New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Cosmic Fudge

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Default Cosmic Fudge

So, I discovered Fudge about a week ago. I played around with character creation for Fantasy Fudge, set up a half decent Western framework, and generally experimented with the system. Well, this coincided with another topic that's been making my brain itch: cosmic scale reality warpers. Cosmic Cubes, 5th Dimensional Imps, Beyonders, etc. So, naturally, I started thinking about how to make Fudge work for a game at that scale. This is just the first draft I forged up within about fifteen minutes this evening, just to put ideas on digital paper. Let me know what you think.

[Also note that the "official" name of this project is "Lords of the Multiverse" and I use that name in the document I'm copy and pasting this out of.]

Attributes
    There are three main attributes in the standard Lords of the Multiverse framework: Destruction, Creation, and Alteration. Destruction measures a character’s ability to damage something, Creation measures the ability to create something from nothing, and Alteration measures the ability to warp something that already exists into something else. Anything that is not deemed suitably epic is assumed to be an automatic success. Due to the incredibly high power of the characters, these things could be considered godlike to normal humans; shooting destructive energy to kill a dozen humans, for instance, would require no rolls, nor would conjuring a sword from thin are or turning a ball of lead into an equal mass of gold. Something like creating or destroying a planet might only be a fair roll, as would altering the fundamental nature of that planet. If the difficulty of the task drops below the relevant attribute minus 2, the no roll is needed, and success is automatic. So, a character with superb Creation could create a planet without needing to roll. During character creation, a player has three free ranks to spread amongst these attributes as they deem fit. An attribute starts at the default of fair.

Skills
    The default assumption of a Lords of the Multiverse game is that there are no skills. However, an individual GM can use skills to supplement or replace the attributes listed above.

Gifts
    Characters will typically not start the game with any gifts. GMs may alter this to their taste.

Faults
    Characters will typically start with two faults.

Trading
    You can gain more ranks in your attributes by either taking additional faults beyond what the GM requires or by reducing the rank of another attribute.

Scale
    The players’ characters are so far beyond the typical human scale that quantifying such a scale is pointless. It can be assumed nothing a human or similar mortal being does can harm them. By the same token, any actions the characters take against regular mortals are pretty much guaranteed to succeed. Beings of higher scales are possible, however. For every scale above zero, the scale’s benefits apply to all aspects of the character. So, a standard PC of scale 0 might be able to create a planet on a fair Creation roll, while a scale 1 character could do that on what is to them a mediocre roll.

Combat
    Combat functions are per Fudge default, with offensive factors being determined by the Destruction skill and defensive matters being handled by the defender’s choice of Creation or Alteration. Additionally, the wound track is expanded to include six scratch boxes, three hurt boxes, and two very hurt boxes.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Cosmic Fudge

This sounds really fun. I'd love to play this. Definitely maxing out alteration.
    Just a note i got adhd and autism.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Ameraaaaaa View Post
    This sounds really fun. I'd love to play this. Definitely maxing out alteration.
    Thanks! It was actually surprisingly easy to make this, because, if characters can do anything, you only need to set up a loose framework for determining how. I'm glad you like it, and Alteration is also my favorite stat!
    Last edited by MutantDragon; 2022-11-13 at 08:52 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Yeah. This might be fun to play with my lil bro tbh. Let's see what an 11 year old does with unfathomable power.

Also this can be really fun for playing cosmic characters from superhero settings like the silver surfer or the beyonder. Fighting glactous as a final boss can be cool.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Yeah. This might be fun to play with my lil bro tbh. Let's see what an 11 year old does with unfathomable power.

Also this can be really fun for playing cosmic characters from superhero settings like the silver surfer or the beyonder. Fighting glactous as a final boss can be cool.
    That sounds like it'll be fun. Interestingly enough, playing Marvel characters like the Beyond is exactly why I wanted to make this. I was looking into Post-Retcon beyond and the Cosmic Cubes recently and it's been itching away in my brain.

6. - Top - End - #6

Just thinking. Since this is homebrew shouldn't you put this in the homebrew section? You might get more responses there.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

You know what? You're right! I really should put this in the homebrew section!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Great Modthulhu: Ta-da!

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Great Modthulhu: Ta-da!
    Actually they already made a post in homebrew. But this is good. Thanks mod

10. - Top - End - #10

I'm actually thinking of using a even more rules light version of this for playing with my little brother

Both because i don't fully understand what each of the scale means and because i just love the paper free rpg system so much as a fan of rules light gaming. (The name comes from the fact it was made for when paper isn't available thus meaning it must be really rules light. The designer Nathan Russell did a really good job. )

Basically it's the same as paper free rpg but you wan one of the 3 stats as what your good at and one you are bad at. The former gives advantage and the latter gives disadvantage.

Anyways looking forward to the full version of cosmic fudge developing. Feel free to update us on it's develop it. If you want to play test it you can always look for a game in these forums

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

I'm actually thinking of using a even more rules light version of this for playing with my little brother

Both because i don't fully understand what each of the scale means and because i just love the paper free rpg system so much as a fan of rules light gaming. (The name comes from the fact it was made for when paper isn't available thus meaning it must be really rules light. The designer Nathan Russell did a really good job. )

Basically it's the same as paper free rpg but you wan one of the 3 stats as what your good at and one you are bad at. The former gives advantage and the latter gives disadvantage.

Anyways looking forward to the full version of cosmic fudge developing. Feel free to update us on it's develop it. If you want to play test it you can always look for a game in these forums
    Cool! Let me know how it works out, and thanks for the offer. I haven't spent much time on the project this week, but I hope to get some more development in. Again, thanks for the support.