New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Necromancers?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Necromancers?

Did 4e ever have an explicit Necromancer class? They seem to be perennial favorites.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Necromancers?

Wizard (Mage) has a necromancer subclass, but it's...kind of a very odd duck. There's a little bit of minioning, but the main thing is powers that have one effect on most enemies and do something different to undead.

My personal favorite "necromancer" setup is a refluffed Invoker|Druid (Sentinel) hybrid. You get an animal companion from Sentinel that can be refluffed as a persistent zombie, you get reasonable summons from both sides for short term minions, Sentinel give a heal as life/death manipulation, and the encounter powers can pretty easily be turned into like, a field of grasping skeletal hands.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

3. - Top - End - #3
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I know you could switch it, but giving the Necromancer the Primal power source also seems pretty cool.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

There's little in the way of permanent minions (and mostly needing a reskin from other classes for that, as mentioned). There's a range of summoning powers that bring out undead, but summoning is on a pretty strict action economy, so not a complete strategy in and of itself. There are necromancy- and undead-themed conjurations and zones (skeletal hands shooting out of the ground grasping at people, stuff like that) and various debilitating offensive spells and life force manipulating ones (getting temp HP when things die, stuff like that). Animating fallen enemies is implemented as summoning powers that target dead creatures.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Did 4e ever have an explicit Necromancer class?
    They have a subclass named "necromancer", but it's in one of the late non-playtested books so somehow they've managed to make literally every single necromancy spell suck.

I'd recommend a regular staff/tome wizard focused on cold spells and summon dailies; there are a number of wizard summons that don't require the caster's actions to do anything.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Something I have thought about implementing in my game is creating an Animate Dead ritual which allows a necromancer to animate a standard (undead) creature of the caster's level or lower, and treating it more or less like a mount: you can only control one at a time, taking control is a move action, you share initiative and a set of actions, but you and the creature can both move on a move action.

The component cost is the same as a magic item of the same level (which tracks with the level of most mounts). At higher level you can afford to control several creatures by creating swarms.

I would also let the caster create more undead than he can control, and try to give the "independent" undead directions, but the DM decides if they understand the commands, how they execute them (likely not with clever tactics), and what they do if they find themselves without an intelligible command (like attack the nearest living creature). So basically these are like NPC men-at-arms hired by the party, except they are (usually) mindless undead that want to feast on the living.

Or if you think it is a smart idea to animate an intelligent undead companion character, you can do it at a cost equal to a magic item of two levels higher than the companion.

I would allow essentially the same thing with demon summoning, or really any character with a focus on conjuration/summoning.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Wizard (Mage) has a necromancer subclass, but it's...kind of a very odd duck. There's a little bit of minioning, but the main thing is powers that have one effect on most enemies and do something different to undead.

My personal favorite "necromancer" setup is a refluffed Invoker|Druid (Sentinel) hybrid. You get an animal companion from Sentinel that can be refluffed as a persistent zombie, you get reasonable summons from both sides for short term minions, Sentinel give a heal as life/death manipulation, and the encounter powers can pretty easily be turned into like, a field of grasping skeletal hands.
    This is a really good set of suggestions. You can even then take the Fey Beast Tamer theme (again, refluff) for a second minion

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Beoric View Post
    Something I have thought about implementing in my game is creating an Animate Dead ritual which allows a necromancer to animate a standard (undead) creature of the caster's level or lower, and treating it more or less like a mount: you can only control one at a time, taking control is a move action, you share initiative and a set of actions, but you and the creature can both move on a move action.

The component cost is the same as a magic item of the same level (which tracks with the level of most mounts). At higher level you can afford to control several creatures by creating swarms.

I would also let the caster create more undead than he can control, and try to give the "independent" undead directions, but the DM decides if they understand the commands, how they execute them (likely not with clever tactics), and what they do if they find themselves without an intelligible command (like attack the nearest living creature). So basically these are like NPC men-at-arms hired by the party, except they are (usually) mindless undead that want to feast on the living.

Or if you think it is a smart idea to animate an intelligent undead companion character, you can do it at a cost equal to a magic item of two levels higher than the companion.

I would allow essentially the same thing with demon summoning, or really any character with a focus on conjuration/summoning.
    Interesting. That's the same solution I came up with for undead and demons, not that either have come up in my games. Great minds think alike! :)
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

9. - Top - End - #9
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Metamagic Mod: Thread necromancy. Oh the irony.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)