Freak 0
    Danger +1
    Savior +1
    Superior +2
    Mundane -2

Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    Moves:
    It’s a Hobby: When you throw yourself into easy relief or run from something difficult, you may clear an additional Condition if you bring a teammate along for the ride.
    Thicker than water: When you accept the Influence of someone from your family, clear a Condition (GM’s choice) or mark potential. You may also pick which Label to shift up, though the GM still decides which Label you shift down.

Sloth is all too aware that this batch of knights seems to have resisted their ability moreso than the last ones, but they continue to examine the turret, even against Aqua Cat's nervous reluctance, and it becomes immediately apparent why after a moment...when they swivel the entire turret around and point it right at the shambling knights.

"Oh, I dunno," they say with a dry, almost bored look. "I think it looks like it'll work just fine...but I'm totally willing to test it out on you jokers, unless you wanna stand the **** down."

Spoiler: OOC Actions
    Show

Provoke = 8
    Last edited by D.Credibility; 2022-11-20 at 11:31 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: The Worst Generation: The New City

Livewire
    Conditions: Afraid, Hopeless, Insecure
    Potential: 2/5

Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    Danger: 0
    Freak: 1
    Savior: -1
    Superior: 2
    Mundane: 1

Show
    Troublemaker: When you help a teammate through destructive, criminal, or rule-breaking actions, you can give them a +2 instead of a +1 when you spend a Team from the pool.

Are You Watching Closely?: When you mislead, distract, or trick someone, roll +Superior. On a hit, they are fooled, at least for a moment. On a 10+, choose three. On a 7-9, choose two.

- you get an opportunity
    - you expose a weakness or flaw
    - you confuse them for some time
    - you avoid further entanglement

On a miss, you’re hopelessly embroiled in it and under pressure; mark a condition.

I Don’t Care What You Think!: Whenever you reject others’ Influence, add +2 to your roll.

The THUD of the sonic drill accompanies the smashing of wood and glass as Livewire is hurled through the doors of the shop. She rolls to a stop in the middle of the courtyard, reeling as she staggers to her feet. "Ow ... how'd he see me coming? That's- that can't be legal, right?" Her attention practically recoils from the broken doorway, the drill's thrumming pulse still resonating in her spine. Thankfully, her teammates are still here to take the next shot. "Hey! Smolder! Sunny! What're ya just standin' around for!? Come on, there're still people in there! I'll- I'll back you up!"

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

Colin Wilkinson aka The Witchfinder
    Conditions:
    Potential: 1/5

Show
    • Danger: 0
    • Freak: 0
    • Savior: +2
    • Superior: +1
    • Mundane: 0

Show
    • Before We Get Started: When you have time to closely observe your opposition before a fight, roll + Savior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1 and mark a condition. During the fight, you can spend your hold to name a character you observed and...: redirect their attack to another character or nowhere—into a wall or the sky; cross a distance between them and you ; stun them, close up or from a distance ; ignore all harm from one of their attacks ; escape any bindings or impediments

I can do this all day: When something causes you to remove yourself from a fight, you can shift Savior down (and another Label up) instead. If shifting Savior down would move it below -2, you have to leave the fight instead of shifting Labels.

He watches as Livewire is blasted out of the building into the courtyard. From the sound of things, though, it seems that the rest of the team was going to be here soon, and with Knight Prime already…well, primed with a weapon, he was really doubting he’d have the ability to set up any meaningful negotiations. If they were going to get through this, they were going to have to try and just end it as soon as possible.

”Well, sorry, but it looks like the team’s not really in a negotiating mood,” he says, stepping forward and activating his staff.

He appeared behind Knight Prime and their gun, and since he didn’t quite have the momentum for a full on tackle or something he instead went for simply whacking them with his staff. Hopefully the whole action would provide enough of a distraction the rest of the team could make their way in, too.

Spoiler: OOC Action
    Show

Roll Directly Engage: 2d6+0 = 4+3 = 7

Thinking he’s trying to create an opportunity for his allies by distracting Knight Prime enough in close-combat to not be manning the big sonic gun.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Pool: 1

Firebrand, Sunbird, Sloth, Umbral Cat: Down

As Livewire skids into the courtyard, the Knights facing down the last cannon throw down their arms. It's pretty obvious they know exactly how the weapon works and while Sloth's...sloth-ness seems to have dulled their movements it certainly hasn't dulled their mental faculties. Any offers of trips down to the court yard, back up, or otherwise however are short lived. With a sudden jolt, the court yard and most of the building fronts tremble, shake and then descend into the earth. Knights scramble, flinging themselves from the tops of the buildings for safety, the weapons fall into the hole and darkness below. What do you all do?

Livewire, Witchfinder, Knight Prime: Down As Well

The source isn't hard to find for why the ground under the shopping complex gives way, as the panels move into the building. Knight Prime takes the blow, staggering back and away from the wall where the hostages have been kept on the other side. It's not a blow hard enough to make him drop the gun, which you find out the hard way as the high pitched whine of the weapon pierces the air. It is enough to make the blast not aim true however, the resulting blast piercing into the ground near enough from the hole the Knight was making. For a moment, it seems all is well but as the ground starts to quake and tremble, it seems that last full powered blast is all the Knight needed. The ground buckles and shakes and then falls.

Knight Prime and his Knights go plummeting down as the front of the building and Witchfinder follows. Thankfully the rest of the building with the hostages do not follow, the room exposed but the hostages safe. The panels follow Knight Prime, somehow landing on the top of the rubble, disarmed at last in the murk beneath the streets.

Spoiler: Witchfinder
    Show
    Take a Condition from your fall

Elsewhere

Panels fade to sound effects, a pounding base, dull at first but as the panels reveal the interior of a night club, the source of the music is apparent. Large speakers boom out whatever trendy electronica is on the dance charts, throngs of barely clothed party goers clog up the dance floor. This is not where the panels end, instead moving to a quieter office behind the party. The office is a less chaotic affair, a large desk, a few comfortable chairs, a drinks cabinet. All the trappings of civility interposed against a zoo of flesh.

Almont Ducard is sat behind the desk, another figure lurking behind and to the side. The Sin, dressed immaculately compared to their compatriot. They're not alone however, the other seats occupied by two young women, no older than the team. We get a page for each. The first, a name emblazoned as Hydra, dressed in a dark green hoodie and ripped jeans, acrid smoke effects highlighting their name plate. The second, High Society, is dressed in a San Fransapporo High uniform, glasses perched at the end of an elegant nose, dark hair kept loose, shocks of blue running throughout.

"And to what do I owe this visit? I was informed that our services wouldn't be necessary for this particular job?" Pride offers, the viewer catching the meeting somewhere in the middle. The Sin's tone is kept at a usual register, friendly, unobtrusive.

"Things have changed. The Knights are all over the news, they mucked things up. We need someone who can be discreet and that's your job." Hydra offers, fingers tapping against the chair in aggitation, eyes darting to High Society, as if looking for...something. Approval? Confirmation? The other girl remains silent.

"So you want us to clean up the mess the people you gave the job to caused and to take over? A lesser person would be wounded, both by being skipped over and at the low offer for more work. I trust your boss has ideas to soothe my wounded pride?"

The young girls exchange looks before High Society places an envelope on the table. "That should cover any wounds you've received and then some and our boss is willing to negotiate further compensation once you've secured the grave site." Hydra offers alongside the envelope, fingers rapping further steccato against the arms of the chair. "If that's not enough th..."

Pride raises a hand, smiling brightly as Hydra falls silent. "That is compensation enough. We'll begin work right away. If that's our business concluded, might I offer a drink on the house and a waiver of the cover charge? That is, if you young ladies have nothing else to do today." Both young ladies stand, High Society shaking her head quickly as Hydra speaks for the both of them. "No thanks, being here for as long as we were is enough. We'll be in touch and I think we both know...don't screw this up."

The panels remain on Pride and their other guest as the two ladies leave, the Sin turning to their compatriot with a sigh. "I believe that means you're up, Gluttony."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Firebrand
    Conditions:
    Potential: 0/5

Show
    • Danger: +3
    • Freak: +2
    • Savior: -1
    • Mundane: -2

Show

Moves

Defeat Means Friendship: Whenever you Directly Engage an opponent you may choose to exchange Influence as an additional option when you make a hit.

Talk no Jutsu: When you Comfort or Support someone by engaging them in a fight, you may roll + Danger instead of Mundane. On a miss, mark a Condition as you exchange blows.

Firebrand arrives at the scene of the fighting just in time to see Livewire forcibly ejected from the building she'd been pulling hostages from. Concern is written large across her face as she disentangles herself from Sunbird and sets foot on the ground, though her worries are dispelled as Livewire calls out to the both of them. "Glad you're ok, Sparkles. Hang back if you need to, that looked like it hurt."

Heading into the building, Firebrand only manages a few steps before the powerful sonic blast rocks the ground beneath her, the shockwave enough to make her lose her balance and topple gracelessly over. With the floor then giving way and collapsing into a sinkhole, her eyes widen as she spots Witchfinder plummeting down alongside one of the Knights.

"COLIN!"

Scrambling back to her feet, Firebrand rushes for the freshly opened hole and leaps over the edge. Doing her best to focus her ki, a series of panels show her alternating between grabbing onto exposed rebar and concrete and shooting off jets of flame to slow her descent to a safer, albeit still fast, descent. As she lands a close up shows her hands and arms have suffered some minor scrapes, and what would likely become bruises in a few hours, but she is largely unscathed. Shooting the fallen Knight a wary glance, she hurries over to Witchfinder, dropping into a crouch next to him. "Hey, you good? Can you stand?"

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Continuing Firebrand's streak, rolled an 11 to Unleash on the Discord. Unless a different roll is called for, I think that means she gets down the hole without trouble? As ever, let me know if she needs to have rolled something else.

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

Livewire

Show

Show
    Troublemaker: When you help a teammate through destructive, criminal, or rule-breaking actions, you can give them a +2 instead of a +1 when you spend a Team from the pool.

Are You Watching Closely?: When you mislead, distract, or trick someone, roll +Superior. On a hit, they are fooled, at least for a moment. On a 10+, choose three. On a 7-9, choose two.

- you get an opportunity

On a miss, you’re hopelessly embroiled in it and under pressure; mark a condition.

I Don’t Care What You Think!: Whenever you reject others’ Influence, add +2 to your roll.

Livewire puffs up at Firebrand's suggestion, growling under her breath. "I'm not that hurt! I just wanted to give you guys a chance to save some people-" Her protestations are interrupted by the earthshaking CRASH of the street giving way. She stands in dumbstruck silence as the ground opens up, the only sound being her coughing from the dust in the air. Was that big sonic cannon capable of this? The thought made her even more scared of getting shot with it again, but it also gave her an idea. A quick peek over the side of the sinkhole confirmed her suspicions - Knight Prime was unarmed and laid out on the ground. Oh, and so was Witchfinder. Eh, he was probably fine. She'd seen him take worse. And hey, if he wanted to keep talking big about 'keeping up with responsibilities' and 'not giving up when the going gets rough', maybe he could practice what he preached.

"Hang on, I'm coming down!" With a flash of lightning, she bolts - heh - down the side of the sinkhole, the panel showing her trail weaving through rocks and outcroppings of steel pipes to reappear beside Firebrand and Witchfinder. "I don't need to hang back, and- and don't call me Sparkles!" In another flash, she darts over to the prone Knight Prime, flopping herself down to sit on his chest and shoot him a cocky smirk. "Hope you didn't think you were mighty, cause oh boy have you fallen. Now while we're here, mind telling me what you needed that thing for? Hey, if you cooperate, maybe I can put in a good word with- I dunno, whoever's gonna show up to haul your butt to jail. Maybe they'll give you a nicer cell. After all, you've already lost - not much left to lose, is there?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm thinking I'd like to provoke (rolled 10) Knight Prime into telling us why he brought a sonic drill capable of caving in an entire street to a newly-built shop square.
    Last edited by SkipperChips; 2022-12-07 at 03:54 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Sunbird

Conditions: Angry

Show
    Danger: +1
    Freak: +0
    Savior: +2
    Superior: +1
    Mundane: -1

Show
    Get Off My Cloud: Whenever you reject the Influence of a Hero who tries to impose their expectations upon you, use this move instead of Reject Influence. Roll + Danger. On a
    miss, they shift your Labels or mark a Condition. They may make a demand of you. On a 7-9 choose one, on a 10+ choose two:
    rebuff their expectations and clear a Condition
    temporarily lock a Label of your choice until time passes
    clear Influence, shift one Label up and another Label down
    make a demand of them

Go Your Own Way: When you respond to a threat or obstacle in your own way, roll + Savior. On a miss, you make the situation worse. Expose a flaw, give ground or give the opposition an Opportunity. On a hit, you distinguish yourself. On a 7-9, escalate the situation. On
    a 10+, clear a Condition or mark Potential.

Tom’s Diner: Whenever you clear a Condition by taking its associated action with a teammate, you may spend one team to clear an additional Condition, add a Team to the Pool, or give them a Potential.

Sunbird was internally celebrating until Firebrand shook them out of their thoughts. "Sure thing Fire! Let's getting going th.." We see a panel of what causes Sunbird to trail off which is the building collapsing. The next panel is Sunbird flying forward to look at the new sinkhole, bright leathers notable against the rubble. Trying to see if any of her teammates are caught up on this sudden mess. Really hoping they're not, while fearing they are. An expression of worry showing despite her attempt to conceal it. The concern was very real though, as Sunbird tried to think positively.

Show
    I got a 10 for for Assess the Situation so I'll ask what here can I use to help my teammates that fell in and what here is the greatest danger.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Halfling in the Playground

Sloth the Royal
    Conditions:
    Show
    Labels:
    Freak 0
    Danger +1
    Savior +1
    Superior +2
    Mundane -2

Show
    Moves:
    ItÂ’s a Hobby: When you throw yourself into easy relief or run from something difficult, you may clear an additional Condition if you bring a teammate along for the ride.
    Thicker than water: When you accept the Influence of someone from your family, clear a Condition (GMÂ’s choice) or mark potential. You may also pick which Label to shift up, though the GM still decides which Label you shift down.

Sloth is feeling pretty good about themself, smirking a bit at Umbral Cat, even allowing themself a little bit of a smug look--

RUMBLE

Sloth stops, blinking.

"...I didn't touch ****..."

And the rooftop begins to crumble beneath them, causing Sloth to grip tightly onto the only semi-stable object nearby: the turret. They've fallen before, of course, even been in a building that collapsed once or twice, so being on top of said building is a definite improvement to that unwelcome state of affairs...but it's still a pain. It's like that thing you've done that you hated. You know you'll survive, but it's not going to be fun for anyone involved.

"Get them off of here!" Sloth shout without thinking to their flying tag-along, pointing wildly at the nights at the at the knights as they grab onto the turret, hoping the small structure of the thing will, at the very least, provide some protection from what's going to come.

"Swear to god if I find out those idiots had something to do with this..." they grumble as gravity takes hold.

Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

Conditions: Insecure

Show

Show
    • Before We Get Started: When you have time to closely observe your opposition before a fight, roll + Savior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1 and mark a condition. During the fight, you can spend your hold to name a character you observed and...: redirect their attack to another character or nowhere—into a wall or the sky; cross a distance between them and you ; stun them, close up or from a distance ; ignore all harm from one of their attacks ; escape any bindings or impediments

I can do this all day: When something causes you to remove yourself from a fight, you can shift Savior down (and another Label up) instead. If shifting Savior down would move it below -2, you have to leave the fight instead of shifting Labels.

The good news was he did, in fact, hit the guy. The bad news was basically everything that came after that. The weapon went off, blasting holes everywhere, and apparently destabilized the building enough to send them all plummeting down a hole. He was already tumbling down before he had a chance to teleport, getting caught up in all the rubble. It took a moment for him to reorient himself, coughing up dust in the process.

Just as he was starting to get up, Firebrand was by his side asking if he was okay.

”Yeah, yeah, I’m alright,” he says, giving a few more coughs to finish clearing up his lungs. He could feel a tug on his cape, suggesting it was stuck under a rock. Well, that was what the easy detachment was for. Once things were secured he could come back and get it. Still, it was just one more bit of annoyance on an attack that just went all kinds of belly up.

Way to go, ‘Witchfinder’. You couldn’t disarm the bad guy, and now look at all this property damage. Bet one of the hostages probably got hurt too, and now you had to go and get ‘rescued’ by your teammates.

He stands up, brushes himself off, and tries to suppress any remaining look of annoyance on his face as he watches Livewire sit down on the enemy.

”Careful, there, Livewire. We should probably get some actual restraints on them before we start with all the gloating.”

Proper procedure first, then gloating, then obviously the important part.

”And once that’s done, we can probably do a little interrogation before everyone else shows up.

Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

The Team, Knight Prime and Umbra Cat: The Bottom

Be you hovering over the gaping pit, hanging from turrets or at the bottom of said pit, the hostage situation is at the very least resolved. A flood of civilians rushes out the backdoor of the building and into the waiting arms of the cops that have the place surrounded. Giant gaping pits are outside their pay grade however so don't expect them to rush in and give any of you big shot heroes a hand. Unfortunately a giant gaping hole is probably not what the developers of this nice new hotspot in Karakuri were hoping for and while you're not the cause...you're certainly going to get some of the blame.

The panels descend, alongside several of our heroes, to the bottom. This isn't some random sinkhole, something like that really couldn't exist in Karakuri Town. A hole will inevitably lead to one of the many now defunct tram-lines that crisscross the once dead city's underbelly, a gamble if it would be flooded, filled with ghosts and demons or both. With the cleansing of the city and the return of civilization to the city's shores the vast and cavernous tunnel you've all fallen into is at least dry and demon free. If it weren't for the piles of rubble and the twenty foot drop it might even be pleasant down here. Also not much of a trap considering the rest of the team and their powers.

The panels inch in further as Livewire settles on Knight Prime's chest, who probably wasn't going anywhere any time soon anyway what with the several story drop in heavy armor. A laugh, brittle and weak, escapes the villain's helmet though they make no real move to push the wily teen off his chest. "Why would I cut a deal with you? We haven't lost yet, what we were digging for's exposed and I've still got back up to go and get it. I'm exactly where I need to be."

As if on cue, the panels zoom up to where Sloth hangs precariously, the Knights also not having a great time of it on the slanting roof. Umbra Cat however seems quite at home on the near vertical incline. "Oh! Are you talking to me?" she asks as Sloth calls for help, slowly goat-walking her way over to the teetering sound cannon. With a kick, she sends the sound cannon and presumably Sloth over the edge before disappearing in a puff of smoke. It's a short hop as she reappears near one edge of the tunnels down below, taking a bow. "You've been wonderful Knight but I think this is where we part ways. Have fun with the heroes." She then takes off down into the darkness.

Mission Start
    - Keep collateral to a minimum
    - Find out why the Knights have taken this move
    - Save civilians

Mission Critical
    - Stop Umbra Cat

Spoiler: Sunbird
    Show
    If it's not clear, Knight Prime is in the greatest danger, and the team should be able to get themselves out of the sinkhole on their own or with the help of flyers and speedsters that the team has on hand.
    Last edited by Razade; 2022-12-17 at 04:18 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

Sloth the Royal
    Conditions:
    Angry
    Guilty
    Show
    Labels:
    Freak 0
    Danger +1
    Savior +1
    Superior +2
    Mundane -2

Show
    Moves:
    It’s a Hobby: When you throw yourself into easy relief or run from something difficult, you may clear an additional Condition if you bring a teammate along for the ride.
    Thicker than water: When you accept the Influence of someone from your family, clear a Condition (GM’s choice) or mark potential. You may also pick which Label to shift up, though the GM still decides which Label you shift down.

Sloth had even made the mistake, shortly before Umbra Cat reveals her true colors, of reaching out for help...only for their eyes to open imperceptibly wider as a super boot sends them teetering over the edge.

As they hang there for just a moment in frame, they sigh...and in the next frame, as they and their safety turret plummet three stories down, they are replaced in-frame by a text box saying "...knew I shoulda stayed in bed..."

Cut to the rest of the team on the bottom of the sinkhole, wrapping up with the supposed ringleader of the supposed hostage situation, talking amongst each other how best to close out another 10/10, 5-Star Heroic Rescue (tm)...

...next frame, a turret with a Sloth comes crashing down in the background with a streaming word bubble following them down with censored out wingdings font, leaving the actual stream of curses to the reader's imagination.

Show

Take a Powerful Blow: 7 - You struggle past the pain; mark two conditions (Sloth is angry and feels both stupid and guilty for trusting Umbra Cat)
    Last edited by D.Credibility; 2022-12-17 at 04:35 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Firebrand
    Conditions:

Show

Show

Moves

Defeat Means Friendship: Whenever you Directly Engage an opponent you may choose to exchange Influence as an additional option when you make a hit.

Talk no Jutsu: When you Comfort or Support someone by engaging them in a fight, you may roll + Danger instead of Mundane. On a miss, mark a Condition as you exchange blows.

As Livewire joins the rest of her team in the pit and declares her intent to fight, there's a close-up panel of Firebrand in the background looking up in surprise. Her friend's declaration left her feeling a measure of embarrassment, she hadn't been intending to irritate Kaylee. Witchfinder's response helped get her head back in the game. She rises to a standing position alongside him and watches the Knight warily. The abrupt arrival of Umbra Cat caught her off-guard.

"There's another one?" Scowling, Firebrand launches herself forward to chase after the rapidly disappearing new arrival, calling out to her team as she ran past them, "You guys keep an eye on the Knight! Livewire, you with me?" The panels show a close up of her face-on, the team in the background slightly out of focus as she runs after Umbra Cat. The plummeting Sloth along with the turret they were clinging to visible in frame mere moments from hitting the ground.

Despite her own athleticism, it quickly became apparent that Firebrand wasn't gaining any significant ground on her quarry. Her face set in a grimace as she focuses, Firebrand begins to jump as she runs, flinging her hands out behind herself as she fired out jets of flame to propel herself forward through the air. The bounding leaps enable her to close the distance as she vaults over Umbra Cat and skids to a halt in front of her, raising her hands into a fighting stance as she does. "That's as far as you go, howsabout you and I head back up and we'll talk about what you were looking to get from blowing a hole in the ground..?"

Show
    Rolled a 12 to Unleash letting Firebrand use her flames to boost herself fast enough to catch up to Umbra Cat. There is, of course, no obligation for her team to listen to her directions.

Also marked 1 potential because Birthdays are a thing Kyle likes to reward.

Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

Livewire

Show

Show

- you get an opportunity

Livewire jumps to her feet, the smirk on her face twisting into a grimace. She had all the cards here, not this ... pile of armor! Why was he snarking at her like that? "No way I'm just leaving this bag of bolts alone! There's still something he's not telling us!" In a flash, the next panel shows a bolt of lightning in Kaylee's hand, leveled at Knight Prime's nose."What exactly were you here for? What were you planning on doing with it? And what's she got to do with all this anyway? Come on, speed it up, I'm getting impatient!" Her foot taps next to the knight's head, the sparking blur casting a pale glow onto his helmet.

Show
    Maybe a pierce? That's what I was aiming for, but I'm not 100% sure it fits.

14. - Top - End - #44

Sloth the Royal
    Conditions:
    Potential:[/COLOR] 0/5
    Show
    Labels:
    Freak 0
    Danger +1
    Savior +1
    Superior +2
    Mundane -2

Show
    Moves:

From the smoldering ruin where the turret and Sloth crashed down, a squiggly voice bubble appears, "...don't worry, I'm fine..." Sloth grumbles, finally clawing their way out of the wreck. "I'd be even more fine if someone went to get the you-know-what that played me...I'd consider it a personal favor if you pushed her off something very high as well..." they cough, spitting out dust.

"Someone mind telling me what the hell you guys dragged me into this time? Or is this just the H-E-R-O gig at its best?"

Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Firebrand, Umbra Cat: Down the Tunnel

Firebrand's flight takes them flaming down the former corridor, face to face with the now revealed foe that is Umbra Cat. Here where the sunlight is dim, the villainess seems slightly less worried than one generally ought to be when facing down someone like Firebrand even as they skid to a halt. "It was only supposed to be a little hole until you and your friends showed up but here we are." Umbra Cat taunts, taking a step back and away from Firebrand with her hands up. "I'm afraid I have a date down this tunnel though, how about we talk then? In the meantime, why don't you and your friends learn to play nice with my pets?"

From the shadows two large panther-like forms draw forth, wispy and thin though their razor sharp claws look real and dangerous enough. Both charge Firebrand, snarling and hissing as Umbra Cat dashes down the corridor once more, descending further into the darkness.

Livewire and the Rest, Knight Prime: Bottom of the Hole

Knight Prime doesn't budge as lightning and feet threaten them, probably a wise move considering the danger posed by both. "They buried this place. Don't you think it's weird that everything else got cleaned up enough to use but they're building new tunnels for the Azure Way? Do these tunnels look in bad enough shape not to reuse?" The tone to the question is rhetorical. Even with a giant sonic cannon blasting a hole into them, the former rail tunnels look none the worse for wear now the water and ghosts are gone.

"It's because the Kusanagi got'em. After Eibon was defeated, and the city was cleansed. They knew something was down here..." The panels then leave our teammates, following after Umbra Cat. Panel after panel shows darkness, eyes and vague shapes following along, afterimages...things that once were but were no longer...until she breaks into sunlight. The room is large, circular, it's function a mystery covered over by craftsman. The ceiling above has a large glass skylight, the walls plastered over. A small walkway, which Umbra stands upon, lines a larger lake and at its center a small island covered over in grass. Two trees, their boughs twisted into a single thing, stand proud and thriving over a statue whiter than alabaster, seemingly crafted from light itself with its shine. A beautiful woman, her eyes turned to the sky above, her feet bare, the grass threading around delicate toes and winding up curved ankles as if the statue itself was grown from the very earth and soil. A text box hangs on the next pages, a double spread showing a shot of the entire large room from a birds eye perspective. "They knew the Seeds of Darkness were planted here."

The panels return to Knight Prime, a shot of his masked face, reflecting Livewire's own angry visage back at them, the next panel, its own owner's face obscured.
    Last edited by Razade; 2022-12-24 at 12:07 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Firebrand
    Conditions:

Show

Show

Moves

Firebrand scowls as Umbra Cat ignores her attempt at ending things peacefully. She starts to chase after the shadow-empowered woman with a yell of "Hey! Hey!" before having to quickly come to a halt as her route is cut off by one of the two shadow beasts. The viewpoint changes to an overhead panel, now showing Firebrand carefully watching both of the beasts. The light from her flaming fists casts a warm circle on the ground around her, the two shadows cast from the flickering light stretching out and dimming as they reach out to the darkness encroaching on her. A discrete text box appears in the corner with a chibi version of Firebrand's scowling face. The contents of the textbox are censored.

There's a beat panel as the three combatants size one another up. Then Firebrand is in motion moving toward the closer shadow-beast even as both bound toward her. Her best chance lay in taking one down ahead of the other rather than trying to fight both simultaneously. As the closer beast lept, she attempts to side-step, shifting her weight as she bought her leg around in a kick aimed at the beast's flank. With both beasts now in front of her rather than on either side, she then gives a wordless yell and uses her momentum to spin toward them and punch toward the two, fire flaring from her fist in an effort to cow them.

Show
    Rolled a 10 on a Direct Engage.

Choosing to Create an Opportunity for Allies and Impress/Surprise/Frighten the Opposition

Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

Conditions: Insecure

Show

Show

Not in the Handbook: When you contradict or go against the orders of a superior publicly, roll + Savior. On a miss, they check you. Expect punishment sooner rather than later. On a 7-9 they either balk or direct their frustrations at you. Take Influence over them or take +1 forward. Either way, they’ll bear a grudge against you for a while. On a 10+, they admit to the wrong call. Add a Team to the Pool and clear a Condition.

And once again things started falling apart as everyone ran off to go do their own thing. Sure, chasing after another individual involved in this breakdown wasn’t a bad idea, but it’d be nice to have a moment to actually establish some protocol and get everyone on board first. Instead, Firebrand ran off to chase, Sloth came crashing in swearing up a storm, and Livewire was about five seconds away from electrocuting the suspect. At the very least, though, it was giving a chance for him to play the ‘good cop’ in the duo.

”Hey, calm down there Livewire. Probably best we don’t send a million volts of electricity through the suspect,” he says, a calming tone as he puts a hand on her shoulder to physically assert the request just a little.

That said, there was a lot of information being spilled out here. Most of it was just some of the past history of the area. Ghosts and ghouls did make people rather uneasy, even if they were technically cleansed. That last little bit, however, was some new information that was going to need some follow through. Might as well try and salvage some big news out of this disaster of a mission. He could already sense the chewing out he was going to get for all this public property damage.

”Alright, well, that sounds like something really big and important. Why don’t you tell us why it was so important to get that it was worth holding this whole place hostage?”

Show

Rolled for Pierce the Mask, got a 3 (woo). So that’ll be +1 to Potential

Last edited by Whammy; 2022-12-25 at 08:06 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48

Sloth the Royal
    Conditions:
    Show
    Labels:
    Freak 0
    Danger +1
    Savior +1
    Superior +2
    Mundane -2

Show
    Moves:

"Beg to differ...I can't think of anything I'd rather do than watch Sparkles charge this ******* up like a battery until his head pops."

Sloth is grumbling and rolling their shoulder, walking from the wreckage. Their clothes are ruffled and dirty, tattered in some places, but they seem relatively unaffected - no worse for the wear, even after falling down several stories.

"One of you jerks gonna tell me what you dragged me into this time?" they continue as they square up with their "teammates", "or'm I gonna have to play 20 questions. Gotta warn you, I'm pretty good at it."

They do not look like they are in the mood for 20 questions.

Show

Christmas Advance: One of the various "new ability" advancements, taking "Super Strength and Durability" from the Newborn Playbook

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Firebrand, Shadow Monsters: Tunnel

The firey display from the fighter certainly gives the shadow beasts something to think about, though kicking through the one is more like kicking soup than some physical thing. Physical or not, the light from the flames keeps the two beasts at bay, snapping and snarling as more gleaming eyes fill the darkness behind them.

Witchfinder and the Rest of the Team, Knight Prime: Big Hole

"Why don't all of you run back to your handlers and see how fast you're taken off this case." Knight Prime shoots back, stone faced behind their metal face. "Your threats and your connections don't mean a thing, this isn't your city...you'll see that soon enough. I'll give you some friendly advice though. Head back to the mainland and keep your nose out of this. You and your Sin friend."

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

Livewire

Show

Show

- you get an opportunity

Stop Hitting Yourself!: When you try to embarrass or humiliate an opponent stronger than yourself in front of others, roll + Superior. On a miss you’ve drawn their attention but misjudged their abilities. Take a powerful blow and expect their focus to follow you for some time. On a 7-9 you successfully won the crowd over. Give your Team an Opportunity and mark a Condition. On a 10+, take Influence over your Opponent.

Livewire shrugs Witchfinder's hand off her shoulder, shooting him and Sloth an annoyed frown. "Alright, I'll play. Question 1 - don't call me Sparkles." She rattles off 19 more questions(?) at super-speed, the words on the page blurring and layering over each over to the point of incomprehensibility. "There, done. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go find Firebrand and those 'Seeds of Darkness'. No idea what they are, but if the Kusanagi were after 'em, they've gotta be something interesting." After a few stretches she disappears down the tunnel, her arcing trail lighting up its old stone walls.

After a few panels of Livewire running into dead ends or doubling back on her own lightning bolt, she eventually comes across Firebrand, facing off with a horde of shadowy cats. In an instant, she's everywhere, arcs of lightning filling the tunnel with a blinding light. Multiple bolts cross the space between Firebrand and the cats, barring them off from advancing even as the light assaults them from all sides. "Looks like I got here in the nick of time, huh?"

Show
    Rolling an Unleash for this. EDIT: Roll was a 2, let's go

Christmas Advance: Taking Stop Hitting Yourself! from the Worst Generation's Delinquent moves.
    Last edited by SkipperChips; 2022-12-26 at 11:17 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

Sloth the Royal
    Conditions:
    Show
    Labels:
    Freak 0
    Danger +1
    Savior +1
    Superior +2
    Mundane -2

Show
    Moves:

Sloth paused when they were called out by their supposed prisoner, who was acting like anything but a prisoner in that moment. It was all too easy to believe, in a situation like this, that you had won, but if there was one thing Sloth had learned from Pride and Envy and their ilk over the years, it's that dangerous, competent people never acted like they had an ace up their sleeve unless they had an ace up their sleeve.

And all too annoyingly, villains usually did while heroes often found their hands tied.

Sloth takes a moment, meeting their supposed captive's gaze, languid brown eyes narrowed as they try to figure out which ace it was that this jerk had up his sleeve...but he was a blank page, and Sloth was getting impatient.

So the question now is how to proceed...bluff?

Or find an ace of their own?

They open their mouth to tell Livewire to just go ahead and light him up...but she was already gone in a flash of light and energy.

Exhausting.

"You seem to be arguing awful hard to convince us you're of absolutely no use," Sloth says as they approach, head high, looking down their nose, down their chin at him, like they'd seen Pride do so often, "Weird play. Gonna have to let me know how that plays out for you."

They reach down, utterly ignoring Witch Hunter in that moment, grabbing him by the throat and hefting him up above their head.

"Wanna find out what it feels like to starve to death in your sleep?" they ask with a cold edge to their usual apathetic voice. "Spoiler: It doesn't feel like anything. You'll just nod off an never wake up. Blink and your eyes won't open again. How's that feel? Knowing every blink could be your last?"

...well, at least Sloth is still giving Witch Hunter an opportunity to play good cop!

Show

Pierce the Mask (-2) = 1
    Potential = 1/5
    Last edited by D.Credibility; 2022-12-27 at 12:02 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Firebrand
    Conditions:

Show

Show

Moves

Teenager with Attitude - When you stand in Defense of another while you are Angry, take +1 Ongoing until they are out of danger

Firebrand watches the shadow beasts warily, their fight having broken down to a delicately balanced moment of respite. The slowly increasing number of eyes in the dark was a real concern, but they didn't seem willing to approach her as long as she kept the flames between them. Slowly, warily, she started backing along the tunnel toward the direction Umbra Cat had escaped to. And then Livewire burst through to join the conflict, all motion and flickering electricity.

Her teammate's sudden arrival, as well as the rapid-fire light show, catch her off-guard and she reflexively shields her eyes, flames disappearing from her fists as she does. The lighting in the tunnel turns erratic, without the mediating effect of her flames, the flickering electricity provided inconsistent light and sharply defined shadows. Firebrand's eyes widen as she jumps to a conclusion on how this could impact the shadow beasts.

"Kaylee! Get back!" She reaches forward, attempting to predict where her teammate would be and tries to grab her arm to yank her to safety. At the same time, she swings her other hand back forward and attempts to recall the flame that had been holding the creatures at bay before Livewire's arrival.

Show
    Rolled a 5 on a Defend, so marking potential and awaiting consequences.

Also will be taking Teenager with Attitude from the Ranger playbook for my Christmas advance.

Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Firebrand, Livewire, Trouble: Tunnel

The large beasts seem to absorb everything thrown at them as Livewire appears on the scene, their bodies rippling and shifting under the assault much as they did with Firebrand's own kicks and flame. The darkness behind them only seems to grow, teeth soon accompanying the many and multiplying eyes in the darkness of the tunnel beyond. With a roar, the tunnel shakes and the shadows surge forward, gutting any flames that might come to Fierbrand's hands.

The panels return to the mouth of the tunnel, in the distance we can see the rest of the team and Knight Prime and then suddenly shadows explode from the tunnel entrance like a horde of bats escaping into the night, carrying Firebrand and Livewire along with it in a torrent. Roars echo down the hallway as the shadows disappate in the sunlight streaming down from the hole but the cascade doesn't seem to be letting up.

Spoiler: OOC Livewire and Firebrand
    Show
    You already rolled your Powerful Blows.

Sloth, Witchfinder, Sunbird, Knight Prime: Hole

"There are worse things than death in this world. The Truth revealed that much. I've nothing left to say to any of you heroes. You won't be apart of this when the real heroes show up anyway." Knight Prime practically spits the words at your feet. The sound of conflict ringing down the tunnel has grown louder at this point and the sudden explosion of shadows and predatory eyes throughout the tunnels you find yourselves in are probably a sign. A sign of what, who knows, in this town. But a sign.

Spoiler: OOC Witchfinder, Sloth, Sunbird
    Show
    Knight Prime is using his Influence on you. Roll to Reject or shift Savior down and Danger up.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Firebrand
    Conditions:
    Potential: 3/5

Show

Show

Moves

Teenager with Attitude - When you stand in Defense of another while you are Angry, take +1 Ongoing until they are out of danger

The panels tracking Firebrand's ejection from the tunnel alongside Livewire are chaotic and jumbled. Brief flashes of fire and desperate efforts to avoid getting seriously hurt give some purpose to her tumbling, though ultimately she's powerless to do more than protect herself as she's launched back into the chamber she'd first dropped into. Cradling the back of her head with her hands before she hits the ground, Firebrand finds she's fortunate enough to land on something softer than the solid rock floor she'd been expecting, though she still ends up on her back as she hits the floor.

Her attention snaps back to the tunnel entrance, tuning everything else out as she tenses ready to try and fend the shadows off again. But... "The sun..?" A glance up seems to confirm it, the raging beasts unable to enter the sunlight, "They're trapped in there, then..."

Belatedly, Firebrand realises the soft thing she'd landed on was trying to move. Glancing down, then quickly getting to her feet, she offers a hand out to Livewire, ready to help her back to her feet, "Sorry, you ok? You look red, I didn't burn you, did I?"

She looks back to the now inaccessible tunnel, to the surrounding ones, then to her other teammates. "That lady was after something at the end of the tunnel, and she's strong enough to summon these things. No way it can be good. I'm thinking we try and head her off using one of the other tunnels, unless you guys have any suggestions..?"

Show
    Potential marked for rolling a 5 on Take a Powerful Blow
    Last edited by Comissar; 2022-12-28 at 04:04 PM.

Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

Livewire
    Potential: 4/5

Show

Show

- you get an opportunity

Stop Hitting Yourself!: When you try to embarrass or humiliate an opponent stronger than yourself in front of others, roll + Superior. On a miss you’ve drawn their attention but misjudged their abilities. Take a powerful blow and expect their focus to follow you for some time. On a 7-9 you successfully won the crowd over. Give your Team an Opportunity and mark a Condition. On a 10+, take Influence over your Opponent.

Sparks and flashes of light from within the clouds of shadows are the only indicators of Lightwire's presence in the panels documenting Firebrand's forceful removal from the railcar tunnels. A few contain bolts of lightning flying off in different directions. The last one, however, quite clearly shows her getting forcefully ejected onto the sunlit ground - just in time for Firebrand to come crashing down on top of her. Her shriek of indignation is silenced by Firebrand's back, and it's not until she finally removes herself that a word escapes Kaylee's lips.

"-OW!" Kaylee rubs her nose as she sits up. "Watch where you land next time! Your butt nearly crushed me!" Her other hand drifts up to her cheek, feeling ... was that heat? Oh god, was she- quick! Divert attention! "And- yeah, I bet you did burn me a little bit! That's gotta be why my face is all red! Those flames of yours are hot!" Avoiding Firebrand's outstretched hand, she pushes herself up to her feet, looking back towards the tunnels. "If we gotta cut her off, I'll try to find my way around her. I'm the fastest one of us here, so if anyone can do it, it's me. You guys could just follow the lightning to catch up."
    Last edited by SkipperChips; 2023-01-03 at 07:14 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

Conditions: Insecure, Angry

Show
    • Danger: +1
    • Savior: +1

Show

Not in the Handbook: When you contradict or go against the orders of a superior publicly, roll + Savior. On a miss, they check you. Expect punishment sooner rather than later. On a 7-9 they either balk or direct their frustrations at you. Take Influence over them or take +1 forward. Either way, they’ll bear a grudge against you for a while. On a 10+, they admit to the wrong call. Add a Team to the Pool and clear a Condition.

Apparently this guy was just not going to collaborate but just rant and insult them. Unfortunately, emotional regulation was something he was still kind of getting control over. Since was part of Monsoon, getting treated like this felt a little insulting, and the grimace on his face signaled pretty well that it was bothering him.

”Hey, I’m a fully fledged Monsoon member, buddy. I am perfectly capable of...”

Before he could say anything else that essentially amounted to whining about his authority not being respected, the group of themselves found a wave of shadows exploding towards them from the tunnel the other two had gone down. The sunlight in their hole was apparently keeping them safe, but either they needed to get out of the hole or somehow get through to go help the others. But they also had a prisoner to deal with.

”Uggggh,” he said, face in hand as he thinks through anything.

”Of course we get a bunch of shadows attacking us when our light person is gone, and none of us got a way to clear that mess out.”

He walks back and forth as he thinks.

”Look’s like we’re just going to have to trust Firebrand and Livewire can handle it as their powers are better suited to dealing with...that.”

He motions at the shadows.

”And we’ll have to stay put till reinforcements arrive to deal with them.”

He motions at Knight Prime.

Show

Reject Influence roll failed: marked Angry, Savior Down & Danger Up

Last edited by Whammy; 2023-01-11 at 04:57 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Sunbird
    Conditions: Angry

Show
    Danger: +0
    Freak: +0
    Saviour: +2
    Superior: +2
    Mundane: -1

Show
    Get Off My Cloud: Whenever you reject the Influence of a Hero who tries to impose their expectations upon you, use this move instead of Reject Influence. Roll + Danger. On a miss, they shift your Labels or mark a Condition. They may make a demand of you. On a 7-9 choose one, on a 10+ choose two:
    -rebuff their expectations and clear a Condition
    -temporarily lock a Label of your choice until time passes
    -clear Influence, shift one Label up and another Label down
    -make a demand of them

Go Your Own Way: When you respond to a threat or obstacle in your own way, roll + Savior. On a miss, you make the situation worse. Expose a flaw, give ground or give the opposition an Opportunity. On a hit, you distinguish yourself. On a 7-9, escalate the situation. On
    a 10+, clear a Condition or mark Potential.

Tom’s Diner: Whenever you clear a Condition by taking its associated action with a teammate, you may spend one team to clear an additional Condition, add a Team to the Pool, or give them a Potential.

Sins of the Past: When you try to atone for the actions done by your family, roll + Savior. On a miss you’ve made things worse either by salting old wounds or complicating uneasy truces. On a hit, you’ve helped provide absolution. Either hold 1 or shift your Savior up and another Label down, your choice. Spend hold to call in a favor when you need it most. On a 10+ gain potential.

The panels zoom in on Sunbird in succession as she reels from Knight Prime's words. Then we see a thought bubble above her head, with a simple question: "What would Dad say? And with that, the right advice comes to mind immediately. "Take a deep breath, and think more clearly Aiko. You will know what to do next" came words in her father's soothing voice within her head. The panel shows Sunbird take a deep breath, with the following one showing her determined eyes now she knows how wrong Knight Prime is. "Oh we'll be here, and deal with this no matter what you think big guy. You're only saying that so we think you don't know anything more." Sunbird walks over to Knight Prime confidently, the panels focused on her stride. She leans down to the downed villain, her determination showing in her eyes behind the mask of her tradition. "So spill, because you're not fooling me." We saw one last panel of Sunbird standing there defiantly, the textbox above her reflecting her resolve and confidence.

Show
    Got a 7 on Reject Influence, so Sunbird will shift Superior up and Danger down as she tries to take the smart approach. The label changes are already reflected above and on her sheet. Which is then followed by a Provoke of 11 on Knight Prime, she wants him to tell everything he knows about this.

28. - Top - End - #58

Sloth the Royal
    Conditions:
    Angry
    Guilty
    Show
    Labels:
    Freak 0
    Danger +1
    Savior +1
    Superior +2
    Mundane -2

Show
    Moves:

Show
    Advances:
    Christmas Advance: Added ability "super strength and durability" from the Newborn playbook

"Good thing staying put is literally my specialty," Sloth mutters, still holding Knight Prime by his neck, though their eyes flick to the waves of darkness...and their newly returned "friends" complaining about butts.

"Looks like the gang's all here," they mutter. "Seriously, someone mind telling me what you got me into this time? Still waiting for my explanation..."

Show

Last edited by D.Credibility; 2023-01-06 at 02:51 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Firebrand
    Conditions:

Show

Show

Moves

Firebrand gives Livewire a strange look at her comments and her refusal of the hand up. She retracts her hand and nods, "Yeah, sorry. I'll be more careful next time." Turning her attention back to the shadow tunnel, then over her team, she spots Sloth for the first time. Brightening up, she gives an expansive wave and calls over "Hey! Sloth! Good to see you!"

"So! Short version, some shadow-powered chick is trying to get at something deeper in the tunnels, don't know what. We tried chasing her and she did that." Firebrand jerks her thumb at the tunnel mouth, "Livewire's probably the only person who can catch up to her now, and she'll have to detour, but we should probably all follow in case she needs back up."

Her gaze falls on the stricken Knight. "... I don't think he's going anywhere. As long as he's stable, I think we should just come back for him later. Shadow girl's gonna have the same answers he'd give us anyway."

She looks up to the rest, "Any questions? Objections? If not, we should probably get moving."

Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

The Team: The Hole

Any lingering questions would have to wait as the shadowy trail of the monster dissipates more and more into the streaming sunlight from above. The distract, and threat, now gone and the perpetrator of the hole in question subdued there's only one direction forward and at Firebrand's lead it would seem. The tunnel is clear of the shadows as you all walk down its salt stained lengths, nothing really ever gets the smell of water rot out and the moldy smell hangs heavy in the gloom.

Soon enough however you spill out into the sunlight glade, your target on the edge of the pool that sparkles with sapphire hues in the light that filters in from above. She doesn't look like she's geared up for a fight however, slumped and on her knees, arms out on either side and limp. Her head turns to you as she hears your approach, a look of defeated resignation on her tear stained cheeks.

"They're gone."

Her voice, so defiant and snarky before, is cracked and strained.

"The Seeds of Darkness...they're gone."

End Issue One.