New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

cool Re: Telekinetic feat: can you telekinetically shove yourself?

RAW you can and I have. It doesn't seem to break anything since you already get so few feats in 5e, exclusive with stat increases unless you get bonus feats, and you're spending a whole one on this plus the componentless (and maybe extended range) invisible mage hand, so I think there's no reason to ban it, either, even if maybe other telekinetic effects specify you shouldn't use them on yourself. 3.5e has a telekinesis discipline Psionic Fly and Psionic Overland Flight, but 3.5e gives you way more psionic powers than 5e gives you feats, so it makes sense to allow you to shove yourself, especially since there isn't anything else filling in that gap.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Telekinetic feat: can you telekinetically shove yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cap View Post
    Using your own telekinetic powers to move around could also be considered not forced either.

That simply not what the rules say.
    What do the rules say?
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    What do the rules say?
    I already quoted them multiple times. As far as I'm concerned, my arguments have been fully presented.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    What do the rules say?
    As quoted in this thread before, if the fact of moving involves your action or reaction, it does trigger opportunity attacks.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Coeruleum View Post
    RAW you can and I have. It doesn't seem to break anything since you already get so few feats in 5e, exclusive with stat increases unless you get bonus feats, and you're spending a whole one on this plus the componentless (and maybe extended range) invisible mage hand, so I think there's no reason to ban it, either, even if maybe other telekinetic effects specify you shouldn't use them on yourself. 3.5e has a telekinesis discipline Psionic Fly and Psionic Overland Flight, but 3.5e gives you way more psionic powers than 5e gives you feats, so it makes sense to allow you to shove yourself, especially since there isn't anything else filling in that gap.
    Ummm, sweat pecan pie motivated reasoning…delicious🃏

So we are ignoring that you are pushing one’s self towards or away from one’s bodily self…which as has been point out..can get sorta of messy….

…….We are also ignoring the fact that the Shove rules contain an error, (not explicitly stating one can not shove one’s self), which is replicated in the similar verbiage of the Telekinetic Feat…….

….furthermore, now, we are using the 3e as a justification for assuming a wildly expansive ruling for 5e….because, evidently the two systems are so similar.

Folks, why isn’t it just alright to say: “yeah, this self push/pull is not intended, but I think it is cool..so I run my game this way”.

Rule of Cool, is a great justification, and also makes it clear that this is a singular sort of ruling for a particular gaming group. Not, (as is being argued by some) an universally applicable, iron clad rule.

Phoenix Phyre gave a great example of a DM applying Rule of Cool, in this very thread.
    Last edited by Thunderous Mojo; 2022-11-26 at 12:13 AM.