New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Did any "classic" 8-bit CPUs have an integer multiply instruction?

Did any of the "classic" 8-bit processors have an instruction to do 8-bit integer multiplication?
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Did any "classic" 8-bit CPUs have an integer multiply instruction?

I don't see it in the instruction sets for the 8080, the Z80, or the 6502. The manual for at least one of those describes how to do integer multiplication using bit tests, shifts, and adds.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

So far, the earliest "popular" CPUs used in consumer products to have an unsigned integer multiplication instruction I've found are the 16-bit 8086 and the 16/32-bit 68000. I've just been blindly looking at individual processor specs, though. I don't have any particular expertise to help me find a good answer quickly.
    Last edited by gomipile; 2022-11-15 at 10:57 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

An 8-bit instruction set is inherently very limited, and so is the hardware it runs on. I think there's a good chance that what you're looking for doesn't exist.

(I learned machine code programming on a Z80. It's been a while since I've given the subject much thought, but I can still say with confidence that if you wanted to multiply something on that platform, you had to go a long way around.)
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    (I learned machine code programming on a Z80. It's been a while since I've given the subject much thought, but I can still say with confidence that if you wanted to multiply something on that platform, you had to go a long way around.)
    Unless, of course, you wanted to multiply by two, in which case you had lots of instructions to do it...

(The shift instructions do just that - otherwise there's two pages of routines in the Z80 handbook I just checked, and I can't get to the other Z80 handbook as its on a lower shelf behind the TV and assorted junk from my in-law's place)
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I asked here:

http://www.yakyak.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=89152

The answer seems to be a pretty near definitive "No".
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Later in the same thread, we got:

Quote Originally Posted by gravy
    6809 does have MUL of two 8-bit registers to a 16 bit result and takes 10/11 cycles.

It's such an excellent processor.

Which is a Yes. So that's a 180 degree turn.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2022-11-29 at 02:01 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.