New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: The Power of One - A WFRP2e Solo Experience (OOC)

You can dance if you want to, you can leave your friends behind...

Agility: (1d100)[2] vs TN 72.

She was the Daaaaancing Queen, only seventeen...
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-12-23 at 07:05 AM.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Oh and another thing, how were the haggling for those items listed last lage during this festival time?
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

We will get to those after this loose end! But you'll have a chance to see what you can sell "tomorrow!"

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Groovy.

Sorry about the...less detailed post, but I just got back from the city and the fiance is wanting to go to bed.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Ugh; fiances are the worst. *Eyeroll* More posts tomorrow!

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I was thinking of ways to add to the closing of the scene, but it seems wrapped up really nicely - anything I'd add is just superfluous!

I think Taalia will have warmed up to Bella considerably more, having once hated he rbut now coming to realyl like her, even looking up to her a little bit. While she'll take to Diletta the way she has with Vitorio - talking to her, empathising a lot with her not growing up with a mother (as Taalia didn't either), and will get her her food of choice at the market.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Yo MrAbdiel, I hope you had a great Christmas and Boxing Day!

I am full of ham, beef wellington and whiskey two days in a row now, and am getting back to things.

I was settling in after a day out of boxing day sales, and fantasy sales crossed my mind! I had some fun thinking of a couple of outlays. It also helps if I as a player give you an idea of what I was thinking for her next 6 months .

Spoiler
    Show

Funds:
    Medium is passed Haggle roll to sell for listed price, 'low' to settle for 50%.

General sales: 28g medium, 14gold low, the censure she found in the troll cave added.

Telescope: 100g medium, 50g low

Book:
    What type? Guess is Illuminated due to hand-made inking, poor quality due to damage: 175g medium, 87.5g low. She'll also ask Polo to make a copy of what's left if he can, translate into Tilean.

+10gc from the troll guts

= 161gc, 50 silver to 313gc

That's assumption of items quality as common. eg, telescope could be 'good' quality, thus worth 300gold medium or 150 low.

Low Gold Plan:
    - Full Leather Suit - 20g
    - Spear - 10g
    - Bow - 10g
    -- 50 arrows - 10 silver

= 120gc and 10 silver left.

Rent 3 acres of common rural land adjacent to Gaulferdo - 27gc
    Rent/build rural hovel (materials/hiring labour) - 22.5gc

Build fencing around acres, build pig pen and small barn for sheep - 25gc

- 8 sows + 1 boar = 27gc
    - 8gc to Madre to pay her off = 8gc
    - 5 more sheep = 10gc

1gc left, keep just in case
    She'll owe 31gc a year rent.

313gc

- Full Leather Suit - 20g
    - Full Studded leather armor - 90gc
    - Spear - 10g
    - Sword - 10g
    - Shield - 10g
    - Bow - 10g
    -- 50 arrows - 10 silver

Rent 4 acres of common rural land adjacent to Gaulferdo - 36gc

Build fence around the acres, "rent" a homestead on the acres which doubles as barn/pig pen - 50gc (23gc 'rent' each year for homestead)
    - expanded small barn/pig pen extension - 10gc.
    - misc household items to make it liveable - 10gc.

Rent/build rural hovel (materials/hiring labour) - 22.5gc

Build fencing around acres, build pig pen and medium barn for sheep - 30gc

Edit: On second thought, a 'Homestead', perhaps even a 'Rural House' is a year or so away for her. She's happy sleeping in the Barn atm with her makeshft quarters. She was a slave for 10 years to the Skaven, such furnishings are luxury to her anyway, so she'll live frugally for the first year while building that wealth-generation.

- 8 sows + 1 boar = 27gc
    - 8gc to Madre to pay her off = 8gc
    - 14 more sheep = 28gc

= 11gc left over.
    She'll owe 40gc a year rent.

The highest earning/costs ratio is the "low gold" plan, but the "high gold" plan is more laying solis foundations for the long term, plus it makes her more combat worthy with 3AP all over and more weapons to fill her rolw in the local militia etc.

Though the low cost plan might even be preferable, even if she gets high gold for her items, because it's a good base to build from.

Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-12-26 at 09:11 PM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Just playing around:

10 sheep # of total lambs, 1-2 lambs each, so roll a D2 each: (1D2)[2]

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Lamb rolls: (10D2)[15]

So hypothetically, 10 sheep produce 15 lambs. Now you've got 10 ewes, 1 ram and 15 lambs.

Shear 11 sheep, sell 6 lambs this year, flock expands to 19 ewes for next year lambing and fleece season season, and soll 19D2 for lambs next year.

Assumedly making Haggle rolls (go fate points!) tahts (11*7.5gc) + (6*2gc) = 94.5gc

Then 4gc and 19silver from making cheese and improving the Gaulfredo household for those 18 weeks.

6 months of selling her eggs for 8silver and 8 pennies every two weeks is 5 gold and 4 silver.

So in total the 6 months is 104 gold and 13 silver for that 6 months. That's the fleecing, selling surplus lambs and eggs and cheese. Assumedly.

Her second 6 months won't have fleece or lambs or cheese. But it will have eggs and, presumably, a litter of piglets from each sow. She can kill a few piglets to keep up the Good quality food for her and Gaulfredo household. But she'll need to make larger-town/city slaughter house contacts to sell those piglets off in bulk for meat. She'll have the acreage to be able to get them to mature to large enough size for bacon but she can't keep them all.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-12-26 at 06:51 PM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Ahahaha, there is no restraining your hunger for projected gains. Sigma grindset Taalia; always striving for additional lambs, not listening to detractors.

Last immediate things before the long timescan is the sales of what can be sold, and the hiring of dudes to shovel troll poo. I'll do a post for those now.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Haha yeah that's me, the nerd with an over-active imagination .

The Troll Slaying is a cool bit of luck by the dice though, the type of story that gets around. Perhaps it drew Khorne's attention, or that of a Von Carstein or Blood Dragon who decides to watch, or some Merc Company or witch etc. It's a cool rep/story to have about!

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Aww, no 175gc Poor Quality Illuminated Book /sad-face

So, looks like about 9gc total atm from sales, unless one wants to wait.

The question is: what about the telescope?

That's potentially 100gc if we make the haggle roll (more if it's good or higher quality), with which we can rent an acre and start the small pig farm and buy a few more sheep.

A trip to Verezo is doubtless in the future, as she'll need to plan ahead and make contacts as to where she can send the future piglets/young pigs for gold.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by BananaPhone View Post
    Aww, no 175gc Poor Quality Illuminated Book /sad-face

So, looks like about 9gc total atm from sales, unless one wants to wait.

The question is: what about the telescope?

That's potentially 100gc if we make the haggle roll (more if it's good or higher quality), with which we can rent an acre and start the small pig farm and buy a few more sheep.

A trip to Verezo is doubtless in the future, as she'll need to plan ahead and make contacts as to where she can send the future piglets/young pigs for gold.
    Telescope's definately a sell-in-town/city type situation. And you promised Signore Cestie you wouldn't hock it until he had taken you hiking, so there's that!

Your egg sales, however, will be at full price for those weeks we haven't calculated - those between Flickter-tide and Spring Planting. Lots of baking and cooking and preparing for feasting going on. And they'll be at full price for a couple of months after, as folks in the village are keen to get to know you and so will use the excuse of buying eggs from you. Small boon compared to selling loot, I know! But still, there you go.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

I might also say not to be afraid of a six-month pause before the pig buying. We're already straining what is credible with Taalia's time - learning a language, teaching a language, learning all about the care of sheep and chickens and dogs, also working part time with the Madre. If there's a 6 month 'no pigs yet' period, I think we'll be okay!

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The Pork Must Flow .

Though she's already acquired 1 pig. Maybe she'll spend 5gc of her current 10gc to buy a boar and 1 more ewe, to be contained in her smaller, self-contained area on Gaulfredo's farm?

At the moment this half year period was being found, learning the language, ingratiating herself into the community, buying and learning to take care of chickens, sheep and a dog and making them economically profitable - and, if possible, a single sow and boar couple. That's a pretty good personal start. As you mentioned, the fantasy-realism of her time being strained, even being a former slave used to working longer hours, does take effect, so it's a pretty good start so far.

She'll be thinking ahead atm, showing herself she can "do it" with what she has, with a mind towards expansion in the second half of the year. So to that end, she'll try and sound out the Rompollo about renting some acres of land next to Gaulfredo's, and if she can successfully lamb and shear the sheep, and her newly acquired pig + boar can have piglets, she'll have proven to herself she can expand...which will require hiring people etc. But as you mentioned, that's the central plot for the next 6 months!
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-12-26 at 11:30 PM.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

I regret to inform you that this prize pig is an eating pig - it is a male pig that has been desexed at birth, so its male hormones do not taint the meat; and he grows large, fat, and delicious. So he's no use for a breeding operation - but he's delicious, and unlikely to be aggressive kept in the pen with the sheep.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Ahh, shame. Well it'll be delicious, as you mention!

Well, hanging onto her money then for this first 6 months with an eye of expansion in the second - if her current operation goes alright.

For the chickens, is my math ball-park correct in 7 dozen eggs a week, 2 dozen goes to Gaulfredo/Ariana as rent, so 5 dozen go to market. Each week costs 4 pennies in bread loaves for feed, so that is 55 pennies per week ((15-4)*5), and 6 months is 24 weeks, minus the first couple of weeks is 22*55 = 1,210 pennies, or 100 silver and 10 pennies, or 5 gold, 10 pennies. That sound about right?
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-12-26 at 11:49 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Ahh, shame. Well it'll be delicious, as you mention!

Well, hanging onto her money then for this first 6 months with an eye of expansion in the second - if her current operation goes alright.

For the chickens, is my math ball-park correct in 7 dozen eggs a week, 2 dozen goes to Gaulfredo/Ariana as rent, so 5 dozen go to market. Each week costs 4 pennies in bread loaves for feed, so that is 55 pennies per week ((15-4)*5), and 6 months is 24 weeks, minus the first couple of weeks is 22*55 = 1,210 pennies, or 100 silver and 10 pennies, or 5 gold, 10 pennies. That sound about right?
    That sounds about right. I need to triage which math I check, so I'm just gonna say yes for that - it's the season of egg buying. After that 6 months, your initial fame boost will have levelled out; but also, Hurcio will have recovered and learned to hop on one foot, and gained the confidence to be ready to return to active duty as **** of the walk.

As for the pig, you won't need to pay foot expenses for one pig. Pigs can dine pretty well off the scraps that people throw away when they're living at a descent lifestyle; and since that's the case with the farm now, you can feed one pig without extra cost.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Splendid, the first 6 months will be ready soon for the timeskip you mentioned.

I think we agreed already on the price she could get for the wool (6gc for standard year, 7.5gc for good, 4.5gc for poor, per sheep), and chances are she'll want to keep as many lambs as she could for year, banking on making more off them next year.

So it'll be 5x D2 to determine how many lambs?

I'm just wrapping up my own post.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Making a Haggle roll

Haggle: (1d100)[19] vs TN 62

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Splendid, the first 6 months will be ready soon for the timeskip you mentioned.

I think we agreed already on the price she could get for the wool (6gc for standard year, 7.5gc for good, 4.5gc for poor, per sheep), and chances are she'll want to keep as many lambs as she could for year, banking on making more off them next year.

So it'll be 5x D2 to determine how many lambs?

I'm just wrapping up my own post.
    What I'm reading about lambing statistics is suggesting something like a 110% lambing rate - before fatalities, and with modern agricultural legacy. So I'm gonna say this:

As these are unproven ewes, there's a little more struggle for them this year. It'll be a D10 for each of them.

1-2: Some kind of complication that will require animal care rolls and some RP to try to manage.
    3-4: No lamb this season. Mating struggles, or stillbirth.
    6-9: A healthy lamb - 1d2 for (1)ram or (2)ewe.
    10: Twins.

A ewe that is proven adds +1 to her results for all future seasons.

Because you have a good quality ram on hand, I'll let you reroll one of the lambing dice per season. Good stock, and all.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Righteo, so rolls:

Ewe 1: (1D10)[3]
    Ewe 2: (1D10)[7]
    Ewe 3: (1D10)[10]
    Ewe 4: (1D10)[9]
    Ewe 5: (1D10)[2]

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Re-roll Ewe 5: (1D10)[2]

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Fate point if I can .

Ewe 5: (1D10)[10]

If I can't, then Animal Care: (1d100)[49] vs TN 49.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

The matters of sheep birthing are outside the hands of fate! But good try.

But it looks like you learned JUST enough Animal care to avert disaster. Nice.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

A novice livestock farmer and her unproven ewes, resulting in 4 healthy births, one not-so and one avoided-disaster. Sheep and shepherd learn and grow.

Lamb types:

Lamb 1: (1D2)[1]
    Lamb 2: (1D2)[1]
    Lamb 3: (1D2)[2]
    Lamb 4: (1D2)[1]

Three little rams and one ewe. Still, when life hands you lemons.

The 1 ewe she'll keep, and perhaps keep the healthiest/strongest looking ram for breeding future stud's, and sell the other two. A bit short of the hoped for 10-20gc worth for lambs, but fate has spoken.

The healthiest young male and future ram is the fruit of Hermes loins, afterall, a good quality ram himself, with refined breeding she could produce prize-winning rams that demand premium for studding duties!
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-12-27 at 01:08 AM.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

You succeeded at the care roll, so Ewe 5 was fruitful too. If you'd failed, there's a chance mother or child would have died; or both, in a real catastrophy.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Ahh splendid, that's helpful!

Lamb #5: (1D2)[1]

So 4 little rams and 1 ewe.

Keep the ewe. Keep the strongest/healthiest looking little ram. Sell the other 3 for meat/hides.

Orrrrr, if there is room, keep all of them, and see what quality rams the boys turn into, and if they're good quality maybe sell them later in the second 6 months for a slightly higher price (3gc instead of 2gc for example).
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-12-27 at 01:12 AM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

The 1 ewe she'll keep, and perhaps keep the healthiest/strongest looking ram for breeding future stud's, and sell the other two. A bit short of the hoped for 10-20gc worth for lambs, but fate has spoken.

The healthiest young male and future ram is the fruit of Hermes loins, afterall, a good quality ram himself, with refined breeding she could produce prize-winning rams that demand premium for studding duties!
    True! Though you may need to do some stock-trading with other sheep people in the next year, unless you plan to inbreed your flock into oblivion! Shouldn't be too hard, though.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    True! Though you may need to do some stock-trading with other sheep people in the next year, unless you plan to inbreed your flock into oblivion! Shouldn't be too hard, though.

Hah, no no, no inbreeding here.

Also:

"Orrrrr, if there is room, keep all of them, and see what quality rams the boys turn into, and if they're good quality maybe sell them later in the second 6 months for a slightly higher price (3gc instead of 2gc for example)."

This'll probably be the plan, especially if she expands her flock with wool sales (and buys some pigs) in the second half of Year 1.

Also, after the sheep complication, I think:

Advances:

Surgery (100)

Madres education pulled her through. All in all, a novice livestock rancher with her unproven flock, resulted in 5 lambs and no deaths, about as good as one could hope for.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-12-27 at 01:23 AM.