New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Question Master of Words - Trying to build a feat (opinions welcome)

I like the Command spell, and when I noticed it's one of the option for the fey touched feat, I started wondering... What if it was the main focus/only focus of such a feat?

The main section of the feat would read:

Master of Words
    You have an affinity with the language of magic, granting you the following benefits:
    • You learn the command spell. You can cast this spell without expending a spell slot. Once you've cast this spell a proficiency mod amount of times in this way, you can't cast that spell in this way again until you finish a long rest. You can also cast this spell using spell slots you have of the appropriate level. Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma is your spellcasting ability for this spell when you cast it with this trait (choose when you select this feat).

But that alone, is probably not enough for the feat. It starts of rather weak compared to fey touched/shadow touched. Even though it keeps growing in power, where they are stagnant.
    So below I've made a few possible things to add to the above point. But I'm not really sure which (combination) would be a good fit.

Make it a half feat:
    • Increase your Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma by 1, to a maximum of 20. And replace the selection of a casting stat with "The spell's spellcasting ability is the ability increased by this feat."

Reasoning: Simple, clean, basically intended to mirror the touched feats.

Grant a boost in your non magical talking:
    • You gain proficiency in either Deception, Intimidation or Persuasion. If you are already proficient in all 3, you can select one skill that you are not yet proficient in.

Reasoning: Not everything needs to be magic to be magical (or words can be used for more than magic)

Make one usage more powerful:
    • Once per day, when you cast the command spell through this feat, treat it as if it is upcast to level 2.

Reasoning: Getting more in line with the starting 1st leven and 2nd level of the touched feats. Alternatively, make it upcast to a level equal to your proficiency bonus?

Make one usage faster:
    • Once per day, when you cast the command spell through this feat, you can do so as a bonus action instead.

Reasoning: Adding strength is fun, but sometimes speed/combo potential is at least as cool.

Make your words matter, even if they don't understand:
    • Once per day, when you cast the command spell through this feat, the target doesn't need to understand the language you use. You decide if you want to use this at the moment you cast the spell (before you know if the target understood you).

Reasoning: Since the spell normally needs something to be alive and understand the language you use, this adds some flexability in your targeting. (Think the language of magic in Eragon or Kate Daniels)

Boost your later skill with magic words:
    • Once per day, when casting a language based enchantment (such as: Command, Enthrall, Suggestion, Mass Suggestion) or one of the "Power Word" spells, you can boost its power. For the language based spells, this increases the DC by +1, for the enchantment Power word spells, this increase the maxmimum HP they can affect by 25 and for Power Word Heal, this grants the target 25 temporary hit points.

Reasoning: Instead of boosting only the command spell (or yourself), instead add a thematic boost that seems related to it.

All this said and done, I'm well aware that a more boring version would just be a half feat that grants access to Command and either Enthrall or Suggestion. But I figured I'd give this alternate method a try first.

So, let me know, what additional bullet would you add to the main one?
    Last edited by Loek; 2022-11-16 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Minor grammar changes and an additional option
    Help improve my (favorite) 5e homebrews: The Circle of the Full Moon, Items of Darkness and The Unseen Hand (Warlock Patron).
    My old 3.5 homebrews: The Disciple of the gem, the Dragonhearted and my Warlock fix.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Master of Words - Trying to build a feat (opinions welcome)

Adding an additional one or two language proficiencies could also work, seeing as the theme of the feat is a supernatural control over language.