New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 3.5 OOC Thread III

Given that it's sunset, I say we get a couple of hours travel in while it's relatively cool, then rest. Plus, that bonfire could potentially attract some unwanted attention; best we put some distance between us and it.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Well, I'm not seeing a tremendous amount of objections either way here, so we'll take it from here that the circus transfers a couple of hours down the road before turning in. What are you doing with the hobgoblin prisoner? Is he being let go?

(Also, we'll rule that Aeric uses his artificer's monocle on the remaining magic items that haven't yet been identified. This brings the full sets of gear recovered to the following:)

12xRune of True Strike
    1xRune of Haste
    3xRune of Conviction CL 6
    1xRune of Divine Favor CL 9
    7xRune of Cure Moderate Wounds
    3xRune of Hunter’s Mercy
    1xPotion of Cure Serious Wounds (Arendi recognises this without a check.)
    2xRestful Armor Crystals (these were on the ogres' armor)
    2xSpiked Half Plate (Large)
    2xMorningstar (Large)
    2xMasterwork Broadblade Shortswords
    6xHandaxes
    6xLongbows
    2xCalled Full Plate +1. Called armor is armor that can be donned as a standard action a la Tony Stark's suits in Iron Man 3. Unfortunately, Aeric also discovers that these two sets of armor are specifically ensorcelled to only function for a hobgoblin wearer, meaning it's otherwise just plain old Masterwork Full Plate (and kind of chafes in the ... uh ... lower hips area, too). Which is to say that if sold it won't fetch full price that a normal set of armor would.
    6xStudded Leather Armor
    2xHeavy Steel Shield (Large)
    2xHeavy Steel Shield
    6xHeavy Wooden Shield
    2xCloaks of Resistance +1

6xBedrolls
    Inedible hobgoblin rations
    Flint & Tinder
    8xWaterskins
    Mundane knife x4
    3 rocks

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    What are you doing with the hobgoblin prisoner? Is he being let go?
    We absolutely shouldn't and M. will vehemently object if anyone suggests that – for whatever that's worth; as you put it yourself earlier, she's so stupidly Lawful that she'll pretty much accept what the Circus in general and Alastor in particular decide. There is, perhaps, a related, broader and more pressing point of contention: where's the party even headed now? Onwards after Saarvith or onwards to Rethmar?

12xRune of True Strike
    1xRune of Haste
    3xRune of Conviction CL 6
    1xRune of Divine Favor CL 9
    7xRune of Cure Moderate Wounds
    3xRune of Hunter’s Mercy
    Neat! Can I have some of the CMW runes? Mikolt's Fussy flaw means that she mixes poorly with potions.

1xPotion of Cure Serious Wounds (Arendi recognises this without a check.)
    2xRestful Armor Crystals (these were on the ogres' armor)
    Hah! I told you guys the ogres sleeping in armour is good news for us!

2xSpiked Half Plate (Large)
    2xMorningstar (Large)
    Do we have any reason not to sunder these and throw them into the bog?

Inedible hobgoblin rations
    Can the hobgoblin eat the inedible hobgoblin rations?

3 rocks
    I assume we're keeping these?

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

You can certainly grab some of the runes. The way Saintheart rules, you're allowed to activate multiple runes with the same standard action, so it's definitely advantageous to grab at least a couple of them.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

And you don't need UMD to activate them either. They're more like potions, not scrolls.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Just a head's up: I will be away on holiday for a few days and I don't know if I'll have internet access where I'm staying. If I don't post before then, everyone have a happy new year
    Last edited by Dexam; 2022-12-26 at 07:19 AM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Well folks, I hope the season was merry and featured lots of eating. :)

So getting back to this, whilst I can proceed on the basis that the party basically wanders back down the road for a couple of hours before camping for the night, what's going on with respect to:

(a) the hobgoblin prisoner you've got (yes, he can eat his own rations. No, 'inedible hobgoblin rations' does not mean the hobgoblin is edible under normal circumstances, but let's not raise that possibility again... and
    (b) what are you doing now, i.e. are you heading back to Rethmar or going to try and find Saarvith, as some suggested further up?

Once we've got a general sense of what people are doing with this, I can move on more fully.

8. - Top - End - #188

Well folks, I hope the season was merry and featured lots of eating. :)
    Why, yes, more than it should have, even! Allow me to express the same hopes!

(a) the hobgoblin prisoner you've got
    Drag the feller along all the way back to civilization, I say!

No, 'inedible hobgoblin rations' does not mean the hobgoblin is edible under normal circumstances, but let's not raise that possibility again...
    Well, the ones we roasted might be a tad overcooked at this point anyway.

(b) what are you doing now, i.e. are you heading back to Rethmar or going to try and find Saarvith, as some suggested further up?
    For the record, Mikolt would advocate backtracking for at least as long as a Rethmar patrol who can take over the prisoner is met. And, of course, she still wants to reach Rethmar as soon as possible for reasons (still, do note that in the strictest technical sense, her oath only binds her to the Circus until their shared destination is reached; we might need contingencies in place for that).

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Arendi doesn’t like the hobgoblin but isn’t going to murder him in cold blood either, especially since Mikolt wants to drop him off with the authorities(who will likely execute him anyways).

He’d say Rethmar first, then go hit the other gobbos if necessary. Don’t Mikolt and Vokon still have major Wisdom drain?

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #190

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Don’t Mikolt and Vokon still have major Wisdom drain?
    Yes, they still have their Wisdom drain, although only Vokon's is what I'd call major; Mikolt's four points lost are manageable.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Bugbear in the Playground

Vokon is cool with murdering him in cold blood. He tried to kill us. He lost. And he admitted that he'd try again if and when he gets back and gets re-armed.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Merryment and food has been had all around.

Regarding the prisoner: Calyd would kinda like to let him go, giving us kind of a morale victory. We are so powerful we can just let him go and don't have to worry about him, which may plant a seed of doubt in him when he have time to ponder getting back to his army. Though he may just be way to indoctrinated to harbor doubts.

Let's throw him to the nearest authorities, it's probaby easier that way.

Getting towards Rethmar is probably the faster approach, perhaps we can even find someone there that can get a message towards Saarvith.

Also what are the inedible hobgoblin rations? What does that entail? (rotten meat? Strange mushrooms?)

If no one has any objections Calyd is gonna bind our prisoner (he just takes 10 for a 15).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

I thought the joke was that "hobgoblin rations" meant eating him.

Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Okay, given what's been said I'm going to assume the hobgoblin at least makes it with you to your campsite for the night without being executed. This will be a couple of hours back southward down the trail.

In terms of procedures and housekeeping:

(1) Arendi prays for spells at sunset, so will need to pick his incantations again. Any other spells to be cast in the meantime, let me know.

(2) The party forages for food, but that's kind of tough to do in the nighttime hours. Even potable water's unable to be found: everyone fails their foraging rolls, meaning waterskins are emptied (Alastor has 2 of them, which goes to 1) and everyone consumes 1 trail ration. I make the ration counts after that to be:
    Keda: N/A
    Arendi: 7
    Alastor: 45
    Vokon: 15
    Calyd: 1
    Mikolt: 4

All waterskins are empty, as said.

(3) Whatever else happens, during the night the Complication Pool ticks over again, and so it's time to roll ...

Spoiler: For the drama
    Show

(1d6)[1]
    (1d6)[3]
    (1d6)[5]
    (1d6)[3]
    (1d6)[6]
    (1d6)[3]

EDIT: Oh dear. '1' result, so a Complication happens. I'll go and do an update now ...

15. - Top - End - #195

Oops, I suppose? It's a good thing Alastor's loud as all nine hells.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm... Keda doesn't need to sleep, though he does need to rest; did he notice anything?

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    Hmm... Keda doesn't need to sleep, though he does need to rest; did he notice anything?
    Not the hobgoblin's efforts to free himself, but we can say he's awake and sort-of meditating or similar and thus at least ready to go when the hobgoblin is first heard crashing through the trees beyond the campsite. So, yeah.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, rolling for health... should have done this earlier, but was preoccupied.

(1d8)[4]

Say, has my Dex been healed since?

Extended sig here.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Aeric I think healed you for 4 DEX damage if I remember right, but since he doesn't pray for spells at sundown that's likely all you get until sunup, absent natural healing that is.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Ah. I believe the proper response is "buggrit".

Hey, do I get my spells refreshed?

Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Ah. I believe the proper response is "buggrit".

Hey, do I get my spells refreshed?
    Yep, sunset passed so make new spell selections by all means.

22. - Top - End - #202

Has anyone seen King lately, by the way?

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I'll reach out and see.

In other unrelated news, the next monster you'll be facing will be called the HasbroWOTC, with a OGL 1.1 attack carrying a +200 bonus, doing 600d8 damage, and with an AC of "We want to create a fun and inclusive space where we can monetise the snot out of our userbase."

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

I'll reach out and see.

In other unrelated news, the next monster you'll be facing will be called the HasbroWOTC, with a OGL 1.1 attack carrying a +200 bonus, doing 600d8 damage, and with an AC of "We want to create a fun and inclusive space where we can monetise the snot out of our userbase."

Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #205

We should be fine. They have an incredibly thick skin, which is natural armour, so touch attacks should bypass it alright.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah but they also have a lot of money, so in legal courts they have an effect that duplicates Scintillating Scales and converts it into deflection.

Extended sig here.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

In other news involving something other than the potential obliteration of entire ecosystems of third party publishers, I haven't had any response back from A.A.King as yet, and he hasn't been online since early December by the look of it. Won't do anything dire just yet, but shall I take it from the group response that it's likely Keda will alert everyone, and go personally chasing after the hobgoblin into the jungle?

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

...Probably?

Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Calyd is ill equipped with following Keda and will ready himself when woken up. (He doesn't sleep in his armor should it come up, but if he's waken he puts it on). He then draws his glaive and casts a light spell on it, puts it in a blanket (to dampen the light) and waits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

30. - Top - End - #210

Let's do that for now, I say.