New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] The SCP Foundation - Chapter 1: Trick or Treat

The lumbering beast, half blown open and missing limbs, struggles to move forth on atrophied legs and leaking viscera everywhere. The shambling mound bellows and growls inhumanely, until James manages to land another grenade in the gaping hole that was once its stomach. The monster is so large that it isn't blown into gory confetti (though there IS still a lot of that blow your way), but its entire chest cavity is destroyed, and it falls limp. At least, for now... One of the guards approaches the beast with light attached to his weapon, and fires a few more rounds into one of the faces just to be sure.

Thomas reforms at the edge of the abyss, sans clothes. He gets up, stunned, dazed, and confused, and the only familiar thing he sees is the impenetrable fog. Beneath him is a crumbling road, what must have once been the main street of Blumberg. Now it's as if he's on the precipice of a cliff. More rock and asphalt gives way, tumbling down into the unknown, but there is no sound of impact. Whatever is down there must be very far or nonexistent. Some distance away, he can faintly see a light and the sound of voices and gunfire.

Inside the church, some barricaded windows give way; bodies try to crawl through as William loses control of them again. Dr. Hagerty throws her restraining foam, effectively sealing one of the windows (and a body) off. Two scp guards put some rounds in some more zombified villagers, as they keep coming.

And William is screaming at this 3rd unknown entity. "I said what do you want from me?!"

The possessed villager in question continues to sneer and finally says, "I already have it." He cackles.

"There's no use arguing or bargaining with this fiend," says Olheim. "Clearly he just wants us to suffer."

"Oh, now you don't want to bargain?" it says. "Don't you remember how you wanted this? To prove that you're so much better than the Big Guy and could do such a better job? I was rather fond of the idea."

Hanks asks, "Wait. You gave them powers?" looking at the possessed villager incredulously. Turning to William and Olheim, he asks, "You bargained with the devil? And that worked??"

"Something like that," it says with a smug grin.

"We were deceived," Olheim says. "Two desperate men, preyed upon in their darkest hour. We didn't know who he was at the time. At first he just seemed to be a sympathetic passerby, arriving at our village soon after the fire. If I had the chance to go back, I would have never done it, said the things I said, or agreed to anything of the sort. But I think I've already learned my lesson. The past can't be changed."

2. - Top - End - #782
    Titan in the Playground

James watches the two men argue back and forth with the entity. “Damn it all, what did you give and what did you get, you two!?”
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

5404 puts a hand to his head as he takes in the scene, half-aware of the abyss that might even destroy or permanently encapsulate him should he fall. As his senses recollect at this sadly familiar event of rebirth, he rapidly shuffles backwards from the edge.

He glances around quickly for another grenade or other similar projectile -- more out of his last memory of things than actually expecting to find anything useful -- then starts running with his slightly supernal speed back towards the church. The familiar feeling of his tendons and muscles tearing then reknitting as he runs reinforces the purpose he feels. Gotta get back and protect Lily. Maybe he can distract the corpse-things from the outside.

And get away from the disintegrating edge of the town. Definitely that, too. He has a passing thought of hope that the precog got out before things started disintegrating.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Dr. Hagerty

Relief fuels Hagerty as she sees James Fink, coated in a viscera and spritzed with dirt.
    "You're alive! The world is collapsing, and William maintain it much longer. Tell these idiots that they need to trust Henry."
    She tries to tell Fink through a sealed mouth. She begins hastily signing now remembering the futility in trying to speak.
    She signs to Fink.World falling; They don't trust me. Give power to. She concludes pointing to Henry.

There isn't much that can be done by an SCP scientist to convince William now. The best that can be done now is give James Fink some extra time to convince William to do the right thing. Those windows don't look too secure. A thin grill and some brittle glass. Just the place for a trap. Flip a table here, sharpen the legs, and grease the bottom of the body for good measure.

OOC Plan: Either have Hagerty help James Fink convince William to give his powers to Henry or make a trap by the windows.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Titan in the Playground

Thomas quickly approaches the church, his vision obscured by the fog, and it seems at first a crowd is forming and filing in, like the opening of a Black Friday sale. But no, it's the villagers of this town.. what's left of them anyway, attempting to pile into the front door of the church now. He finds himself now near a bewildered SCP guard, with far too few bullets left to shoot them all, and flustered by the sudden appearance of a nude man who seems slightly familiar and like he's on the same team. It will be hard to get in the church now with all these throngs of people in the way.

The situation inside reaches a fevered pitch as puppeted villagers continue attempting to invade, crawling through the windows, and now beginning to pile through the broken front doors. The two guards remaining with James begin firing their rifles that way. "Winchester!" one cries out, as he more carefully begins trying to aim for their heads, only to be tackled by a person behind him leaping from a window. The hole in the roof continues to expand, with more debris falling down. Some of it actually falls on the invading swarm, but merely slows them down. Other parts nearly fall on Hank, William, and Olheim as they still seem to be bickering amongst themselves, having to raise their voices above the gunfire. All while Dr. Hagerty is frantically flailing her arms and manipulating her fingers at James to no avail.

William turns to James and says, "What did we get? All the powers of God and no control over it," he spits. "And what did we give? I see now, all we've been through is an endless cycle of misery!" He flings the possessed body of the villager that was taunting him into the throngs of people, bowling them over.

Olheim says, "The 'powers of God' but split into two. He got the omnipotence, and I got the omniscience, so to speak.." The answer of what to actually do might seem obvious now, but he continues, "But I've seen that merely trying to combine our powers into one is folly. I've seen many things. Still doomed to fail, or doomed to unleash an evil on this world. The divine will would never allow that."

He places a hand on Hank's shoulder and says, "But now it's as if a veil has been lifted. I see this man is a suitable vessel for both. Please, trust him, William. He's not really a criminal like you think. He shouldn't have been on death row. He has lost so much, like us, but remained strong. And he took the place of another so they might have a chance at redemption."

Hank shakes his head and begins muttering, "I still don't know if I did the right thing. 'Thou shalt not raise a false report: put not thine hand with the wicked to be an unrighteous witness...'"

Olheim smiles patiently, as much as anyone can in he dire scenario of fire, smoke, impending violence all around them. "I would say, perhaps you have served your penance."

Turning to William, he says, "William, please. You know we are out of time. I cannot guarantee what happens to us, but at least Lily.. I know she will be safe."

Finally, the man gives a resigned nod. It is time to end this charade.

= ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ ` = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = , ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ _ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ ` = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = _ ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = , ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = , ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ` ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = , ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~ = ~
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2023-11-27 at 07:20 AM.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Titan in the Playground

To all those present, your vision seems to fade. To black, to white, it's hard to say, and maybe color doesn't even matter, nor can be defined anymore. But your next experience is like waking from a dreamless sleep. The same could be said of those who died or who had fallen unconscious. Everyone wakes to an unfamiliar sight, though perhaps not all at the same time.

@All Present Players

You find yourself lying on the ground, in some sort of scrub desert. Very close by are abandoned buildings, so old, decrepit, and dry rotted that they appear as though they might be knocked over by a stiff breeze.

Taking a headcount, there seem to be:
    • three SCP guards (the ones who were all with you at the church and alive)
    • four D-class personnel: Chris, Marianne, Benjamin, and Cecily. Hank is nowhere to be found.
    • Kuzmo, in his burly man form and all gear present
    • Dr. Hagerty, with a functioning mouth again
    • Maribel, probably. But only Dr. Hagerty can see or hear her
    • James, just his usual badass self
    • Thomas, dressed as he was when entering Blumber
    • King, aka that darn cat
    • Lily, lying near what appeared to be the old church of the town
    • no sign of William or Reverend Olheim

It's early morning now and quite chilly. There is a thin mist in the air, as if there was fog lingering from the nightmare you experienced before, but it seems to be quickly dissipating. This place seems to just be a long-abandoned ghost town, like the one mentioned when people ticked off the SCP-1031 entities and got kicked out. There's an old, ill-maintained road nearby that apparently runs through what used to be this town. And it seems, for those with the proper gear and authority, communications are back online, should you attempt to reach back.

Perhaps one of those radio transmisions wakes you up.

"..you copy? ... I repeat, do you copy?"

7. - Top - End - #787
    Titan in the Playground

“Ugh…” James groans as reality reasserts itself around him. The sand had that early morning sensation, where it’s already warmed from the sun’s heat on the surface, but chill is detectable just beneath. It was a familiar feeling, one that he felt internally after almost every field mission. The warm relief at it all being over for a little while. The cold sense that he would never really understand what just happened. Each existing as two distinct senses, perfectly mixed in the man’s mind.

He squints in the morning sun. More survivors than expected. Good... That’s good. “Everyone in more or less one piece?” he calls out, before grabbing the radio and clicking it on.

“Field Commander James Fink reporting. The original anomaly appears to have ceased all activity on our end. We have suffered several personnel losses. As stands, all dispatched SCP’s are in workable condition. Three guards and four D Class have survived. We have an additional SCP to bring in for observation, call it SCP 1031b. Answers to Lily. Our transport was swallowed up in the anomaly, requesting extraction. We don’t appear to be in any immediate danger.”

Show

8. - Top - End - #788
    Titan in the Playground

"Fink?? Oh thank God," the voice over the radio blurts out. A bit unexpected, and ironic, really.

"... Ahem. Field Commander Fink. Good to hear from you."

"You are the first known to have returned from an SCP-1031 expansion event. We will want to debrief everyone as soon as possible. Extraction will be sent. What do your surroundings look like?"

"..."

"Is SCP-1031 neutralized, or are there any further dangers to report from it?"

"Is Dr. Hagerty with you as well? What are your losses?"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2023-11-27 at 04:49 PM.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Titan in the Playground

James takes a deep breath and repeats. The original anomaly appears to have ceased all activity on our end. We have suffered several personnel losses. As stands, all dispatched SCP’s are in workable condition. Three guards and four D Class have survived. We have an additional SCP to bring in for observation, call it SCP 1031b. Dr. Hagerty is alive. We appear to be in an abandoned ghost town, as others have described.”

Show

10. - Top - End - #790

DruidGuy

Dr. Hagerty

Dr. Hagerty groggily awakens face first on the dirt before rolling over and wiping the dust and ash from her eyes. The warm sunshine is a pleasant relief from cold darkness that had once enveloped the town and the dirt fine grainy dirt is a welcome replacement for broken glass and decaying rats.
    But what's this? It's malleable, gritty, and crunchy. Dr. Hagerty spits out the dirt suffusing her mouth taking a perverse glee in ejecting the dirty microbial paradise from her mouth.

Hearing Fink on the radio she stands beside him giving her own acknowledgement and brief.
    Dr. Kalispel Hagerty here. I can confirm Fink's report. The anomalous town has become inert and is most likely permanently beyond our reach. We lost some people but everyone in Fink's squad is accounted for along with one extra. I have a sample as well ready for lab analysis too. We are awaiting extraction, over.
    Dr. Hagerty pulls out a dusty vial containing a sample corn from the town. A piece of the simulacrum that was William's obsession. Maybe this small sample could offer a clue to the expansive but unreachable pocket dimension just waiting to be met.

She palms the ear of radio, muffling any sound it may intake while make a transparent gesture requesting James Fink's attention and signaling that this was a private conversation.
    Are you comfortable with giving the title 1031b? She swings her wing gently towards Lily as if pointing with an index finger would be incriminate the poor girl.
    I trust the best psychiatrists at SCP when they are primed to help a young girl instead of probing an anomaly. We should be careful not to push her any further. She speaks with concern. And SCP is very good at prodding.

OOC Plan: More character interactions until the extraction comes.
    Last edited by Plaids; 2023-11-28 at 03:45 AM.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Titan in the Playground

James lowers his voice. “I am aware. However, that young girl is am anomaly and needs to be treated as such. We can both note in our reports that until more is learned about her, she ought to be treated as a normal human child, including less invasive testing than is standard for new anomalies. But we also know very little about what she is. We have procedures for these things, Doctor. We’ve both seen things even last night that were not as they initially appeared. Eyes and sentiment cloud judgement in this job.”

Show

12. - Top - End - #792
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

5404 is dazed and taking in the change in scenery.

As the officials talk and radio in, he suppresses anger at Lily being assigned a number and, more likely than not, lifelong imprisonment. Maybe she'll be deemed a human and freed. To the horrors of the last day, he reminds himself that amnesiacs exist.

Once they finish talking, he simply asks, "So, uh, we won?" He notices the one D-class who was going to become a god is gone. "And, uh... did William and Olhelm-" He quickly cuts off his statement and looks around, as if expecting some creature to appear and ruin everything at the question.
    He half-expects a simple answer of Classified. Now that they're out of the near-death scenario, he feels it likely that he'll be back to simple "need to know".

13. - Top - End - #793
    Ogre in the Playground

When he had been torn asunder he felt the presence of something leave his body. In the clarity of death he saw memories that had been looked away flash before his eyes once more before his brain finally shut down.....

.... so when he reawakened in the duty remains of a town with everyone else, he was as surprised as he was happy to be alive! He laid there and giggled to himself as he processed everything and then sat up.

Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    He squints in the morning sun. More survivors than expected. Good... That’s good. “Everyone in more or less one piece?” he calls out, before grabbing the radio and clicking it on.
    "Yes James! I am alive!" He flopped to his feet, weapon and shield in hand, and started dancing about from how jovial he felt at still remaining his flesh and blood. "We did it! Or at least.... I think we did?" He stopped his silly dancing and thought for a moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFinchy View Post
    Schlub brotherhood! *High fives* We're gonna get somebody killed, one of these encounters.

14. - Top - End - #794

DruidGuy

Dr. Hagerty
    Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    James lowers his voice. “I am aware. However, that young girl is am anomaly and needs to be treated as such. We can both note in our reports that until more is learned about her, she ought to be treated as a normal human child, including less invasive testing than is standard for new anomalies. But we also know very little about what she is. We have procedures for these things, Doctor. We’ve both seen things even last night that were not as they initially appeared. Eyes and sentiment cloud judgement in this job.”
    Fink's job is unenviable. But he always has met the challenges and fulfilled the obligations. It is difficult for a scientist to understand how someone could continue fulfilling a job resisting the urge to grow an attachment to a subject grown through continued observation and familiarity. But Fink had risked his for the group and Lily. He could be trusted.

I won't deny that she might have anomalous abilities or qualities and we need to take precautions with her William. I wouldn't put it past William to try giving Lily one last gift before entrusting her to us. She acquiesces.
    Let's just try and honor the trust William placed in us.

Dr. Hagerty notices 5404 stirring and pulling himself up from the arid soil.
    We 'won' to the highest degree given the situation. Everyone in the original dispatch team is accounted for and we even have something good come with us from the town. She points to Lily still snoozing in the soft soil.

She squats down beside him lowering her voice and covering the sideview of her mouth as if sharing a piece of risqué schoolyard gossip.
    Maribel noticed how many times you took one for the team. She's too shy to say it herself but you've really impressed her. Please let her down gently if you can't reciprocate. She didn't spend a lot of time with boys when she was growing up.
    Last edited by Plaids; 2023-11-29 at 04:13 AM.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Firbolg in the Playground

The last thing Cecily Branting remembers is that awful rumbling noise, louder yet than the Taterball's cackling, and then the sharp, unbearably sudden pain of something heavy pressing against her as she tried to roll unto her side, as her shoulder was violently twisted forward and down, ribs shattered and aomething likely pulverized most of her pelvis. She didn't have time to find much reassurance in how that sleep was likely to last before all went dark.

But then, she shifted, barely aware, but somehow aware from that darkness to another, and then into plae, gray, dusty morning light. She sits up with such a sudden speed that even vertigo's not fast enough to catch up to feel… No pain. Her bones seem intact. She still has the safety goggles, but somehow doesn't really smell of puke anymore. She looks around, taking a quick count. Something's missing. The town, of course, and Longcoat and Priest Person, but… Where's Hank? she asks, flustered, her mouth dry.

Something, however, is not missing. She comes to regret opening her mouth just the moment she's done speaking. Probably the Lizard? He's not gone. And he's doing some kind of macabre ritual dance, right there. And she knows too much. They are going to eat her. She doesn't want to be eaten! She doesn't want to join the Taterball either!

Hugging herself, she starts shivering quite uncontrollably and tries to turn invisible while at that. They are going to eat her!

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Plaids View Post
    Maribel noticed how many times you took one for the team. She's too shy to say it herself but you've really impressed her. Please let her down gently if you can't reciprocate. She didn't spend a lot of time with boys when she was growing up.
    5404 doesn't respond verbally, but does nod slowly while attempting to suppress his discomfort. So either the crazy scientist thinks her imaginary friend is "into" him, or there's an invisible SCP who is linked to a scientist truly interested in him. The first is definitely not good for him, and the latter... well, it's too weird for him to really know what he'd think of it.

17. - Top - End - #797

DruidGuy

Dr. Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    She looks around, taking a quick count. Something's missing. The town, of course, and Longcoat and Priest Person, but… Where's Hank? she asks, flustered, her mouth dry.
    He received William's omnipotence and Olheim's omniscience. He is not with us now; he in a better place. Dr. Hagerty recounts to Tater Cecily. The doctors voice betraying a wistful sentiment for the man who had disappeared and would likely never return to this earthly dimension.

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Something, however, is not missing. She comes to regret opening her mouth just the moment she's done speaking. Probably the Lizard? He's not gone. And he's doing some kind of macabre ritual dance, right there. And she knows too much. They are going to eat her. She doesn't want to be eaten! She doesn't want to join the Taterball either!

Hugging herself, she starts shivering quite uncontrollably and tries to turn invisible while at that. They are going to eat her!
    She snaps out of her mood as Tater Cecily helplessly furls into the ground. The culprit is obviously the exuberantly dancing king lizard celebrating the mission's success.
    It's good to see you too Kuzmo, but please try to avoid adding to workload of the psychiatrists.
    She points to Tater now desperately attempting to envelope herself in her own limbs to hide herself from the reptilian warrior king.
    Last edited by Plaids; 2023-12-04 at 12:37 AM.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

"NOW THAT'S A DAMNED GOOD BOOK!"

Benjamin shouts, to project the zinger over the din of combat and inferno. But of course, neither were present; and of the muttered conversation and radio chatter occurring in the reconstituted aftermath of the horror, the hardworking handful of braincells inside his skull only spooled up to operative condition in the quietest, most settled moment possible. They're not in the church, now; and he doesn't have the bible in his hand either. All he can do is blink, as his brain clears its verbal buffer of his quip and tries to rationalize the situation.

He shoots to his feet, pivots on the spot for a moment, and looks blankly out at the other 'survivors'. A moment passes. He doesn't understand why he's here; why he's not dead, or on fire, or something.

But Benjamin is very good at rationalizing things he doesn't understand. People who don't understand things are stupid; and he is not stupid, so he understands. That's just obvious.

He adjusts his posture to one that displays less concern, and ambles over to the other D-Class. Finally, he voices to them with conspiratorial quiet the thought he'd had in the church, his tone laden with profundity:

"I'm telling you, guys. Something about this whole place seems off." He taps his nose with his fingertip, as if to suggest he has sniffed out some carefully hidden secret with it.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    "NOW THAT'S A DAMNED GOOD BOOK!"
    5404 jumps as one of the D-class yells something, then is confused as he tries to process the inane statement. It doesn't seem like he's about to attack anyone, but in case he's now Something, 5404 decides to keep an eye on him and subtly positions himself between between the D-class and where Lily is (and Dr. Hagerty, if possible).

He adjusts his posture to one that displays less concern, and ambles over to the other D-Class. Finally, he voices to them with conspiratorial quiet the thought he'd had in the church, his tone laden with profundity:

"I'm telling you, guys. Something about this whole place seems off." He taps his nose with his fingertip, as if to suggest he has sniffed out some carefully hidden secret with it.
    5404 raises his eyebrows at this... well, absurdly true statement that is utterly pointless to utter. Maybe this is just a... extra dumb D-class?
    Well, better than the "yeah this guy is willing to stab the SCP to see how quickly he heals"-type D-class. Urgh, that was not a good day.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Titan in the Playground

James gives a nod to 5404. “Yeah… mighty strange town, there. And if there’s a just god, we’ll never be sent back here again.”

Show

21. - Top - End - #801
    Firbolg in the Playground

He received William's omnipotence and Olheim's omniscience. He is not with us now; he in a better place. Dr. Hagerty recounts to Tater Cecily. The doctors voice betraying a wistful sentiment for the man who had disappeared and would likely never return to this earthly dimension.

She snaps out of her mood as Tater Cecily helplessly furls into the ground. The culprit is obviously the exuberantly dancing king lizard celebrating the mission's success.
    It's good to see you too Kuzmo, but please try to avoid adding to workload of the psychiatrists.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    [COLOR="#8B4513"]"I'm telling you, guys. Something about this whole place seems off." He taps his nose with his fingertip, as if to suggest he has sniffed out some carefully hidden secret with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    5404 raises his eyebrows at this... well, absurdly true statement that is utterly pointless to utter. Maybe this is just a... extra dumb D-class?
    Cecily, for her part, simply elescts to begin quietly sobbing in the background.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Titan in the Playground

Perhaps it was simply misunderstanding or miscommunication, or perhaps the voice on the other end, Dr. Curtis, simply hoped to glean more information from James, however, he quite adamantly repeated nearly everything he said word for word.

Replying to both Fink's and Hagerty's report, the voice on the radio says, "If this is true, that is excellent news. We will have to send a separate reconnaissance team to verify this, but we are hopeful."

"Extraction is en route. ETA nine minutes. It may be a little cramped. Over."

As Fink and Hagerty have a private conversation debating the ethics and potential dangers of their new situation, more people rouse, one by one. Eventually all the D-class and SCP guards are standing or sitting up, shaking the cobwebs out of their heads. Very quickly, operations roughly start to fall into order, with the D-class clearly the powerless prisoner guinae pigs again, and the guards watching over them, alive and well but perhaps still trigger happy from the harrowing experience.

Thomas seems skeptical that this ordeal is truly over, though even after invoking the names of the so-called deities they encountered earlier, nothing pops out to eat everyone. Very slowly, the sun continues to climb into the sky, warming the chilly air, and the silence, albeit for perhaps the infrequent wild bird calls, seems rather ordinary.

Kuzmo dances a relatively innocent dance, but it still creeps poor Cecily out.. Thankfully there's nothing really threatening here, unless you count armed guards keeping an eye on you threatening. But Hank, alas poor Hank, the rock of stability Cecily used to cling to is gone. As if he vanished out of thin air, like the rest of that town.

Benjamin, probably by far the slowest of the bunch, wakes and makes his astute observations to the others. Chris and Marianne can only nod slowly and give each other a knowing look.

And then Lily wakes.

Perhaps Benjamin's inane shouting finally roused the young girl. She sits up and squints at the sun, rubbing her eyes. After looking around curiously, her face morphs from confusion, then to worry. "What happened?" she asks. "Where is everyone? Are they okay?"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2023-12-04 at 02:44 PM.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Ogre in the Playground

She points to Tater now desperately attempting to envelope herself in her own limbs to hide herself from the reptilian warrior king.
    "Understood fellow doctor. Mind things are not my expertise." He nodded, finding a place to sit and reflect both on his survival and the memories returned to his mind.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    and yeah! About time someone got his descriptor right. :D

Then Lily awoke and he smiled again. "Lily! Yes I think we're all ok." He makes the effort to use the ring to hide his coal-like eyes and look like the pudgy man she knew him as before, not sure if she remembered we was in fact a large orange lizard.
    Schlub brotherhood! *High fives* We're gonna get somebody killed, one of these encounters.

24. - Top - End - #804

DruidGuy

Dr. Hagerty
    Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    And then Lily wakes.

Perhaps Benjamin's inane shouting finally roused the young girl. She sits up and squints at the sun, rubbing her eyes. After looking around curiously, her face morphs from confusion, then to worry. "What happened?" she asks. "Where is everyone? Are they okay?"
    She sits down beside the girl in the soft silty soil.
    They are safe and in a better place. She warmly relays to Lily with a well-practiced countenance.

A fair assumption given how Henry had returned everyone here in one piece, forgoing any vengeance and wrath.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

5404 sighs at Lily's question and hearing the half-true answers given to her. Yeah, not that he could not better.

At the moment, he says nothing, but repeats in his mind, "Amnestics are a thing."
    He usually avoids bouts of depression via video games or just being thankful he's not being repeatably killed in some test, but he has started to feel a bit sullen at Lily's upcoming imprisonment. He tries to suppress the thought of how many times his memory has probably been wiped.

But she's alive.
    And... probably free of William and whatever cycle of chaos was happening in this town. Maybe a civilian holding cell would be better than a town that is a mockery of life and being brutally murdered each year only to remade by a pseudo-god grandpa.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Titan in the Playground

James looks in Lily’s direction. This child, simultaneously a year old, grade school age, and older than every human here. A child who will quite possibly never again know the feeling of sunlight, never hear the voice of her mother or father or grandfather ever again. Who will not know going to school with other children, going on dates with boy and girls, finding the person she loves and marrying them, of being a mother if she so chose. She’d never have a normal job, go to the theater, party at clubs, sit in bookstores drinking overpriced coffee while deciding if she wanted to buy a book that caught her eye.

She’d know heartbreak though. She’d have that in spades.

James looks in Lily’s direction, his mouth moving mechanically as he speaks. “Don’t you worry, Lily. Everyone’s exactly where they need to be.” But he doesn’t look at SCP 1031b. He probably would never be able to look directly at SCP 1031b.

“Kuzmo, please secure King. If he would ever make a break for it, it would be right now.”

Show

27. - Top - End - #807
    Ogre in the Playground

Kuzmo nodded to James and picked up the cat in one hand. "Kitty."

He put all his things on his belt and held the soft feline, giving him pets and ear scratches all the while like some huge child. "Yes little kitty stick with me. I will give you pets and jerky.....assuming I still have any."

28. - Top - End - #808
    Titan in the Playground

Lily regards the answers given to her by the adults dubiously. She may be a child but she wasn't stupid. Though 'being in a better place' wasn't really a euphemism she was familiar with. She had no experience with death, with relatives dying, and yet.. actually she did, quite a lot. She just didn't know it.

The girl looks around confused. "But where are they?" she asks again. "Where's my Ma and Pa? Where's the other kids, and neighbors?" She squints up at the church or what may have been left of it after all these years. "Where are we?"

Then as instructed, Kuzmo grabs King, who immediately starts making a fuss. "Heey!! Let go of me!! I wasn't going to run, I was going to try to cheer up the girl, I swear!" King yowls. The talking, sentient cat doesn't take kindly to Kuzmo's meaty grasp and attempts at gently petting him. His claws scratch at Kuzmo's tough skin to no avail.

This immediately gets Lily's attention. The beloved cat she thought was so cute, the one that peed on her rug. The one who talked earlier. Her eyes widen. "That wasn't a dream?"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2023-12-06 at 02:55 AM.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Titan in the Playground

“You had a dream? Why don’t you tell us about it?”

Show

30. - Top - End - #810
    Titan in the Playground

Lily shakes her head and says, "No, you were in it. You all were in it!"

"It was Halloween, and a bunch of strangers came into town with a broken down car. That was you all! Or.. some of you? And then weird things started happening, and it was foggy, and there was lightning, and our house crashed into the ground.."

She looks fearful. "And then there were rats, and we were driving around in a car.. Michael saved my life so many times. You hid me in the church organ and.. and..."

Her eyes dart around wildly.