New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1270 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ZhonLord View Post
    This also means Serini probably assumed the Order destroyed the Gate for no reason as well, maybe even killed dorukan either by accident or intentionally. Which in turn gives more reason for her reluctance to respond to V's sendings.
    Nope. She knows Xykon killed him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    True, but he wanted Lirian to visit. That's just as much violating the oath.
    Yes, it is. The fact that Serini had to sneak in is, however, definitive proof that the Oath did not exist merely for the others to get rid of Soon.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Oh, I do love the callbacks!
    Plus baseball.
    Hope your break was enjoyable. We missed you Giant!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by yes View Post
    Not at all. At the time of the flashback she already had her altercation with Xykon, and Xykon was residing in Dorokon's dungeon. If she thought Dorukon was alive, she didn't realize she was getting so close to Xykon and risking being killed or taken captive.
    Dude, she tells Sunny she doesn't want Dorukan to notice them in his dungeon, therefore, she didn't know that Dorukan was already dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    True, but he wanted Lirian to visit. That's just as much violating the oath.
    So what? If the Oaths was just an excuse to get rid of Soon, he'd welcome Serini in. It looks like Soon was the only one who made absolutely no exception to the Oath, but they all broadly abided by it.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-11-12 at 10:42 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm glad the Giant got a break but I do hope that the plot can start moving again soon.

That said, this was a cute callback and Sunny continues to be adorable.

Edited: let a little too much frustration leak though.
    Last edited by Let'sGetKraken; 2022-11-12 at 10:46 AM.
    Loser of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms
    as
    The Astral Collective

Winner of Total War: Hanrui 3
    as
    The Four Courts of Hanrui/The Equinox League

Plausible Victor of Total War: Pricipia
    as
    The Chrysaorian Hegemony

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Haley does not strike me as the one or the other type. Both is the correct answer.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

I think it's still telling that none of them took the oath entirely seriously. Though it's possible that Dorukan used that age bonus to his Wisdom score to realize that continuing to completely flaunt the oath was a bit of a jackass thing to do, especially when Soon never broke it. Still, Lirian and Dorukan were still continuing their relationship, Girard setting his message trap to alert Serini, and Serini sneaking into Dorukan's Dungeon do show they didn't really care about the oath that much.

Also maybe Dorukan didn't want Serini on his premises for a reason outside the oath.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Dude, she tells Sunny she doesn't want Dorukan to notice them in his dungeon, therefore, she didn't know that Dorukan was already dead.
    Yes, that's what I'm saying. I'm confused about where the idea of her lying to sunny came from.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

This was remarkably fun. The plot did not advance, but it is nice to see Elan and Sunny together. They have a good chemistry together.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Let'sGetKraken View Post
    I'm glad the Giant got a break but I do hope that the plot can start moving again soon.

That said, this was a cute callback and Sunny continues to be adorable.

Edited: let a little too much frustration leak though.
    I don’t want to be negative, either, but this update was basically filler.
    It does remind me of the other baseball references in the series, including the mascot golem.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Actually the "Serini didn't give a crap about the oath" might just provide an easy segway into her talking about the Scribblers.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    1. In the last few weeks, the Philadelphia Phillies and the Houston Astros were in the World Series. (Astros won 4-2). One of their best hitters (the Phillies) is Bryce Harper - he bats left handed. I suspect that may have informed the side of the plate Sunny was hitting from. (Rich is from Philly). That choice may also have been made for artistic reasons in re faces to the front for the panels. "and Treasure".
    "Kind of overdid it on the bat flip" is most likely a reference to Phillies' player Rhys Hoskins spiking the bat (seen here at 0:04), which has become something of a meme in baseball circles, apparently?
    Last edited by Halghare; 2022-11-12 at 11:11 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

That was a fun callback! To think what could have been if the Order had actually called her back. It also puts into perspective how much the art style has grown in 18 years.

Peelee’s Lotsey

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by yes View Post
    Yes, that's what I'm saying. I'm confused about where the idea of her lying to sunny came from.
    Okay, re-reading our conversation, I realize I completely misunderstood what you were saying in the first post. My bad. Apologies.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just realized this means Serini wasn't aware that Dorukan was already dead at the time.
    I love stories that thread together elements that were going on all along, and the partaker doesn't realize it until well after the fact (if at all). And even stories where it might not've been the intent all along, but it's at least a well-played device to make you think about all the things you didn't know or took for granted. (^_^) <3
    ~~~

Quote Originally Posted by ZhonLord View Post
    This also means Serini probably assumed the Order destroyed the Gate for no reason as well,
    Well, actually...

maybe even killed dorukan either by accident or intentionally. Which in turn gives more reason for her reluctance to respond to V's sendings.
    Interesting points. Someone asserted* earlier that Serini (now) knows Xykon killed Dorukan, but first impressions linger. If one of us were in a store (where our friend worked in a back office) an hour before it blew up and killed everyone therein, and we thought the explosion killed our friend... even if we found out later that someone had killed our friend beforehand, we'd still have a lot of lingering ill will toward whoever set off the explosion.

Also I half-wonder if the Giant might've intended us to re-examine the morality of Elan's decision. Not only was he killing the presumably-monstrous remaining inhabitants for lulz, for all he knew then he might've been killing Dorukan or any other good employees who we never saw.

* - I believe it to be true, but I was too lazy to verify it because it matches what I think I remember, thus "asserted"
    ~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Halghare View Post
    "Kind of overdid it on the bat flip" is most likely a reference to Phillies' player Rhys Hoskins spiking the bat (seen here at 0:04), which has become something of a meme in baseball circles, apparently?
    Not to mention the interspherical violence. What he did to that poor ball was cold-blooded murder. XD

(Or as I've heard other fans say in similar circumstances, jeez Rhys - that ball had a wife and kids, you know!)
    Last edited by arimareiji; 2022-11-12 at 12:07 PM. Reason: minor refactors
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

15. - Top - End - #45

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Yes, it is. The fact that Serini had to sneak in is, however, definitive proof that the Oath did not exist merely for the others to get rid of Soon.
    Just a random thought; what do we know about the Oath that isn't from Soon?

My thought is what Soon held as an Oath was either a) just a suggestion to the others or b) something the other Scribblers made Soon swear to stop him interfering with the gates. The other Scribblers could maintain some kind of relationship without talking shop, but Soons rigidity made even cordiality impossible.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Well, that's confirmation that Sunny was indeed the Beholder from 1238 strips ago. RIP, horned bugbear theory, you weren't really credible anymore anyway.
    Now that's some call back.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Concrete evidence that Soon was the only one who gave half a deep-fried tanar’ri turd about the oath, in letter as well as in spirit.

Really it does seem even more likely that it was just an excuse to kick him out of the party. At least, Serini herself might not have intended that but that’s essentially how it turned out.

Yeesh.
    Disbanding a party to kick one person out of it seems like overkill to me.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

18. - Top - End - #48
    Colossus in the Playground

Interesting that, back then, Serini didn't know Xykon Dorukan was dead even some 6 months after he Xykon had killed him and moved in to the Dungeon, but that she does know by the time she first talks to O-Chul and Lien. Perhaps a bit of investigation behind the scenes?
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2022-11-12 at 02:19 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

19. - Top - End - #49
    Pixie in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: OOTS #1270 - The Discussion Thread

Well, that's confirmation that Sunny was indeed the Beholder from 1238 strips ago. RIP, horned bugbear theory, you weren't really credible anymore anyway.
    nice catch, Fyraltari.. and thanks for making the first post the most helpful for the rest of us!
    Last edited by shmeck; 2022-11-12 at 12:35 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Interesting that, back then, Serini didn't know Xykon was dead even some 6 months after he moved in to the Dungeon, but that she does know by the time she first talks to O-Chul and Lien. Perhaps a bit of investigation behind the scenes?
    Nah, she always knew Xykon was dead. He's just not dead enough for her comfort.
    Quote Originally Posted by shmeck View Post
    nice catch, Fyraltari.. and thanks for making the first post the most helpful for the rest of us!
    Well, It's not really my find. The commentary (I think?) of the last book stated that this one would feature an important ally who had only appeared for one panel so far. People started guessing that was Sunny as soon as they were visible. My own guess was it would be this bugbear, who had already shown up somewhat prominently in a wide shot.
    Forum Wisdom

21. - Top - End - #51

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Just a random thought; what do we know about the Oath that isn't from Soon?

My thought is what Soon held as an Oath was either a) just a suggestion to the others or b) something the other Scribblers made Soon swear to stop him interfering with the gates. The other Scribblers could maintain some kind of relationship without talking shop, but Soons rigidity made even cordiality impossible.
    Yeah, no. Serini was
    1. evidently aware that she had no business being anywhere near Dorukan's and
    2. clearly in no contact of any regularity with the wizard, given that she learned about his death more than half a year after the fact.
    Further, by his own admission, Girard withheld the coordinates of his Gates from all Scribblers excepting Serini. Those explanations of yours don't quite add up and "there was an Oath, but most Scribblers played loose with it" explains what we've seen so far way better.

Interesting that, back then, Serini didn't know Dorukan was dead even some 6 months after he moved in to the Dungeon, but that she does know by the time she first talks to O-Chul and Lien. Perhaps a bit of investigation behind the scenes?
    Well, Dorukan's Gate blowing up (which she would notice sooner than later) had a tendency to prompt such investigations. The Guard did their own as well.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-11-12 at 12:46 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Disbanding a party to kick one person out of it seems like overkill to me.
    It's one way to get rid of the annoying roommate whose name is on the lease. Break the lease (or fail to renew it), everyone supposedly goes their separate ways, everyone except the annoying one ends up back on a new lease at the old location.

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    everyone except the annoying one ends up back on a new lease at the old location.
    Which never happened from what we've been shown so far (v. above). That analogy is not applicable.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

It still effectively became a way to kick Soon out of their social circles entirely. There was at least minimal and sometimes less minimal contact between the other Scribblers. Girard probably withheld his coordinates from the others because… well, he’s Girard, the Paranoid Jackass. He seems even worse than Ian, actually.

Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

I think there's a really simple explanation as to why Soon took the Oath the most seriously:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Paladin

Also, I think it's telling that despite Serini, Shojo, the Draketooths and Dorukan being alerted to the fall of Lirian's Gate, Xykon could lay siege to Dorukan's Dungeon for months without Serini or the Draketooths meaning any known attempt to help. Dorukan did not ask for help and no one checked regularly enough to notice he might need any.
    Forum Wisdom

26. - Top - End - #56
    Colossus in the Playground

Nah, she always knew Xykon was dead. He's just not dead enough for her comfort.
    Sorry, I meant Dorukan.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2022-11-12 at 01:07 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting that, back then, Serini didn't know Xykon Dorukan was dead even some 6 months after he moved in to the Dungeon, but that she does know by the time she first talks to O-Chul and Lien. Perhaps a bit of investigation behind the scenes?
    I sure hope she didn't expect him to die six months after moving in his own dungeon.
    Sorry, I meant Dorukan.
    I know, I'm just messing with ya.
    Forum Wisdom

28. - Top - End - #58
    Pixie in the Playground

Still not into that theory, I guess it's stopped being a theory with this page, because that one line of dialogue doesn't make much of a character. But that's just my opinion. Good comic.

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    It still effectively became a way to kick Soon out of their social circles entirely. There was at least minimal and sometimes less minimal contact between the other Scribblers.
    No contact between Girard and anyone not called Serini; no contact between Serini and Dorukan (she was actively trying to avoid him while scrounging through his place) or Lirian (her entourage was more directly loyal to her, personally, so I don't think Serini raided the Glade for monsters) – it was ultimately just Dorukan and Lirian (for obvious reasons) plus Serini and Girard (for whatever reason; possibly one-sided), so far as social contact goes.

Girard probably withheld his coordinates from the others because… well, he’s Girard, the Paranoid Jackass. He seems even worse than Ian, actually.
    Well, Ian did not set up a cult of personality kidnapping infants, so… Understatement of the week, I suppose?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandrite View Post
    Still not into that theory, I guess it's stopped being a theory with this page, because that one line of dialogue doesn't make much of a character. But that's just my opinion. Good comic.
    Eh, it was never going to be anything huge. The Giant was all but telegraphing that he's mostly just trolling the curious lot of us.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-11-12 at 02:43 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandrite View Post
    The exact wording is

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Someone who has appeared in exactly one (1) page of the story so far (including all the prequel stories) will become an important ally in the first half of the next book.
    Nothing about how many lines of dialogue they had, or how important a character they were (the word "character" isn't even used).

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    1. In the last few weeks, the Philadelphia Phillies and the Houston Astros were in the World Series. (Astros won 4-2). One of their best hitters (the Phillies) is Bryce Harper - he bats left handed. I suspect that may have informed the side of the plate Sunny was hitting from. (Rich is from Philly). That choice may also have been made for artistic reasons in re faces to the front for the panels.
    I didn't even think of that as a reference, possibly because baseball players have a higher percentage of left-handers among them than the general population does. Is Rich left-handed? That's the first thing that came to mind for me. Also, as a left-hander, I appreciate the representation.

Quote Originally Posted by Halghare View Post
    I didn't even know it was a meme. I just thought it was funny because I know what a bat flip is and nobody ever thinks about the consequences of flipping a sentient bat.