New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: In praise of simple DMing.

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    McGreaseBall's always gives me explody butt. Steak or I'll go make myself a salad. No emergency porcelain throne visits for me please.
    Well, I could have said "Sometimes you're in the mood for [subcategory A of a given set of experiences] and sometimes you're in the mood for [related but distinct subcategory B of the same set of experiences]."

But it's not as pithy. Feel free to adjust the nouns inside the brackets to taste.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Easy e View Post
    3. Masters who focus on just having fun within the game
    "Masters who focus on having the most fun within the game"
    I like this netter

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    Well, I could have said "Sometimes you're in the mood for [subcategory A of a given set of experiences] and sometimes you're in the mood for [related but distinct subcategory B of the same set of experiences]."

But it's not as pithy. Feel free to adjust the nouns inside the brackets to taste.
    Well, there are subcategories of both food and rpg that I am always uninterested in. Pointless hack & slash combat and cheap greasy food being among them. Part of why the wargame minis scene never pulled at me even though I have probably a couple armies wirth of assorted minis I've done.

'Simple' to me means something like Paranoia, one of the one page games, or Mork Borg. Nothing to break, nothing to screw up, just lran into "what's funny" to run & fun it.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

I try to include some of this in each session, even when there is a major story arc. As I said in my "Rules for DS":

32. There should be encounters that have nothing to do with the main quest, or there is no world – just a party and a quest.
    a. Yes, the quest is your focus. But set it in a complex world, much bigger than the quest

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Well, there are subcategories of both food and rpg that I am always uninterested in. Pointless hack & slash combat and cheap greasy food being among them.
    Hack and slash was the steak.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    Hack and slash was the steak.
    Makes sense. THe onse single ingreedient corresponding to the one pillar of the game well represented.

The other, more complex composite, more finely processed output with many more ingredients on the other hand...

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

The golden age of my 5e time was when I was playing in a traditional world-building campaign on Thursdays and then playing or DMing Adventurer's League one-shots on Mondays. Was a perfect blend of "serious" 5e to stretch the roleplaying chops and then beer & pretzels dice-rollin' with a little RP to join the combats together each week.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Sometimes a good old-fashioned Hack and Slash can be fun.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Well, there are subcategories of both food and rpg that I am always uninterested in. Pointless hack & slash combat and cheap greasy food being among them. Part of why the wargame minis scene never pulled at me even though I have probably a couple armies wirth of assorted minis I've done.

'Simple' to me means something like Paranoia, one of the one page games, or Mork Borg. Nothing to break, nothing to screw up, just lran into "what's funny" to run & fun it.
    Well, I could have also said. "Some percentage of the time, some percentage of people are interested in one subcategory of an experience, and (allowing for overlapping data sets) some other percentage of the time, some other percentage of people are interested in another subcategory of an experience (plus or minus X amount of oversimplification and Y amount of overlap)."

But the overall point is, I believe, reasonably clear: various people are able to draw various kinds of enjoyment from various configurations of an activity at various times. And the fact that you, specifically, will never draw enjoyment from a given configuration, doesn't invalidate either their enjoyment or that configuration.

Similarly, your definition of 'simple' may be useful (even accurate) but it is not definitive.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)