New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Default Re: Anyone here cook?

Lentils are good stuff. Still trying to find a good recipe for Mujadara that's similar to how a local place does it.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Perfected a new recipe, a non-alcoholic mead that is ideal for wintertime. Blackberry jam, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and honey. It's wonderfully flavorful!
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

I tried making shakshuka for breakfast this morning. I mashed up two recipes I found online, and substituted spinach for the parsley garnish. Unfortunately, it came out soupier than intended, and I also burned it a little in my skillet. It wasn't too bad, but I definitely was hoping for a better result than what I got.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

biggrin Re: Anyone here cook?

I've been cooking breakfast in the morning and going the whole distance on food - it's usually poached eggs, potatoes, sausage and buttered toast. I've occasionally substituted kippers for sausages (and I'm not British) and buttermilk biscuits for toast.

5. - Top - End - #65

BardGuy

Lightbulb Re: Anyone here cook?

I like making poached eggs for breakfast but my ceramic egg cooker usually makes the egg explode in the microwave, no matter what I do. I solved that with this microwave egg poacher from Amazon. You pour 500ml of water into each side (measuring cup included), crack an egg into each cup, microwave and lift the egg out with the collanders (the light blue part).

I got a perfect poached egg that didn’t come out runny or explode in the microwave!

6. - Top - End - #66

Quote Originally Posted by northernbard80 View Post
    Do you cook? If so, what do you make and what have you concocted recently?

I live on my own and can't eat out regularly so I do a lot of my own cooking.

I like making gumbo, jambalaya and red beans & rice. I've also made soups, stews, casseroles and goodies in my crockpot.
    I have a stir-fry in the fridge with chicken, basil, bell peppers, and a kind of fish-sauce broth. Basically Thai-inspired. I also have papardelle with ground turkey and I've just killed off more or less chili which I only fix once/year because I then have to try and work all of it off afterwards.

Later this week I'll fix an orange carrot salad with a recipe I got off of Lidia's Kitchen and chicken marinaded with lemon, cumin, ginger, and paprika over couscous and rice pilaf when that runs out.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Does anyone here have any favorite "street food" or simple comfort foods that are easy for restaurants and other food services to make and serve quickly? Think pizza, ramen, takoyaki, etc.

Off the top of my head, poutine has to be one of my favorites in this category.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

There's a couple places near me (Latin market, Mexican restaurant) that do really good street tacos.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    Does anyone here have any favorite "street food" or simple comfort foods that are easy for restaurants and other food services to make and serve quickly? Think pizza, ramen, takoyaki, etc.

Off the top of my head, poutine has to be one of my favorites in this category.
    Poutine is street food?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Poutine is street food?
    Well. I think it could be, if wintertime necessity didn't make serving it indoors a Very Good Idea during the time of year it was invented for.

In any case, in my post I specified a category that includes lots of street food but is not limited to street food. Poutine is in the category I specified.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Well. I think it could be, if wintertime necessity didn't make serving it indoors a Very Good Idea during the time of year it was invented for.

In any case, in my post I specified a category that includes lots of street food but is not limited to street food. Poutine is in the category I specified.
    I wasn't complaining, i was envying.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yes occasionally. I made ramen the other day

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

What are some well-known sandwiches in the English speaking world that are vegan, or almost always made with vegan ingredients? Like, some sandwiches have their own names, and some have generic adjective-noun, etc. descriptions that are used so often they might as well be names.

It might just be a brain fart, but the only well known sandwich I can think of which is often or usually vegan is peanut butter and jelly.

14. - Top - End - #74

What are some well-known sandwiches in the English speaking world that are vegan, or almost always made with vegan ingredients? Like, some sandwiches have their own names, and some have generic adjective-noun, etc. descriptions that are used so often they might as well be names.

It might just be a brain fart, but the only well known sandwich I can think of which is often or usually vegan is peanut butter and jelly.
    Well, there's the British chip butty (potatoes and bread), plus or minus mushy peas, and watercress tea sandwiches, if you substitute margarine for butter.

There's several popular vegan sandwiches from place where Indian migration to English colonies happened. I grew up on doubles (Trinibogian rolls with chickpea curry) and Bombay sandwiches (cucmber, tomato, and green chutney between pieces of sliced bread) both of which are very well known...just not to Americans.

[Oops. I forgot vada pav (potato croquette on a soft roll with multiple chutneys and sometimes other veg), which is enormously popular but not something I ate a lot]

Depending on where exactly you cut the line on what is a sandwich--including open-faced options and/or rolled sandwiches--there'd be more options--falafel, avocado toast--but what would really expand the range is if you look at all the high-name-recognition vegan spreads and dip that accompany bread, that are also used casually to make fast sandwiches, but might not turn up on a menu. For example, Creole red beans are served at the table with rice, but the same recipe is also mashed and put into rolls to make sandwiches.
    Last edited by Yanagi; 2023-04-22 at 06:56 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that' s a good start to answering my question. Thank you.

I feel less bad about not being able to think of any.

I've had the occasional chip butty, but only with butter. I've also made quite a few incidentally vegan sandwiches with whatever was on hand, but none of them are anything I can imagine seeing on a diner menu in North America.

16. - Top - End - #76

Green Chile Pork Stew: step one: oil, salt and pepper 3 lbs of tomatillos (about 10), 2 poblano peppers, 1 jalapeno, 1 yellow onion, and several cloves of garlic, Put them on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven under the broiler for about 6 minutes, then turn and broil another 6 minutes until they are blistered. Put it all in the blender with some lime juice and blend it into a tomatillo salsa like sauce.

step two: cut up pork country style ribs, salt and pepper and brown in a pan. Put in the crockpot. Put the sauce over it. Season with some cumin, some bay leaves, some oregeno, some salt.

cook for four hours, then add in some cut up potatoes and cut up turnips or other root vegetables

take two handfuls of cilantro and throw it into the garbage. Cilantro is the devil's weed and has no place in cooking

cook for another four hours. When there is one hour left, cook some mushrooms in oil until they get out some moisture, then put them in the stew (without the moisture)

Done. Serve over rice and/or with corn tortillas

17. - Top - End - #77
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I found this recipe, a few years back. If you're into Mexican + Italian food, you'll probably enjoy this: https://www.number-2-pencil.com/one-...chilada-pasta/

You may want to try a different cheese, than what's suggested. Just experiment, and figure out what works best, for you.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowShinobi View Post
    I found this recipe, a few years back. If you're into Mexican + Italian food, you'll probably enjoy this.

You may want to try a different cheese, than what's suggested. Just experiment, and figure out what works best, for you.
    Hey, nice one. I was just looking for something new to try.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Lentils are good stuff. Still trying to find a good recipe for Mujadara that's similar to how a local place does it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowShinobi View Post
    I found this recipe, a few years back. If you're into Mexican + Italian food, you'll probably enjoy this: https://www.number-2-pencil.com/one-...chilada-pasta/

That looks really tasty. I'll have to work out some substitutions to try something like that soon

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Most people I tell about it, seem interested. I hope you enjoy it, as much as I do.

There are lots of other recipes on the site, when you have time to take a look.
    Last edited by ShadowShinobi; 2023-05-16 at 11:39 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Pixie in the Playground

I do for my family

22. - Top - End - #82

ClericGuy

New recipe found and immediately adored. Porter cake.

It's a spice cake, cinnamon allspice nutmeg and cloves. But then you also add in dried/candied fruits and drown it all in porter beer, and top it with brown sugar and almond slices.

You might be thinking "isn't that a fruit cake?" But no. It is light, flavorful, decadent, easy to bite into, and has about as much in common with fruit cake as filet mignon has with beef jerky.
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

23. - Top - End - #83
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I've been looking for more variety in my meals, so I tried a new recipe I'd heard about: Black Bean Quesadillas. There's a number of different ways to make them. Just do a search, and find one you like. I kept it pretty simple, to start. Just the beans, cheese, and some mild sauce. I'm still working on the right amount of seasoning to use, but otherwise, they've turned out ok. The best part is, they cost less than using meat, and they're pretty filling.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

I love cooking in general. but BBQ is my favorite. I got a smoker like 3 years ago, and use it at every change I get.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Personally, I love to cook. Kicking everyone out and taking over my kitchen is just enjoyable. The last big anything I made was a 10 gallon pot of gumbo. Tonight I will be slow cooking a roast for 12ish hours to make shredded beef tacos for tomorrow. It is a labor of love for me.

26. - Top - End - #86

BardGuy

Thumbs up Re: Anyone here cook?

Just recently, I cooked chipped beef on toast for breakfast! I got dried beef from the store, cooked it in a pan with equal parts butter & flour and added milk with salt & pepper to taste.

It came out good! Anyone in the military probably knows this dish and calls it by a different name.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Just recently, I cooked chipped beef on toast for breakfast! I got dried beef from the store, cooked it in a pan with equal parts butter & flour and added milk with salt & pepper to taste.

It came out good! Anyone in the military probably knows this dish and calls it by a different name.
    Navy brat here, and yeah, we called it S.O.S. (Yes, we used the initialism most of the time, though those of us over the age of 8 or so knew what the initials stood for.)

It looks delicious. The only place I've ever had it outside home was breakfast at the cafeteria of my first university back in the late 1990s. I've never noticed it served anywhere but there and maybe a truck stop or two.

28. - Top - End - #88

BardGuy

Lightbulb Re: Anyone here cook?

I plan to make desserts too and on my list is Petit Fours. Unfortunately, they are labor intensive...but I found a simplified recipe that involves pound cake and square cookie cutters!

https://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/e...a-5c308c84ac69

I've also been reading up on melting chocolate to cover the Petit Fours; besides the double boiler method, you can melt chocolate in a slow cooker.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

Do you cook? If so, what do you make and what have you concocted recently?
    I'm a very talented home cook, but I have weird tastes and my dishes are hit or miss with more mainstream palates; when they hit, though, they really really hit.

My best dishes... I like to make a Filipino-style (sweetened and stretched with banana-based ketchup) spaghetti but I make mine a little extra sweet and a lot extra spicy, with ground Italian sausage and topped with quesadilla cheese blend and sliced browned hot dogs. Or... a couple of cups of quinoa, with crushed pears and crumbled feta or goat cheese, with black pepper and cinnamon. I make a half decent Indian butter chicken or saag paneer with ricotta/cottage cheese in place of the paneer.

I make the best sandwich spread out of cranberry sauce, mustard, white wine, and horseradish.

Also make a really good pineapple creamed spinach... about 4 parts spinach to 2 parts kale, and 1 part each chopped white onion, crushed pineapple, and minced bacon in a ricotta cream sauce.

I've heard a lot about air fryers but never really got one. Are they that good or just hype?
    They are that good. I got mine used on Facebook for only, like, forty bucks... but it would have been a bargain at MSRP.

When I make steaks, I cook them on my stovetop and throw on some seasonings like black pepper, basil, oregano, onion power and a little garlic.
    I use Montreal steak seasoning, but I sprinkle it on both sides of the steak and then beat the seasoning into the meat with a coarse tenderizing mallet before marinating them in lime juice and olive oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    In the last couple of years I've done a number of experiments with differant forms of grilled cheese and assorted melts—I've found that extra sharp cheddar on Vienna bread with dijon mustard gets the best results, though I want to experiment with pumpernickle—and I've been tinkering with a recipe for barbecue sauce that my grandmother tought me on and off for years.
    The secret to grilled cheese? Though, yeah, your use of mustard and the poster who suggested shredded cheese are very clear... the secret is to replace the butter on the outside of the sandwich with mayonnaise. It doesn't taste much like mayonnaise, it tastes like a grilled cheese sandwich except all of the bread and cheese flavors are brighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Made homemade cranberry sauce.

Cinnamon compliments the taste of cranberries very well.
    Try an omelette with dried cranberries and crumbled goat cheese.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

There's nothing quite like eating a steak you cooked yourself.

Even made my own birthday cake last year. It wasn't very good but I still devoured the entire thing (letting it sit for a day or two actually made it better)
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig