New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Music for game?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Music for game?

Hey all -

My wife is about to start running her first ever campaign (Rime of the Frost Maiden) after a few years of being strictly a player. She's really trying to do it up right, and is thinking about making a playlist of various music to have running in the background. To help her out, I've got two questions:

First - what's the best way to do this software-and-hardware-wise? She's got an iPad and phone, we've got our aging laptop; what apps do this work the smoothest? Keep in mind she's thinking of being able to switch from one playlist to another as situations change in-game.

Second - what are everyone's favorites when it comes to tracks? I was thinking of organizing things into three broad categories: combat, mysterious/suspenseful, and sort of innocuous, low-key background fantasy music for when nothing major is going on.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Music for game?

I just use a laptop with the factory speakers, but some bluetooth speaker might be nice.

I use Spotify to make playlists and switch between them. You'll need to pony up for a paid membership; ad breaks in the middle of a dungeon are pretty immersion breaking.

For playlists, there's a good collection on reddit's r/DMToolkit.
    My free solo digital gamebooks for 5e are available on itch.io: sayeth.itch.io

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

I personally use Youtube on open internet tabs, if/when I want music in the game.

I admit it can be a bit meh to juggle tabs, but it let me avoid needing a specific app.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

This is exactly what my wife does. She really loves to create the setting. Only difference is she was my first DM and got me into the game. I kind of learned from her.

That being said, she uses YouTube with ads free and has preset upwards of 200 different playlists, about half of which are D&D/board gaming relevant and the other half personal. She can switch between any of them fairly easy. They’re mostly a massive collection of various pieces from soundtracks across countless video games.

Personally RPG Ambient Sounds has been very useful for me. I also had an app that was a sound board for various effects some time ago. Initially it was really cool and received high praise, but it quickly became more effort than it was worth.
    Last edited by animorte; 2022-11-22 at 01:54 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I use my EchoDot and have it play "Chamber Music." The occasional ad breaks are useful reminders that people need bio breaks.
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Dio: Don't talk to strangers
    Don't pay the ferryman
    Dio: the last in line
    Dio: Rainbow in the dark
    Iron Maiden: the duelist

Those come to mind
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    Dio: Don't talk to strangers
    Don't pay the ferryman
    Dio: the last in line
    Dio: Rainbow in the dark
    Iron Maiden: the duelist

Those come to mind
    ...feel like the estate of Ronny James Dio should get you on their payroll!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by GriffinRider View Post
    ...feel like the estate of Ronny James Dio should get you on their payroll!
    Been a fan since the 80s. But his music tends to be very fantasy inspired.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

One suggestion for a variety or theme of music is to have a 'tomfoolery' soundtrack. You can play it when the characters get into something silly that doesn't seem like it would work. You can use it to reinforce levity, or to subtly suggest that perhaps the players are wasting time.

Also, you can use the drowning music from Sonic as a countdown timer. Scary every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

This playlist has various songs done with medieval sounding instruments
    https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...1W8wY_P0QsiVkb
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Shorthand: I go to youtube and pick something thematically appropriate that has a 3+hr runtime.

Some notes from the front:
    Don't play music in the middle of the table, or from the same direction the DM is speaking. It will just interfere with people talking. If you've got speakers scattered around your house or you have a single device you can play from, place it off to the side. Most homes will echo the sound somewhat to give it a more "it's in the background". You want people to feel like they're IN the situation, not in front of a movie screen.

Make sure the volume is kept low, no matter how much you love this song or how appropriate it is. It's BGM. This is a mistake even big-screen features make.

Don't undervalue SILENCE. The moments when there is NO sound can be far more impactful than the moments where there is.

Respect when a player asks you to pause the music or turn it off because they can't hear or they've got a headache. Valuing the well-being of your players goes a lot further than the right music choices.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Good suggestions, all. Thanks everyone.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

If you plan on recording the game and posting it, you should make sure the music is royalty free, even if it isn't, it's also a good generic brand choice for music.

Kevin Macleod has great and instantly recognizable music, including music with a fantasy and adventure theme.

Here is a 4 hour video, someone suggested long videos and they are right, too short and you have to stop and put on a new one all the time.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Two Steps from Hell (search YouTube) has some awesome background music. Here's more epic music. After that, I'm partial to atmospheric black metal (Can Bardd, Durthang, etc).
    Emongnome

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Deserves a mention:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOkT...3QqCel2hRYLwC-
    (Rime Of The Frostmaiden Soundtrack by Travis Savoie )

The channel also has shorter tracks and soundtracks for other adventures.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

For Frost Maiden, search Viking music on YouTube.