New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1270 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    No no no, it’s wizards that have no sense of right or wrong!
    I feel that you're being somewhat unfair there!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

It's pretty clear why Serini didn't want Dorukan to know she's there - and it's not the oath - it's what she actually says : She's poaching monsters from his dungeon to join her. She's literally robbing him. Obviously he wouldn't like that.

As for the notion that they invented the oath to kick Soon out, it doesn't seem logical. Girard expected Soon to break his oath, that was the whole point of his bet with Serini and the hologram in the desert.

To paraphrase Haley here, Girard had no idea how a Paladin's mentality works, or he wouldn't make that bet. So assuming they made the oath expecting a paladin to be the only one to keep his end seems illogical.

What would be the point of doing it to him if you expect him to break it?

The point of the oath, based at least on what the crayon story showed us, was that the party couldn't stop fighting after Kraggor's death. So they made the oath as a way of splitting up peacefully. It was basically teacher's way of separating children who fight each other.

It is pretty much given that those of them who had no quarrel with each other would still be in touch - like Dorukan and Lirian.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

“Girard” and “logical” require interplanar travel to connect, so.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Serini may have been poaching monsters from Dorukon's dungeon because she knew Dorukon had been defeated. It would have been beneficial to recruit them before Xykon could, at the least, and to remove them as obstacles before adventurers killed them while going after Xykon.
    If childlike Sunny didn't know that Papa Dorukon was dead, Serini may have simply lied to him to avoid a grief-stricken child trying to get revenge on his killer

5. - Top - End - #95

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Serini may have been poaching monsters from Dorukon's dungeon because she knew Dorukon had been defeated. It would have been beneficial to recruit them before Xykon could, at the least, and to remove them as obstacles before adventurers killed them while going after Xykon.
    If childlike Sunny didn't know that Papa Dorukon was dead, Serini may have simply lied to him to avoid a grief-stricken child trying to get revenge on his killer
    Yeah, Dorukan and Serini/Sunny had tea every other week. That's what made the "lie" that Dorukan wouldn't want them "snooping around" in his dungeon believable.

6. - Top - End - #96

Quote Originally Posted by SlashDash View Post
    As for the notion that they invented the oath to kick Soon out, it doesn't seem logical. Girard expected Soon to break his oath, that was the whole point of his bet with Serini and the hologram in the desert.
    The bet's with his family, not with Serini.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebob View Post
    See, this is exactly why i come to these forums: in depth discussion of left handed instruments.
    As someone who played a large brass instrument in school, all string instruments have it easy since you can breathe while playing.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

you would say they are morally ambidextrous?

8. - Top - End - #98

Oh my northern gods the callback to Strip 32 is perfect!
    [/late to the party]

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    That would be having no sense of right and left.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ff7hero View Post
    I don't have a horse in this race, but I feel compelled to point out that Dorukon's Dungeons wasn't necessarily her only source of monsters.
    We saw her taking delivery of a bunch of purple worms, so probably not. Assuming the accuracy of the crayon drawing, of course, and that she didn't somehow nick the worms herself but had them delivered by other people.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

confused Re: OOTS #1270 - The Discussion Thread

Dear forumites, there is something I am missing.

• Serini knows that Xykon killed Dorukan (at least, she does now).
    • This should have happened 6 months before OOTS entered the dungeon (right? I have this recollection from some of the prequel books?).
    • However, Serini mentions Dorukan in the last comic. It's like she hasn't discovered it yet?

Am I forgetting some important information, or could this be the hook for a new backstory exposition?

Thanks
    Last edited by Rinazina; 2022-11-13 at 12:29 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Colossus in the Playground

The last but one panel of this comic is a flashback. In that flashback Serini is not yet aware that Dorukan is dead.

At some point after that, she discovered Xykon killed him. Hence her mentioning that Xykon killed Dorukan and Lirian, here:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1249.html
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

13. - Top - End - #103

Precisely. It's nothing outlandish, really. I mean, the guy's own employees weren't sure whatever became of him shortly before Xykon moved in.

14. - Top - End - #104

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Thanks, it's been a while since I've seen even a moderately-clever malapropist joke outside of a Weird Al video. (^_~)b
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Rinazina View Post
    Dear forumites, there is something I am missing.

• Serini knows that Xykon killed Dorukan (at least, she does now).
    • This should have happened 6 months before OOTS entered the dungeon (right? I have this recollection from some of the prequel books?).
    • However, Serini mentions Dorukan in the last comic. It's like she hasn't discovered it yet?

Am I forgetting some important information, or could this be the hook for a new backstory exposition?

Thanks
    Basically, she didn't discover Durokan was dead until at least 6 months after the Order showed up in his dungeon.

It's entirely possible that she discovered it while raiding his dungeon for monsters, in fact.

She presumably thought that all of the goblins and monsters running around worked for Durokan, and only later discovered they served Xykon.

I can imagine her spying on the dungeon, seeing a bunch of monsters running around, and thinking to herself that Durokan has decided to beef up security and that she wants a slice of that action, unaware of the terrible truth until it was much too late.
    Last edited by masamune1; 2022-11-13 at 02:21 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106

HalflingRogueGuy

I think it's still telling that none of them took the oath entirely seriously. Though it's possible that Dorukan used that age bonus to his Wisdom score to realize that continuing to completely flaunt the oath was a bit of a jackass thing to do, especially when Soon never broke it. Still, Lirian and Dorukan were still continuing their relationship, Girard setting his message trap to alert Serini, and Serini sneaking into Dorukan's Dungeon do show they didn't really care about the oath that much.

Also maybe Dorukan didn't want Serini on his premises for a reason outside the oath.
    Well, the totally jackass thing to do was obviously following the oath to the letter.
    Dorukan dating Lirian, Serini sneaking, or Girard sending messages didn't endanger the gates in any way.

While the SG, being so "honorable to the letter", kind of "created" Redcloak.
    Last edited by Vikenlugaid; 2022-11-13 at 03:18 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by masamune1 View Post
    I can imagine her spying on the dungeon, seeing a bunch of monsters running around, and thinking to herself that Durokan has decided to beef up security and that she wants a slice of that action, unaware of the terrible truth until it was much too late.
    And then having to GTFO once Elan tripped the self destruct button. Which was only a day or so after that strip? She and Sunny either were almost done and left before Elan did the stupid thing, or, she and Sunny heard the rumbling and got the heck out. Which might mean that she has one more thing that annoys here about the Order: they showed her how stupid, collectively, they are with that dumb stunt.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-11-13 at 03:26 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Well, that's confirmation that Sunny was indeed the Beholder from 1238 strips ago. RIP, horned bugbear theory, you weren't really credible anymore anyway.
    horned bugbear theory???? that sounds hilarious
    my avatar is my gaian avatar, it changes whenever i change on gaia.

^ help the order of the stick wiki out? ^

RIP grandmom 1931-2020 T_T
    RIP rocky the pug 2012-2022...

19. - Top - End - #109

In a wizard battle, is not a matter of who is right, but who is left.

Disintegrate + gust of wind.
    Last edited by faustin; 2022-11-13 at 05:33 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110

Quote Originally Posted by Vikenlugaid View Post
    Well, the totally jackass thing to do was obviously following the oath to the letter.
    Dorukan dating Lirian, Serini sneaking, or Girard sending messages didn't endanger the gates in any way.

While the SG, being so "honorable to the letter", kind of "created" Redcloak.
    Those things don't actually follow at all from one another.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Basically, she didn't discover Durokan was dead until at least 6 months after the Order showed up in his dungeon.
    Source for this?

It's entirely possible that she discovered it while raiding his dungeon for monsters, in fact.

She presumably thought that all of the goblins and monsters running around worked for Durokan, and only later discovered they served Xykon.
    Does this not contradict the first quoted statement?

Is there information to support this? Or is it simply imagination-based?

Why is it not possible that she knew Dorukon was dead, and took advantage of the situation to recruit more monsters? Serini is known to lie when it suits her, and not telling the child-like Sunny her boss was murdered is a lie of kindness.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Source for this?
    The comic.

No, it doesn't.

Why is it not possible that she knew Dorukon was dead, and took advantage of the situation to recruit more monsters? Serini is known to lie when it suits her, and not telling the child-like Sunny her boss was murdered is a lie of kindness.

I literally said "I can imagine", so obviously I'm just speculating.

It's possible she was lying, but the obvious interpretation is that she thought Dorukan was still alive as that is how she phrased it.

There wouldn't be much reason for her to lie about this. Sunny would be on-board with rescuing monsters from Xykon after all.

Up to Rich to confirm or deny any of this either way.

23. - Top - End - #113

Source for this?

I think the intent of their statement is 6 months after (he died when) the Order showed up in his dungeon, but it's a little bit unclear from the way it was written

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Anyways the implication is that she didn't learn that Dorukan had croaked at that point. Which means it was relatively recent.

Hmm. That does explain why her caster friends getting murdered by Xykon was such a big thing beyond the obvious. For her, Dorukan at least is a very fresh wound.

Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    That was a fun callback! To think what could have been if the Order had actually called her back. It also puts into perspective how much the art style has grown in 18 years.
    Holy crap! I've been reading this story for 18 years!

This is awesome. Thanks so much, Giant, for this story. I can't wait (but clearly, can and will wait) to see how it resolves, and also kind of hope it never ends.

-Ozmar the Patient
    Member of the Miko Miyazaki Fan Club since #406.

RIP Miko: She always did what she thought was good, whatever the cost.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Anyways the implication is that she didn't learn that Dorukan had croaked at that point. Which means it was relatively recent.
    That's the part my question was about. What source do we have to support the idea that Serini didn't know Dorukon had died? Serini was an epic rogue moving around in a dungeon at least nominally under Xykon's control. Play the character yourself: how would you not know about Xykon? She already knew that Lirian's gate had been destroyed. Why would she not check in on her old buddy to talk about it?

At the time of the flashback panel she was talking to Sunny, a child-like being. If Sunny didn't know at that point that Dorukon was dead, what effect would that have had? Perhaps Sunny would have taken it well, or perhaps she would have had a full tantrum right there and went floating off to attack the lich who killed Pop. Why not get her away from the dangerous lich first?

I think Serini knew. That was why she was there: to see what was going on. Opportunism and kindness lead her to recruit the monsters she could before they became minions of Xykon, or dead. Even if that meant telling a lie to a child for her own good.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

That's the part my question was about. What source do we have to support the idea that Serini didn't know Dorukon had died?
    Well, I think people can infer she didn't know he was dead because she speaks about him in the present tense. "We need to recruit more monsters before Dorukan finds out we're snooping as usual in his dungeon." Also it's not spelled Dorukon.
    Shh! I'm hiding.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, if she knew Dorukan was dead and Xykon was near she’d probably be freaking out a bit? Also as mentioned earlier the man’s own employees didn’t know he was dead for a while.

Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Concrete evidence that Soon was the only one who gave half a deep-fried tanar’ri turd about the oath, in letter as well as in spirit.

Really it does seem even more likely that it was just an excuse to kick him out of the party. At least, Serini herself might not have intended that but that’s essentially how it turned out.

Yeesh.
    Yeah, I'm sure we'll hear a bit more about Soon's shortcomings in future scenes, but I'm pretty annoyed that even the woman who proposed the "go our separate ways" plan violated it.

I know these were flawed, traumatized people, but it sucks that they all deliberately weakened their defenses by compartmentalizing each gate, and the only one who took that separation seriously is the one who takes the most scorn and criticism from the rest of the party.

To paraphrase Roy: what the hell happened to these people?

Quote Originally Posted by NCat View Post
    its absolutely fascinating to see a view of the early chapters with the newer artstyle, though I wonder if it would be funny for if in the flashback for the dungeon and gang be depicted with the old artstyle, while sunny and serini in the new style x)
    I believe rich has said it causes him emotional pain to go back to the old art style in those few moments he needs to. Having read some of my own writing from 10 years ago, I know how embarrassing reviewing your own past work can be!

30. - Top - End - #120

I mean, if she knew Dorukan was dead and Xykon was near she’d probably be freaking out a bit? Also as mentioned earlier the man’s own employees didn’t know he was dead for a while.
    If she knew Xykon was around the place, I can't imagine she'd have gone anywhere near it. She has other resources for getting monsters than nicking Dorukan's, and she wouldn't have risked not only her own life but Sunny's.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    I believe rich has said it causes him emotional pain to go back to the old art style in those few moments he needs to. Having read some of my own writing from 10 years ago, I know how embarrassing reviewing your own past work can be!
    Sometimes I feel the same way. But a couple of times, I've encountered some bit of writing on-line that I've particularly liked, as it perfectly tweaked my sense of humour or approached a problem in an especially elegant way. And when I looked into it more deeply, discovered that I'd written it myself a decade or two earlier, and had utterly forgotten about.
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2022-11-14 at 11:41 AM.