New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Anyone here cook?

I have a few recipes I'm quite good at. First is my (well, actually, my late mother's) banana soup. It's a tomato soup in which you add some bananas to thicken and to sweeten the soup. Very nice and easy to make. Just add all ingredients in a pot, boil and then mix to a creamy texture.

The second thing I'm quite good at is chocolate mousse (and not the Swedish chef's version). I make it with half fondant and half milk chocolate so it's not as heavy (and Belgian chocolate of course).
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Decided to try doing a Ragu from fresh tomatoes again, currently got it on a low heat waiting for the tomatoes to soften before I add beef stock and simmer it for a few hours. Don't have any pork mince, but beef mince with some chopped chicken livers should work fine.

This is my second time doing it like this instead of just using tinned tomatoes, but honestly do it right and it works so much better.

Also going to prep a mushroom and goat's cheese risotto to take into work tomorrow. It'll take like an hour to get the mushrooms nice and work in all the stock, but it's a delicious use of some mushrooms I forgot about and need to use up (the ones I can't fit in I'll probably salt and bake, see if that'll work as a snack).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Making homemade pizza tonight, trying this recipe out. Got the dough and sauce already made from yesterday.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Something I quite like making sometimes is a macaroni-and-cheese made with something we have in New Zealand called "Tasty cheese" (it's cheddar that's been aged in a specific way for about 18 months), along with bacon, capsicum (bell pepper) and caramelised onions. The roux for the cheese sauce is made with the rendered fat from the bacon. Then I add a dollop of Dijon mustard, some onion powder, garlic powder and black pepper. It's really very good.
    Spoiler: Out-of-context quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...He would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Maybe Blackwing is a Schrödinger's familiar.
    Any given member of the Order needs to do a quantum measurement to see if they remember him

Azurite Name Inspirations
    Rich is a better writer than that!
    Free speech?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

I make a great pizza bread. Guaranteed to be in your top 3 pizzars you've ever eaten. U_U
    Last edited by Asmotherion; 2022-10-26 at 09:02 AM.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

6. - Top - End - #36
    Colossus in the Playground

I find that using a mixture of cheddar and mozzarella, both shredded, when making grilled cheese results in something that retains the strong cheesy flavor you'd expect while also having a nice and satisfying cheese pull.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

I usually make scrambled egg sandwiches or omelettes for myself (my chickens has pet chickens). I remember my first attempt in making Fettuccine Alfredo with pieces of a store-bought rotisserie chicken in it. Even though my mother actually loved it, there were a few things that could've made the dish better.

But ever since I've made that dish, there were a couple restaurants that my mother doesn't want to go to again because she actually said that the fettuccine alfredo that I made was better than theirs. Although there is one restaurant that has some pretty good fettuccine dish that we go to from time to time.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

I do cook, though not as often as I would like. I usually make simple meals like pasta or grilled chicken, but every once in a while I like to get creative and try something new. Recently, I made a dish that was a bit of an experiment: pork tenderloin with apricot glaze. It turned out surprisingly well, and my family loved it. I think I'll definitely be making it again soon.

9. - Top - End - #39

ClericGuy

I have become a foodie in recent years, trying out, adjusting and refining recipes along the way. It's fun to take something good and make it great!

My latest mastery was of a recipe that only needed two tweaks surprisingly. It originates from the D&D cookbook, Heroes' Feast: Delzoun Tide-me-over Meatballs and Sauce.

The meatballs are half pork sausage, half hamburger, with a structural paste of dark rye bread that's been soaked in heavy whipping cream and an egg. The sauce is a butter/flour roux with brown sugar, soy sauce, lemon juice and black pepper. And the whole thing is best served alongside a batch of egg noodles, just like swedish meatballs!

The end result is an intensely flavorful medley, high in fat and carbs, which gives you the energy to keep going through the day, or ensures you won't need ANY after-dinner snacks. I am thoroughly in love with them.
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Made this pie yesterday...

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...arlborough-pie

I need to tweak a few things next time out. Came out a bit too boozy & eggy.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    As an Old Worlder, I came here to contest the whole "[t]ell me where your grandmother came from and I can tell you how many kinds of pie you serve for Thanksgiving" thing, but then I realized zero is technically a number.

Came out a bit too boozy & eggy.
    Nothing's too boozy if the booze happens to be sherry!
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-11-13 at 08:15 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Nothing's too boozy if the booze happens to be sherry!
    Are you Frasier or Niles?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Didn't have Sherry, so I used Marsala instead. Realized what I would need to do to tweak it before Thanksgiving, integrate the booze better, drop the eggs down to 3 instead of 4...

...aaaaaaaand the hubby's brothers said "Ooops, forgot to tell you -- more people are making desserts! Can you only make 1 pie for Thanksgiving -- and can it be a normal blueberry?"

14. - Top - End - #44
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Are you Frasier or Niles?
    Last I checked, neither was a FLOWER.

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Didn't have Sherry, so I used Marsala instead.
    Hm. So long as it's a dry white variety, I suppose that's acceptable.

Realized what I would need to do to tweak it before Thanksgiving, integrate the booze better, drop the eggs down to 3 instead of 4...
    Good luck!

...aaaaaaaand the hubby's brothers said "Ooops, forgot to tell you -- more people are making desserts! Can you only make 1 pie for Thanksgiving -- and can it be a normal blueberry?"

That cannot stand. Kill 'em WITH FIRE!
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-11-13 at 09:50 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Last I checked, neither was a FLOWER.
    Niles was quite the delicate flower, if I recall correctly.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

16. - Top - End - #46

ClericGuy

New discovery, a frittata recipe that uses carrots, onions and bell peppers, but also chunks of easy-melt cheese like havarti dropped on top right before it goes in the oven. Result is a meal that tastes different with every bite and has occasional pockets of cheesy goodness as you work your way through it.
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

I do, although most of the time extremely simplistic dishes that I throw together to take to work as lunch. This would typically be: rice/pasta + some vegetables (frozen mixes or canned tomatoes which are way cheaper than the fresh kind) + beans/meat cooked together and seasoned in whatever I have at hand. I even experimented with using instant soups as flavoring, which I had a surplus of at one point - it worked pretty well. I do this kind of cooking when I am away from home and have limited tools to work with (just a microwave and no kitchen space to speak of). I does get the job done and is really quick to make.

When I am at home, I obviously do not subject my family to such things, but due to time constrains I still prefer simple things (anyone trying to juggle work, kids and tending to the house will understand that): spaghetti bolognese (although I add some non-traditional spices like smoked bell pepper), thick soups that are filling enough to be the whole meal, fried/grilled/baked meat served with some steamed* potatoes and vegetables etc. Not much time to experiment or go for more elaborate processes to do something special. The reason for various types of pancakes not being on the list is simply that my wife makes them way better.

I do try to bake when possible: simple buns (I like how garlic+onion ones turned out), cakes (recently learned to make Pavlov's meringue - surprisingly easy to do), cookies (rarely as rolling and cutting takes quite some time).

*Quite a while ago we got ourselves a steam cooker and the taste difference is immense - fully recommend this instead of regular cooking.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't do anything too fancy, but I can cook a few things at least. I keep telling myself I should be more adventurous in cooking, but it's hard to be motivated when I'm cooking just for myself and I'm also lazy.

I stir fry fairly often, usually with chicken and whatever veggies I have on hand (most often some combination of broccoli, cauliflower, green pepper, onion, and zucchini, but sometimes a few other things). I used to buy premade stir fry sauces but these days I mostly mix in spices and garlic for flavoring.

I have a pasta salad recipe that I created and riff on sometimes. It barely even counts as cooking since the only thing that actually needs to be heated is the pasta noodles, as everything else comes out of various cans, jars, and bottles. But it's tasty and easy to make when I'm otherwise not very motivated to cook.
    Spoiler: Pasta salad
    Show

I prefer tri-color rotini for the noodles, but have used penne, farfalle, and a couple others depending on what I have.
    Then I add in half a jar of green olives, half a can of black olives, half a jar of kalamata olives, a full jar of artichoke hearts, a can of stewed tomatoes, parmesan cheese, a jar of pesto sauce (I prefer red, but green works fine as well), and a spice blend that's primarily oregano but has some other stuff in it too. I just stir all of that in once I drain the noodles and it's good to go.

That's the base recipe, but I've changed it up depending on what else I have. I've added in avocado, subbed in the stewed tomatoes for fresh, and swapped to green pesto, and that worked pretty well. Sometimes I get these cheese-stuffed peppers at the store and those make a great addition. Capers if I happen to have them are a good addition as well. My parents have adapted the recipe and added some mushrooms; they liked it but I hate mushrooms so I can't say how it goes. I'm sure adding chicken would be good too, but that sorta defeats the point of it being simple and low-effort, unless I happen to have pre-cooked chicken I can cut up or something.

My job has been having food competitions every few months or so, and earlier this year they did a chili cook-off. I found a recipe online that I liked and made a few changes to come up with a really nice recipe that's pretty hot, but has a nice smoky sweetness thing going on as well. I think I overdid the hot last time though, as it gave me a bit of a stomachache (and burned again on the way out...).
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Colossus in the Playground

Made homemade cranberry sauce.

Cinnamon compliments the taste of cranberries very well.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

That cannot stand. Kill 'em WITH FIRE!
    ...y'know, it be one thing if the brother-in-law's in-laws made their own pies, but to be shunted aside for Marie Callander boxed crap?!

Yeah, I'm more than a little bit torqued about that.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

I do enjoy a good lasagna, have one I use a lot that does not require boiling noodles before hand, always a winner!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

23. - Top - End - #53
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

For christmas dinner I intend to make dessert. For this gathering it has to be both lactose and gluten free.

My plan is banana pancakes (with almond flour), with baked apple slices, non-dairy whipped cream of some sort and sugar/cinnamon encrusted pecan nuts.
    I hope it works out!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

I'm on oyster stew duty tomorrow. Father-in-law says mine is better than his mother's.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

My father usually cooks but I'm perfectly capable of making anything except the hardest of meals provided a recipe.
    Quotes
    I play W/W Mafia! I still claim I was Town all along! Believe me!
    Spoiler: Idea stolen from Snowblaze
    Show

W/W games lynched d1: 3
    W/W games played (excludes spectating) total: 9
    W/W games won: 5
    W/W games lost: 5
    W/W games narrated: 0
    W/W games spectated: 4
    W/W games as wolf: 2
    W/W games as Town: 6
    W/W games as Neutral: 1
    W/W games as Other: 0

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

This coming week, the new recipe I'll be trying is Mapo Tofu Nachos for the hubby (he doesn't eat red meat anymore, so pork is being subbed out for chicken).

Spoiler: Recipe here
    Show

Ingredients
    Yield: 4 servings

For the Mapo Tofu Sauce
    1(14- or 16-ounce) package silken tofu
    1½teaspoons Sichuan peppercorns
    2tablespoons neutral oil, such as canola oil
    8ounces ground beef or pork (preferably 80 or 85 percent lean), roughly chopped to loosen
    2½ to 3tablespoons doubanjiang (fermented chile bean sauce or paste)
    1tablespoon douchi (fermented black beans, optional)
    1teaspoon minced fresh ginger
    ½teaspoon red-pepper flakes (optional)
    2teaspoons regular soy sauce
    1rounded teaspoon granulated sugar, plus more as needed
    Fine sea salt
    1large scallion, trimmed and sliced on a sharp bias into 2-inch-long pieces
    1tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
    For the Nachos
    5 to 6ounces corn tortilla chips (about 5 cups)
    2medium scallions, trimmed and sliced on the bias into ¾-inch-long pieces
    4ounces shredded Oaxacan, Monterey Jack or other mild-flavored melty cheese (about 1⅓ cups)
    ⅓cup sliced or coarsely chopped pitted olives, such as black, green or a combination (optional)
    2whole pickled jalapeños, sliced (optional)
    ⅓cup coarsely chopped cilantro (optional)

Preparation

Step 1

Prepare the mapo tofu sauce: If the tofu came as a block in water, discard the water. Cut the tofu into large chunks, then use a stand blender or immersion blender to whirl the tofu into an ivory smoothie.
    Step 2

In a medium (3- or 4-quart) pot over medium heat, toast the Sichuan peppercorns for 2 to 3 minutes, until super fragrant and slightly darkened. (A wisp of smoke is OK.) Let cool briefly, then pound with a mortar and pestle or pulse in a spice grinder.
    Step 3

Prepare the remaining sauce ingredients and set them near the stove.
    Step 4

Warm the oil in the pot over high heat. When shimmering, add the meat. Stir and mash into cooked and crumbly pieces, 1 to 2 minutes. Add 2½ tablespoons doubanjiang, the douchi (if using), ginger and red-pepper flakes (if using). Fry about 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly, until the mixture is a rich reddish brown.
    Step 5

Reduce the heat to medium-low, then stir in the soy sauce and 1 rounded teaspoon sugar. Scrape in the blended tofu. (If there’s much left in the blender jar, add 1 tablespoon water and whirl to loosen it.) Stir to combine well, partially cover and bring to simmer. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, to develop flavor throughout. Expect orange oil to appear on top.
    Step 6

Taste the sauce and if needed, add the remaining ½ tablespoon doubanjiang (for heat), or a pinch of salt (for savoriness) or sugar (to tame heat).
    Step 7

Stir in the scallion, then add the cornstarch slurry and stir until thickened. Turn off the heat. Stir in half the crushed Sichuan peppercorns for a bit of zing. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes to deepen flavor and color before using; a little lingering orange oil is normal. This recipe makes about 2½ cups, which is twice the amount that you’ll need for this recipe; save the rest for spaghetti, more nachos or another use. (You can cool the sauce completely then refrigerate it in an airtight container for up to 3 days.)
    Step 8

Prepare the nachos: Heat a toaster oven (or standard oven) to 350 degrees. Line the baking pan of the toaster oven (or a small sheet pan) with parchment or aluminum foil, leaving a little overhang on two sides so you may later easily transfer the nachos. Arrange half of the chips on the pan, laying them flat; some overlap is fine. Use a spoon to strew a heaping ½ cup mapo tofu sauce onto the chips. Sprinkle with half the scallions, half the cheese and half the remaining Sichuan peppercorns. Repeat with the remaining chips, a heaping ½ cup mapo tofu sauce, the remaining scallions, cheese and peppercorns.
    Step 9

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the cheese completely melts and there is gentle sizzling. Remove from the oven, then lift the parchment paper or foil to remove the nachos from the pan, then use a spatula to carefully usher the nachos to a platter. Top with any combination of olives, pickled jalapeños and cilantro, if desired.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Attempting to brine some turkey thighs today for the 1st time. Right now, waiting for the brine to get to room temperature first...

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been eating a lot of red lentils lately. The kind which I've been buying are masoor dal, red split lentils.

I find that they work well just about anywhere I'd want to use beans, green lentils, or mashed potatoes.

That last might seem strange, so I'll explain. I accidentally overcooked some pots of red lentils a few times. The browned bits from the bottom of the pot tasted very much like my family's German potato pancakes. So, I tried cooking some batches to the same consistency and with the same spices as mashed potatoes, and it turned out great.

I've also had success using them as the primary protein in a stew with diced tomatoes and mixed vegetables.

They cook so fast that I can throw them in at the beginning with whatever else using the other ingredients' cooking times and just have the lentils "come along for the ride."

Haven't had any real failures yet. Just put some oil, salt, and spices in a pot, add lentils and other ingredients. Add twice the mass of water as lentils+other dry ingredients for a pilaf consistency, more for a stew. Cook for 20 minutes plus whatever time it takes to reduce to the desired consistency.

That sort of recipe is so easy and works so well with dry or otherwise shelf-stable ingredients that I'll probably be using this for emergency and camping food in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?