New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: random: tell me a videogame you're enjoying right now

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    I will leave, but in a bit. Right now it’s good for farming cheevos.
    Man, I just got a mental image of a big midwestern wheat field, but where the tops of the wheat stalks are replaced by Cheetos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm currently over halfway through Fuga: Melodies of Steel, have managed to avoid any traumatic losses yet, and I'm hooked enough that I'm almost certainly going to play the rest of the trilogy as they release. I also happened to find out that there have been several other games in this setting over the years, went looking into it so I could find out more about the world without spoiling Fuga for myself... and wait, this setting started with freaking Tail Concerto!? That game led to the heart-wrenching war story, Fuga? My brain hasn't been thrown off track this hard for a while.

Playing Dead by Daylight. Haven't gotten too infuriated yet. Expect to happen soon.
    Now that the DBD devs have mostly killed my interest in their game after the years I put in, I'm very glad the new Evil Dead game is free this week, and have picked that up. Fun as heck so far, but also tough... way more technique to it than DBD, but that's a low enough bar that it's kind of a decorative inlay in the floor. Also caved to a friend's pestering and tried out Video Horror Society during the Halloween event, and found it much more fun than I expected. Neither of them is grabbing me the way Last Year: Afterdark did, but since we can't play that one any longer, I'll take what I can get.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Battletech by HBS with the BTA modpack installed. There's about to be a big pack update but it's already a lot of fun.

Oddly enough I've reached the point where I'm enjoying Fallout 4 for the game if not the story.

And of course building and exploding stuff in Space Engineers is still fun. Sometimes there are even enemies involved in the explosions.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVid View Post
    Now that the DBD devs have mostly killed my interest in their game after the years I put in, I'm very glad the new Evil Dead game is free this week, and have picked that up. Fun as heck so far, but also tough... way more technique to it than DBD, but that's a low enough bar that it's kind of a decorative inlay in the floor.
    I actually played Evil Dead first, then tried DBD at Halloween. Evil Dead puts a lot more emphasis on teamwork, as a strong group of players that sticks together is basically impossible for the Demon to beat.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2022-11-22 at 11:50 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

I actually played Evil Dead first, then tried DBD at Halloween. Evil Dead puts a lot more emphasis on teamwork, as a strong group of players that sticks together is basically impossible for the Demon to beat.
    I have seen Evil Dead gameplay and it looks infinitely more fin than Dead by Daylight. They just released a new DLC today featuring “The Knight”, a clunky mess of a killer that, nobody’s surprise, has disappointed the community even more.

If I had to give the game one redeeming quality is the cosmetics. The art department really goes all out for the survivor & killer looks.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

I've really been enjoying Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising this week. For those not familiar, it's a 2D Metroidvania-esque tie-in game for Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes, which is coming out next year and being billed as a spiritual successor to the Suikoden JRPG series.

The gameplay isn't particularly deep, but there are a few neat things about it. You have three characters and you can switch seamlessly back and forth between them as you fight. I like the way you build up your hub town as you progress through story and side quests; it's not only reminiscent of Suikoden in that respect but it does a great job of making me feel invested in the town itself and the story. The story isn't Shakespeare by any means, but it's decent enough and even had a couple of twists and red herrings that fooled me. For a $15 game it's been well worth the price of admission for me, and it's definitely got me more excited for Hundred Heroes when that drops next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Pacifist run of Factorio.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Warning: It’s not me, but my 4-year-old has just recently gotten into games.

She’s abysmal at Rocket League but is in love with the car she made (with some navigational assistance). She has figured out how to run Overcooked, but consistently catches the place on fire and will ask me or my wife to put the fire out because she’s not yet proficient with the fire extinguisher. One could argue, by the name of the game, that she plays it the most accurate. Her favorite game though, is Sonic Mania. She’s quite good, just very slow, and her favorite is Tails. She’s played through the first level about 894,000 times, doesn’t like the second level because there’s water. Every once in a while she’ll get stuck briefly and request my 2 seconds of help, then proceed to talk me through how to do various other parts.

It’s adorable and I’m so proud!
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

9. - Top - End - #39
    Firbolg in the Playground

Heat Signature, it's about space pirates and heisting
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Actually lately my jam has been Mega Man fan games, following my girlfriend sharing a video of a game which is not yet out but does look like precisely my thing. One thing led to another and now I've got a whole little mine of good fangames to dive into. The down side is that most of them are a bit too enamored of the 8-bit Classic aesthetic; the up side is that most of them are using that as an aesthetic decision instead of mucking up series designs like Mega Man 9 and 10.
    "But it always seemed weird to me to get mad about things going wrong, as if everything turning out OK was promised to anyone, ever. There wouldn't need to be paladins if the world was, like, fair." -Lien

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Howard Johnson Dame_Mechanus is right
    I get to be a favorite today!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post
    Warning: It’s not me, but my 4-year-old has just recently gotten into games.
    My 7 year old has gotten into Roblox. Gotta fight him for my computer, these days.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    My 7 year old has gotten into Roblox. Gotta fight him for my computer, these days.
    Pretty sure my 9y/o has put more time on my steam deck than me at this point XD. Helps that she's hooked on narrative/puzzle games (Portal, Stanley Parable and the like).
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

I was a gamer from as early as 5. It was a Game Boy with Duck Tales were I repeatedly died to the first spike pit since my mom didn't read the instruction manual to me, so I did not know the Pogo jump was a thing. That being said, I hope you limit his screen time somewhat. I have developed some nasty habits from being able to game all day everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Pretty sure my 9y/o has put more time on my steam deck than me at this point XD. Helps that she's hooked on narrative/puzzle games (Portal, Stanley Parable and the like).
    Is the thing still chugging away battery life like its nothing? I was absolutely thinking about getting one (mainly to play Baldurs Gate at work) but the battery life is a bit dissuading me. Yes I know there is BG on the switch, but with my gaming habits it might be cheaper to access my Steam library than buy every game for Switch again.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Is the thing still chugging away battery life like its nothing? I was absolutely thinking about getting one (mainly to play Baldurs Gate at work) but the battery life is a bit dissuading me. Yes I know there is BG on the switch, but with my gaming habits it might be cheaper to access my Steam library than buy every game for Switch again.
    Mine seems to last 4-6 hours before needing charging (depending on games being played), and that's without messing with any of the settings. I've seen some threads where people have gotten it up towards 8+ hours, but it seems to require a decent amount of mucking around in the settings. Might eventually get around to optimizing things, but right now my trend of working through my backlog of Metroidvanians, Visual Novels, and 16bit RPGs doesn't really need it.
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

The commercial version of Dwarf Fortress released yesterday. It is everything we hoped it would be.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Fortunately, she’s on PS4 so I still have access to my PC during game-time. Been thinking about getting her used to the switch instead so she’s not also occupying the tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    I've seen some threads where people have gotten it up towards 8+ hours, but it seems to require a decent amount of mucking around in the settings.
    Every time I get any new device it’s a multi-hour ritual for me to go through all the settings and adjust everything to improve performance (or at least I like to think so). That’s oddly one of my favorite parts about getting a new toy.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    The commercial version of Dwarf Fortress released yesterday. It is everything we hoped it would be.
    If I wasn't already in the middle of a number of longwinded games I'd be hours deep into this (and sleep deprived). Likely won't pick it up till early spring sadly.

My current go-to chill/mindless game is Vampire Survivors. Its essentially a roguelike game of dodge ball, and stupidly fun. If you've played Crimsonland, its sorta similar in the topdown view and loads of enemies, but you have no active control over your skills/abilities. Despite the lack of control on when abilities trigger, choosing which abilities to go with is surprisingly complex.

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    does it differ from the free version? and if so, how?
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2022-12-08 at 01:10 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    does it differ from the free version? and if so, how?
    The most fundamental difference is that it has graphics.
    =====

20. - Top - End - #50

That UI looks good, but those main screen graphics arguably look worse than the old graphics; they're like something out of an RPG Maker game

Omegaupdate Forum

21. - Top - End - #51
    Colossus in the Playground

How's the interface? It seems to have one now, other than "semi-random keyboard layout". That one was my main problem with the game however many years ago I first looked at it: going online and finding out you need to press Shift+V to bring up the Nobility menu, or whatever.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

There's a few rough patches and bugs, as you'd expect from such a major overhaul. For the most part it is pretty easy to use, unless you've been playing the original game for a long time and have to fight muscle memory.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    How's the interface? It seems to have one now, other than "semi-random keyboard layout". That one was my main problem with the game however many years ago I first looked at it: going online and finding out you need to press Shift+V to bring up the Nobility menu, or whatever.
    Two words: Mouse. Support.
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

I was a bit worried about how incomplete Darktide felt at release... but I've been totally addicted to it anyway. If it's this much fun when it's clearly only partly ready, I can't even guess how amazing it'll be when it's had as much support as Vermintide.
    =====

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I've gotten back into Burnout Paradise. Forgot how much I loved this game. Sadly the Diamond P12 is on my 360, which is a shame - it was such a great flex car.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

26. - Top - End - #56

Can the graphics be toggled? One of the things I always liked about Dwarf Fortress was that it kind of looked like the Matrix.

Omegaupdate Forum

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Can the graphics be toggled? One of the things I always liked about Dwarf Fortress was that it kind of looked like the Matrix.
    Not that I've found. But the original graphics-free version is still out there (and will continue to be developed, from what I've read).
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Two words: Mouse. Support.
    Also for building?

If yes, I'm in. Dragging rooms and corridors with the mouse would be a huge improvement.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes. The entire interface is now mouse-driven, with WASD scrolling.

30. - Top - End - #60

I've been playing Orion Trail, which is a Star Trek themed parody of Oregon Trail and that general genre of games
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2022-12-19 at 03:35 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum