New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: MitD XVII: [Y]ou were quite clear. I was just being pedantic

[puts both hands up] I haven't read all the threads, and I don't know D&D well so this explains precisely zero mechanically ... I just had an idea on re-reading the section with the tombstones of previous worlds. Feel free to shoot me down, especially if this has been discussed before.

Could the MitD be some kind of Outsider who has been mind-wiped between worlds?

That's about the full extent of the idea. It would explain the MitD's familiarity with the Astral Plane - that's where they hang out between worlds - and its lack of memories. Not clear on how this works out to not being able to identify the Gates - maybe it doesn't, or maybe it's a side effect of an ongoing memory wipe.

Of course, this doesn't narrow down which type of Outsider, some of which have already been suggested. But while looking at the list for Outsiders which might have a connection to previous worlds, I came across the Native subtype:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Native Subtype
    A subtype applied only to outsiders. These creatures have mortal ancestors or a strong connection to the Material Plane ... Creatures with this subtype are native to the Material Plane (hence the subtype’s name). Unlike true outsiders, native outsiders need to eat and sleep.
    Anyway, throwing this out there as a story theme.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Yes it is?

GW

Sorry, that was poorly phrased on my part. I meant that there wasn’t any link to stats or much description at all; “1E monster, so hard to tell if he'd be strong enough. Fairly disturbing, and might have access to teleport items” doesn’t explain to me why it’s climbed onto the leaderboard of guesses.

Normally I’d just Google this myself, but I tried that and it didn’t work. I expected it to at least spit up some reference to this thread, but it seems to have missed it.
    Sincerely,
    NobleCuriosity

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NobleCuriosity View Post
    Sorry, that was poorly phrased on my part. I meant that there wasn’t any link to stats or much description at all; “1E monster, so hard to tell if he'd be strong enough. Fairly disturbing, and might have access to teleport items” doesn’t explain to me why it’s climbed onto the leaderboard of guesses.

Normally I’d just Google this myself, but I tried that and it didn’t work. I expected it to at least spit up some reference to this thread, but it seems to have missed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Loculi are a race of semi-humanoid reptile monsters with an age power-progression chart just like dragons. They don't look crazy-weird but they aren't something you see every day, kind of like a cross between a lizard man and an armadillo. They have 6 legs, a pair of useable arms and a heavy, bony ankylosaurus-like tail. Their back and limbs are heavily armor plated which get tougher as they get older, their young are pretty fragile but they get sturdier as they get older, really old ones can use magic and psionic abilities and, the piece de resistance: they'll eat just about anything but they particularly enjoy eating gnome and dwarf meat (they get along fine with elves and humans, but they hate dwarves and gnomes).

Ok, so, babies are 6" tall while freakishly ancient ones are 10' tall, but I'm going to focus on just regular, run-of-the-mill ancient ones (a d100 roll of "99" rather than "100"). A 511-800 year old Loculi is 7' 4" tall, the armored parts are AC1 (roughly equal to platemail plus a shield), its got 9d8+8 hp (which is in the ballpark of an adult or even old red dragon in 1E AD&D, the version when the Loculi was introduced), the only stat they list is INT (14, which isn't bad. There are deities with 18s and below for stats) but its tail-smash hits for 2d12+2 and its bite hits for 2d10 which is nearly ancient dragon territory so its probably extremely strong. They have a range of psionic and magic-user/illusionist spells though nothing is analogous to Teleport or Wish. I might actually do a proper presentation of it later.
    GW c
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

GW c
    Thanks you for alleviating my confusion! I appreciate it.
    Sincerely,
    NobleCuriosity

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NobleCuriosity View Post
    Thanks you for alleviating my confusion! I appreciate it.
    To note is that they are an incredibly obscure monster, published only in White Dwarf #36 (a mainly Warhammer-focused magazine nowadays, then a general RPG-aimed resource), which was firmly in the AD&D 1st edition era. It also only goes up to 3rd level spells as psionic abilities. The mostly interesting part is that they learn languages as they grow up. Youngs don't speak at all, they learn to speak their own language at age 20, and to speak common at age 120. This would handily fit the "It speaks? And in common no less!" thing. Of course, the overall power level of the thing is much too low for our purposes, and MitD doesn't seem to be an Ancient or a Grandmother to have such psionic abilities, but still, kudos to the guy who found that.
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2022-10-15 at 01:56 AM.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

6. - Top - End - #36

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    To note is that they are an incredibly obscure monster, published only in White Dwarf #36 (a mainly Warhammer-focused magazine nowadays, then a general RPG-aimed resource), which was firmly in the AD&D 1st edition era. It also only goes up to 3rd level spells as psionic abilities. The mostly interesting part is that they learn languages as they grow up. Youngs don't speak at all, they learn to speak their own language at age 20, and to speak common at age 120. This would handily fit the "It speaks? And in common no less!" thing. Of course, the overall power level of the thing is much too low for our purposes, and MitD doesn't seem to be an Ancient or a Grandmother to have such psionic abilities, but still, kudos to the guy who found that.
    Thanks for adding this. Yeah, exactly, the Ancient Mother or whatever it’s called oldest possible
    Version is surprisingly close to working and I keep almost putting together a case for it, except that it’s the oldest and biggest version so it’s be weird for someone think him small or for his dad to be bigger. Also, the name strongly suggests it has to be female (though the fluff is vague), which MitD obviously isn’t.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    Ah, that explains how Google could have never heard of it. Thanks for the clarification.
    Sincerely,
    NobleCuriosity

8. - Top - End - #38
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

@Crusher: Please change my guess from "Protean" to "Protean > White Slaad turning into Black Slaad upon reveal > Snorlax"

While I totally stand by the arguments for the Protean, MitD becoming finally visible only to turn into a black blob with two eyes would be absolutely hilarious and such a meta joke i certainly would not put past Rich Burlew. This comic started as a parody after all...
    Snorlax solely because it's downright scary how much it would fit if it wasn't for copyright issues and/or the massive genre shift it would entail.

I also would like to express my opinion again that the MitD can read minds to explain most of his unusual/surprising knowledge (half of the ritual, knowing Team Evil uses fake names, Astral Plane without remembering being there, Goblin politics, maybe even learning Go and some others)
    The difference between Mace Windu and Miko Miyazaki:

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    It's one thing to take on a Sith Lord outside the law; bisecting an unarmed octogenarian is a little different.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth V View Post
    I also would like to express my opinion again that the MitD can read minds to explain most of his unusual/surprising knowledge (half of the ritual, knowing Team Evil uses fake names, Astral Plane without remembering being there, Goblin politics, maybe even learning Go and some others)
    Optional explaining: MitD is reading the comic as it's published.
    Running naked in the playground!

[email protected]

10. - Top - End - #40

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio III View Post
    One of my own first thoughts about MitD was that he is the manifestation of writer, his child, friend or whatever.

3d in stick world is ugly yet beautiful, extra dimension grants strength, being a writer, or close to him allows to make otherwise impossible things and so on.

But I believe this had been discussed, probably many times.

One of proposed ideas in original post also explains why this idea is, most chances, wrong one.

11. - Top - End - #41

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    You might find it interesting but it's a bit glaring to see two of my choices sandwiched between them.
    Sorry! Life is a cruel zero-sum game. One person's "interesting" is another person's "distraction from hard-earned glory".

Quote Originally Posted by Darth V View Post
    @Crusher: Please change my guess from "Protean" to "Protean > White Slaad turning into Black Slaad upon reveal > Snorlax"
    So noted.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio III View Post
    MitD: What the hell am I looking at? When does this happen in the comic?
    Redcloak: Now. You’re looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.
    MitD: What happened to then?
    Redcloak: We passed it.
    MitD: When?
    Redcloak: Just now. We’re in now now.
    MitD: Go back to then!
    Redcloak: When?
    MitD: Now!
    Redcloak: Now?
    Redcloak: I can’t!
    MitD: Why?
    Redcloak: We missed it!
    Redcloak: Just now!
    MitD: When will then be now?
    Redcloak: Soon.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-10-18 at 06:06 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    MitD: What the hell am I looking at? When does this happen in the comic?
    Redcloak: Now. You’re looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.
    MitD: What happened to then?
    Redcloak: We passed it.
    Redcloak: Just now. We’re in now now.
    MitD: Go back to then!
    Redcloak: When?
    Redcloak: Now?
    Redcloak: I can’t!
    MitD: Why?
    Redcloak: We missed it!
    Redcloak: Just now!
    MitD: When will then be now?
    Redcloak: Soon.
    Xykon: The guy with the moustache?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Spamalot in the Playground

I was originally Team Slaad but put me down for Protean too.

What is the thread title a reference to? I haven't been keeping up.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post

Its something that was said near the end of the previous thread which was felt to very well encapsulate the general attitude the posters in this thread generally take to each other.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

16. - Top - End - #46

Ah, I see the exchange now. And the [Y]?

(Sorry if I'm ruining the joke by having it explained)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #47

Ah, I see the exchange now. And the [Y]?

(Sorry if I'm ruining the joke by having it explained)
    It was originally a lowercase y. I didn't see any issue at all with changing the case without any fanfare or notation, but I don't name the thread.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

It was originally a lowercase y. I didn't see any issue at all with changing the case without any fanfare or notation, but I don't name the thread.
    Changing the y's case would have been quite clear. Grey Wolf was just being pedantic.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Changing the y's case would have been quite clear. Grey Wolf was just being pedantic.
    Precisely.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

20. - Top - End - #50
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Precisely.

GW
    Therefore, Y not?
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

21. - Top - End - #51

ElfWarriorGuy

Noted.

Surprisingly, I did not already have a vote down for you.

22. - Top - End - #52

Noted.

Not your fault, I think I voted Black Slaad once multiple threads ago and have only popped back in occasionally e.g. when something MitD-related happens in the comic.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #53

Noted.

I want to change my vote too.

Make it Imentesh>Snorlax

24. - Top - End - #54

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    I want to change my vote too.

Make it Imentesh>Snorlax
    Your change is noted.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I think I'm down for Protean as my second choice, and I'd like to withdraw that.
    For the meta-reason that I don't think Rich wants to draw a Protean character over and over, and it would be (IMNHO) dramatically unsatisfying for MitD to emerge and then vanish.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

26. - Top - End - #56

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    I think I'm down for Protean as my second choice, and I'd like to withdraw that.
    For the meta-reason that I don't think Rich wants to draw a Protean character over and over, and it would be (IMNHO) dramatically unsatisfying for MitD to emerge and then vanish.
    Sorry, I didn't completely follow you. You want to add Protean as your 2nd choice after partially decapitated Dread Linnorm?
    Last edited by Crusher; 2022-10-25 at 03:09 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57

Sorry, I didn't completely follow you. You want to add Protean as your 2nd choice after partially decapitated Dread Linnorm?
    Replace "down for" with "recorded as having", which is the intended meaning.

"I think I'm down for recorded as having Protean as my second choice, and I'd like to withdraw that."

28. - Top - End - #58

ElfWarriorGuy

Replace "down for" with "recorded as having", which is the intended meaning.

"I think I'm down for recorded as having Protean as my second choice, and I'd like to withdraw that."
    Ah, I see. Atm, I only have a single guess down for Shining Wrath. Which, now that I think about it, seems odd as I sort of recall adding another guess in the waning days of the last thread. Hmm, I'll check.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2022-10-25 at 06:04 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

I vote for Protean! Ruck convinced me a while back but I haven't voted till now.

30. - Top - End - #60

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    I vote for Protean! Ruck convinced me a while back but I haven't voted till now.
    You vote has been recorded! Ruck was pretty convincing.

Ah, I see. Atm, I only have a single guess down for Shining Wrath. Which, now that I think about it, seems odd as I sort of recall adding another guess in the waning days of the last thread. Hmm, I'll check.
    Hmm, I guess I misremembered. Nothing in the last 10 or so pages of the last thread. Maybe it was just before that and I missed it.