New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: OOTS in 5E

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Question OOTS in 5E

Can someone direct me to a thread where the main OOTS characters have been discussed as 5E toons?

I'm first time GM'ing in a few months, and creating a city based scenario where the players will be taking on quests and adventures at the behest of the lord of the city as he looks to rebuild it after a period of war. I'm trying to create alternate groups also hired by the Lord to do additional tasks in the background, and the groups will occasionally criss cross, one of which will be OOTS, others based on different webcomics that I follow, and some based on Faerun lore.

If there's been no direct attempt to do this, can we brainstorm in here?

Any help appreciated

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS in 5E

I think it's been done a few times but haven't seen it recently.

Roy - Human Battlemaster or Champion Fighter
    Haley - Human Thief Rogue (needed for her UMD)
    Vaarsuvius - High Elf Evoker Wizard
    Durkon - Mountain Dwarf Tempest Cleric
    Belkar - Stout Halfling Hunter Ranger/Bersererker Barbarian

Elan would probably be toughest as he has a custom PrC that gives him Cha to attack and damage. You can get there with a refluffed Hexblade, or just reimagine his stats/journey to instead be a Swords/Valor bard.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I think it's been done a few times but haven't seen it recently.

Roy - Human Battlemaster or Champion Fighter
    Haley - Human Thief Rogue (needed for her UMD)
    Vaarsuvius - High Elf Evoker Wizard
    Durkon - Mountain Dwarf Tempest Cleric
    Belkar - Stout Halfling Hunter Ranger/Bersererker Barbarian

Elan would probably be toughest as he has a custom PrC that gives him Cha to attack and damage. You can get there with a refluffed Hexblade, or just reimagine his stats/journey to instead be a Swords/Valor bard.
    Pretty much this. I'm torn between saying Elan is a Sword Bard/Hexblade or Whisper Bard/Hexblade. Given he uses Charisma for attacks and damage, he absolutely has some Hexblade thrown in there. But he uses both flourishes and wordplay to damage his enemies...Personally I'm leaning towards Whisper Bard, given how much his rambling can terrify Roy and cause massive psychic damage X3
    Never let the fluff of a class define the personality of a character. Let Clerics be Atheist, let Barbarians be cowardly or calm, let Druids hate nature, and let Wizards know nothing about the arcane

Fun Fact: A monk in armor loses Martial Arts, Unarmored Defense, and Unarmored Movement, but keep all of their other abilities, including subclass features, and Stunning Strike works with melee weapon attacks. Make a Monk in Fullplate with a Greatsword >=D

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I actually made a thread about this a few years ago. Psyren just about summed it up.

I can't see Elan being a Hexblade, though. Swords or Valor bard fits much better.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mjp1050 View Post
    I actually made a thread about this a few years ago. Psyren just about summed it up.

I can't see Elan being a Hexblade, though. Swords or Valor bard fits much better.
    Well...Hexblade is there since Elan uses Charisma for his attacks. Its a pretty major part of his Prestige Class, and is what lets him fight so well. While the fluff of Hexblade is pretty iffy, I think its flexible enough that you could use it. I also don't think Valor Bard would be very good for Elan...Valor is more like a Skald, or a very Charismatic Fighter. I think Sword or Whispers would work best for him. Sword adds in special flourishes, which Elan tends to use a lot, Whispers basically uses one's words to harm people, which fits perfectly with his use of witty puns and wordplay to access his Charisma to hit/damage.
    Never let the fluff of a class define the personality of a character. Let Clerics be Atheist, let Barbarians be cowardly or calm, let Druids hate nature, and let Wizards know nothing about the arcane

Fun Fact: A monk in armor loses Martial Arts, Unarmored Defense, and Unarmored Movement, but keep all of their other abilities, including subclass features, and Stunning Strike works with melee weapon attacks. Make a Monk in Fullplate with a Greatsword >=D