New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Dragon Prince: Mystery of Aaravos is out!

Tried to watch Arcane on Netflix to see what its about, but instead ended up watching the new season of Dragon Prince because it was just there suddenly.

Spoiler: DP: Mystery of Aaravos
    Show

I see some diplomacy pro moves throughout the season:
    -we have mother dragon lady being splattered with tart because of a whoopsie, licking it off her face and praising it as the greatest tart in all the land instead of being a jerk about it
    -we have Ezran recognizing the pain people are suffering and giving a somber speech about how we must both have hope and remember the pain people have suffered so that we can be respectful moving forward
    -we have sun elf queen sparing an architect despite being guilty of desecrating a sacred rite of their peoples laws and instead getting her to build a shrine to make sure their ritual doesn't burn their camp
    -Ezran again, bringing a tart to the earth dragon after he rejects their other gifts and it works cause said dragon is tired of gold and artifacts.

honestly we need more diplomacy pro moves in fiction. its great how the Dragon Prince makes such negotiations tense and actually work when they come up with solutions to them. like they are making the sunfire elf subplot work really well through that.

Its actually interesting how they made Viren the less crazy and more willing to give up person among the three antagonists while suddenly his daughter is the one pushing them forward to unleash the great evil, to the point where he has the "y'know I have only 30 days to live maybe I'll just use it wisely and die in peace instead of chasing power and such" early and she is the one to slap him and insist on chasing the evil anyways, showing her as the real driving force now while the elf boyfriend she has just gets slowly corrupted by their influence, to the point of going along with them even after he killed somebody for them.

and I only realize in retrospect that Claudia still has her "dragons and elves did nothing for us" rhetoric to Soren despite....having an elven boyfriend now. and its fascinating to me the cognitive dissonance she has. like its probably this realistic thing where she has these beliefs while having a relationship with Terry and thinking of him as an exception or looking past that, while its fascinating to see an otherwise good and friendly elf just....be okay with her using dark magic, bringing her father back to life and literally be out to unleash a guy known for masterminding conflicts across all of history for some reason. and Viren has no problem with their relationship he just finds them an annoying lovey-dovey couple.

like its this weird surreal situation where the main villain, Claudia is still this bright and cheery person in an honest relationship with someone and that makes all the times she does some dark magic to bring bad the big bad all the worse for it because its only her dark side and it hasn't actually taken control of her fully, while the other main villain is expressing reluctance and hesitance as the new reality of the situation sets in....until he gets his staff back. like they are emphasizing there is still good and humanity in both of them even as they keep walking down the wrong path.

oh and Callum and Rayla have relationship issues I guess. *shrug* whatever.

Aaravos, not seen much this season, just there to deliver his gloating speech about how the main characters suck in his eyes, drop the villain mic and leave by blowing a kiss to shatter the mirror, cause y'know he is a villain he has got to have some swagger, some stylin', save him for later when the real big stuff starts.

Overall yeah, hitting it out of the park Dragon Prince, glad to see it come back.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dragon Prince: Mystery of Aaravos is out!

I am only a couple episodes in. The kids like it, I like it. Some of the bad guys are likeable. The next D&D movie has stiff competition with Dragon Prince.

For those thinking about watching I'll say its pretty character driven with minor conflicts in each episode running into an overall story ark. Its not endless 20 minute cycles of mindless violence. I like that.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ooh I’m excited to watch that. My kids and I watched the first few (?) seasons, until that big battle. We liked it.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I am wondering how Terry would sympathize with Claudia even with Dark Magic being used in front of him other than she being more accepting of his choice to be a "a buck than a doe"?
    Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show
    Though he is starting to doubt on them after seeing Claudia tricking Rayla with (fake) soul coins.
    Last edited by t209; 2022-11-08 at 11:27 PM.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3