New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: The Red Hand of Doom 3.5 II

Athelras watches the group as they sort things out. Eyes flicking from one to the next.
    I like the globe warm...

If you live for people's acceptance you will die from their rejection.

Remember, no matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere is tired of her crap.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Rethmar Keep,
    Rethmar, Cannath Vale
    Late afternoon, 22 Mirtul
    1372 DR, Year of Wild Magic

Complication Pool: 4 of 6

Vokon, Arendi, Mikolt, Calyd, Pareto, Athelras

"Falspar," said Jarmaath, disguising a grin by rubbing at his short beard, "I imagine we could deal with this subject by addressing your payment for bringing this group to the rendezvous."
    Falspar's eyes narrowed. "My lord?"
    Jarmaath gestured to the centaur. "I accept that your efforts will require - expenses, to be met. Shall we say, two hundred gold to defray the cost of having saer Athelras attend upon you?"
    The half-orc appeared to be grinding every tooth except his two lower tusks. "That is most generous, my lord--"
    "But of course I cannot, as a matter of propriety and prudence, pay both expenses and reward. I'm fairly certain there is an ancient statute forbidding it. I am sure we can address it by, say, reducing the amount of your reward by the amount of expenses and paying that sum to Athelras presently?"
    Falspar stopped grinding his teeth, mainly because it looked as though he was about to object. But he again settled for putting the upper and lower sets of teeth together, and speaking from between them. "Yes. My lord."
    "Gan Ulverth - see to the expenses, if you please."

200 gold was paid to Athelras, and 300 to Falspar. The half-orc's polite bow to the Lord had more the look of a sportingly-defeated chess player than one of annoyance, and the half-orc turned to the party, joining them as they all headed more or less in the same direction out of the keep.

The sun had somehow grown warmer by the time they threaded their way through the streets to the western half of the city. The Stone Wyvern was an impressive two-storey inn built of beautifully-engineered adobe on Fisherman's Fortune, not far from the westernmost gate of Rethmar, the Elsir Gate. The exterior walls of the inn had been painted in riotous combination of red and blue. On entry it turned out the actual building was more a square structure around a central garden of scented flowers, with the common room being the garden itself. Canvas shade sails gently billowed high above, and the centrepiece of the garden was, finally, the petrified wyvern that had given the inn its name. The wyvern didn't have the expected snarling snout, but rather a perpetually petrified look of surprise.
    "This is Rethmar," grunted Falspar at the looks of some members of the circus regarding the garden-common room. The half-orc signalling for water and stronger drinks to a server clad in veil and robe. "Few things are quite as they first appear."
    They were seen to a long table; despite the swarming and movement on the streets, at this hour at least the Stone Wyvern's central space was quiet.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    What do you do?

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Pocketing the gold, Athelras nodded to Jarmaath and followed the rest of the group to the inn.
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2023-03-16 at 09:37 AM.
    I like the globe warm...

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

**Pareto**

Finally reunited with Lorenzo, his dog, Pareto moved through town with confidence next to his newly founded allies.
    He was a loudmouth, but the halfling in him made him gregarious; he felt well along this motley crew, he knew he’ll fit right in.

**I can’t contribute much to any gear right now. But I have some tricks down my sleeve and I’m an excellent diplomat. What exactly do we need from these elves?**

Once in the tavern, he pays a round of ale for everyone in party, and stares intently at anyone who even dares mocking the centaur trying to fit through the doors.

He asks for a large mug of hot tea for himself.

**What’s the plan?**

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Rethmar Keep,
    Rethmar, Cannath Vale

"I've no particular plan," said Falspar. The half-orc's strangely delicate hands reached out and picked up a date from the bowl which had been set on the table. "Only my - somewhat discounted - commission. We go to where I last saw the Tiri Kitor, and I return here. I'll not risk more expenses by bringing any of my guards with us; they'll be needed to guard my caravan's wares -- and Amyra, my assistant. I'll bring and water my own camel. We can go whenever you wish."

Show
    What do you do?

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmm, speaking of wares, do you know where to purchase some items that contain spells for weathering extreme environments?" asked the greywarden. "We don't have as many spellcasters to spare now."
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Pareto

Extreme weather? Are we going somewhere cold? I hate cold places.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Rethmar Keep,
    Rethmar, Cannath Vale

Falspar thought for a moment, the date pincered between two of his delicate fingers. "I don't carry that sort of thing myself, sadly. As for Rethmar, you're likely astute enough to have seen what's happening to trade in this city. People are afraid, some are leaving, some are stockpiling. All of which are bleeding the local markets white. I'd say we've only a week or so before outright panic buying sets in. That'll be when our archontes finally realises what's happening and he uses his powers as the Castellan of Rethmar Keep to commandeer anything not tied down for the city's defences. Once that happens it'll be shadow market prices through Rillor Paln's factors, or speaking nicely to our Lord Jarmaath, or nothing."

The half-orc chewed and swallowed the date before continuing. "I think you've got three or four options, and those are closing fast. Red Magic and Sundries might still be carrying something of the kind you're asking, but Immerstal the Red would've done a lot of business and chewed through a good fraction of his inventory when news of the Red Hand first broke here. And he'll be wanting to leverage his time for better returns than he'd normally get for turning out a twinkly twig. Besides, I don't like his quality that much."

"As I said, I don't carry items of that kind, but I could try to turn up some of my contacts who might still be here. It may well cost you a premium more, but I'm reasonably sure I could find you a wand somewhere before we leave."

"Or you could try heading over and trying your luck on The Saddle - it's a cul-de-sac off Dawn Street, where the caravans often stop to water," he added at looks of incomprehension from the circus. "If you were to catch someone willing to sell you something like that at probably an elevated price, that's the best place I could recommend."

"And there's also the temples. Camellia Drybarrel you met, and Mazrim Haskinar's head of the shrine to saer greywarden's god," said Falspar, nodding to Arendi. "But I'm uncertain whether either of them have acolytes who've trained in crafting those sorts of items. I don't believe either Camellia or Mazrim do. No, if there's any temple that might still have something like that, it's that great affront to architectural taste and restraint up on the hill -- Lathander's cathedral. The faith attracts the sort of gold to make a dwarf drool, and they did do some trade in items before all this got started."

Show
    What do you do?

9. - Top - End - #159
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    "This is Rethmar," grunted Falspar at the looks of some members of the circus regarding the garden-common room. The half-orc signalling for water and stronger drinks to a server clad in veil and robe. "Few things are quite as they first appear."
    I certainly hope so. Mikolt remarked under her breath; Jarmaath made a vry poor impression on her overall. But otherwise, she remained mostly silent as the others set out their agenda; she had plans of her own, and the expectation of what was to come the morning tomorrow occupied her thoughts almost completely. Even Pareto trying to buy her ale, of all things, only drew a wordless look of wounded confusion rather than a true glare from her.

The concluding words of Falspar's enumeration of possible sources for magical supplies, however, did catch her attention just fine. She wrinkled her nose irritably; that was another complication she certainly did not need. I have business thereabouts in the early hours. she said quickly, but (hopefully, she would surely want to add) not too quickly. If you trust me with the gold for it, I can try and make that purchase. the zenythri offered with infinite caution.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

”Once we conclude the shopping, what is the next course of action to be?”
    I like the globe warm...

11. - Top - End - #161
    Bugbear in the Playground

That's simple. We try to talk the elves into helping the city. Not just for our benefit, but for their own as well.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"What benefit does the city provide the elves?"
    I like the globe warm...

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Pareto.

The was good, but the half-orc was right, people’s eyes showed some nerves.

“I believe the benefit they get is that they get to fight these Hordes with allies and knowing it in advance. Instead of being steamrolled by surprise. Not that it is easy to surprise an elf.”

14. - Top - End - #164

Vokon nods at Pareto.

Indeed. The numbers of this army make it so that we NEED walls and to concentrate our forces to stand against them. Facing them piecemeal is asking to be defeated in detail.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Rethmar Keep,
    Rethmar, Cannath Vale

"I wonder whether they're already aware of the threat," mused Falspar into the conversation. "You took down a fairly significant hobgoblin outpost on a trail that passes right through the Lhespenbog. Even if they don't claim the trail as their territory I don't see how they wouldn't have known about the outpost at least. A curious puzzle."

Show
    What do you do?

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"More then likely they are aware. Whether they choose to do anything about it is another matter. Say, Falspar, might you know anyone adept at repairing or ... resizing... magical gear? I noted that the group seems to have an abundance of items they needed to offload and if I were able to have something fixed it could be beneficial to our cause."
    I like the globe warm...

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Pareto

Pareto ponders the information while sipping on his tea and lets his mind ramble around different ideas.

The elves are aware but don't care...

The elves have been obliterated and we are walking into a trap

This tea is good and I need a kettle for the trip

The elves may have somehow joined forces with the hobgoblins...

He chuckles at the last idea and comes out of his concentration...

If I learned something about elves is that they are slow thinkers when it comes down to threats. Their long lives make some threats look more trivial and banal than their really are... remind me of my dad's side of the family... we'll probably have to shake them off of their indifference

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

"Eh, the Council of the Ferry took some convincing as well too, it might not be just elves," commented Arendi. "Besides, they might not know that there's ten thousand hobgoblins and that's not counting the dragons."

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Pareto:

DRAGONS! That's a compelling argument if there ever was one! Just tell me there weren't any white dragons, I hate white dragons

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, the last one was green. No promises, though," replied the greywarden.

Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Rethmar Keep,
    Rethmar, Cannath Vale

"As for repairing magic items," said Falspar, in response to Athelras's question, "it depends on what type of item. Immerstal the Red can put a set of armor or a blade back together, but I vastly prefer the work of the armorer to the Lions of Rethmar - a Crinti, Kai Quessillar I think by name. But if it's something magical that needs leatherwork, or cloth or the like, then there is someone still here who I recommend. A woman named Atala - runs a textile house over on the other side of the city, on Sparrow Street. It's built on wool trading, but she made her first stake from her skill with a needle. I'd trust her with a cloak of resistance over anyone else in the entire city. But I don't know how long she's going to be in Rethmar, either."

Show
    What do you do?

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Many thanks Sir Falspar, we will defintely pay her a visit should the others decide to go there. Should we mention your name if we do?"
    I like the globe warm...

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Rethmar Keep,
    Rethmar, Cannath Vale

"If you wish," shrugged Falspar, "but she seems to enjoy the challenge as much as the coin. The only question is how long she'll be here."

Show
    What do you do?

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Pareto

The extreme manners of the Centaur marveled Pareto, who would have thought this massive warrior was going to be so softspoken. After learning the properties of the robe to be mended Pareto offers his bracers of armor in exchange to the group.

This is the sort of item I can use, and I won't bother too much right now in mending it, we may have little time and resources.

He finishes his tea and uses his fingers to clean the last drops of honey from the cup's bottom.

We should bring some tea and some of these dates, by Sharess, wonderful stuff!
    When are we planning to leave? After a few days in the cells I'm a bit restless for some good old fashioned goblin hunting

25. - Top - End - #175

Vokon looks from one face to the other.
    Arendi, is there anything we need that cannot be taken care of yet today? I know you've been looking into getting my malady cured after being attacked by the undead. I'm assuming that we will be coming back here at some point, so trying to get something commissioned may make a lot of sense if anyone has plenty of gold burning a hole in their pouch.

But I think I'm comfortable leaving tomorrow at first light if no one has any suggestions.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmm... now that I think of it, actually, we probably need something to handle dragons. Obviously a lot of preparations that work in general work on dragons too, but we might benefit a lot from specifically anti-dragon things as well," replied Arendi. "Most nets won't work on dragons, though... hmm. Oh, and probably marsh stuff as well. Can't forget that."

Extended sig here.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The talk about elves made Calyd a bit jittery, but nonetheless. Well, we know that they build a barricade yes, but perhaps it didn't bothered the elves? Why hinder something if it doesn't bother you in any way? There could be numerous reasons why they didn't attack the hobgoblins on the spot and definitely not all mean that they regard the hand as allies. We will only know when we take a look.

Calyd took a swig of the ale and relaxed his hands when it comes to talk about magic items. I'd like to visit Immerstal the Red anyway because of some weird stuff we found. Why don't you join me? I try to get us a good prize for the weather gear. I'm actually alright with a needle but I like to add embroidery to my clothing, not repairing magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Firbolg in the Playground

I cannot leave with the first light, if at all. Mikolt reminded Vokon once again, shifting on her seat as she all but exhaled the last few words, hoping to keep them beneath notice. We may as well let Calyd and the others make their rounds and resupply. With some luck, the fire-halfling would content himself with just that tea and kettle and would not try to add on an entire field kitchen.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Pareto

So, dragons, in plural as in many... Pareto had only faced a wyrmling blue dragon in the dunes of Calimsham, he knew very little about them other than they were big, smart, and the chromatic ones had elements that fit their color. He feared white dragons as frost harmed him most than anything else, but he also knew that he could deal them enough fire damage to keep a small one at bay.

I speak from ignorance, but aren't dragons of really keen intellect and sorted by element? As I see it, more than nets, we need ways of sneaking and a variety of ways to do elemental damage. I got Fire and Electricity cover, but we'd want something else too.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"You have the gist of it ... Pareto ... was it? They aren't particularly vulnerable to whatever happens to be the opposite of their breath weapons but they are resistance to what they breathe. In my experience, damage is damage and it all adds up, they are just smart like you said and very difficult to take down."
    I like the globe warm...