New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 3.5 OOC Thread III

Okay, so there are any runes left on this side of the battlefield? I think I can make it to the gate thanks to Longstrider, but I don't want to get slapped with another spell that completely invalidates my presence again.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Okay, so there are any runes left on this side of the battlefield? I think I can make it to the gate thanks to Longstrider, but I don't want to get slapped with another spell that completely invalidates my presence again.
    None on the south.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmmmmmmm. I think I should have line of sight to the ogre through the gateway if I move 50 ft. straight to the east. I kinda want to Ice Slick the ground under it, but knowing our luck it'd probably have five ranks in Balance. Maybe Shadow Garrote this round and move + standard action strike next round?

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Oh come on. One point away from hitting(at least on a baseline skullcrusher ogre)?!

Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh come on. One point away from hitting(at least on a baseline skullcrusher ogre)?!
    Doesn't the Bardic Inspiration bonus (+2) apply to the attack?

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Doesn’t that require concentration? Aeric did just cast a spell on me…

Edit: Oh, it lasts for five rounds after the bard stops playing. In which case DEUS MORTIS VULT
    Last edited by danielxcutter; 2022-11-29 at 05:06 AM.

Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Saintheart, I think that having to pull out the "take permanent penalties to NOT DIE" card three times just might be an indication these fights are kinda overtuned?!

Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Wait a moment, I though Vokon wasn't in full attack range? Because of the discussion before.

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Are you sure you want to move into full attack range for the ogre this round, with half hitpoints total?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aracor View Post
    Hmm... Fair enough. Probably not the best plan. Especially since I'd be losing a significant chunk of damage without the charge.
    I may be wrong here (I only skim the OOC posts after all).
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2022-11-30 at 09:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

And also I have Close Wounds. So unless the first hit dropped him to under -16 he wouldn't have kicked the bucket. And yes, that's explicitly allowed by that spell.

Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #130

And also I have Close Wounds. So unless the first hit dropped him to under -16 he wouldn't have kicked the bucket. And yes, that's explicitly allowed by that spell.
    Unfortunately, the second hit dropped him far enough down that even a max roll from Close Wounds wouldn't have saved him...However, I probably WOULD have tried harder to continue my charge if I was vulnerable to a full attack either way.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

It still didn't sound you would have been in full attack range from the way he worded it.

Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #132

It still didn't sound you would have been in full attack range from the way he worded it.
    I agree with that.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Would the first attack have killed him even with Close Wounds? I kinda doubt that.

Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #134

Would the first attack have killed him even with Close Wounds? I kinda doubt that.
    Unlikely. He didn't give me the individual damage totals, but based on the description, the first attack didn't even actually knock him down - but likely left him in single digit hit points. Which means the second attack basically took him from hurt but alive to dead dead DEAD dead.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Aracor View Post
    I agree with that.
    Have a look at the two map images. Post 32, Post 34.

Five foot step by the ogre puts him at 10 feet. Ogres have a 10 foot reach. Full attack takes place.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, but the way you said that very much implied that Vokon moving closer would put him into full attack range and would be safe otherwise. If it wasn't for that I think Aracor might have used that remaining space to move behind a box or something.

Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Firbolg in the Playground

(Looks like there's something of a conflict of expectations going on here. For my part, I will let it be known (full disclosure!) that at the get-go, this game appealed to me more than most for two reasons:
    1. we get to be overtuned, what with the free LA and the greenlight on all manners of wacky things – that the challenges themselves get cranked up one gear is something I understand to be a direct consequence of this; and
    2. this game is in hard mode – there are stakes and an actual risk of death that is far from cheap.

I came here fully aware that my crazy template heap of a character I liked building and love playing might die and I'm perfectly fine with that. Worst case scenario, I get to build some other unhinged crazy something something. Best case scenario? We'll soldier through this and I'll be proud of the achievement.

Meanwhile: lesson of the day: a 20' reach is only useful insofar as the person with it can actually hit things.)

18. - Top - End - #138

Yes, but the way you said that very much implied that Vokon moving closer would put him into full attack range and would be safe otherwise. If it wasn't for that I think Aracor might have used that remaining space to move behind a box or something.
    There is at least something to that. I would have definitely asked to activate a movement mode if I'd realized that I was effectively within melee range of it (or as I said, pushed harder to continue my charge and attack).

I'll definitely admit that I have some responsibility for this as well though. I could have double-checked the map state and realized that Vokon was still too close.
    Last edited by Aracor; 2022-11-30 at 03:31 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Risk of death certainly exists. Alastor has already died once but was basically saved by a minor miracle. Part of the reason he kept his distance for so long. I have been waiting for an opportunity to jump in with Cyzar, but all the action keeps being too far away from him. I'm sorry he hasn't been able to do much more than provide inspire courage via his cohort Aeric and heal up Arendi from 0 dex.
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I certainly understand the way people would be feeling; if in that situation I'd likely feel the same way.

I don't take it that anyone is suggesting I made some sort of deliberate implication that Vokon was safe for a round. That certainly was not my intention if that implication was left in place.

But I do take feedback into account, so rest assured I certainly will be following the outcome of this, good or bad.

I mean, I try not to go like this:

Spoiler
    Show

And I will try and aim more for this:

Spoiler
    Show

And look forward to being able to say this in response to your future efforts:

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Did Calyd's attack drop the Ogre? Depending on if it's still standing or not will impact what Keda does next: if it's still standing, he'll withdraw west into the compound and attack the ogre; if it's down he'll head out the southern entrance and attack a hobgoblin.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    Did Calyd's attack drop the Ogre? Depending on if it's still standing or not will impact what Keda does next: if it's still standing, he'll withdraw west into the compound and attack the ogre; if it's down he'll head out the southern entrance and attack a hobgoblin.
    In short, yes. It was enough to take the ogre down.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

At least that worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Well, we’ve probably won. So there’s that.

Also I have got to look into a way to getting rid of those penalties. Maybe my god has an idea for that.

Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #145

No falling damage and a critical threat! Let's see: (1d20+12)[31] to confirm for (2d10+14)[28] damage.

26. - Top - End - #146

Neat! Can I redirect the second attack (hopefully unneeded and it wouldn't connect with a 19 anyway) onto (checks map) H3?

27. - Top - End - #147

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Is that our first crit that wasn’t from Chatty?

Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, crap, that catches Mikolt in the range again.

To be fair, I'm kinda salty Vokon got ****canned for pretty much existing. Arendi is absolutely livid.

Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #150

Wait, crap, that catches Mikolt in the range again.

To be fair, I'm kinda salty Vokon got ****canned for pretty much existing. Arendi is absolutely livid.
    WHY DO YOU HATE HER SO MUCH? (The first one was good accidental RP though, as is this one. I just hope the two M. attacked are dead, because she can't really attack them on the ice without violating her code. And so much for AoOs too, I suppose.)

Also, Balance: (1d20+9)[12]
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-12-02 at 10:17 AM.