusual, although that's typically more of a villain thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devils_Advocate View Post
    Another instance of this linguistic phenomenon is how "choice" and "decision" are both used to refer to the process of selecting something and to the outcome of that process, rather than each word having only one of the two meanings and vice versa.
    Oh man, why'd you explain it? Now it's bothering me too.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stonehead View Post
    You don't know lucky you are. French uses the same word for both "guest" and "host" (hôte) even though they are opposite and it's driving me crazy.

The same goes for "to rent" (louer), without context, I can't tell whether you're taking or receiving money! (This one also works in English somewhat.)
    Forum Wisdom

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by Stonehead View Post
    English is famously cluttered. Don't let it bother you.

27. - Top - End - #57

The same goes for "to rent" (louer), without context, I can't tell whether you're taking or receiving money! (This one also works in English somewhat.)
    Technically English doesn't use different words for that either it just adds a word in one case (rent vs. rent out)
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Technically English doesn't use different words for that either it just adds a word in one case (rent vs. rent out)
    Yep. I've heard "rent" used for both sides of the equation in American English.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Hence "This one also works in English somewhat."
    Forum Wisdom

30. - Top - End - #60

You don't know lucky you are. French uses the same word for both "guest" and "host" (hôte) even though they are opposite and it's driving me crazy.

I've just realised that Cantonese is full of these, including "hire" as well as "borrow/lend".

I am not sure if it's the same in other Chinese languages, because they use different grammar and vocabulary. I have noticed some places where Standard Chinese adds a second specifying character, while Cantonese would just go for a single character and leave you to rely on context and surrounding grammar.

Edit: forgot to reply to this:
    Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    De jure? It certainly is. Why?
    Just speculating that "Romanic" could be mistaken for implying an association with Romania. Regardless of political standing, now that I think of it.
    Last edited by theangelJean; 2022-11-21 at 07:59 PM.