New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Tzardok's Miscellaneous Homebrew Repository

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    Calculating all those stats isn't that bad. It's inserting them in this forum's table structures that makes true dragons a Colossal+ pain in the behind IMO.
    And that is why I'm not very keen on doing classes (besides being kinda bad at it). (Also, I still maintain that making a creature that's actually twelve creatures, some of them with high HD count is a hassle unto itself.)

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Spherical Cow
    Quote Originally Posted by RFLS View Post
    • Spherical dragon.
    • Frictionless Plane.
    A natural predator emerges?

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Don't make me make another true dragon so soon after the last one. Not when I'm busy wrangling giant faces in the clouds.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, it's worse than a True Dragon! Just imagine something with your Cow's limbs issue, but it's age categories now.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

*blink* Isn't that just a time dragon?

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

This is another conversion of 2e creature. I'm not really content with it, but I wrestled long enough with trying to make it halfway make sense.

New Creature: Mortai
    Colossal Elemental (Air, Good)
    Hit Dice: 20d8+160 (250 hp)
    Initiative: +12
    Speed: Flying 120 ft (Perfect)
    Amor Class: 23 (+12 Dex, -8 size, +9 deflection), touch 23, Flat footed 11
    Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+46
    Attack: Lightning ranged touch +20 (10d6 electricity plus stun)
    Full Attack: Three lightning ranged touch +20 (10d6 electricity plus stun)
    Space/Reach: 30 ft/30 ft
    Special Attacks: Command the skies, spell-like abilities, throw lightning
    Special Qualities: Celestial grace, cloud cover, darkvision 60 ft., DR 5/-, elemental traits, immunity to electricity and sonic, oversight, SR 27
    Saves: Fort +16, Ref +26, Will +19
    Abilities: Str 40, Dex 35, Con 27, Int 22, Wis 33, Cha 28
    Skills: Bluff +35, Diplomacy +36, Knowledge (History) or Knowledge (Religion) +29, Knowledge (Nature) +29, Knowledge (The Planes) +29, Listen +34, Sense Motive +37, Spot +34
    Feats: Ability Focus (Throw Lightning), Great Fortitude, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Skill Focus (Bluff), Skill Focus (Sense Motive), Weapon Focus (Lightning)
    Environment: Wilderness of the Beastlands
    Organisation: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 16
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always good, usually chaotic
    Advancement: 21-60 HD (Colossal)
    Level Adjustment: -

The Beastlands are the plane of idealized nature, of wild freedom where there's a place for every being to act according to its nature. Technology fails or transforms into more primitive versions of itself, familiars and animal companions leave their masters and roam as they will, and the weather is wild and untamed, to the point that weather magic fails on the plane. Most first time visitors don't realize that the last part is not just a trait of the plane, but the result of an intelligence. For the skies of the Wilderness are stewarded by the mortai.
    The mortai are beings of cloud and sky. Most of the time a mortai will simply appear to be a normal cloud. If it wishes to communicate though, part of it will solidify into a giant beautiful face glowing golden from the inside. Mortai tend to keep to themselves, though they can be mischievous and play pranks on the beings down there, for example by raining over them. If they recognize a being as evil or cruel, their pranks will get harsher to the point of punishment. Mortai are wise and suprisingly well-informed, and so an intrepid adventurer may search one out for information. If the asker is polite and respectful, the mortai will answer, though they can be cryptical if they believe that puzzling it out for themselves would be beneficial to the asker.
    Many theories exist over the exact nature of a mortai. Some believe that the mortai are emanations or extensions of the plane itself, though others hold the fact that mortai sometimes leave the plane against this theory. Others think they are simply demigods of sky and weather, but mortai aren't actually worshipped and would need another method to sustain themselves if that were true. A last theory holds that a mortai is a conglomerate of petitioners of the Beastland that don't have an affinity for an animal and so sublimated upwards instead of manifesting as any beast.
    Mortai speak all languages except for secret languages.

Celestial Grace (Su): A mortai receives its Cha-Mod as a deflection bonus to AC.
    Cloud Cover (Ex): A mortai can appear as a completely normal cloud, if it wishes so. In this shape it is gaseous and amorphous, similiar to the effect of gaseous form. A cloud cover mortai is immune to weapon damage, but can't speak or use any of its special attacks except for Command the Skies. Solidifying part of itself into its giant face or reversing that process requires a Full-Round Action.
    A character can discern a mortai in cloud cover from an inanimate cloud by making a Spot check against DC 40 or a Survival check against DC 35.
    Command the Skies (Su): The skies of the Beastlands are the property of the mortai, and none except them can control them. As long as a mortai is on the Beastlands, all magical or supernatural effects that use or manipulate weather, wind or fog (except for those used by other mortai) within 5 miles fail, as does magical flight. By manipulating the atmosphere, a mortai can duplicate control weather 3/day and the following spells at will: control wind, fog cloud, gust of wind, ice storm, thunderhead SC, whispering wind, wind wall, all at the 20th caster level. Save DC against any of this effects is 29 (based on Charisma).
    Oversight (Ex): Mortai are adept at watching the ground from their lofty heights, and can easily see and hear what the small beings down there do. A mortai can see and hear miles far and doesn't take range penalties to Spot checks, Listen checks and ranged attack rolls against creatures under them.
    Spell-like abilities: At will – legend lore; 3/day – air walk, call lightning storm (DC 24), heavenly lightning stormBoED (DC 26), holy storm,SC rainbow blastSC (DC 22) rainbow pattern (DC 23), Summon Monster VII (only air elementals), wind walk. CL 20th, DC is based on Cha.
    Throw Lightning (Ex): A mortai can throw lightning bolts at creatures. It can throw one bolt as a Standard Action and up to three bolts as a Full-Round Action. This is a ranged touch attack that deals 10d6 electricity damage to the target and stuns it for 1d4 rounds. A successful Fortitude save against DC 30 negates the stunning. This ability doesn't have a maximum range; if the mortai can see you, it can hit you, even from a mile away. DC is based on Con.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

A big, happy cloud that vomits rainbows? I like that! (And man, you weren't just being colourful when you said that thing about giant faces in the sky; not that I should've expected any less.) I went through the math (except the skill points, because I'm having some very busy days, that's many skill points right there; and you tend to be very precise with those, so I don't expect errors); all I see checks out. Two questions/observations:
    1. do I understand things correctly, and is it always either gaseous or a giant face? (1.1. Also note that amorph is a noun; the word you're looking for is amorphous).
    2. I find it rather weak offensively. Yes, it can spam 10d6 electricity from a crazy distance away, has some good debuff/BFC abilities (special mention goes to at-will stunning on the touch attack), but that's still only one single-target attack per round. It'd also fare questionably against anything that can negate electricity damage, which at the level range its tentative CR would have it compete with isn't a big deal, seeing how its only seconary option for direct damage that isn't electricity-based is an unimpressive summoning SLA.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2024-07-07 at 01:19 PM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    1. do I understand things correctly, and is it always either gaseous or a giant face?
    That is correct. Technically even as a face it will still be surrounded by cloud body, but the face is the solid "core", so to speak.

2. I find it rather weak offensively. Yes, it can spam 10d6 electricity from a crazy distance away, has some good debuff/BFC abilities (special mention goes to at-will stunning on the touch attack), but that's still only one single-target attack per round. It'd also fare questionably against anything that can negate electricity damage, which at the level range its tentative CR would have it compete with isn't a big deal, seeing how its only seconary option for direct damage that isn't electricity-based is an unimpressive summoning SLA.
    Hmm. Yeah, I was thinking about giving more lightnings to throw per round (the original's lightning was a line 10 ft wide and inifinity long, which was a bit too much for me, so I reduced it). Also some other SLAs... let's see....

I've increased the number of lightning bolts to three per round, added ice storm to Command the Skies, and added a few other spell-like abilities with a storm theme (holy storm, celestial lightning storm and rainbow blast.)

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

So, suprise people. I had something else cooking. Let's see if it's actually well-done.

Just for Pun 6: Kung Pao
    In places at the border of civilisation and wilderness one can sometimes encounter wanderers of a peculiar nature: humanoid chickens with beautiful plumage clad in simple robes. These beings, the kung pao, are knight-errants and wandering sages, and take up the fight for righteousness wherever they see people oppressed and endangered.
    A kung pao resembles a humanoid chicken with colourful feathers. It stands around 5' 4'' tall, with the males being bigger and burlier. Kung pao are believed to related in some way to either aaracokra or tengu, though their wings have turned into arms with bird-like claws at the end. Kung pao are very proud of their combs and wattles and occasionally use make-up to make their colour even more intense.
    Kung pao live in small communities. These are usually made up of one to three families and are in contact with neighbouring groups. Kung pao society is patriarchic and polygynal; the roosters of a larger community form a council that makes important decisions. Young kung pao tend to go travelling to see the world and fight evil before founding a new family or marrying into an existing one. Kung pao are often neighbours with hengeyokai and spiritfolk and tend to have good relations to them.
    The race is a spiritual one, but not necessarily religious. They have a reverence for cycles in nature like the moon phases or the seasons, but sometimes also the cycle of day and night or the tides and tend to meditate on those and the meaning they have. For this reason, most divine casters amongst the kung pao are druids, followed by spirit shamans and shugenja. If a kung pao worships an actual deity, it tends to choose moon gods or deities of the seasons, rarely deities of the sea. Sun gods are generally avoided unless they encompass both day and night.
    Most kung pao have at least some levels as monks, but paladin and samurai are also quite common. Kung Pao are usually Lawful Good. They speak a language of their own called Pao, which is written with the same characters as the Spirit Tongue.

• Abilities: Dex +2, Wis +2
    • Medium size
    • Monstrous Humanoid
    • 30 ft. base speed
    • Low light vision
    • Magnificient Cook: A kung pao's discerning sense of smell and taste grants it a racial bonus of +4 to Craft and Profession skills that deal with preparing food.
    • Racial bonus +2 to Diplomacy, Intimidate and Balance.
    • Spurs (Ex): A kung pao's unarmed strikes deal damage one size larger. A kung pao may choose to deal slashing or piercing damage with its unarmed strikes.
    • Memory of flight (Ex): Though the kung pao don't possess the capability of unaided flight anymore, they still have an affinity for it. A kung pao receives a racial bonus of +10 ft to any magical flying speed he receives and can apply class-based increases to base speed to those flying speeds.
    • Automatic languages: Common and Pao. Additional languages: Auran, Celestial, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Spirit Tongue
    • Favoured Class: Monk
    • Level Adjustment: +1

This race was inspired by the song Teenage Mutant Kung Fu Chickens and the xianxia novel Beware of Chicken.

Feats
    Clad in Moonlight
    Like many of your kind, you have contemplated the moon and its cycles. The full moon, the easiest phase to understand, has revealed secrets to you, allowing you to create an armor of moonlight.
    Prerequisites: Kung Pao
    Benefit: As long as you are unarmored, you receive a bonus of +1 to AC. At 5th character level, this bonus increases to +2, at 9th character level to +3, and so on, up to a maximum of +6 at 21st character level.
    This feat is a supernatural ability.

Crescent Blade
    Your understanding of the moon has increased. With the blessing of the crescent moon, you've turned the moonlight to offensive purposes, allowing you to throw blades of silver.
    Prerequisites: Kung Pao, Ki Strike, Clad in Moonlight
    Benefit: You can make unarmed strikes at range with a maximum range of 30 ft. Treat these attacks as throwing weapons. All abilties that apply to your unarmed strikes aplly to these attacks.

Split Face of the Halfmoon
    Your understanding of the moon has increased. By contemplating the stark dualism of the halfmoon, you have learned the art of splitting yourself into a visible and an invisible side.
    Prerequisites: Kung Pao, Improved Evasion, Clad in Moonlight, Hide 11 ranks
    Benefit: Once per encounter as an Immediate Action you can activate this feat to create a copy of yourself like through the spell projected image, while at the same time becoming invisible like through invisibility. You can direkt your copy as a Free Action.

Unstoppable Advance of the Waxing Gibbous
    Your understanding of the moon has increased. As the moonlight inevitably grows from unnoticeable to overpowering, so do your charges always reach their target no matter what.
    Benefit: When you charge, your body emits supernatural light that distracts opponents and pierces their defenses. You do not provoke attacks of opportunity by charging and your first attack ignores any miss chance due to cover or illusion effects.
    Thanks to Beni-Kujaku for designing this feat.

Art of the Hidden Moon
    The new moon is the most mysterious phase of the moon, and understanding it is the most difficult. Yet, the secrets it hides are the most esoteric.
    Prerequisites: Kung Pao, Clad in Moonlight, Crescent Blade, Split Face of the Halfmoon, Unstoppable Advance of the Waxing Gibbous, 12th Character level
    Benefit: Every day, at midnight, you may choose two shadowmagic mysteries of up to 6th level with a range of personal. Until the next midnight, you can cast each of those mysteries once as a spell-like ability, with a caster level equal to your character level.
    From 15th character level on, you may choose mysteries of up to 7th level, from 17th character level you can choose 8th level mysteries, and from 19th character level 9th level mysteries.

I wonder if those feats are too strong or too weak, especially the last one. Incidentally, if anybody is wondering where the gibbous moon is: it's because nobody gives a crap about the gibbous moon. (Also, I had no idea what the feat should be.)

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

So, suprise people. I had something else cooking. Let's see if it's actually well-done.
    [G-R-O-A-N-S.]

ENTER THE SPUR!

In places at the border of civilisation and wilderness one can sometimes encounter wanderers of a peculiar nature: humanoid chickens with beautiful plumage clad in simple robes. These beings, the kung pao, are knight-errants and wandering sages, and take up the fight for righteousness wherever they see people oppressed and endangered.
    A kung pao resembles a humanoid chicken with colourful feathers.
    And they are BIRDIES!

Kung pao are believed to related in some way to either aaracokra or tengu, though their wings have turned into arms with bird-like claws at the end.
    I wonder if that's actually the deal with Tengus and Kenkus.

Kung pao are very proud of their combs and wattles and occasionally use make-up to make their colour even more intense.
    Especially the males, if I can guess. (No, seriously, more races should have social norms demanding the males to look more gaudily blinged-out than the females, given the prevalence of that among actual animals, especially BIRDIES.)

[*]Magnificient Cook: A kung pao's discerning sense of smell and taste grants it a racial bonus of +4 to Craft and Profession skills that deal with preparing food.
    [G-R-O-A-N-S.]

[*]Spurs (Ex): A kung pao's unarmed strikes deal damage one size larger. A kung pao may choose to deal slashing or piercing damage with its unarmed strikes.
    Built-in VUS+! I apporve! (They can still deal the standard bludgeoning too, right?)

[*]Memory of flight (Ex): Though the kung pao don't possess the capability of unaided flight anymore, they still have an affinity for it. A kung pao receives a racial bonus of +10 ft to any magical flying speed he receives and can apply class-based increases to base speed to those flying speeds.
    Feels like some of the better alternate racial traits for PF1 stuff. Fits a CHICKEN nicely too.

I wonder if those feats are too strong or too weak, especially the last one.
    CiM is meh, but synergizes well with Monk, so it's a good base for stuff.
    CB is well-balanced and delicious, probably my favourite of the bunch.
    SFotH comes online at about level 9 and while flavourful in principle, is incredibly underwhelming compared to the similar Warlock invocation Flee the Scene, available at 6th level and onwards.
    AotHM… Does the scaling mean the CHICKEN just picks mysteries to use when using the feat? It's an odd duck.

Incidentally, if anybody is wondering where the gibbous moon is: it's because nobody gives a crap about the gibbous moon.
    HEY! Lovecraft did care (garanted, he's kinda dead). And so do I, actually. (I like the moon.)
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2024-07-10 at 07:52 AM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

I wonder if that's actually the deal with Tengus and Kenkus.
    No idea about tengu, but the 3.5 kenku essentially have this body type (except smaller and scrawnier, less upright). 2e kenku on the other hand are angeloform, with arms and wings.

Built-in VUS+! I apporve! (They can still deal the standard bludgeoning too, right?)
    Yep. Saw no reason to call it out. If it replace the normal damage type, then I'd have called it out.

CiM is meh, but synergizes well with Monk, so it's a good base for stuff.
    That was the intention. Do you think it should scale faster?

SFotH comes online at about level 9 and while flavourful in principle, is incredibly underwhelming compared to the similar Warlock invocation Flee the Scene, available at 6th level and onwards.
    Hmm. I used the Decoy ability of the psychic rogue as a base, and that one comes at the earliest at 11th level online. It is also less powerful than this one, on account of no Immediate Action (which Flee the Scene also isn't) and no invisibility. I also think you are underestimating staying invisible on the battlefield while having the opponent fight your decoy, in comparison to how Flee the Scene seems to be mostly about escaping.

AotHM… Does the scaling mean the CHICKEN just picks mysteries to use when using the feat?
    That is the intention, yes. Is that too powerful? I hoped the restriction to Personal effects would sufficiently balancing, as there aren't that many mysteries of that type available.
    I was thinking about using some ressource, like Wholeness of Body healing or daily uses of Stunning Fist as "fuel" for the feat (like, spend one daily use per level of the mystery), but I couldn't find anything that felt right.

It's an odd duck.
    Ba-dum-quack!

HEY! Lovecraft did care (garanted, he's kinda dead). And so do I, actually. (I like the moon.)
    Any ideas for a feat? The only ones I remember that ever did anything with the gibbous moon are Tiffany Aching from Discworld, who included it in her symbol, (but that doesn't help me any) and the werewolves in Werewolf: The Apocalypse/The Forsaken, who associate the gibbous moon with lorekeepers and bards, prophecy. dreams and visions and madness (which is fine, but I didn't just want to copy them).

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New Creature: Mortai
    I really like that guy. It sounds like a Genius Loci, but with an actual reason to exist and to interact with the PCs, and the means to do so. Also very good translation, congrats!

Colossal Elemental (Air, Good)
    I wonder... Shouldn't it be an Outsider? Whether it is an incarnation of the Beastlands, a minor deity or the combination of petitioners, it does not have much to do with the elemental planes, and everything to do with the stuff of the Outer Planes. It would be similar to the Vaati (the wind dukes of Aaqa) that way.

Abilities: Str 40, Dex 35, Con 27, Int 22, Wis 33, Cha 28
    Terrifyingly high stats. I'm sad to see its highest stat (Str) not be used anywhere. I'd like to see an ability where it just passes over a flying creature as its gaseous form and just solidifies around them, immediately "swallowing them" with a grapple check and dealing some bludgeoning damage as the solid clouds batter them until they succeed at a grapple check to free themselves.

Skills: Bluff +35, Diplomacy +36, Knowledge (History) or Knowledge (Religion) +29, Knowledge (Nature) +29, Knowledge (The Planes) +29, Listen +34, Sense Motive +37, Spot +34
    I very much like the focus on Knowledge, especially with :
    Spell-like abilities: At will – legend lore;
    It's such a good and efficient way to just say that the Mortai knows everything there is to know, and that the PCs can ask it anything.

Mortai tend to keep to themselves, though they can be mischievous and play pranks on the beings down there, for example by raining over them. If they recognize a being as evil or cruel, their pranks will get harsher to the point of punishment. Mortai are wise and suprisingly well-informed, and so an intrepid adventurer may search one out for information. If the asker is polite and respectful, the mortai will answer, though they can be cryptical if they believe that puzzling it out for themselves would be beneficial to the asker.
    Love that characterization.

Command the Skies (Su): The skies of the Beastlands are the property of the mortai, and none except them can control them. As long as a mortai is on the Beastlands, all magical or supernatural effects that use or manipulate weather, wind or fog (except for those used by other mortai) within 5 miles fail, as does magical flight. By manipulating the atmosphere, a mortai can duplicate control weather 3/day and the following spells at will: control wind, fog cloud, gust of wind, ice storm, thunderhead SC, whispering wind, wind wall, all at the 20th caster level. Save DC against any of this effects is 29 (based on Charisma).
    I wonder why the weather-based SLAs are not there as well? Was it just to reduce the DC of the offensive SLAs?

That is correct. Technically even as a face it will still be surrounded by cloud body, but the face is the solid "core", so to speak.
    It's quite hard to represent in 3.x, but did you think about using the Mortai's core somewhere? Like, for example, you need to enter the cloud and get zapped every turn (and risk getting grappled if you go for it), but by hitting the core you bypass the DR and prevent it from using SLAs for a round if it fails a Fort save.

Hmm. Yeah, I was thinking about giving more lightnings to throw per round (the original's lightning was a line 10 ft wide and inifinity long, which was a bit too much for me, so I reduced it). Also some other SLAs... let's see...
    Why not just saying each of them is like a Lightning Bolt spell (120ft long, can go through creatures and stun several of them at once)? I think that's a good compromise between the original and 3.x's full attack formatting?

Challenge Rating: 16?
    16 seems good. If you go with the grappling and piercing lightning, then 18 or 19 may be better.

It's pretty pun. I mean fun.

• Spurs (Ex): A kung pao's unarmed strikes deal damage one size larger. A kung pao may choose to deal slashing or piercing damage with its unarmed strikes.
    Does it automatically deal lethal damage, or does the Kung Pao still need IUS?

For the feats : Definitely like Clad in Moonlight, no balance problem there. I also like the Crescent Blade and Split Face, though I wonder why make the Split Face a SLA rather than (Su). Generally similar feats are (Ex) or (Su) by themselves but allow the user to cast a spell as an SLA, which is not the same as the feat being an SLA itself.
    Art of the Hidden Moon has the right power level for these prereqs (though maybe one more prereq feat wouldn't hurt), but I don't want to see players look through the whole Mystery list everytime it's their turn. I think it would be better to just choose two mysteries at midnight that you will be able to use during the next day, rather than spontaneously casting them. It's still a really powerful and versatile feat and I think I would delay it by at least one level compared to a full shadowcaster (14th, or even 15th level for level 7 mysteries). Make it clear that "the mysteries are cast as spell-like abilities", not that the feat is an SLA itself.

I will come back with a gibbous moon feat later.

Edit : what about this one :

Your understanding of the moon has increased. As the moonlight inevitably grows from unnoticeable to overpowering, so do your charges always reach their target no matter what.
    Benefit: When you charge, your body emits supernatural light that distracts opponents and pierces their defenses. You do not provoke attacks of opportunity by charging and your first attack ignores any miss chance due to cover or illusion effects.
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2024-07-11 at 09:04 AM.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

No idea about tengu, but the 3.5 kenku essentially have this body type (except smaller and scrawnier, less upright). 2e kenku on the other hand are angeloform, with arms and wings.
    Tengu are the latter too in 3e; and I know what a Kenku looks like, yes (they are BIRDIES and I love them; also, they are very sound mechanically, which is a plus – shame about the official lore the originator of which SHOULD HAVE BEEN SHOT, though, but I believe you are aware of just how low my opinion on that is already). I'm just not sure how theses two birdy birdies are related, lorewise (even though, yeah, given my aforementioned gripes, I might not want to know either).

Yep. Saw no reason to call it out. If it replace the normal damage type, then I'd have called it out.
    Fair, and that's what I figured, but I thought I'd ask.

That was the intention. Do you think it should scale faster?
    Nah, it's fine. It's cheap and stacks with everything.

Hmm. I used the Decoy ability of the psychic rogue as a base, and that one comes at the earliest at 11th level online. It is also less powerful than this one, on account of no Immediate Action (which Flee the Scene also isn't) and no invisibility. I also think you are underestimating staying invisible on the battlefield while having the opponent fight your decoy, in comparison to how Flee the Scene seems to be mostly about escaping.
    Hrm. That's a good point. Immediates are quite the resource. Still, by the same level our hypothetical Warlock might have at-will Invisibility on top of Flee the Scene and can spam decoys while invisible, so I feel like the Psychic Rogue thing is just kinda bad.

That is the intention, yes. Is that too powerful? I hoped the restriction to Personal effects would sufficiently balancing, as there aren't that many mysteries of that type available.
    I'm not that much at home as pertains that subject, but do see Beni's comment above. It's clunky, more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    I wonder... Shouldn't it be an Outsider? Whether it is an incarnation of the Beastlands, a minor deity or the combination of petitioners, it does not have much to do with the elemental planes, and everything to do with the stuff of the Outer Planes. It would be similar to the Vaati (the wind dukes of Aaqa) that way.
    Eh, Elemental type has it rough; they deserve nice things! Also, those theories can just be wrong (I'm kinda fond of in-universe theories that are wrong, so that)

It's quite hard to represent in 3.x, but did you think about using the Mortai's core somewhere? Like, for example, you need to enter the cloud and get zapped every turn (and risk getting grappled if you go for it), but by hitting the core you bypass the DR and prevent it from using SLAs for a round if it fails a Fort save.
    Tzardok did something like that for the Zamonia General Kill-'Em-All Construct guy and it worked, so it's not like that's not doable, but these things can get real clunky and are a concept rather alien when considered in 3.5 mechanical terms.

Why not just saying each of them is like a Lightning Bolt spell (120ft long, can go through creatures and stun several of them at once)? I think that's a good compromise between the original and 3.x's full attack formatting?
    Hard disagree. Actual lightning from an actual cloud should have a far better range than that, and should arc from cloud to thing hit. I rather like the new and improved version as it now is.

For what it's worth, that is gorgeous and has my ringing annoyingly glowing endorsement.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

I really like that guy. It sounds like a Genius Loci, but with an actual reason to exist and to interact with the PCs, and the means to do so. Also very good translation, congrats!

I agree with Meta here. The mortai just feel more elemental to me. Also, it's not like the creature type is completely restricted to beings of the elemental plane; shadow pseudo-elementals are a thing, taint elementals and ruin elementals seem to be mostly at home on the Material, certain settings have Material-native elementals like that one in The Underdark, and so on.
    (Also, I'm pretty sure the vaati were Outsiders native to Air.)
    Terrifyingly high stats. I'm sad to see its highest stat (Str) not be used anywhere. I'd like to see an ability where it just passes over a flying creature as its gaseous form and just solidifies around them, immediately "swallowing them" with a grapple check and dealing some bludgeoning damage as the solid clouds batter them until they succeed at a grapple check to free themselves.
    That's an idea. On the other hand, something in me resists the idea of giving them any "melee" capabilities. Maybe I should reduce or remove the Strength stat...

It's such a good and efficient way to just say that the Mortai knows everything there is to know, and that the PCs can ask it anything.
    Not everything, but they are pretty good on that part. If you want omnniscience, you need to walk the extra mile and go ask a flard.

I wonder why the weather-based SLAs are not there as well? Was it just to reduce the DC of the offensive SLAs?
    That is mostly an artifact of how the 2e write-up seperated those into different paragraphs:
    "The mortai can because of its control over the weather duplicate the effects of these spells."

"It can also cast those spells."

I threw out the core thing pretty much at the beginning (which in retrospect made designing this thing probably more of chore than it could have been), and am reluctant to re-add it beyond the concession I made with the Cloud Cover ability and the fact that the whole face is now physical enough to be attackable.

I'm sorry, but I am again with Meta. The infinite range thing is non-negotionable.

16 seems good. If you go with the grappling and piercing lightning, then 18 or 19 may be better.
    I'll keep 16, unless and until I make a decision regarding Strength.

Does it automatically deal lethal damage, or does the Kung Pao still need IUS?
    IUS is still needed to deal lethal damage and to actually count as armed. I wanted the ability to synergize with monk, but not take away from what one can gain from monk.
    For the feats : Definitely like Clad in Moonlight, no balance problem there. I also like the Crescent Blade and Split Face, though I wonder why make the Split Face a SLA rather than (Su). Generally similar feats are (Ex) or (Su) by themselves but allow the user to cast a spell as an SLA, which is not the same as the feat being an SLA itself.
    I think I've forgotten how to formulate that. For a start I simply took away the "This feat is a spell-like ability" rider.

Hrm. That's a good point. Immediates are quite the resource. Still, by the same level our hypothetical Warlock might have at-will Invisibility on top of Flee the Scene and can spam decoys while invisible, so I feel like the Psychic Rogue thing is just kinda bad.
    I also added a rider that the copy can be controlled as a Free Action (instead of the Move Action a projected image normally needs, which should grant it vastly more utility than Flee the Scene's doubles (those are explicitely uncontrolled, they just react to attacks like they are controlled). Besides that, I'm willing to give it more uses. Is 2/day enough? 1/hour? I'm willing to go down to 1/encounter, but not more often.

I will come back with a gibbous moon feat later.

Well dang, now we also need a Waning feat. More work, yay. Just joking, that feat is great, and I'll add it to the list (and to the prerequisites of Art of the Hidden Moon).

Art of the Hidden Moon has the right power level for these prereqs (though maybe one more prereq feat wouldn't hurt), but I don't want to see players look through the whole Mystery list everytime it's their turn. I think it would be better to just choose two mysteries at midnight that you will be able to use during the next day, rather than spontaneously casting them. It's still a really powerful and versatile feat and I think I would delay it by at least one level compared to a full shadowcaster (14th, or even 15th level for level 7 mysteries). Make it clear that "the mysteries are cast as spell-like abilities", not that the feat is an SLA itself.
    All corrections included. Thanks for your help.

Tengu are the latter too in 3e; and I know what a Kenku looks like, yes (they are BIRDIES and I love them; also, they are very sound mechanically, which is a plus – shame about the official lore the originator of which SHOULD HAVE BEEN SHOT, though, but I believe you are aware of just how low my opinion on that is already). I'm just not sure how theses two birdy birdies are related, lorewise (even though, yeah, given my aforementioned gripes, I might not want to know either).
    Relationships, if any, are difficult to ascertain. 2e kenku were a gift (hiding a lesson) from Remnis, god of giant eagles, to Quorlinn, a trickster god. So they presumably were a creation of Remnis. Aarakocra for their part are most likely creations of the goddess Syrinaria. On the other wing, Remnis and Syrinaria are allies, so it is possible that Remnis transformed willing aarakocra instead of creating the kenku whole-cloth.
    Specific settings of course like to throw spanners into the works; Forgotten Realms for example theorizes that aarakocra are creations/descendents of the third creator race (the bird-shaped ones). One could argue that as bird people, the kenku need to be creations of those too, but officially kenku hail from Kara-Tur, and that setting doesn't go back enough in history to tell use what was going on there while the creator races did their thing. And Spelljammer somehow vaguely connects the aarakocra with the vaati.
    The only setting where we can definitely assume a common origin for kenku and aarakocra is Dark Sun, and that just because practically all races originate with The Rebirth.

And of course, just to make things more confusing, all descriptions of tengu (both the weird 2e ones and the Rokugan/Oriental Adventure ones) insist that kenku is just another word for tengu. So in the end just choose what you like the most, I guess. Heck, my first idea had been to make the Kung Pao hengeyokai that lost their shapechanging.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Not everything, but they are pretty good on that part. If you want omnniscience, you need to walk the extra mile and go ask a flard.
    What is a… [Checks.] What the… An infinite height?!

I also added a rider that the copy can be controlled as a Free Action (instead of the Move Action a projected image normally needs, which should grant it vastly more utility than Flee the Scene's doubles (those are explicitely uncontrolled, they just react to attacks like they are controlled). Besides that, I'm willing to give it more uses. Is 2/day enough? 1/hour? I'm willing to go down to 1/encounter, but not more often.
    The new function is cool, but now that you brought it up, I can't not lobby for 1/encounter. That's generally a good compomise between "no spamming it" and "available when you may need it".

Relationships, if any, are difficult to ascertain. 2e kenku were a gift (hiding a lesson) from Remnis, god of giant eagles, to Quorlinn, a trickster god. So they presumably were a creation of Remnis. Aarakocra for their part are most likely creations of the goddess Syrinaria. On the other wing, Remnis and Syrinaria are allies, so it is possible that Remnis transformed willing aarakocra instead of creating the kenku whole-cloth.
    Specific settings of course like to throw spanners into the works; Forgotten Realms for example theorizes that aarakocra are creations/descendents of the third creator race (the bird-shaped ones). One could argue that as bird people, the kenku need to be creations of those too, but officially kenku hail from Kara-Tur, and that setting doesn't go back enough in history to tell use what was going on there while the creator races did their thing. And Spelljammer somehow vaguely connects the aarakocra with the vaati.
    The only setting where we can definitely assume a common origin for kenku and aarakocra is Dark Sun, and that just because practically all races originate with The Rebirth.

And of course, just to make things more confusing, all descriptions of tengu (both the weird 2e ones and the Rokugan/Oriental Adventure ones) insist that kenku is just another word for tengu. So in the end just choose what you like the most, I guess. Heck, my first idea had been to make the Kung Pao hengeyokai that lost their shapechanging.
    I am more confused! Still, good to know and thank you!

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

What is a… [Checks.] What the… An infinite height?!
    Sure, why not? It's the Outer Planes, geometry generally is only a guest there. ... Y'know what? Have at thee:

Special Location: Flard

Wanderer, if you are in Mechanus and walk far off the beaten path, you may turn around a gear and suddenly find yourself standing before an infinitely high pillar made of marble blocks that didn't seem to exist when you looked at the region from afar. Rejoice, for you have seen one of the wonders of the multiverse: a flard.
    Nobody knows how the flards came to be, though a common theory is that an extinct race built them in the Age before Ages. About their number there also exists no consensus; there could be as few as 27 and as many as hundreds. Either way, they are rare, and it is exceedingly rare to find one without looking for it. Fact is that flards are essentially giant antenna for information, and that they can answer practically any question.
    A flard is, as mentioned, an infinitely high pillar that appears to be made of marble. If scrutinized with magic, it radiates an Overwhelming aura of both Law and Divination. The pillar is absolutely indestructible; any attempt to harm or attack it will be reflected on the aggressor. When encountered, the flard will be dormant. To awaken it, one must speak its name in its presence. Each flard has a unique name, and it is believed that they derive from Awatu, an ancient and extinct language of Law that is the ancestor of Modron, Infernal and the nowadays similiarly unused language of the Archons.
    When awakened, the flard will answer the first question addressed to it completely, factually and truthfully. It answers in the same language it was addressed in. The only questions a flard doesn't answer pertain to the origin of flards and the names of other flards. If an awake flard is analyzed with detect thoughts, the Overwhelming intelligence will stun the user, no matter how high his own is. After answering, the flard falls asleep again. If no one asks the flard a question, it will fall asleep after 10 minutes. Either way it can't be awakened again, not even using its name, for a 1,000 years. Logically, the names and locations of flards, as well as the knowledge when a flard will become available again for questions, are a hot commodity amongst planar infobrokers, and lots of fake names are in circulation. The name of a flard can not be discerned through divination magic, through spells may help find where one is recorded and wether it is fake.

A character can learn information about flards with a succesful Knowledge (The Planes) check:
    DC 20: Flards are mysterious entities that exist in Mechanus and are allegedly omniscient.
    DC 25: A flard resembles an infinitely high marble pillar. Most of the time they are asleep, but if you manage to awaken one, it will truthfully answer any single question.
    DC 30: To awaken a flard, you need to address it with its name. After a flard has answered a queation, it will go dormant for a millenium and can't be awakened again.
    DC 35: The character will know the location of at least one flard and have some clues about where to find a flard's name.

Note: The first (and as far as I know only) write-up of flards was as a 1e creature in Dragon Magazone 47. So why did I decide to make it a location instead? Because I feel that a flard as a killable creature doesn't make sense in the world. Why would I, if built an oracle machine, put a treasure chamber inside of it that can only be accessed by killing it or through its own will? How would one convice it to do that when it doesn't care for anything besides answering to a degree that if not asked a question, it would attack? And why are you killing a presumably irreplicable omniscient oracle anway? What is wrong with you? So I decided to have them just as invulnerable when awake as when asleep and reduced them to the core of their being: answering questions if you jump through enough hoops.

The new function is cool, but now that you brought it up, I can't not lobby for 1/encounter. That's generally a good compomise between "no spamming it" and "available when you may need it".
    Then I'll add it, I think.

I am more confused! Still, good to know and thank you!
    Means I did my job right.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Also, here's another 1e creature whose existence I was informed about today. I just couldn't not stat it.

New Creature: Firefriend
    Small magical beast
    Hit Dice: 2d10+2 (13 hp)
    Initiative: +5
    Speed: 30 ft., Flying 60 ft (average)
    Amor Class: 14 (+1 Dex, +1 size, +2 natural), touch 12, Flat footed 13
    Base Attack/Grapple: +2/-2
    Attack: Bite melee +4 (1d4)
    Full Attack: Bite melee +4 (1d4)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft
    Special Attacks: Friendly fire beam
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, resistence 10 to electricity and fire
    Saves: Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +1
    Abilities: Str 11, Dex 13, Con 13, Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 14
    Skills: Diplomacy +4, Listen +4
    Feats: Improved Initiative, Weapon Finesse (B)
    Environment: Temperate wetlands and forests
    Organisation: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 1
    Treasure: Quarter Standard
    Alignment: Often neutral good
    Advancement: 3-4 HD (small); 5-6 HD (medium)
    Level Adjustment: +1

A firefriend is rare type of insect that can occassionally be encountered on the outskirts of civilisation. At first glance it appears identical to a dog-sized firefly, yet that impression changes as soon as it opens its mouth and babbles away in a friendly tone. Firefriends enjoy the company of humanoids, especially humans, and love to hear them tell stories, the more fanciful the better. A good and entertaining story is worth more than any kind of treasure to a firefriend, and they will occasionally repay storytellers by leading them to shiny things or fighting at their side. On their own, firefriends avoid combat.
    A firefriend's abdomen glows green and illuminates everything within 10 ft, though they can turn that glow off. Firefriends are nocturnal and mostly carnivourus, hunting monstrous vermin, mammals and birds of up to pidgeon size, though they also enjoy leaves, nectar and flowers on occasion. They mate in winter, dancing and shining in the night sky, and lay their eggs at the beginning of spring. The larvae hatch after a few weeks, and pupate when they are two years old. Adult firefriends live on average another eight years.
    Firefirends speak Common and usually one other language of local humanoids. They have a chittering accent and speak in the excited chattering of an introverted child that finally gets to talk about its interests.

Friendly Fire Beam (Su): A firefriend can, as a Standard Action, shoot a ray of greenish light from its glowing behind at any creature within 30 ft. This is a ranged touch attack that deals 1d6 fire and 1d6 electricity damage.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Sure, why not? It's the Outer Planes, geometry generally is only a guest there.
    MECHANUS IS SUPPOSED TO MAKE SENSE! (Of course, this was the time when Acheron was still a swamp and Carceri a prison run by the Good guys (both of which being things I approve of overall, nota bene), so… Different times, different weirdness.)
    ... Y'know what? Have at thee:

It answers in the same language it was addressed in. The only questions a flard doesn't answer pertain to (…) the names of other flards.
    Hrm. Did you find the 2% chance of the original too much?

If an awake flard is analyzed with detect thoughts, the Overwhelming intelligence will stun the user, no matter how high his own is.
    Nice detail, that one!

Note: The first (and as far as I know only) write-up of flards was as a 1e creature in Dragon Magazone 47. So why did I decide to make it a location instead? Because I feel that a flard as a killable creature doesn't make sense in the world. Why would I, if built an oracle machine, put a treasure chamber inside of it that can only be accessed by killing it or through its own will? How would one convice it to do that when it doesn't care for anything besides answering to a degree that if not asked a question, it would attack? And why are you killing a presumably irreplicable omniscient oracle anway? What is wrong with you? So I decided to have them just as invulnerable when awake as when asleep and reduced them to the core of their being: answering questions if you jump through enough hoops.
    Yeah, an oracular column attacking people out of impulse control issues is just silly, and infinite height does not a good creature make.

Also, here's another 1e creature whose existence I was informed about today. I just couldn't not stat it.

New Creature: Firefriend
    You, Sir, are Evil.

A firefriend is rare type of insect that can occassionally be encountered on the outskirts of civilisation. At first glance it appears identical to a dog-sized firefly, yet that impression changes as soon as it opens its mouth and babbles away in a friendly tone. Firefriends enjoy the company of humanoids, especially humans, and love to hear them tell stories, the more fanciful the better. A good and entertaining story is worth more than any kind of treasure to a firefriend, and they will occasionally repay storytellers by leading them to shiny things or fighting at their side. On their own, firefriends avoid combat.
    See, here I am reading this, and being all "hey, that's kinda cute, actually", and then you have to drop this:

Firefriends are nocturnal and mostly carnivourus, hunting monstrous vermin, mammals and birds of up to pidgeon size, though they also enjoy leaves, nectar and flowers on occasion.
    WHY?! I refuse to utter type out another word on this.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Hrm. Did you find the 2% chance of the original too much?
    I didn't find it too much, I found it silly. Let's ignore that if you have such a low chance, why not forbid it wholy, I find the concept silly of going to your oracle machine that you can only use once per millenium and ask it "Hey, what's the name of the other oracle machine I can only use once per millenium?". Like, why do that? Why ask for another oracle if the oracle right here is just as good, and you don't need to go look for it and you already know that it's not in a cooldown because you are right here and its awake? *throws hands up in exasperation* The more I think about it, the sillier it gets.

WHY?! I refuse to utter type out another word on this.
    I simply looked up what normal fireflies eat (smaller insects, pollen, nectar) and scaled it up.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

I didn't find it too much, I found it silly. Let's ignore that if you have such a low chance, why not forbid it wholy, I find the concept silly of going to your oracle machine that you can only use once per millenium and ask it "Hey, what's the name of the other oracle machine I can only use once per millenium?". Like, why do that? Why ask for another oracle if the oracle right here is just as good, and you don't need to go look for it and you already know that it's not in a cooldown because you are right here and its awake? *throws hands up in exasperation* The more I think about it, the sillier it gets.
    Deny the use of as many Flards to others as one can for as long as one is able? It's just good counterintelligence at play (or the (for some reason) entirely valid player alignment called Chaotic Evil at work).

I simply looked up what normal fireflies eat (smaller insects, pollen, nectar) and scaled it up.
    But I don't want it to make sense! I want it to turn people into dinosaurs just not hurt birdies and flowers.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2024-07-16 at 10:21 AM.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

But I don't want it to make sense! I want it to turn people into dinosaurs.
    Oh, you want stuff to not make sense and to turn people into dinosaurs? Like this:

Dino-Strike
    Tiger Claw (Strike)
    Level: -4.4
    Prerequisite: Two Utterances
    Initiation Action: Standard Action
    Range: Melee touch attack
    Target: One living humanoid
    Duration: Until the next extinction level event or 2 hours, whatever comes earlier

With a smack, you awaken primordial forces in your target, and reverse the ancient curse they call "eevolushion". You can make a touch attack against a living humanoid and turn them into a dinosaur of your choice, similiar to the spell polymorph, except the target's Int score changes to 2. You can't turn the target into a dinosaur with more HD than your initiator level or the target's HD, whatever is lower. Unwilling targets can make a Fort save (DC equals your Jump check) to prevent being turned.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

That is the best thing ever. There's one thing I'm not sure about, though (it's a mystery, if you will): what's the DC of the Truespeak check to bind this invocation to the hand chakra, assuming a good pact? (I saw the blue colour and immediately knew this is incarnum!)