New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: I never forget a face...

Quote Originally Posted by JonahFalcon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    He's probably a crow that pretends to be a raven, like how some rats pretends to be mice.
    They're all corvids.
    And here I thought that rats and mice were rodents. Live and learn.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Brackenlord View Post
    Corvids are a much tighter clade than rodents.

Bats, rabbits, hamsters, chinchillas and beavers are all rodents, too.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

When did bats join rodentia? And did they tell chiroptera when they left?

Ooooh!

"I'm Batman!"
    "Dude, you got whiskers!"
    "Batman!"
    "And buck teeth."
    "Bat..."
    "Hang it up, man, you're a rat with a cape and anger issues."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Rabbits are not rodents either. Though unlike bats, who are less rodentlike than any oots poster except Meta, they are at least from the sister clade.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Excuse me, Blackwing is an exceptional raven!
    I believe he identifies as:

'A Super Stealth Flying Dinosaur'

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Perhaps he uses beak and leg polish to attract ravens with a particular idea of attractiveness. Ravens do have excellent color vision.
    That's true for most birdies, in fact. Tetrachromacy for the win!

They're all corvids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brackenlord View Post
    Yup. Rodentia is an order or superorder; Corvidae, in the meantime is a family, and most things called crow or raven are from the same genus.

When did bats join rodentia? And did they tell chiroptera when they left?
    In On the Origin of the PCs. Amusingly enough, V of all people makes the same mistake of lumping them in with rodents in the Iron Mage sequence.

"I'm Batman!"
    "Dude, you got whiskers!"
    "Batman!"
    "And buck teeth."
    "Bat..."
    "Hang it up, man, you're a rat with a cape and anger issues."
    Well played, Brian, well played!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonmantle View Post
    Rabbits are not rodents either. Though unlike bats, who are less rodentlike than any oots poster except Meta,
    [Waves over from the Green Kingdom.]

they are at least from the sister clade.
    Yup. Heck, Lagomorpha was included in Rodentia for quite some time before they split off.

Quote Originally Posted by wilphe View Post
    I believe he identifies as:

'A Super Stealth Flying Dinosaur'
    A super-advanced flying stealth dinosaur, actually!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    In On the Origin of the PCs. Amusingly enough, V of all people makes the same mistake of lumping them in with rodents in the Iron Mage sequence.
    It's pretty common for people to disregard bats as just mice, even when they know better. Heck, Fledermaus, the German word for bat, translates roughly as "flapping mouse".

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    It's pretty common for people to disregard bats as just mice, even when they know better. Heck, Fledermaus, the German word for bat, translates roughly as "flapping mouse".
    And the French is chauve-souris, "bald mouse". It comes from a translation error with the Latin word, that I don't remember but means "owl-mouse".
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

In OotSverse bats did not evolve, so it is understandable that the taxonomers made the same mistake ours made in classifying animals back in the old days. Because it is obviously the taxonomists at fault and not V.

Come to think of it, there's not a lot of evidence that bats evolved in the real world, either.

10. - Top - End - #40

Come to think of it, there's not a lot of evidence that bats evolved in the real world, either.
    [Frantically dials the Our Reptilian Overlords hotline to report on the data leak.] Now, now, let's, uh, let's not get, uh, carried away like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    And the French is chauve-souris, "bald mouse". It comes from a translation error with the Latin word, that I don't remember but means "owl-mouse".
    It would appear that this is quite a common phenomenon in European languages, v. Portuguese morcego, Spanish murciélago, Catalan muricec (ultimately all deriving from a phrase meaning 'blind mouse'); (archaic and dialectal) English flittermouse, Danish flagermus, Norwegian flaggermus, Swedish fladdermus, Serbo-Croatian šišmiš (same as Fledermaus); Dutch vleermuis ('winged mouse'); Russian летучая мышь (~lyetuchaya mysh, I think), Faroese flogmús ('flying mouse'); Hungarian bőregér ('leather mouse') &c.

11. - Top - End - #41

BardGuy

Crazy corollary - what if Redcloak notices Blackwing and, knowing Thor is watching him, comes to the "logical" conclusion that he's an emissary of Odin?

While either of them deciding to chase Blackwing would make a semblance of sense it would either result in killing off a fan (and author) favorite with potentially little service to the plot or with a chase scene where Blackwing gets away. So I'd think even if they notice Blackwing he'd get away quickly somehow or it would be immediately before a battle and work as a planned distraction somehow.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    Crazy corollary - what if Redcloak notices Blackwing and, knowing Thor is watching him, comes to the "logical" conclusion that he's an emissary of Odin?
    Not likely, for the simple reason that Odin's ravens have not really been introduced. Even here they are not present, while story-wise it would have been a perfect opportunity to bring them up. Have they even appeared in-panel apart from this early strip?

Essentially, Chekhov's Raven would need to be something that's at least acknowledged to exist before Team Evil starts shooting disintegrate at random birds...
    Last edited by Zarhan; 2022-11-07 at 08:01 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zarhan View Post
    Not likely, for the simple reason that Odin's ravens have not really been introduced. Even here they are not present, while story-wise it would have been a perfect opportunity to bring them up. Have they even appeared in-panel apart from this early strip?

Essentially, Chekhov's Raven would need to be something that's at least acknowledged to exist before Team Evil starts shooting disintegrate at random birds...
    Counterpoint: Redcloak is a book-nerd and (unlike Elan or Tarquin) wouldn't care if they'd been introduced before or not. If a "wizard class feature" knows Odin relates to ravens then surely Redcloak's religion-lore-check would cover it. Plus, that covers Chekov's make-sure-the-audience-isn't-completely-surprised fetish.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    Counterpoint: Redcloak is a book-nerd and (unlike Elan or Tarquin) wouldn't care if they'd been introduced before or not. If a "wizard class feature" knows Odin relates to ravens then surely Redcloak's religion-lore-check would cover it. Plus, that covers Chekov's make-sure-the-audience-isn't-completely-surprised fetish.
    Blackwing is a raven, though, he knows stuff about ravens. He himself says in this link he doesn't know much about gods. Outside of worship of the Dark One and the mecanics of divine magic, I don't expect Redcloak to know much about gods, their names and job description, probably, but attributes would be a coin toss. Malack is just as much of a nerd as Redcloak, and much older and yet, he only had passing familiarity with Hel.
    Forum Wisdom

15. - Top - End - #45

Blackwing is a raven, though, he knows stuff about ravens. He himself says in this link he doesn't know much about gods. Outside of worship of the Dark One and the mecanics of divine magic, I don't expect Redcloak to know much about gods, their names and job description, probably, but attributes would be a coin toss.
    Well, he called the coin and got the good side up, then. P. 35 of SoD, featuring a crayon splash panel that is author-confirmed to be a narrative as told by Redcloak has Odin on it and with him (within his yellow aura, in actual fact) two ravens choughs not unlike Blackwing.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Well, he called the coin and got the good side up, then. P. 35 of SoD, featuring a crayon splash panel that is author-confirmed to be a narrative as told by Redcloak has Odin on it and with him (within his yellow aura, in actual fact) two ravens choughs not unlike Blackwing.
    Redcloak isn't the one drawing the comic. This crayons drawing also feature a red-headed Thor for one panel, something Redcloak definitely doesn't know about.
    Forum Wisdom

17. - Top - End - #47

Redcloak isn't the one drawing the comic. This crayons drawing also feature a red-headed Thor for one panel, something Redcloak definitely doesn't know about.
    That one might just be a mistake (an let me pull a dancrilis on you: Big Purple interacted the most with Loki,; Thor and Loki are brothers; and therefore, it is possible the Dark One himself misremembered the hair colour for a second there when implanting stuff in the Mantle). Anyhow, the Crayons of Time (as told by Shojo) also has the choughs. I'm ready to take this as good evidence that the "raven" thing is reasonably common knowledge. (In fact, I find the idea that all ravens, including class features, know all there is about Odin's ravens simply on account of being ravens a more dubious conjecture.)

18. - Top - End - #48
    Colossus in the Playground

This crayons drawing also feature a red-headed Thor for one panel, something Redcloak definitely doesn't know about.
    I always assumed the guy from the SoD crayons, in brown-and-white instead of steel and blue, with much smaller helmet horns, and no white-fur-trimmed gloves and boots, wasn't Thor at all, but another member of the pantheon.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2022-11-09 at 01:01 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    I always assumed the guy from the SoD crayons, in brown-and-white instead of steel and blue, with much smaller helmet horns, and no white-fur-trimmed gloves and boots, wasn't Thor at all, but another member of the pantheon.
    Same hairstyle, very similar clothing, never seen since and Thor stated he used to be a ginger.

Let's list the male gods in the pantheon:

• Thor
    • Odin (we know that's not him)
    • Loki (we know that's not him)
    • Heimdall (we know that's not him)
    • Thrym (we know that's not him)
    • Fernrir (we know that's not him)
    • Surtur (we know that's not him)
    • Dvalin (we know that's not him (he's from this world))
    • Tyr, god of war
    • Balder, god of beauty
    • Freyr, god of prosperity
    • Njord, god of the sea
    • Mani, god of the Moon
    • Hoder (does not look blind)
    • Vafthrundir, god of secrets
    • Bragi, god of poetry
    • Hermod god of messengers

That leaves us with 8 possible candidates. Looking at their portfolio, I would say the better fit would be Tyr, god of war. But I'm pretty sure that's this guy.
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #50

Same hairstyle, very similar clothing,
    The boots look different (brown, no fur trim, visible toecaps), the cape is different (white, short, very jaggedy edge), and the guy doesn't wear gloves like Crayon Thor does. The outfits are really not all that similar.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2022-11-09 at 01:21 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

That's a very good point, actually (that's what I get for not checking what the Frenchman was referring to).

I would say the better fit would be Tyr, god of war. But I'm pretty sure that's this guy.
    Abd I'm absolutely certain that is correct.

The boots look different (brown, no fur trim, visible toecaps), the cape is different (white, short, very jaggedy edge), and the guy doesn't wear gloves like Crayon Thor does. The outfits are really not all that similar.
    I concur. Further, all the gods are portrayed in an incredibly consistent manner across all appearances. We see the familiar design of Thor a measly four pages later.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

It's a guy wearing armor with pauldrons, a horned helmet, armoured boots and a cape. The difference in clothing style with current-day Thor is minimal next to the difference between current-day Thor and any other Northern god shown.
    Forum Wisdom

23. - Top - End - #53

It's a guy wearing armor with pauldrons, a horned helmet, armoured boots and a cape. The difference in clothing style with current-day Thor is minimal next to the difference between current-day Thor and any other Northern god shown.
    And this guy is wearing armour with pauldrons, a horned helmet, armoured boots, a belt and gloves. Sure, he has no cape or beard, but that's pretty damn similar. He's probably also just a mislabeled version of Thor.

Edit: Not that Thor was ever shown wearing armoured boots before late into UD, and even at that point, they have a distinctively different design.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-11-09 at 01:42 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

I concur. Further, all the gods are portrayed in an incredibly consistent manner across all appearances. We see the familiar design of Thor a measly four pages later.
    Except Thor told us himself his physical appearance changed and the "measly" four pages hide a billion-of-years timeskip.
    And this guy is wearing armour with pauldrons, a horned helmet, armoured boots, a belt and gloves. Sure, he has no cape or beard, but that's pretty damn similar. He's probably also just a mislabeled version of Thor.
    You forget that he also has a visor and what I think is supposed to be a chainmail hood and a shield.

That's many more difference than what looks like a palette-swap of Thor.

Like why would two gods look so much alike and risk being confused with each other when they sustain themselves on belief?
    Forum Wisdom

25. - Top - End - #55

Except Thor told us himself his physical appearance changed and the "measly" four pages hide a billion-of-years timeskip.
    Thor was shown as blond and dressed in grey rather than brown, in crayon strips set before the billions-year timeskip.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0273.html

"He went through a short phase of gingerness and brown outfit instead of blond and grey outfit, before reverting to the old one" seems to me just unnecessarily convoluted.

Much simpler IMO, to go with "Redbeard Northern God is one of the following":

Balder, god of beauty
    Freyr, god of prosperity
    Njord, god of the sea
    Mani, god of the Moon
    Vafthrundir, god of secrets
    Bragi, god of poetry
    Hermod god of messengers
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2022-11-09 at 01:53 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

never seen since
    • Vafthrundir, god of secrets
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm.............
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm.............
    His cleric is the only one of those on the above list, at the Moot, who's dressed in armor rather than robes or "regular clothing".

Perhaps the purple is just that cleric's thing rather than the god's theme colour. Not every cleric wears a perfect match to their god's clothing, after all.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2022-11-09 at 02:04 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Thor was shown as blond and dressed in grey rather than brown, in crayon strips set before the billions-year timeskip.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0273.html

"He went through a short phase of gingerness and brown outfit instead of blond and grey outfit, before reverting to the old one" seems to me just unnecessarily convoluted.
    Hm, that's a good point.
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #59

You forget that he also has a visor and what I think is supposed to be a chainmail hood and a shield.

That's many more difference than what looks like a palette-swap of Thor.
    Yes, and like I said, Mystery Guy has no belt, armoured boots instead of fur-lined boots, smaller and differently curved horns, a furlike thing instead of a neat and well-kept cloak… I wouldn't call that a palette swap, exactly, and the absurd example with Heimdall was there to highlight that.

Like why would two gods look so much alike and risk being confused with each other when they sustain themselves on belief?
    Go ask Dragon and Snake. (Also, colours are kind of a big deal with gods.)
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-11-09 at 02:12 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    It doesn't really matter how good Xykon's Spot is, because Blackwing isn't hiding. You don't need to make Spot checks to see someone who's out in the open.
    I beg to differ