New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default Turning a propeller around doesn't change it's direction of rotation.

I was thinking about this while trying to sleep, and was surprised to realise the above.

If you have a propeller blade like front \ back, if you turn it around, it's back \ front. If for some reason you need a propeller with blades that go front / back, you need an entirely different propeller.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Turning a propeller around doesn't change it's direction of rotation.

This is why every toolbox needs a Klein bottle...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Turning a propeller around doesn't change it's direction of rotation.

Yup, taking a clockwise-turning propeller and installing it backward will leave it as a clockwise-turning propeller.

It is my understanding, though, that the leading and trailing edges of propellers are not the same. You probably won't get the same performance if you install the propeller backward (if it will even let you install it that way).
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by NichG View Post
    This is why every toolbox needs a Klein bottle...
    Yeah, I thought it was a fun and interesting fact, but not obvious until you think about it.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

It's the same as how you can screw a nut on a bolt regardless of which side of the nut you use. Instead of twisted propeller blades on the outside, there's a spiral thread on the inside.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

If you have a propeller that can be installed backwards, it can probably be run just as efficiently backwards as forwards. Ceiling fans frequently have perfectly flat vanes precisely so they can have their rotation reversed at will. It lowers their efficiency by a bit, but the utility of being able to changing a fan that pushes air down in the center of the room to one that pulls air up in the center of the room is worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Next time, just imagine turning the boat around instead, and you'll probably fall asleep faster.
    “Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”
    ~Raja Rudatha, the Spider Prince
    Golem Arcana

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    Next time, just imagine turning the boat around instead, and you'll probably fall asleep faster.
    Boat?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Boat?
    These days, I think most propellers are on boats (submarines included), but I suppose there are also propellers on airplanes, airships, and the occasional forms of propeller hat. What did you have in mind?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    These days, I think most propellers are on boats (submarines included), but I suppose there are also propellers on airplanes, airships, and the occasional forms of propeller hat. What did you have in mind?
    As Peelee says of himself, I think I'm funny.

The actual application was a pedal powered ekranoplan, so boat isn't entirely wrong, but it's not entirely right either.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Yup, taking a clockwise-turning propeller and installing it backward will leave it as a clockwise-turning propeller.

It is my understanding, though, that the leading and trailing edges of propellers are not the same. You probably won't get the same performance if you install the propeller backward (if it will even let you install it that way).
    For boats and ships, propeller blades have an airfoil shaped cross section to maximize performance. So installing one backwards will greatly degrade thrust and efficiency. Shafts are usually tapered, however, which makes putting the prop on backwards impossible.

It's pretty common, though, for someone to accidentally put a left handed prop on a right handed shaft and not realize it until the boat is in the water.