New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default This Hasn't Happened In A While *Michael Langdon vs Doctor Strange*

Michael Langdon, the Alpha Warlock of American Horror Story, vs Doctor Strange, from the MCU. This is Doctor Strange at his most powerful.
    Michael Langdon has mastered The Seven Wonders, Telekinesis, Concilium (Mind Control), Vitalum Vitalis (Life Energy manipulation), Pyrokinesis (He can destroy souls with it.), Descensium (Astral Projection) Divination, and Transmutation (Teleportation). He is also super humanly strong (Wall level), and has a fast healing factor. He can also use telekinesis to control the weather.

The Sorcerer Supreme, Doctor Strange of the MCU has teleportation, eldritch magic use in order to conjure weapons, shields, and spells of a wide variety. He even has some elemental control. A more thorough list of his spells and powers is here: (Note, he cannot use time travel, as he no longer has the Eye of Agamotto.)

https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fand..._and_Abilities

Warlocks are generally inferior to MCU sorcerers from what I've seen, but Michael is generally more powerful than any other spell caster in AHS up to season 8.
    A more thorough list of his spells and powers is here.

https://americanhorrorstory.fandom.c...Langdon#Powers
    Last edited by ArlEammon; 2022-11-22 at 11:31 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: This Hasn't Happened In A While *Michael Langdon vs Doctor Strange*

In raw combat or a head to head comparison of might? Probably Langdon. Checking the wiki linked Langdon appears to just actually be a fairly high-level demon rather than a human magic user, and while Dr. Strange is supposed to deal with that kind of thing (and usually successfully does), he quite rarely does so by just blasting them apart with magical might. Although the MCU's penchant for spectacle fight scenes might make that more feasible, they kind of amp up Strange's direct combat feats there... still, 'traditional' Strange would be to get overpowered in a confrontation, make an escape, and then use his knowledge and collection of mystic artifacts to come up with a spell or ritual that would allow him to bind, banish, or compel Langdon to make a binding promise that would prevent him from interfering with Strange's domain.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Moved to Media Discussions.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

The bulk of Langdon's powers are due to him being something we can't discuss on this forum, so ultimately it will depend on how much that aspect of his character matters to the match-up. In the AHS universe it matters a great deal, but in the MCU it wouldn't matter a hill of beans, so it all depends.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The bulk of Langdon's powers are due to him being something we can't discuss on this forum, so ultimately it will depend on how much that aspect of his character matters to the match-up. In the AHS universe it matters a great deal, but in the MCU it wouldn't matter a hill of beans, so it all depends.
    Spoiler: AHS spoilers
    Show
    Also he ultimately gets taken out by getting run over by a car he didn't see coming. Driven by a time traveling witch, but still, run over by a car.

Langdon also didn't display any dimensional hopping abilities, so just trapping him in the mirror realm seems like a quick and easy end to the fight. My money is on Dr. Strange.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Spoiler: AHS spoilers
    Show
    Also he ultimately gets taken out by getting run over by a car he didn't see coming. Driven by a time traveling witch, but still, run over by a car.

Langdon also didn't display any dimensional hopping abilities, so just trapping him in the mirror realm seems like a quick and easy end to the fight. My money is on Dr. Strange.
    DIdn't this guy literally walk through a mirror, emerging out of another reflective surface?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ArlEammon View Post
    DIdn't this guy literally walk through a mirror, emerging out of another reflective surface?
    Not sure how that'd play out. According to the Ancient One:
    The Mirror Dimension, ever present but undetected. The real world isn't affected by what happens here. We use the Mirror Dimension to train, surveil, and sometimes to contain threats

But then in Dr. Strange Multiverse of Madness
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wanda is able to escape by liquifying parts of the mirror dimension and jump puddles between dimensions, but then she also had chaos magic and the Darkhold at her command

So really you could argue either way on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Whatever the AHS equivalent to the Darkhold is, I'd suspect this guy probably wrote it.

The question though, is if the Mirror Realm is the same thing as being able to travel through mirrors - Strange has always needed to open an actual portal between the two dimensions, with or without reflective surfaces handy.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Whatever the AHS equivalent to the Darkhold is, I'd suspect this guy probably wrote it.

The question though, is if the Mirror Realm is the same thing as being able to travel through mirrors - Strange has always needed to open an actual portal between the two dimensions, with or without reflective surfaces handy.
    Despite MCU magic being superior to AHS, the magic is clearly different. I suspect Michael could just escape at least as well as Wanda, despite having less power than her.

10. - Top - End - #10

Despite MCU magic being superior to AHS, the magic is clearly different. I suspect Michael could just escape at least as well as Wanda, despite having less power than her.
    That was sort of my point but is also tangential to the actual question - MCU magic might be superior to AHS, but Michael is a far more skilled dark sorcerer than Wanda so the difference is at best equalized.

My question was if Wanda had ever been in the Mirror Dimension at all, rather than using a different type of travel magic, but a quick peek at the MCU Wiki says that Strange did indeed trap her there at one point and she got out.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Dr. Strange would easily defeat Michael Landon. The only magic in Little House on the Prairie was the magic of hope and traditional family values.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgar View Post
    Dr. Strange would easily defeat Michael Landon. The only magic in Little House on the Prairie was the magic of hope and traditional family values.
    How dare you mock the magic of hope and traditional values!!! That's the most powerful kind

13. - Top - End - #13

GnomePirate

How dare you mock the magic of hope and traditional values!!! That's the most powerful kind
    I am pretty sure hope and traditional values couldn't have figured out the endgame for Thanos.

14. - Top - End - #14

I mean, no one even tried to buy Thanos off using Hostess Fruit Pies, with their flaky crust and real fruit filling.

15. - Top - End - #15

GnomePirate

I mean, no one even tried to buy Thanos off using Hostess Fruit Pies, with their flaky crust and real fruit filling.
    Now that the MCU is a Multiverse, it's entirely possible this happened in some alternate reality.

16. - Top - End - #16

Considering the Thanos Copter was canonized in Loki, you might be right. Though that might also have been one of the futures Strange saw where they didn't win.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

It worked, kinda. Michael Landon and his family got to be in the 50% that lived after being such good hosts and showcasing such strong values.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Considering the Thanos Copter was canonized in Loki, you might be right. Though that might also have been one of the futures Strange saw where they didn't win.
    Considering that Strange looked into so (relatively) few futures that if Thanos was a powerball ticket there'd only be a 1 in 3 chance they won, I would be surprised.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

They're saving those for Galactus.