New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Genocide of the Devas

Ok, the 4e Dark Sun book names Deva as one of the races genocided by the Sorcerer-Kings.

How do you genocide deva? Don't they reincarnate, literally, somewhere else once they die?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Genocide of the Devas

Going out on a limb and claiming it isn't really possible, and is just 4e writers terrible way of saying "hey, this race doesn't fit in this world, and instead of leaving it at they we are going to make a lame excuse."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Only thing I can think of is magic jarring every single one.

Or, that it was incredibly easy, since the Gray ate them all once they died, before they reincarnated, but that only works if you explain how any were there at all, in the first place.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

It would have been cleaner to say no gods = no devas.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

I don't really remember much about what's in the books. Based solely on your description of the issue, I — as a GM — would tie this in with how Deva who get corrupted become Rakshasa. That is, the genocide was part spiritual in nature — the abuse Deva souls took over multiple lifetimes of being hunted and destroyed, combined with the overall ****tiness of the world (particularly depressing for immortal souls that can remember the splendor before), eventually made them all into Rakshasa.

This would allow me both to use Rakshasa as somewhat nuanced (am I really evil if it took multiple lifetimes of concerted effort to make me this way?) antagonists, and to give green light to a hypothetical player who wants to play a Deva after al… If they feel up to the task of being either a freshly-cleansed soul who spent untold centuries as an evil corrupter, or a late straddler whose reincarnation got delayed somehow, and now his immortal once-brethren are worse than extinct.

The simplest explanation, of course, would be Grey this, Planes/Astral Sea that, Devas got killed on Athas and reincarnated somewhere else, and their souls can't/don't bother to reincarnate in that particular inaccessible ****hole anymore.
    Last edited by Lord Haart; 2022-12-22 at 04:36 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elitarismo View Post
    Complaining about martial characters dipping many different classes is like complaining that the sun is hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArqArturo View Post
    When I first wanted to build a gish, I wanted to be the guy that threw fireballs, lightning bolts, wore spiked fullplate and reigned death and destruction (…)

So I rolled a cleric.

To everyone i played with in a certain campaign: i'm sorry i've dropped off without a warning, but a sudden case of twin daughers is a very solid reason, trust me.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

There were a few other options for how the devas could have disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sun Campaign Setting, page 25
    Some were eradicated in ancient wars, some were hunted down by agents of the sorcerer-kings, and others died out with the passing of the old world.

And then there is this bit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PHB2, page 9
    When a deva dies, his or her spirit is reincarnated in a new, adult body that appears in some sacred place, such as a mountain peak, a riverbank, or a desert oasis.
    You could say as a DM that the defiling magic of the sorcerer-kings ripped out everything that made such places sacred and that without a proper place to reincarnate, the devas just faded away.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Twelvetrees View Post
    You could say as a DM that the defiling magic of the sorcerer-kings ripped out everything that made such places sacred and that without a proper place to reincarnate, the devas just faded away.
    To have some fun with this, maybe they didn't fade. They're still stacked up in a holding pattern waiting for the chance to reincarnate

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Going out on a limb and claiming it isn't really possible, and is just 4e writers terrible way of saying "hey, this race doesn't fit in this world, and instead of leaving it at they we are going to make a lame excuse."
    My biggest beef with 4e is that this would be entirely on-brand
    Last edited by Duff; 2023-01-01 at 10:13 PM.
    I love playing in a party with a couple of power-gamers, it frees me up to be Elan!