New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Power of the Doctor (Who) - Goodbye Chibnall

Well I didn't see that coming! (I mean, there were a ton of leaks from set, so I did, but I still enjoyed how they did it.)

Herein be spoilers for Jodie Whittaker's final(?) outing as the 13th Doctor - in my opinion, easily her best episode, and quite a fitting sendoff:

Spoiler: General Thoughts
    Show
    - Tegan and Ace (companions to the 5th and 7th doctors respectively) coming back and getting much needed closure from their runs was phenomenal to see. (I hadn't watched their times in the TARDIS, but I did look into how they rather abruptly left.) Also great were the return of Kate and... Graham!!

- Sacha Dhawan's Master continued to steal every scene he was in (Ra-Ra-Rasputin). The whole Daleks and Cybermen teaming up thing is starting to get old though. You'd think they'd learn not to trust any Time Lord by this point.

- Yaz finally got something to do! Even if she needed handholding by the Doctor's recording. And the romance "subplot" that the BBC never had the stones to explore anyway has been finally and definitively shelved.

- Jo Martin's groundbreaking future Doctor made a stern and showstopping cameo herself. I really hope we get to see more of her, she seems to be quite the badass.

- The Former Companion Support Group at the end was heartwarming, though sadly missing a lot of contemporary members. Equally sad is that Ryan (Tosin Cole) truly appears to be done with the show as there was not even the barest glimmer of acknowledgement of him there. (Am I the only one who got queasy reminders of Love and Monsters?)

- As predicted, the Timeless Child nonsense went absolutely nowhere, and the Flux stuff may as well not have even happened. Chibnall...

All in all, I'd give it an 8/10. Not at all perfect, but absolutely Shakespeare compared to Chibnall's usual writing, and I chalk that up to RTD very likely having proofread the script.

Spoiler: Regen & Speculations
    Show
    So the 10th Doctor, David Tennant, is back - alongside Russell T Davies. Presumably to wash the bad taste (again, not Jodie's fault) out of the fanbase's mouth with a special or two before handing the reins over to Ncuti Gatwa to step in as the 14th(?) Doctor. If the rumors are to be believed, RTD's first order of business seems to be a redemption of sorts for the storyline of the most popular companion in the modern show's run, one miss Donna Noble.

Ultimately, I'm excited for the franchise for the first time in a while, and this was definitely an upswing from Flux's mess of a script.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Power of the Doctor (Who) - Goodbye Chibnall

Dat ending, tho!

I am excite.

Having stopped following any Doctor Who social media awhile back (due to spoilers, mostly), I was pleasantly surprised by the many previous Doctor and previous companion cameos.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Herein be spoilers for Jodie Whittaker's final(?) outing as the 13th Doctor - in my opinion, easily her best episode, and quite a fitting sendoff:
    Agree, they finally made an episode that hit some of the right notes. Maybe too many of them all at once, though.

Spoiler
    Show
    - Jo Martin's groundbreaking future Doctor
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought the whole point was that she was a past Doctor, not a future one? Absolutely with you on wanting more of her, though.

All in all, I'd give it an 8/10. Not at all perfect, but absolutely Shakespeare compared to Chibnall's usual writing, and I chalk that up to RTD very likely having proofread the script.
    I don't know about that. Maybe it's just nostalgia and being strongly influenced by The Writer's Tale, but I got the feeling that if RTD had proofread it there might have been more explanation of why it all happened like it did.
    Spoiler: Regen & Speculations
    Show
    So the 10th Doctor, David Tennant, is back - alongside Russell T Davies. Presumably to wash the bad taste (again, not Jodie's fault) out of the fanbase's mouth with a special or two before handing the reins over to Ncuti Gatwa to step in as the 14th(?) Doctor.
    There's an official announcement now:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ncuti Gatwa is now the fifteenth Doctor. David Tennant is now somehow the fourteenth.

Ultimately, I'm excited for the franchise for the first time in a while, and this was definitely an upswing from Flux's mess of a script.
    BTW, thanks for making the thread! I was wondering if we should have one. It might die again before we get the next specials (apparently for November 2023) but oh well.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for all the spoilers, literally. I don’t want to know all the details because I desperately need to catch up. I haven’t seen any of her doctor and I only got through about 30% of Capaldi.

Too much going on in real life. I need to sort out my priorities.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post
    Thanks for all the spoilers, literally. I don’t want to know all the details because I desperately need to catch up. I haven’t seen any of her doctor and I only got through about 30% of Capaldi.

Too much going on in real life. I need to sort out my priorities.
    HBO Max has all of Capaldi's run as well as all of Jodie's up through Flux if you're looking to get caught up.

Note however that you don't need to have seen any of Flux to understand what's going on in PotD. The one truly good part of Flux (new companion Dan) is barely in this latest special.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I read earlier today that Doctor Who will be coming to Disney+ next year. Not sure if it will just be new episodes or if some older ones will become available too, but it makes me happy because BBC America's crappy website has caused me to miss a lot of what came out in the last year.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    I read earlier today that Doctor Who will be coming to Disney+ next year. Not sure if it will just be new episodes or if some older ones will become available too, but it makes me happy because BBC America's crappy website has caused me to miss a lot of what came out in the last year.
    Interesting. I wonder how much of it will be included in the licence.

Also, from what we can see in the teaser trailer,

Spoiler: spoilers for teaser trailer plus extensive publicity about casting
    Show
    that would mean RTD is taking the exact opposite approach to the potential new audience to what he did in 2005.

"Rose": everygirl companion POV, meet the Doctor, sprinkle in the backstory gradually, starting with Easter eggs, then dialogue, finally progressing to plot events - iirc there weren't even clips from the old show included until "The Eleventh Hour". From my DVD set, the original teasers for the 2005 series were "what did Rose just get herself into" and "Hi, I'm the Doctor. Come with me". Basically, new show, with bonuses for those who knew it wasn't.

Teaser trailer for 2023: Ten now becomes Fourteen, glimpse of Eleven(!), Donna, all the backstory front and centre, I'm assuming a focus on regeneration, and I'm guessing it might be from the POV of Ncuti's doctor (now confirmed as Fifteen). Edit: not Eleven, I saw the bowtie and top hat and assumed, silly me. Neil Patrick Harris's character, has it been officially confirmed who that is yet? RTD did say there would be puppets...

And a new Rose? Who knows where she comes in.

Edit: I just discovered that this means Doctor Who will no longer air on free-to-air TV in Australia.

Yes, we've been spoilt by having a government-backed public broadcaster (ABC) and being a former colony of a country which also has a government-backed public broadcaster (BBC), who had an arrangement. No, this doesn't affect me personally. But I'm still kind of sad for those who will now be missing out. While at the same time acknowledging that artists have to be paid and the BBC wants more out of Doctor Who than just merchandise sales.
    Last edited by theangelJean; 2022-10-25 at 10:32 PM. Reason: I would make a terrible TV editor - I keep thinking of new things to add in...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I read earlier today that Doctor Who will be coming to Disney+ next year.
    I’m game.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

9. - Top - End - #9

I'm very hopeful that it means the new episodes will be simulcast there, and the nature of the news (on the official Doctor Who Instagram account) suggests it will be, since otherwise it would be functionally no different than the current episodes lagging on HBO Max i.e. not a big deal. Disney's deep pockets should mean that licensing won't be an issue.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    Edit: I just discovered that this means Doctor Who will no longer air on free-to-air TV in Australia.

Yes, we've been spoilt by having a government-backed public broadcaster (ABC) and being a former colony of a country which also has a government-backed public broadcaster (BBC), who had an arrangement. No, this doesn't affect me personally. But I'm still kind of sad for those who will now be missing out. While at the same time acknowledging that artists have to be paid and the BBC wants more out of Doctor Who than just merchandise sales.
    I agree with you that that is a real shame, I am currently enjoying listening to the cricket on the ABC coverage that is being broadcast by BBC radio.

However, I think that Dr Who is one of the bits of the BBC not made by the public-funded part of the BBC, but by BBC worldwide which doesn't get any public money but has to earn it's way.
    (The public-funded part of the BBC operates under a lot of restrictions, but discussing them is [Politics]. I assume the non-public funded operates under some extra restrictions but I don't know the details, just that it is a lot freer in what it can do.)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post

Spoiler: spoilers for teaser trailer plus extensive publicity about casting
    Show
    , glimpse of Eleven(!),.
    I’m must be blind, have ya got a time stamp/screenshot?
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    I agree with you that that is a real shame, I am currently enjoying listening to the cricket on the ABC coverage that is being broadcast by BBC radio.

However, I think that Dr Who is one of the bits of the BBC not made by the public-funded part of the BBC, but by BBC worldwide which doesn't get any public money but has to earn it's way.
    (The public-funded part of the BBC operates under a lot of restrictions, but discussing them is [Politics]. I assume the non-public funded operates under some extra restrictions but I don't know the details, just that it is a lot freer in what it can do.)
    As I understand it, the 2005 series was originally made by BBC Cymru (BBC Wales) and then syndicated by BBC Worldwide. But production funding has changed over the years, and I think part of the arrangement with RTD was conditional on the show being produced by his and Julie Gardner's own production company.

That's the main reason I'm excited - because hopefully it will mean much tighter script editing (in exchange for actor frustration with last minute script delivery). But I guess that also brings changes to the ownership and broadcast rights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    I’m must be blind, have ya got a time stamp/screenshot?
    Nope, I was mistaken!

Spoiler
    Show
    It's not Eleven after all, it's Neil Patrick Harris in a top hat, bowtie, tails and a cane. Sorry I wasn't clear enough in my edit.
    Last edited by theangelJean; 2022-10-26 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Consolidate double post oops

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Well I didn't see that coming! (I mean, there were a ton of leaks from set, so I did, but I still enjoyed how they did it.)

Herein be spoilers for Jodie Whittaker's final(?) outing as the 13th Doctor - in my opinion, easily her best episode, and quite a fitting sendoff
    I've only seen Whittaker's first season, and really enjoyed her performance even if the writing became so hard to choke down that it finally derailed my interest in the franchise. I would love to watch her "best episode" as you put it, because if RTD is back then I think I'm finally back on the Doctor Who train and I'd love to send her off in my memories on a high note.

Will I be able to watch her finale without the knowledge of the past however many years I've missed?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    I've only seen Whittaker's first season, and really enjoyed her performance even if the writing became so hard to choke down that it finally derailed my interest in the franchise. I would love to watch her "best episode" as you put it, because if RTD is back then I think I'm finally back on the Doctor Who train and I'd love to send her off in my memories on a high note.

Will I be able to watch her finale without the knowledge of the past however many years I've missed?
    Speaking as someone who missed most of everything that came out in the last year...

As someone earlier said, the newest companion, Dan from last years' Flux mini-series, is only around for a little while and it's not really required to have watched it. There was also another guy who shows up in a space ship mid-episode and I'm not sure what episode he previously appeared in, but his existence seemed self-explanatory enough for me.

If you haven't seen Jodie's second season, you've missed the new incarnation of The Master and a plot development with the Cybermen that's a little bit more relevant to what's happening, though.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Goodbye Chibnall (and good riddance?)

Now that he's gone I might start watching again. Not that I'm in love with RTD either, but I was able to sit through all of his run even if I did roll me eyes occasionally.

I wonder if Whittaker will go down in Who history as one of the Doctors who was let down by her production team and scriptwriters, rather like Davison*, Colin Baker, and to a lesser extent McCoy.

*Yes, ok, Davison's run did also include the best Who serial of all time. But there were also some absolute disasters in there and I found myself frustrated watching so many of them, because it was obvious he could do so much better than the material usually allowed him to be.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Definitely. As I mentioned, absolutely nothing Chibnall set up in the prior three seasons paid off here.

There are... two characters (hint: both POC) you may be wondering about when they show up in this episode to help save the day if you haven't seen them prior, but their presence is pretty self-explanatory all the same.

If you haven't seen Jodie's second season, you've missed the new incarnation of The Master and a plot development with the Cybermen that's a little bit more relevant to what's happening, though.
    All you really need to know about the Cybermen here is that the Master upgraded them. The how, why and other implications are fairly straightforward in the episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Goodbye Chibnall (and good riddance?)
    That was indeed my implication

I wonder if Whittaker will go down in Who history as one of the Doctors who was let down by her production team and scriptwriters, rather like Davison*, Colin Baker, and to a lesser extent McCoy.
    I guarantee she will, just as I can all but guarantee Chibnall will be kept far away from the property for the foreseeable future. Even the folks I've seen wrongly blaming Jodie for the run have not been favorable to Chibnall either.

*Yes, ok, Davison's run did also include the best Who serial of all time. But there were also some absolute disasters in there and I found myself frustrated watching so many of them, because it was obvious he could do so much better than the material usually allowed him to be.
    As I mentioned, he shows up in this special and it's a pretty touching scene, so if you enjoyed his Doctor I recommend giving the episode a watch.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

As I mentioned, he shows up in this special and it's a pretty touching scene, so if you enjoyed his Doctor I recommend giving the episode a watch.
    The Fifth Doctor is pretty much my favourite*, so I'll check it out.

*With one giant Capaldi-shaped caveat: that caveat being that (similarly to Timothy Dalton as Bond) while on the one hand he's just obviously the best, on the other hand his performance/portrayal/characterisation is so different to the others that the comparison doesn't really seem fair.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, finally watched it. Pretty good overall, in no small part because it was the first time in a long time DW has been this fun. this isn't so much a compliment to the episode as it is a complaint about the recent series.
    It had a nice pace, a suitably epic scope and nice acknowledgement of the classic Doctors (unlike the 50th special).
    Spoiler
    Show
    This last iteration of the Master continues to be as uninteresting as possible. "Oh look how crazy he is, what's he going to do next"? I miss Gomez. I get the character isn't exactly sane, but what was the deal with 1916? In theory the Master taking over the Doctor's very body should be great but, it didn't go anywhere? And if you meant to ruin her reputation, how's it going to work if you don't look anything like her? I fell there's a missed opportunity of having Whittaker play the Master and Dhawan play the Doctor for a short while there. The CyberMasters are just as pointless as they were in their introduction. Cybermen who stand back up when you shoot them are apparently an upgrade over Cybermen who didn't fall down (yes future-weapons can kill cybermen, but it's not like anyone was forcing writers to have those in their stories). Also, the Master cloned Ashad, and gave him the sexact same partial conversion and damaged armor as he had before. Except that Ashad is now just the Master's lackey without his original goals. Why can't the Cybermen ever be their own villains anymore? Not a complaint, but was the "new moon" meant to be Mondas? Still the Master taunting Teagan and Ace was a "nice" moment (especailly bringing up aunt Vanessa, someone who was kind of completely forgotten in Teagan's original run). And his smuggling Cybermen into UNIT through a bigger-on-the-inside doll was clever.

The Dalek traitor was an interesting concept (as are almost all the variations on the "good dalek" concept) that's not used at all. Also, gotta love how three daleks are now enough to capture the Doctor when in any other episode, she's have just run away. How are the Daleks and Cybermen supposed to both take over Earth at the same time?

How did Graham end up in a volcano in Bolivia?

Kate was great as usual.

The Doctor's A.I. copy was a clever way to turn this into a multi-Doctor story. Seeing Five and Teagan as well as sEven and ace together again was something. "Who am I thinking about looking at the people who murdered our friend? -Our friend they murdered" is a bit of an easy "how well do you remember me" question, but the Doctor remembering Adric is still emotionnal. Five telling "Braveheart" to Teagan really got me too. And of course Ace got to beat up a Dalek with her souped-up batte again!

Vinder briefly showing up was nice. he's my favourite Chibnall creation (tied with Karvanista) a,nd one of the very few good things out of flux.

I'm still surprised that someone who clearly knows and likes the classic series as much as Chibnall obviously does decided to blow up Gallifrey again. Just, why?

The Companion anonymous meeting at the end was great. 98-year old William Russel for the win! I wonder if the empty chair was for Barbara.

Bringing Tennant back to try to regain interest by appealing to season 2-4 nostalgia. I'm not sure how much of a favor that is to Gatwa. In any case, a Revival Doctor finally had the good sense to regenerate outside of the TARDIS. And it was a beautiful shot.

Whittaker deserved so much better, I swear. She did her very best.

ok, Davison's run did also include the best Who serial of all time.
    And which one is that supposed to be?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I guarantee she will, just as I can all but guarantee Chibnall will be kept far away from the property for the foreseeable future. Even the folks I've seen wrongly blaming Jodie for the run have not been favorable to Chibnall either.
    Seems like it - my friend who is a absolute Who fanatic thinks Jodi was the Worst Doctor Of All Time, and also thinks Chibnall was still the Worst Director Of All Time.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    And which one is that supposed to be?
    Caves of Androzani typically tops lists of best episodes (or at least of classic ones).

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    and also thinks Chibnall was still the Worst Director Of All Time.
    Well that's probably true, given he isn't a director
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Caves of Androzani typically tops lists of best episodes (or at least of classic ones).
    Androzani is excellent, I must admit.
    Forum Wisdom

22. - Top - End - #22
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Well that's probably true, given he isn't a director
    Showrunner, chief writer, Supreme Mugwump, whatever you call the guy in charge. I barely watch American TV, let alone British TV.

23. - Top - End - #23

I don't completely fault those who have a problem with Jodie for thinking that she is to blame. Separating a headline character from the quality of their writing is difficult in a lot of shows, and it's particularly challenging for the Doctor, who often has to ride an impossible line between hero, villain, genius, idiot, old, young, alien, human, and any number of other contradictions that would rip lesser protagonists to pieces. It's not easy in other words, but very few people are in as good a position as the Doctor themselves to let the writers know what isn't working. We have no way of knowing whether Jodie did her best to convey that or not (or even whether she noticed), all we can judge is the result.

I follow several WhoTubers who have done insightful postmortems on Chibnall's run as well as predictions of what is to come, and here are a couple of my favorites: Why Chibnall Didn't Work (The Doctor) by JackWolf, which talks about specific examples of where Jodie's inconsistencies held the show back, and The Real Reason David Tennant is back by Joe Brennan which peeks behind the curtain to some of the show's production woes.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2022-11-07 at 01:59 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Just watched special.

What.

What?

WHAT?

(Actual reaction, very nearly in synch.)

Personally, I thought that was one of the better ones, actually. I wouldn't have been upset if that had been the 60th.

Spoiler
    Show
    Daleks, Cybermen AND the Master (who is freaking GREAT, he such a complete [excrement]; best Master since Simms).

(Granted, I am easy to please, since the inclusion of any one of the above generally leaves me happy.)

All the old cast returning.

And especially ACE! And I can tell Sophie Aldred has been continously playing Ace for years in the audio dramas, because, while I haven't actually listened to any of them myself, she was freaking seemless. And the leather jacket still suits her - better than the suit, actually. Props. And she's still beating up Daleks with her +5 Collision Bat of Dalek Slaying. Frack yeah.

(Yes, Tegan was great too, but Ace was my favorite pre-revivial companion.)

After the 50th, it was also nice to see Five, Six, Seven and Eight (and One!) have their returns as well - in the show proper as opposed the utterly delightful 50th paraody-thingy. (I mean, they've ALSO never stopped being the Doctor with the audio plays...!)

Chibnill's run started out VERY rocky and I think the first season was a bit of a blunder, no question. I think the biggest sin of the era was that it needed to have knocked it out of the park against the inevitable resistance of a female Doctor, and it didn't, because of that initial run. After that, it was to some extent playing damage control. It wasn't even the Doctor and the companions, who were all fine to above average (Yaz is a very solid companion, actually). The lack of familiar villains and historical=slash-thing-of-the-week just didn't interest me and I gave up after the second episode. I knew that it had failed for me when the teaser at the end of the first episode was "look which actors are in it" instead of "look at the exciting plots." (In fairness, I didn't start watching every episode of Nine onwards until Eleven, as I skipped a few of Nine and Ten's monster-of-the-week episodes, and Ten is my second favourite.)

But the first special with the Dalek was fine, and the rest of the stuff since has been good to great. Little contraversial with the timeless child thing (I think it made the Doctor a bit too special), but the build-up to that was good. But that's always a problem with mysteries, sometimes the answer can never be as compelling as the question.

But it went out on a high note.

I knew the Doctor was going to regenerate and they have, I believe cast a black gentleman (I think I haven't been paying close enough attention and I figured I might as well be pleasantly surprised), but I had missed (and Mum kept... mum about it) Tennant (or totally forgotten if I ever knew) and I was thus expecting the new doctor and... Well. THAT was a complete surprise. (And very welcome!)

Will be interesting to see where we go from here.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    best Master since Simms
    I still think Missy has him beat honestly, but only just. Gomez added layers to the Master that I really enjoyed, and elevated the character beyond mustache-twirling omnicidal maniac and tragic patsy of the other TLs to someone with true agency and goals of her own. Simm and Dawan had great energy, but no real endgame beyond "teh evulz."

Was she also the only Master who took on Davros? I genuinely don't know, but that scene was *chefs kiss*

And she's still beating up Daleks with her +5 Collision Bat of Dalek Slaying. Frack yeah.
    That was indeed amazing. And I could tell she had Graham smitten from the first swing

I knew the Doctor was going to regenerate and they have, I believe cast a black gentleman (I think I haven't been paying close enough attention and I figured I might as well be pleasantly surprised), but I had missed (and Mum kept... mum about it) Tennant (or totally forgotten if I ever knew) and I was thus expecting the new doctor and... Well. THAT was a complete surprise. (And very welcome!)
    Ncuti Gatwa (roughly pronounced "in-shooty.") And he's currently filming the Barbie movie, so I'm going to have to go see that now, along with maybe giving his previous show, Sex Education, a go.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2022-11-09 at 12:14 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Was she also the only Master who took on Davros? I genuinely don't know, but that scene was *chefs kiss*
    How much stock do you put in the audios? They have Jacobi getting rid of a pre accident Davros and replacing him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Well I was going to watch it, but discovering one thing stopped me.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, let's sideline the first black actor to play the Doctor and give the celebratory specials to a white man. Who, as I remember, played the worst incarnation of the Doctor by far.

I was really excited to see Gatwa in the role, guess I'll have to wait until 2024 before getting back into the show.

...I should really finish off Classic Who. But Tom Baker's era really drags on the longer it gets.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, let's sideline the first black actor to play the Doctor and give the celebratory specials to a white man. Who, as I remember, played the worst incarnation of the Doctor by far.

I was really excited to see Gatwa in the role, guess I'll have to wait until 2024 before getting back into the show.

...I should really finish off Classic Who. But Tom Baker's era really drags on the longer it gets.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Apparently Gatwa was the one who couldn't make it as he will busy filming a movie. Also, while an anniversary episode would be a good way to end an actor's run, it would be kind of awkward for a beginning since the new Doctor wouldn't have an established personality to contrast with the guest characters and would likely end up overshadowed.

Also, also Gatwa does appear in the "next time" trailer, looking confused, so who knows what's going on.
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #29

How much stock do you put in the audios? They have Jacobi getting rid of a pre accident Davros and replacing him.
    I hardly know anything about them, and the few I have looked into ended up with disputed canonicity so I haven't bothered getting too invested. (Even the event you mention, if canon, ends up with a mild conflict as Missy implies she's meeting Davros in person for the first time.)

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post

Spoiler
    Show

As Fyraltari mentioned, it's not Davies' fault, Ncuti has scheduling conflicts. Our choices therefore would be no Doctor Who for a year, or someone else for a couple of specials, and that someone else would out of necessity be a familiar face.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I hardly know anything about them, and the few I have looked into ended up with disputed canonicity so I haven't bothered getting too invested. (Even the event you mention, if canon, ends up with a mild conflict as Missy implies she's meeting Davros in person for the first time.)
    Trying to establish canon in Doctor Who is a fruitless endeavour. Not only is it huge and self-contradictory but it deals with parallel universes and time paradox. I recommend Davis' Broke Canon series to quickly undesrtand why it's better to just roll with it and not bother trying.

If we stick to the televised show, Missy is indeed the first incarnation to meet or even acknowledge Davros. The classic series wasn't nearly as fond of villainous team-ups, so we're only shown two interactions between the Master and Daleks in total. The Delgado Master was revealed to be working for them in his last appearance and a Master (likely meant to be the Ainley Master, but portrayed by another actor so you make the call) was exterminated by them in the beginning of the movie.

Edit: if we consider comics, novels, audio dramas and other derived media, I'm confident all of them habe tangled with Davros in some form or other at least once.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-11-09 at 09:39 AM.