New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] The SCP Foundation - Chapter 1: Trick or Treat

With an expression of growing desperation taking shape on her face Cecily blurts out a quick, but subdued Just… Stop it, guys. Geez. even as she begins frantically rubbing and shaking her hands under the table to get them… Well, not clean, but closer to clean, her nervous glance jumping between the faces of her fellow inmates and the looming figures of the guards. Why on earth do these two want to make themselves and, worse yet, her, if only by association the business of those guards? Look, she goes on. don't know about you people, but I'm here to be not-dead. she averts her face, feeling some unwelcome blood rushing into it. The left corner of her lips twitches slightly, and her foot resumes its monotonous, alarmed pounding on the floor. It worked so far, I guess. she lowers her head and raises it just as rapidly, turning back towards the table. So this works for me. Beyond that, I don't wanna think about it. Like, I really don't.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-10-25 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Â.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

5404 tries to follow the questions. Sounds creepy and scary, like some horror flick, but nothing too likely to get him killed several times in very painful ways. So an easy job? Easier than most.

But failing a mission often leads to unpleasant testing, so failing is still bad.

"Based on the ghost town thing, it sounds like if any of us tick off the villagers and get shoved out of town, then all of us would just see a ghost town if we tried to get back, right? So we have to be discrete if we want to find out anything."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

”SCP-777 will likely be most useful, given his telepathic abilities. Just learning whether or not the people of the town are real individuals or not would be a good place to start.”
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    5404 tries to follow the questions. Sounds creepy and scary, like some horror flick, but nothing too likely to get him killed several times in very painful ways. So an easy job? Easier than most.

But failing a mission often leads to unpleasant testing, so failing is still bad.

"Based on the ghost town thing, it sounds like if any of us tick off the villagers and get shoved out of town, then all of us would just see a ghost town if we tried to get back, right? So we have to be discrete if we want to find out anything."
    Director Lambert nods. "I concur. Any behavior that could draw their suspicion or garner their ire would most likely result in being forced to leave, one way or another. Though that may be the safest option, all things considered, I fear that will lead to us learning very little..."

Dr. Curtis clears her throat and stands, her break finished. "Director, I think you mean 'mission failure'." He nods. Addressing everyone again she says, "We do have a plan to get you in the hamlet of Blumber with minimal suspicion. You might even have a chance to investigate without drawing too much attention. We will get more into those details later."

Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    ”SCP-777 will likely be most useful, given his telepathic abilities. Just learning whether or not the people of the town are real individuals or not would be a good place to start.”
    "Agreed. We believe SCP-777 will give us a great deal of insight, while being completely innocuous... provided he does not speak in the presence of any resident of SCP-1031."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Daniel barely suppressed a sigh as his joke was...ill-received. No sense of humor to be found here, he reminded himself, they've all had their funny bones surgically removed. He shrugged it off and dropped the point, just listening and nodding along to the conversation until some questions occurred to him...and it was probably helpful if they were answered where everyone else could hear them too. He cleared his throat.

"I've got a few questions. You mentioned area growth but steady population. Is it the town itself that's growing, the fields, or both? You mentioned visitors, but uh...just looking at the map, it's not really on the way from anywhere to anywhere else. Have they been questioned? Especially if it's repeated visitors, or related visitors. My first guess, which means I'm sure y'all thought of it decades ago, would be that visitors is family of the people who live in town, since why else would you be passing through? And if they've got family on the outside, that maybe helps confirm they're real people without mind reading. But yeah, any insights from people who've visited but not been kicked out?"

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    "I've got a few questions. You mentioned area growth but steady population. Is it the town itself that's growing, the fields, or both?"
    "The growth of SCP-1031 appears to be mainly in the size of the corn fields. However, very rarely, we have noticed the addition of another building or two after a growth event. And the population, as I said, fluctuates. Getting an accurate headcount on all the residents of SCP-1031 is difficult, but we speculate that the average population is increasing, albeit slowly."

"You mentioned visitors, but uh...just looking at the map, it's not really on the way from anywhere to anywhere else. Have they been questioned? Especially if it's repeated visitors, or related visitors. My first guess, which means I'm sure y'all thought of it decades ago, would be that visitors is family of the people who live in town, since why else would you be passing through? And if they've got family on the outside, that maybe helps confirm they're real people without mind reading. But yeah, any insights from people who've visited but not been kicked out?"
    The doctor has to raise her hand to stop this other flood of questions and comments. "We are very well-aware of the map and the hamlet's positioning," she says sharply.

"I think you are reading too much into the word 'visitor'. It is correct that Oklahoma Highway 399 is seldom traveled. And most people who do travel through SCP-1031 go straight through without stopping. We believe that with the advent of smartphones and programs which offer driving directions, this area has been driven through more often than before. However, not all driving apps feature this as a valid road. It appears that some have taken it upon themselves to manually enter it into their systems."

"As for those that have briefly stayed in the hamlet of Blumber: it has been an exceedingly rare occurrence that we have already been monitoring. When we followed up with these people and asked them about the hamlet, they did not notice anything unusual, and simply thought it was 'a charming little rural town'. To quote one tourist. Most of these 'visitors' are our own personnel. And we have yet to discover anyone traveling from outside SCP-1031 who claims to live there, or have family there."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2022-10-25 at 10:52 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hmm well as nice and bucolic as this all sounds, you've not exactly assembled a team of land-dealers and farmers." Kuzmo nods. "You called me in for example. Granted, I have a grand ability to track and know a good bit of how magic works.....but you also never said I wouldn't need my weapon and gear. Gave a risk of dismemberment and death.Meaning you expect that there'll be trouble. "

The large being taps his temple. "I assume I am there to protect the little ones, not kill a target, so what do you expect me to be having to defend against? Have the town folk ever be taken prisoners... or bodies?"
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFinchy View Post
    Schlub brotherhood! *High fives* We're gonna get somebody killed, one of these encounters.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hand ax ranger View Post
    "Hmm well as nice and bucolic as this all sounds, you've not exactly assembled a team of land-dealers and farmers." Kuzmo nods. "You called me in for example. Granted, I have a grand ability to track and know a good bit of how magic works.....but you also never said I wouldn't need my weapon and gear. Gave a risk of dismemberment and death.Meaning you expect that there'll be trouble. "

The large being taps his temple. "I assume I am there to protect the little ones, not kill a target, so what do you expect me to be having to defend against? Have the town folk ever be taken prisoners... or bodies?"
    Dr. Curtis listens skeptically, neither nodding nor making any faces. "If it hasn't been made clear by now, the answer to your question is: we don't know."

"We have no current record of SCP-1031 residents ever doing such, but theoretically, there is nothing stopping them. We have yet to understand how they fully operate, particularly in an aggressive state."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

James goes through his notes one more time, crosses off several questions as others ask something basically the same, and then frowns. ”So what is our mission here? Eliminate the anomaly? Find the source of it? Bring back a resident for study?”

Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Dr. Curtis listens skeptically, neither nodding nor making any faces. "If it hasn't been made clear by now, the answer to your question is: we don't know."

"We have no current record of SCP-1031 residents ever doing such, but theoretically, there is nothing stopping them. We have yet to understand how they fully operate, particularly in an aggressive state."
    He pays her disinterest no mind and thinks more. "This in mind you say they require no resources form the outside world? So they have produced all their own food even? What if this town is instead a feeder? Taking in lives from outside itself and feeding off their life energies? Perhaps it is growing larger as these "Driving apps" keep taking people into the town."
    Schlub brotherhood! *High fives* We're gonna get somebody killed, one of these encounters.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground

King get's the smuggest feeling. Thinking to himself that "ha these humans really need me that much. How pathetic. Milk and catnip here we come!"
    Just a note i got adhd and autism.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Thomas doesn't like the idea of taking someone into Foundation captivity, especially if they are an innocent except for one day a year. But two years of being a prisoner himself make him a touch jaded about it. If that is part of their mission, it shouldn't be too hard.

He scratches his head and hesitantly asks, "Sorry if you already mentioned this, but why hasn't the Foundation taken and questioned a villager? I get they aren't the anomaly themselves -- at least, probably they aren't -- but, uh..."
    He lets his sentence awkwardly trail off instead of saying something snarky about the lack of ethics the Foundation has shown to some anomalies or risking saying something that sounds like the Foundation hasn't done something it should've done already. The Doctor seems annoyed enough already.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2022-10-25 at 03:39 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Secure Conference-01

Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    James goes through his notes one more time, crosses off several questions as others ask something basically the same, and then frowns. ”So what is our mission here? Eliminate the anomaly? Find the source of it? Bring back a resident for study?”
    "We would like to find out as much as we can. In particular, we need to figure out what is happening during these growth events. Our end goal is to either neutralize SCP-1031, or at least, stop it from growing. And no, the residents are to be left as is for the time being."

Quote Originally Posted by hand ax ranger View Post
    He pays her disinterest no mind and thinks more. "This in mind you say they require no resources form the outside world? So they have produced all their own food even? What if this town is instead a feeder? Taking in lives from outside itself and feeding off their life energies? Perhaps it is growing larger as these "Driving apps" keep taking people into the town."
    "More speculation," Dr. Curtis says. "Though I believe there are inconsistencies in your theory. For one thing, the driving apps I mentioned are only a recent invention. Secondly, SCP-1031 had been steadily growing in size for the past fifty years."

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    He scratches his head and hesitantly asks, "Sorry if you already mentioned this, but why hasn't the Foundation taken and questioned a villager? I get they aren't the anomaly themselves -- at least, probably they aren't -- but, uh..."
    At this, Dr. Curtis seems particularly agitated and folds her arms. "This has certainly crossed our minds. Do you have any idea what would happen if we did that, though?"

After a long and deafening period of silence, she says, "Exactly. You don't. None of us do. If we were to outright abduct residents from SCP-1031, there is no telling what will happen!"

Director Lambert stands, reaching out an arm attempting to calm the blonde scientist down. "Now, now, Doctor Curtis. I think, perhaps I am better equipped to explain..."

He looks about the room to everyone but his gaze ultimately fixes on Thomas. "The SCP Foundation stands for three things, if you are not aware. Secure. Contain. Protect. Though it may seem we are being lazy or incompetent with our jobs, we actually have good reason to be minimally invasive. You see, these anomalies.. well, we call them that for a reason. There is much we do not know about them. Imagine, if you will, you were delivered an unknown device with many buttons. Pressing one button may play music, another button may turn your possessions to gold.. and yet another button may blow up half the planet."

Director Lambert smiles grimly. "Much like a black box, we simply do not know how they work, and much like a bomb, any excessive tampering may have dire consequences. I am afraid, we have not tried to abduct any residents from SCP-1031 because we thought the risk was too great. As long as the SCP maintained predictable behaviors and did not grow too much, the Foundation was content to leave it be, let it sit on the back burners, if you will, in hopes of acquiring new discoveries, or new technologies that might help. However, in the recent years, with the accelerated growth of SCP-1031, we have had to change our priorities, and the higher-ups are now convinced that this anomaly can no longer be ignored."

Raising a finger, he adds, "That said, I still believe that presently, outright abducting a citizen from the small town of Blumber is ill-advised, and while we may be forced to attempt such a thing, we believe there are other options we should pursue first.. which is now, why we have involved you."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Thomas looks around at the other SCPs around, trying (and mostly succeeding) on suppressing a frown at the talk of being minimally invasive and careful. it's not like they were "careful" with abducting him from the hospital. But he supposes he is glad they aren't abducting more people.

So he simply nods, ready to listen to the "other options".
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2022-10-25 at 06:07 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Straightening herself up and smoothing her clean jacket Kalispell makes direct eye contact to loyally respond. Thankfully she replaced her lab coat and restrained most of her hair before arriving.
    You know you can count on me Lambert. After all you've done for me, I'm down for anything boss-man.

Just to sweeten the deal with the elder director a fashionable orange sealed baggy is generously brought to him.
    Seems better than the last group I rode with. Feel free to snack on these if your anxiety starts to get the better of you. My sister Maribel gave me the recipe and did the baking but make sure Jaylen to not eat them around Jaylen. He's too young for the stuff. It's all natural and caffeine free. No use in worrying what about what can't control in halfway across the world right?

Kalispell then quickly glances at the small crowd in the room that she would soon be working with.
    Last edited by Plaids; 2022-10-26 at 04:31 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by Plaids View Post
    Straightening herself up and smoothing her clean jacket Kalispell makes direct eye contact to loyally respond. Thankfully she replaced her lab coat and restrained most of her hair before arriving.
    You know you can count on me Lambert. After all you've done for me, I'm down for anything boss-man.

Just to sweeten the deal with the elder director a fashionable orange sealed baggy is generously brought to him.
    Seems better than the last group I rode with. Feel free to snack on these if your anxiety starts to get the better of you. My sister Maribel gave me the recipe and did the baking but make sure Jaylen to not eat them around Jaylen. He's too young for the stuff. It's all natural and caffeine free. No use in worrying what about what can't control in halfway across the world right?

Kalispell then quickly glances at the small crowd in the room that she would soon be working with.
    "is that food or is that the human equivalent of cat nip? I can't tell"

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Daniel remembers another thing he wanted confirmation on...or rather, maybe needed?

"The SCP Foundation has sent field agents to investigate the anomalous properties of SCP-1031 multiple times. During periods of non-growth, they were eventually expelled from the hamlet and could no longer return as normal. Anyone who had direct contact with expelled individuals, or who heard about the experience through word of mouth also could not access the hamlet normally, and only came upon the ghost town. When field agents investigated SCP-1031 on the evening of October 31st last year, all contact was lost, and they went missing."
    "Oh, what's the range on that 'direct contact' issue? Or I guess, is it a range limitation, or a medium limitation?"

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

"Aw, y'see what you did now, Tater you blockhead? Y'made her upset. Next time you're in line for the commisary, you better ask for an aspirin; 'cause I'm gonna punch you in the back of the head."

This, and comments like it back and forth, were the flavor of the day. Ben, clearly; wasn't ready to let it go; and Tater didn't seem willing to show weakness. One or both of them might have acted differently, however, if they had any idea about what was in store.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    I think we might be done with the cafeteria scene, possibly. Looking forward to being herded into the reality-hazard meatgrinder!
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-10-26 at 07:37 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Director Lambert nods and smiles, the same usual calm and patient smile everyone should be used to by now. "Ah, another fortune cookie? You are too kind, Doctor Hagerty." Meanwhile Dr. Curtis glances away briefly. Some of you may think you catch her rolling her eyes.

"Oh, what's the range on that 'direct contact' issue? Or I guess, is it a range limitation, or a medium limitation?"
    "Apologies. That is a somewhat vague description. Generally speaking, anyone in the company of said expelled individual is also similarly affected by SCP-1031 and cannot access the hamlet of Blumber. They only arrive upon the ghost town as well. Anyone coordinating with said individual, be it following them, moving ahead, or even attempting to enter SCP-1031 from the opposite side still results in the same effect. This also seems to go for anyone who has directly spoken with such individuals, which makes us believe the effect is similar to a memetic hazard. Though we have done extensive testing, we still are not absolutely certain how this phenomenon works."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2022-10-26 at 10:20 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

DruidGuy

Kalispell Hagerty
    Quote Originally Posted by Ameraaaaaa View Post
    "is that food or is that the human equivalent of cat nip? I can't tell"
    Nervously readjusting her spectacles, the doctor quickly informs the feline to avert tragedy.
    Oh it is human "cat nip" but it's not for grownups or cats like you kitten. If you're looking for some herbal remedy, I might be able to schedule an experiment involving you and the agricultural sloths, some which have been seeded with catnip suited for you.

The director was strict on who was allowed in the herbal laboratories and had yet to be fully enlightened of the vast benefits of herbal remedies. He'd fully see the light before her return home.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

"Apologies. That is a somewhat vague description. Generally speaking, anyone in the company of said expelled individual is also similarly affected by SCP-1031 and cannot access the hamlet of Blumber. They only arrive upon the ghost town as well. Anyone coordinating with said individual, be it following them, moving ahead, or even attempting to enter SCP-1031 from the opposite side still results in the same effect. This also seems to go for anyone who has directly spoken with such individuals, which makes us believe the effect is similar to a memetic hazard. Though we have done extensive testing, we still are not absolutely certain how this phenomenon works."
    Daniel nods along. Given that they were spreading the information to them by word of mouth, it was probably a limit on how many people the effect could travel through rather than a matter of what medium the information spread through, but that was just a guess; he knew firsthand how seriously they took mind-virus stuff, and truth be told the stuff made him nervous as well since it could follow him through the daydreams if he wasn't careful. If they'd done a lot of testing and still weren't sure how it worked, that probably meant it was more complicated and weirder than usual, which made it more dangerous.

"We would like to find out as much as we can. In particular, we need to figure out what is happening during these growth events. Our end goal is to either neutralize SCP-1031, or at least, stop it from growing. And no, the residents are to be left as is for the time being."
    "So, two things. First is, between me and the cat, we could probably do some good work figuring out the limit on the memetic thing...assuming we don't just try stuff you've already tried, I guess. But you can tell us about it, so there's some kinda limit to it? Second thing, given what I've heard, I think I actually have had a relevant dream recently. Would you prefer a verbal description, or a drawing?"

My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #52

Kalispell Hagerty

Nervously readjusting her spectacles, the doctor quickly informs the feline to avert tragedy.
    Oh it is human "cat nip" but it's not for grownups or cats like you kitten. If you're looking for some herbal remedy, I might be able to schedule an experiment involving you and the agricultural sloths, some which have been seeded with catnip suited for you.

The director was strict on who was allowed in the herbal laboratories and had yet to be fully enlightened of the vast benefits of herbal remedies. He'd fully see the light before her return home.
    "as long as it involves catnip I'm in!"

King is noticeably wagging his tail. Which is a sign of cats being happy. King is very much a catnip addict though he'd never admit it. Afterall addictions are for lesser species. King "knows" this very well.

23. - Top - End - #53

DruidGuy

Kalispell Hagerty

The SCP Foundation has sent field agents to investigate the anomalous properties of SCP-1031 multiple times. During periods of non-growth, they were eventually expelled from the hamlet and could no longer return as normal. Anyone who had direct contact with expelled individuals, or who heard about the experience through word of mouth also could not access the hamlet normally, and only came upon the ghost town. When field agents investigated SCP-1031 on the evening of October 31st last year, all contact was lost, and they went missing."[/COLOR]

Dr. Curtis stops and attempts to look at everyone in the darkened room.

"Now then. Are there any questions?"
    Sounds like a cozy place honestly, it might even be my ticket back home. But I got some question before we leave.
    Is the land the town occupies formerly Native American land or have any other notable historical events occur on it? I've experienced a few SCPs with a painful historical past and discovering their history has saved my teams several times already.
    Has anyone in this room been expelled the town? I doubt it but if you are a primary source giving us this briefing then this entire mission needs a new team. But I will gladly inform the next team if need be.

Dr. Hagerty continues her train of thought wringing every question out and tactical suggestion for Lambert.
    Also do you have a plan for how we make our entrance? Cause if you don't then Maribel just gave me the best idea. Infiltrating the town as one big family. She even has all the flannels and hide hats picked out. Though I will need to put Jaylen in the daycare before we leave.

Dr. Hagerty tenses and abruptly concludes her train of thought as her right swivels to focus on Dr. Curtis.
    Jaylen, don't be rude Dr. Curtis is busy and needs to impress her boss. I'll ask her about it ok?
    After chiding then reassuring her son Dr. Hagerty continues, now addressing Dr. Curtis.

So Dr. Curtis what king of growth rate are we looking at here polynomial, exponential, factorial? You are the best with applied actuarial mathematics. After eying Lambert and returning her focus to Dr. Curtis. Nervously tugging just, a bit on her clean lab coat before straightening herself out she asks.

And uhm... anyway. Dr. Curtis would you like schedule a get together after this mission? Maribel and Jaylen would like to share notes with you. If your tired of the blonde I could do your hair you would make a great Redhead and an even better Raven. Well, those are all my questions. Thank you both for your time.

Dr. Hagerty returns to full attention with as serious a regimented demeanor as she can pull off.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

"So, two things. First is, between me and the cat, we could probably do some good work figuring out the limit on the memetic thing...assuming we don't just try stuff you've already tried, I guess. But you can tell us about it, so there's some kinda limit to it? Second thing, given what I've heard, I think I actually have had a relevant dream recently. Would you prefer a verbal description, or a drawing?"
    Dr. Curtis raises an eyebrow. "At this time, the strange memetic properties regarding who is allowed inside SCP-1031 and who isn't is not our priority." She nods to the first question. At the mention of the dream, she says, "Oh? That is most interesting."

She looks at the director briefly, who nods seemingly pleased with himself, before continuing. "For now, if you are certain the dream doesn't involve you being expelled from SCP-1031, you may share it verbally with everyone. A drawing later on would be helpful as well."

Dr. Curtis also quickly walks over to retrieve a clipboard of hers, ready to write.

Kalispell Hagerty
    "Sounds like a cozy place honestly, it might even be my ticket back home. But I got some question before we leave.

Is the land the town occupies formerly Native American land or have any other notable historical events occur on it? I've experienced a few SCPs with a painful historical past and discovering their history has saved my teams several times already."
    "Unfortunately we have no records regarding the hamlet of Blumber or any notable events that occurred within that area."

"Has anyone in this room been expelled the town? I doubt it but if you are a primary source giving us this briefing then this entire mission needs a new team. But I will gladly inform the next team if need be.
    "No. This would not be the first time that has happened, however, the information we received was all via written documentation. As far as we are aware the semi-memetic properties of SCP-1031 do not spread via a written medium."

Dr. Hagerty continues her train of thought wringing every question out and tactical suggestion for Lambert.
    "Also do you have a plan for how we make our entrance? Cause if you don't then Maribel just gave me the best idea. Infiltrating the town as one big family. She even has all the flannels and hide hats picked out. Though I will need to put Jaylen in the daycare before we leave."
    "We already did have a plan in mind, however, seeing as you will be personally overseeing this operation, Dr. Hagerty, your suggestions are welcome," Dr. Curtis says gazing blankly at Dr. Hargerty.

Spoiler: Ameraaaaaaaa
    Show
    Actually what she's thinking is, 'Don't ruin my plan, you loopy old bat.'

Dr. Hagerty tenses and abruptly concludes her train of thought as her right swivels to focus on Dr. Curtis.
    "Jaylen, don't be rude Dr. Curtis is busy and needs to impress her boss. I'll ask her about it ok?"
    After chiding then reassuring her son Dr. Hagerty continues, now addressing Dr. Curtis.

"So Dr. Curtis what king of growth rate are we looking at here polynomial, exponential, factorial? You are the best with applied actuarial mathematics."
    Dr. Hagerty's strange behavior does not elicit any looks, aside from a blank stare again. "Until recently, the growth rate was exponential. Granted, at a steady increase in diameter of 1.8% per year, it was slow. Now that growth has accelerated, I couldn't tell you the answer to that question. It's too fast for our liking."

After eying Lambert and returning her focus to Dr. Curtis. Nervously tugging just, a bit on her clean lab coat before straightening herself out she asks.

And uhm... anyway. Dr. Curtis would you like schedule a get together after this mission? Maribel and Jaylen would like to share notes with you. If your tired of the blonde I could do your hair you would make a great Redhead and an even better Raven. Well, those are all my questions. Thank you both for your time.

Dr. Hagerty returns to full attention with as serious a regimented demeanor as she can pull off.
    Almost imperceptibly, Dr. Curtis twitches, and after a slightly awkward pause, she responds, "No, Doctor. This meeting isn't the time for personal discussions."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2022-10-27 at 05:55 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55

"We already did have a plan in mind, however, seeing as you will be personally overseeing this operation, Dr. Hagerty, your suggestions are welcome," Dr. Curtis says gazing blankly at Dr. Hargerty.

Spoiler: Ameraaaaaaaa
    Show
    Actually what she's thinking is, 'Don't ruin my plan, you loopy old bat.'

]
    King laughs at Dr Curtis's thoughts. "Sorry. Just remembered something funny."

King almost feels bad for laughing. Emphasis on almost. Afterall Dr Hargerty was gonna get cat nip for king's experiments but king couldn't deny she was a little weird. Well little is a understatement.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Dr. Curtis raises an eyebrow. "At this time, the strange memetic properties regarding who is allowed inside SCP-1031 and who isn't is not our priority." She nods to the first question. At the mention of the dream, she says, "Oh? That is most interesting."

She looks at the director briefly, who nods seemingly pleased with himself, before continuing. "For now, if you are certain the dream doesn't involve you being expelled from SCP-1031, you may share it verbally with everyone. A drawing later on would be helpful as well."

Dr. Curtis also quickly walks over to retrieve a clipboard of hers, ready to write.
    "...well, I was able to see people. So that probably means I wasn't kicked out..." he mutters, before clearing his throat. "Most of it's too hazy to recall, but there's one bit that's seared in. So, I'm in a cornfield, with cornstalks bundled together for harvest as far as I can see in every direction. I'm just about under a gnarled old tree missing most of its leaves, and not too far off I can see...well, I think it's a church? It's got the right look, the tall steeple. Given the size of the town, 'the part between the church and the tree in the cornfield' probably gives you a location? Assuming this is accurate."

"Anyway...a patch of corn's been cleared out. There's pumpkins scattered around the clearing, and people dancing around a bonfire. Since they're kinda far away and they're only silhouettes against the bonfire, I can't tell how big they are, but they're all around the same height - might be all little kids, all teenagers, all adults. Hard to say. Anyway, they're dancing around the bonfire. The base of the bonfire is a mound of pumpkins. In the center is some kind of figure, looks like a man made of sticks with ragged clothes and a big jack-o-lantern for a head. He's about three times as tall as the people dancing around him, so anywhere from ten to twenty feet? His pumpkin head looks bigger than the other pumpkins that are the same distance. It's possible he was moving? But it might just be the bonfire light flickering. Oh, the church from earlier is behind and to the left of the bonfire and the dancers. I mean, not directly behind them, I'm not sure about distance, I just mean from my perspective. There's other buildings I can sorta see, but they're right behind the bonfire from my perspective, so I can't make out details, it's ruining my night vision too badly. Can probably only see the church cuz there's a big circle of light in the sky. Scene's too dark to be daytime, so it's probably a full moon? That should help narrow down the timing."

"Last thing is, I'm with someone. He's a bit in front of me to the left, maybe ten, fifteen feet? He's got a big pilgrim-looking hat and a big coat that makes it hard to see any details on him, and he's leaning on something long and straight. A cane, or a shovel? Doesn't seem like a weapon, at least. I don't think he was moving, could be a scarecrow or just a really still guy, I'm not sure."
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2022-10-27 at 07:10 AM.

My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ooooo yes that could work great for her!"

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Dr. Curtis writes down notes rapidly. She jots and jots until Daniel stops. She looks at him, waiting for more information, but none comes. She seems disappointed.

"Hm. Interesting. A ritual of some kind, I am sure. It seems to be related to the 'offerings' that the people start placing in the town center. And there is a church in SCP-1031 as well..."

She checks her notes again.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

5404 looks at Dr. Hagerty with some confusion. At first he dismissed her talks of Jaylen and some woman as people she and the other staff knew, but it seems clear she thinks someone else is here. She looks like Foundation staff, and they said she's in charge of this mission... but... what? No way an SCP would be in charge (right?), but is she crazy or some SCP is following her? He's heard rumors of some staff who stay staff after an SCP makes them think sideways, or of people too valuable to fire despite going a little crazy or being contaminated.
    Well... guess someone a little crazy being in charge doesn't really matter.

He listens to the man give details of his dream. Definitely a horror movie, he thinks.

Hesitantly, he adds, "In addition to the ideas for this mission and our objective, can we know about the others on our team? I mean, like, can I -- an SCP -- know what's up with... um, his dreams, and the cat and..." He looks hesitantly towards SCP-4500, feeling too intimidated to say much. "Uh, I don't mind my anomaly being shared. I can help protect the others better if they expect it."

Spoiler: in case
    Show
    If Thomas is asked to describe it himself, he says, "I heal fast, so getting injured isn't really a deal. Like faster than Wolverine from the X-Men. So don't be surprised if I take a bullet for you, if it comes to it. It also lets me be a little faster and stronger than your average person, since my muscles don't tire and they heal if I tear them any. I have some medical training; they usually give me a first aid kit on missions." He pauses, then adds, "And, uh, I come back if I die. Takes a few seconds. But it's not comfortable, so, um, y'know, best to avoid it."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

James listens intently to the SCP’s vision, writing down notes as the young man speaks.

Show