New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Can’t remember name of book

Trying to remember the name of a book. Was about a ragtag team of misfits, a wizard who only knew three spells, one of which he learned from a bathroom stall. And something about a plot to turn the city to stone? A flying carpet? All I remember is the wizard seemingly dies by getting sucked into a portal. Can anyone help???

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Can’t remember name of book

I've not heard of it, but it sounds like a fun read!
    Custom Melayl avatar by my cousin, ~thejason10, used with his permission. See his work at his Deviant Art page.
    My works:
    Need help?
    Spoiler
    Show
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA)
    1-800-273-TALK (8255), 24/7
    www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
    In Australia: Lifeline, 13 11 14, 24/7
    Reach Out Australia
    Beyond Blue, 1300 22 4636
    The Samaritans (UK too) UK: 08457 90 90 90, ROI: 1850 60 90 90

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I could just about make an argument for Harry Potter in this, but I don’t think so.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

4. - Top - End - #4

GnomePirate

This sounds like a Discworld thing.

But there's a gazillion Discworld books and I can't remember everything that happens in all of them. I'm sure someone else can, though!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

It's not Diskworld - the only wizard who comes close to that description is Rincewind, and at the time he only had one spell, that he couldn't cast (it was one of the spells of creation from the Octavio) - not that he was very good at casting later on.

It's certianly not Harry Potter.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Just in case, check The Light Fantastic from Discworld. Minus two spells and the bathroom, and change the flying carpet to a flying boulder, and it may be close to a match.
    "A good way to get a decent person to do something horrible is to convince them that they're not responsible for their actions"

~Director Cedrik - OotS #640

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Jak View Post
    Just in case, check The Light Fantastic from Discworld. Minus two spells and the bathroom, and change the flying carpet to a flying boulder, and it may be close to a match.
    I was thinking it could be Sourcery. That has the useless wizard, the flying carpet, and ends with said wizard running from the Things in the Dungeon Dimensions. (And the cities caught up in the wizard war get worse than turned to stone.)
    Not sure about the bathroom stall though...

OP: Do you remember an animate (and angry) chest with a lot of little legs? Did the ragtag band of misfits include a grocer who wants to be a barbarian warrior and a barbarian warrior(ess) who wants to be a hairdresser?
    Last edited by hewhosaysfish; 2022-11-04 at 02:10 PM.
    If a tree falls in the forest and the PCs aren't around to hear it... what do I roll to see how loud it is?

Is 3.5 a fried-egg, chili-chutney sandwich?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

While I agree that it does sound a lot like Discworld, "learned a spell from a bathroom stall" seems like an extremely weird and specific detail for the OP's memory to conjure out of nowhere (though it would probably be a sign of an interesting subconscious ).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Possible something from the MythAdventures series from Robert Aspirin? Read it years ago, I seem to remember one where the two bodyguards enrolled in an army as part of some scheme or other. One of the recruits knew just three spells ("dispel," "datspell," and some other spell I can't remember).