New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: The Power of One - A WFRP2e Solo Experience (OOC)

You can parry as long as you have any melee weapon, and you take a parrying stance! It's not particularly good at parrying. A shield, by contrast, gives +10% WS to parry; and when wielded in concert with a hand weapon, or dagger, or rapier, or a number of other options, you don't even need to take the parrying stance action.

Much that his stance helped - you moidered him. Specifically, you did a 10 point crit to his left arm, but rolled minimum chips on the crit table so he survived; then did a 10 point to his right arm, which rolled better on the crit table and the goblin was, to quote the book...

Quote Originally Posted by WFRP2e Rules
    "...10. Killed in whatever spectacular and gore-drenched fashion
    the player or GM cares to describe."
    Your wound hurts, but is clearly not fatal. You're hungry and there's cold roast horse lying around - but that seems... well, you can decide. It looks like this fellow is retrieving what belongs to him.

Also, in addition to the loot you had access to before, the goblins have dropped the crap they had on them. Their gross hides are useless to you, sizewise, and would not engender much favor from humans; and their clubs and spears are such poor quality weapons they are unlikely to sell. The clubs are decent hand weapons, if you wanted to take one; and the pick, still bloody, is clearly of human make. They also each have a crappy, rusty little knife, and a number of gross goblin gew-gaws, any of which you might take.

Honestly, this fellow had most of the luck - he statistically rocked the show, for a guy with just 34 WS. Just rolled well when it counted.

But I'm to bed, now! Will reply to your post in the morning, if you manage one!
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-11-28 at 09:11 AM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

*Thinks*

She's in Tilea. I'm guessing! That's as far as I'll speculate hehe.

I'm in a GDKP atm, but I'll post in a couple of hours.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Molto bene! Molto, molto bene.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

She almost got 1 shot by a goblin. I'm glad she Noped right out of that troll cave.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Yeah, that would have been an easy way to get rid of a fate point! I liked your plan - but it didn't work, for some reason. Worth remembering.

Posted! And bedtime for me, for now!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Some more tests...

Intelligence Test: (1d100)[49] vs TN 44.

Charm Test: (1d100)[45] vs TN 34.

Toughness: (1d100)[70] vs TN 61 - oh wait, she has Resistance to Disease so the Target Number should be 71, which means she just beats it.

*Rolls eyes*
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-11-29 at 10:03 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Fate Point re-roll them all for the day.

Intelligence Test: (1d100)[29] vs TN 44.

Charm Test: (1d100)[4] vs TN 34.

Toughness: (1d100)[31] vs TN 61

I also marked down the following trappings on her sheet: Peasants outfit (average craftsmanship), 1 Slingbag, 1 handful of mushrooms, 1 fishing reel (Good quality), 1 animal skull necklace, 2 leather pouches (small), 1 cloth scrap, 1 book (Damaged), 1 wooden pipe, 1 flint and steel (poor quality), 1 clay jug (1 gallon), 1 brass oddity), 1 large tent (poor quality), 7 pennies.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-11-29 at 09:58 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Jeez, those rolled sucked; but the Fate Points loved you. 3 fails to 3 passes! Remarkable.

The loot looks good to me. Poor Quality club, and poor quality dagger, are also available from the slain. The pick (Poor great weapon), was also looted; it lives in the barn now, with the other farming tools!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

She actually passed the third roll, because I forgot to take into account her Resistance to Disease hah. Still, 1/3 is quite dreadful.

Yes, she'll be pocketing the club as well. The RPG gamer in me has been hard-wired to do so.

Now as for that chest...

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

The chest indeed! Gaulfredo seems to have something in mind he's getting around to soon; and perhaps he has a way that will permit you, after the fact, to also end up with a still functional Large Trunk (3GC!). But he's not watching you like a hawk, if you're super curious about it and impatient enough to try a new plan!

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Heh her plan would involve the horse pulling the lock off, that'll need his help.

Though interestingly, if this weren't an adventure game, this would be about where the excitement of Taalia's life ends. She'd be a mix of Gaulfredo and Ariana, learning to cook and be homely, but also using her stature and strength to help with the crops and cattle. She'd live with them, learn the language, marry a local boy and have 9-10 of her own.

But, that's an alternate dimension, this is an adventure game hah.

Edit: Oh and I forgot to add "Lucky Charm" to those trappings.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-11-29 at 10:53 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Which would have been a perfectly fine ending. The best cap to a miserable childhood is an adult life lived well! But like you said… it’s an adventure game. These fate points mean what they say on the box!
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-11-29 at 11:05 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Something I'm curious atm about is the general ballpark of her age.

She went down into the under-empire when she was around 16-17, yeah? And it's been 10 years since then? So right now she's around 16-17 years old?

I ask for character purposes (though a 16 year old having undergone 10 years of Skaven slavery would *not* be the type of typical teenager today), but also for thinking of career purposes.

If she was older, I could totally see her first career as being the one that sets her on her path, like if, at 19, her first career was Militiaman and she was almost set on a military/mercenary path.

But if she's younger, like 16-17 or so, her first (technically second) career could take her through a couple of years and almost be a backdrop.

What are your thoughts?

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

I'm flexible on it, but I do prefer the second option - a somewhat normalish start before being projected into more heroic/militant things. My big reason for removing the switching career XP cost was to enable a bit more freedom for this kind of thing; gamer senses always tingle with alarm when we are presented with an option that might, force us to spend extra resources for a diverse background instead of focusing hard on one niche. I just hard shifted my Brettonian knight over to Entertainer for 200XP in the game I'm in and it breaks my heart to see that XP go down the drain - but I wanted some of the things Entertainer offered (trick-riding chief among them) so I went for it. But I would have done it without blinking an eye if there wasn't a penalty discouraging it!

So I made the rules for this story to prevent any sense that, for example, "it would be more efficient for me to go into the right career to get to X right away instead of wasting time and XP in Y; even if I like some of that or it makes sense IC." You get all the story; a diversified portfolio may serve you very well especially since your helpers are going to be limited to those you hire, or befriend IC - some of whom I might permit to be played by other players just for some RP texture and, if Nameless goes her own way at the end of that adventure/contract, then that's the way it goes and that character will either go to a new thread for a spinoff or be retired. Mostly you're relying on your main character.

So for all those reasons, I think mechanically it makes sense to do an 'early' career and then change to a different one; start at farmer, then take up bounty hunting when you become restless after a year or two for example, sure. I also think that makes sense the way you've been playing Nameless - if you'd played her as more traumatized, twitchy and hostile to people, she might have accepted only the help she need then struck out into the world right away. But you seem to be happy to play her reveling in normalcy for a while - it's fine and good to play into that. It means your early 'quests' might be a little more Redridge than Burning Steppes, if you get my drift. A little more "Help, there's a pig in my garden! I dropped my necklace in the water! A rock fell on Barry, now he's stuck!" and a little less "We must kill Gorbag Nutsmasher before he overruns the capitol! You must find the dragon-spear! Duke Penderghast must be stopped!".

BuuuUUUUuuUUUuuut if I wanted to write the whole story I could be doing that; I'm facilitating for you. But that's my thoughts.

Timewise, I pictured that she was nabbed by Norscans at about age 5, sold to rats at about 7, and probably emerged at about age 17. But all that's foggy and adjustable, somewhat by design.

Edit: I certainly enjoy GMing slice-of-life, Nameless-Strives-To-Unlearn-Skavenisms type stuff. Knowing that there is definitely adventure and daring in the future, I like the contrast of the build; and I like your character making some attachments to people and getting grounded in the surface world before seeking out another purpose.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-11-30 at 07:48 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Whats in the chest, what's in the chest, what's in the chest? Haha.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

She's quite interested in the old womans alchemy and the mans tinkering, so a mixture of Hedge Wizard and Student (gee, who does that sound like?). The roadwarden is more of a dashing figure to her at the moment, but from whom she'd love to learn how to use firearms.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-11-30 at 07:53 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Well, the woman is a wisewoman of Tilea's equivalent of Rhya; she's in the Friar career, though with a less formalized order because Rhyans don't really worry so much about formality and are very rural. So she's the healer and midwife of the area, and meets with similar compatriots in neighbouring farming communities. She's gone through Hedgecraft Apprentice and into Initiate (Taal & Rhya), so she has some herbalism knowledge even if she's not a full on swamp dwelling potion hag.

The gent working on the chest is a tradesman - a worker in brass and steel, though apparently somewhat technically minded as well. And you picked the road warden! Once we pass a little time for it to be credible for you to be speaking Tilean, you'll be able to start curating your options.

Lunch now, post later.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-11-30 at 10:24 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Indeed, the more I ponder it the more I think she genuinely would enjoy, and excel at, a combination of Tradesman (Gunsmith) and Hedge Apprentice to the older woman, as what she'd be doing over the next few years until she's 19 or so. Taught by those around her, following in Papa Rats pawsteps .

That's just what I'm thinking atm, of course!
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-11-30 at 11:47 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    Lunch now, post later.

My my, that was quite a long lunch haha. I'm just teasing, I hope you're enjoying Dragonflight.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-12-03 at 12:26 AM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

So all up ~135.3gc worth in the chest! 140.3gc with the chest.

Could sell it and buy a riding horse.

Or do herself up nicely and attract a wealthy noble needing a wife lol.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Those are the prices that an accomplished seller could sell those things for - selling them at this stage in your career will be an adventure in itself. Not many farmer's wives out in Whoop-Whoop Tilea who can fork over 50gc for a dress! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by A Cheeky Monkey
    My my, that was quite a long lunch haha. I'm just teasing, I hope you're enjoying Dragonflight.
    >_> I am.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-12-03 at 09:49 AM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Heh I figured :P.

Ahh, so there's no local town to go and off-load stuff? We really are out in rural land, like the type I personally grew up in? Interesting. I guess that makes the Nobles Garb even more valuable and an even greater gift that Taalia just gave to her step mother.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Sorry to annoy you with just speaking out loud, but I'm just going over page 104 of the core book in regards to income, availability etc. Though as I mentioned in my IC post, I'm not a rules lawyer expecting you to adhere to things 100%, it is a useful point of reference and framing for these sorts of things so one can get a sense of scale.

Like the yearly pay of a farmer (I think in the career entries the book distinguishes peasants working the land from "farmers", who make a good living and have enhanced social status because of it) is 15-25 gold crowns, monthly pay of 15-25 shillings and weekly pay of 45-75 pennies.

So together Gaulfredo and Ariana generate about 24-50 gold crows a year before taxes. Then along comes Taalia with this chest within which is a Nobles Garb, which is worth what they make in a year, let alone the rest of the items. The good craftsman mirror is 30gc, which is more than Gaulfredo makes in a year. All up, Taalia wants to take 89 gc worth of materials to the local market to barter with, that's about 90gc, or almost twice what this family makes in a year. According to Old World Armory, 90gc is enough to buy an acre of common rural land, or a rural hovel she could set herself up in. Like imagine if you took someone in and they wanted to trade with goods worth a bit under half of what you make a year. That's quite something.

So if she traded those items for other items, one of them being an ox, and then gifted it to Gaulfredo/Ariana to replace their draught horse, that's like someone gifting you something worth over a years worth of pay. And still having "value" left over to barter for some more things.

Again, sorry to bother you, this is really just me talking out loud about things I find interesting because I'm a nerd with an over-active imagination lol.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-12-04 at 04:04 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

It takes a concerted effort to annoy me! :D

The relationship between the prices of objects as they relate to adventurers and the prices of objects as they relate to real people in the world earning wages is fraught with peril. It's all a bit wibbly wobbly. But indeed, you have in your possession a decent chunk of potential windfall in these desirable garments. As for giving the noble garb to Ariana, well. Give me a charm roll, with a +40%. It's a very nice gift; the nicest thing she ever will have owned. But it requires her to suspend her instinct to decline something so valuable. Gift culture can be weird!

But yep; it's scattered freemen with farms, with village hubs; and villages radiating from towns. As far as the governance over this... we will discover that.

Gonna go to bed soon, but I'll post tomorrow!

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Charm: (1d100)[24] vs TN 74.

It looks like she'll be accepting it. Doubtless her euphoria will over-flow onto her husband, who will in turn be subtly thankful to Taalia haha. They might be facing troubling financial times ahead, but they do so in good spirits lol.

So that means Taalia will be taking ~39gc worth of goods to market, which is more than twice the average peasants yearly earnings. Again, the loose references we've mentioned, but still. It's a lot.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-12-04 at 08:45 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I've been perusing through the bartering system of Old World Armory and comparing some availabilities. Now, again, I'm not rules-lawyering and demanding strict adherence heh, and the simple price of "availability" can get unusual. (would people really trade an ox for a pair of shoes?)

But the general goal of Taalia's trip might be:

good mirror (v rare) - 32 plentiful (or 16 common)
    1 good clothes (common) - 2 plentiful
    1 best clothes (average) - 4 plentiful
    1 good mask (average) - 4 plentiful

= 40 plentiful, or 20 common.

Plan 1:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1 ox (30g, plentiful availability) - a gift to Gaulfredo.
    20-30 chickens + 2-3 roosters (5 pennies each which is ridiculously cheap, you can buy 30 chooks for 12.5 silver shillings)
    Materials and a couple of boys to help build a large coop for about 100 chickens (average/poor laborer's are 'common' availability, no real cost estimation for a coup, but it'd be much less than a hovel.)
    Some feed for the chooks. (plentiful)

Chickens are prolific layers, with ~30 chickens producing about 12 dozen eggs per week. On page 120 of Old World Armory, a dozen eggs sells for 15 pennies, so keeping 2 dozen eggs for the family and selling the other 10 for 150 pennies a week, or 12.5 silver a week. If she does that for a year that's 650 silver shillings a year, or about 32.5 gold crowns a year, which is at the top end of what the 'farmer' pay scale is.

However. That's for the first 6 months. Those 2 dozen eggs? Half can be eaten, the other half can be used to let the chicks grow up, as they'll start producing eggs after 18-22 weeks too. So after 6 months that flock of 30 has become a flock of ~100, producing ~39 dozen eggs a week. Two dozen kept for the family to eat and use, the other 37 being sold for 555 pennies a week, or 46.25 silver a week, or 2.31 gold crowns a week, for an income of 55.5gc for the second half of the year, or 71.75 in total with the first half of the year, and about 111 gold crowns the next year.

Now, this is a huge oversimplification, and money will have to be spent maybe hiring a labourer, upkeep, travel etc, but with some work it's potentially very lucrative and her contribution to the farmstead.

Plan 2:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1x ox (30g, plentiful availability) - a gift to Gaulfredo.
    5 sheep and a ram (12g, plentiful availability)
    Some materials and boys to help for a day of setting up a small fenced off area with grazing.

Each sheep can produce about 11 square yards of wool per year, and each square yard of wool, according to page 116 of Old World Armory, is worth ~1gc. Each ewe will have 1-2 lambs a year, which can be kept to expand the flock for now. So 6 sheep in one year producing about 66 yards of wool, for about 66gc a year. Now that won't be net pay, as she'll need to hire some people to help her sheer the sheep etc, but that's more than what they're estimated to be making a year atm. The next year, the flock will be about 1-2x bigger with the last years lambs grown up, so that's 132-198 yards of wool, so 132-198 gold crowns worth. Again, that's a gross oversimplification, but it's a lot with money for expansion.

I understand this is ambitious , but it's what's going through her happy head at the moment from what she's learned about farming and how to help improve her host/saviours family's fortunes. Taalia has no idea that a lifetime of adventure awaits, so she's thinking ahead of the next few years: farming and learning from the Wise Woman, maybe even picking up some pointers from the tradesman that helped with the lock.

(though I never thought I'd see the day where I write about the acquisition of chickens in Warhammer as 'ambitious')

Speaking of that lock, what became of it? Was it a good quality lock?

Edit: When looking at the couple of plans, I had a moment of "Well if it's so easy to make a lot of gold farming like that, why is the average farmers pay estimated to be 30gc a year? Why don't all of them do this?" And I think the easiest answer is that very few have a chest full of hundreds of gold crowns-worth of tradeable goods fall into their lap that they can use to essentially set up their own business and already have access to farmable/grazing land with the infrastructure already in place. Most only own a few acres of farming land and use it for crops. It's really a "the stars aligning" level of luck combined with sound investment that moderate dynasties are founded on.
    Most peasants have to work pretty hard, with most of what they make going just to rent and food and some clothes on their back and taxes (which is mentioned to come after the estimated yearly pay), let alone saving for animals and the farmable land on which to raise them. If a peasant saved up half a year for a couple of sheep hoping to sell the wool and lambs for meat, great, where they going to keep them? What grazing land do they have access to? There's even more costs to save for land, or paying the money to hire grazing land from someone (assuming they're not using it already for the same purpose).

I'll stop rambling now, this is just how my stream of consciousness goes .
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-12-04 at 10:44 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Well, you have surprised me. I thought I was going to have to nail your feet to the floor to stop you doing something Wild like trying to seize the throne of kislev or bamboozle the Slann into thinking you were a reincarnated old one so they teach you ultramagic.

But I’m cool with a little bit of farm simulator! The plans you have listed sound neat to me. If you’re planning on having Taalia chill out and raise chickens and sheep for a while, then your biggest opponents are likely to be animal health, taxes, and the occasional poacher, vulpine or otherwise. Those might be more easily mitigated by having the appropriate skills, as many skills simply do not need rolling if you are trained. Trying to care for 30 chickens without the Animal Care skill is going to require rolls on many occasions that just being trained will be an auto success. With training, you’ll tell immediately if your chickens are not healthy, and then only have to roll to diagnose their poultry malady. Untrained, you’re rolling both to know somethings wrong and then to diagnose; and both at half int.

Likewise, being trained in haggle means you can recognise when you are being ripped off by tax men or business partners. So consider your future wisely! While I’m happy to have Taalia investing her attention multiple ways, you can only strictly devote your character advancement to one career at a time. But perhaps we’ll see how well this trip to market turns out before you make a decision.

WFRP2E: Buying Chickens in fantasy Italy. The stakes have literally never been lower, but I am indeed here for it. :)

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Haha it's certainly not what I was expecting either, but Im certainly enjoying it.

It helps that she's also only about 16ish to 17 years old. She's got access to farmland for a few years and energy to burn. Lots of time yet for zany adventures.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

d6 Re: The Power of One - A WFRP2e Solo Experience (OOC)

And yes, few monsters are as terrifying in the bestiary and whom inadvertently create libertarians everywhere their black influence is felt: the tax man.

I actually ran a game a while back at uni, and I had the group encounter the royal tax collector on their return to the city after slaying a dragon and claiming its loot. 30-40% of their money went to the king, and they couldn't afford all the magic items they had been planning to purchase. "Maybe next adventure" the tax collector said with a sleazy smile. Never have I seen a group of chilled out uni bros get so mad and collectively transform into Ron Paul before my eyes lol.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-12-04 at 11:53 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Int check: (1d100)[71] vs TN 44.