New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 42 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XIV

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    "You've had... not much luck telling Sforza about any of this, have you?"
    Elsa grunted. "Haven't spoken with the Prince in a while. And then there's the matter of convincing him to let Wadim look at the Book. How much should we even tell Sforza about who Wadim is?"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I somehow missed the part about getting Hieronymus out of Savonne. The best place for a scholarly type like him would likely be Putbad. Perhaps he can room at Elsa's rental house? That would make up for Elsa crashing on his couch during her work to decipher Nehekharan hieroglyphs.

@ LeSwordfish: Are we still in the hall, or at Marjan's? Just trying to picture the scene.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2023-05-26 at 08:37 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Titan in the Playground

"You should have just told Wadim "no", I think," Ludo said. "It's never going to get anywhere, and I don't know if we want to spend goodwill on trying."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Hieronymous steps down as high priest temporarily and gets out of the city" was Sforza's response to his posession. Ludo's plan is to invite him to Painford.

I'm assuming this is Marjans.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Titan in the Playground

"I feel we'll need the Vrani before all is said and done," said Elsa, her eyes flitting across the crowded room. "And even if we can't get Wadim a look at the Book, we can at least have him meet Skorgrund. The keeper of the Vrani's oral histories, and the keeper of the dwarfs' written records. Could be enlightening."

As long as the dwarfs don't have the Vrani in their big book.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    We need a Council of Elrond involving the party, Wadim, Skorgrund, Hieronymus, and the church of Morr.

"Hieronymous steps down as high priest temporarily and gets out of the city" was Sforza's response to his posession. Ludo's plan is to invite him to Painford.
    Ah, okay. It'll be up to Hieronymus to decide where he wants to go.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2023-05-26 at 10:34 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Titan in the Playground

"That would be useful," Ludo admitted. "As for needing the Vrani... look, out of Wadim and Sforza, Wadim is the one who isn't the prince, which means he'll need to be the adult in the room."
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2023-05-26 at 09:04 AM.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    [Wadim watched the soldiers march off with a close regard. They hadn't been bothered at all about the unkempt old man with the stick.

"So that's how things are," he said, half to himself. He looked up at Bardhyl. "Not the warm welcome you'd have liked, hm?"

Around them, there was still a circle of onlookers, unwilling either to get too close or to stray too far. Wadim spared them a glance, and patted Bardhyl on the arm. "I think there are a few people I should talk to," he said. "A bit of work to do, explaining how two dead men came to walk back in the gate. We can meet up later. Outside the forge, at sundown."
    Bardhyl shrugged and flashed the old man a white-toothed grin. "It's almost exactly as I expected, actually, though I admit having to hand off all our weapons is...inconvenient. People got no trust these days," he chuckled.

"Don't get into any trouble while you're about town. We're all out of rescues for the week," he joked as Wadim set off.

"Looks like we've got some time on our hands, so how about a drink?" he suggested to his crew. "There's used to be watering hole run by a fellow by the name of Marjan not far from here. There might even be some stew on the fire."

At Marjan's
    "When we go inside, I'm going to need you to do all the talking, Grim. Anyone in there who knows me or knows of me is going to go out of their way not to talk to me or even acknowledge that I'm in the room. Doesn't mean they won't accept my coin as long as it's coming from you, though," he instructed his second-in-command.

"Now there's a chance that some who consider themselves righteous vrani may pick a fight with Zana, Kreshnik or Afrim for being seen with me, but let's try and stay civil if that happens, eh? Fists only and no drawing blood unless they come at us with intent to cause serious harm, understand?"

"That goes doubly for you Waldon - you stop drinking when I tell you to, and you keep your tongue in check and hands to yourself. I don't need a riot on my hands because you decide to grope the wrong lass or spit in some hard man's face," he warned the Bretonnian.

"Right then, let's get inside and see what the welcome's like..."

Spoiler: @LCP
    Show
    Timing wise it seems likely that Bardhyl and crew would have made it to Marjan's before Elsa and Ludo, but if you find it easier to have them there already I'm fine with that.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Titan in the Playground

Morr's Seat

Stepping out into the winding streets that crowded the crag, Elsa had to go almost to the outer fall to find what she was looking for. Sitting at a stall stacked with sheep-skins, the tanner was haggling with a trio of dusty-looking herdsmen over acquiring a few more. It sounded like he was driving a hard bargain.

Elsa dumping the wyvern skin at his feet certainly got his attention, as well as that of several passers-by. Nobody asked where it had come from - clearly word was already getting around.

Unfolding the ragged, sticky bundle and holding it up to the sunlight, the tanner clicked his tongue against his teeth, and mumbled something in vranspel. "I can give it a try," he said, seeming a little doubtful of his own abilities. His manner changed when he heard how much Elsa was offering, an avaricious gleam coming into his eye. "Yes, I can do this for you. Will just need three, maybe four days to soak " He folded the hide over his arm. "It's a big piece."

When Elsa inquired about clothes, he said he didn't make them - but his wife did. She could have the items Elsa wanted ready in about the same time it would take to cure the wyvern leather, he said, and since Elsa was already bringing them custom, she'd only charge another crown.

Inside Marjan's, it was much as Bardhyl had predicted. An air of deathly silence descended as he stepped over the threshold, the people inside looking in any other direction rather than meet his gaze. He was pretty sure they were staring pretty hard when he wasn't looking.

Grim and the others went up, and came back with horn mugs of kefir and a few bowls of something closer to bone broth than stew. Waldon took one swig from his mug and spat.

"What is this stuff?" he said. "It tastes like Taal's armpit."
    "It's goat's milk," said Zana, mildly amused. "It's good for you."
    "Do I look like a goat?" said Waldon. "Where's the wine?"
    "No vineyards around here, mon amee," said Kreshnik, deliberately mispronouncing the Breton words. He lifted his mug. "Drink up."

They sat together for a while, filling their bellies, resting their legs, and listening to the hushed whispers around them. The little drinking hall seemed to be filling up rather than emptying out - so much so that by the time Elsa and the others arrived it was a challenge to find seats. Marjan himself seemed distracted, unable to stop himself glancing in Bardhyl's direction.

"There's even more people in town than last time I was here. You must be doing good business."
    Marjan mumbled something under his breath, still looking over at Bardhyl's band. Ludo thought he could just make it out: "Your tax men are, at least."

At last he tore his eyes away and looked at Elsa. "Didn't expect to see you back, your wizardship," he said. "I think most folk you saw here last time haven't left. Conditions out in the hills just keep getting worse."

Without being asked, he lined up four mugs, and reached for a skin of kefir. "People come to the Seat looking for work, or help, or answers. Work's the best they get, mostly."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Let me know when you're ready to advance to Bardhyl's rendezvous with Wadim.

Painford

Leni listened politely to Sieghard's tale-telling, though she didn't seem to find it gripping - if anything, she winced when Sieghard described situations where her brother had been in danger.

"... Actually, if I'm remembering it right, your sister and father were with him. Have they told you this one?"
    "They told me they were waylaid on the road," said Leni. "Father didn't want to talk about it much. I think he was quite shaken up by the whole thing."
    Last edited by LCP; 2023-05-27 at 02:59 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

7. - Top - End - #577
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard nodded. "Well, it's no surprise he'd be shaken up over it." He had dropped the storyteller tone he had been using and was now deadly serious. "Especially since it was the princess who had ordered the attack."

8. - Top - End - #578
    Titan in the Playground

Painford

Leni looked so startled that if she had a drink, she'd have spat it out.

"What?" she squeaked. "W - why?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

9. - Top - End - #579
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Because Elsa had asked to have your brother speak for her at her trial," Sieghard replied. "Irene Sforza is an orc in a fancy dress with pretty face painted on. She hates Elsa and for no reason better than that, she ordered your brother killed. And if the rest of your family was close enough to see it, she was fine with them being killed as well."

"They escaped with their lives. Not everyone was so lucky. And all of that caused some trouble for the princess when Ludo turned up in Manaan's Keep, quite alive. I'll spare you the details, but the trial ended up with Irene's doctor and half the company of mercenaries she used for the attack losing their heads instead of Elsa."

He gave Leni a moment to take all that in before asking. "You said the princess personally asked to have your husband as royal cook. Do you think there might be something other than food that she's after?"
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2023-05-27 at 03:32 PM.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Titan in the Playground

"Didn't expect to see you back, your wizardship. I think most folk you saw here last time haven't left. Conditions out in the hills just keep getting worse."

"Drought and dust storms?" asked Elsa, trying to probe if there was more. "Not much I can do about that, I'm afraid."

She took a sip from her mug and tried not to make a face. "I took care of the goblin chief a few days back, but they must have a new one already. Hopefully an even stupider one."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground

Morr's Seat

Elsa got the distinct impression that she could say she'd been crowned Emperor and still got the same distracted nod from Marjan. His attention was far too taken up with the party in the corner.

"Goblins is goblins," was all he said. "Is there anything else you were wanting?"

~

It wasn't too long before the sun began to sink in the west. Heading up to where the forge stood, on the highest point of the crag, Bardhyl waited for Wadim to appear. The old man took his time - by the time Bardhyl spotted him coming up the street, the stars were already out.

Spoiler: Bardhyl and Wadim
    Show
    "There you are," said Wadim, as if Bardhyl was the one who was late. "How are you finding it? Being home."

He took a seat on a stone, and motioned for Bardhyl to do the same. "I've been speaking to a few people. A lot of people, actually. Still need to speak to a few more. But the good news is, there's a… general feeling, if you like… that what's done can be undone." He paused, and gave a crooked smile. "The wyrm-slaying helps there. Very neatly timed."

"So!" he said, leaning forward and rubbing his gnarled hands together. "Now, the only question is - whether I want to." He fixed Bardhyl with a shrewd eye. "Believe it or not, it's not just you I've been talking about. I've been hearing a lot about how things are here now… and believe me, nobody's holding back."

"You've still got two eyes in your head, Bardhyl," he said. "What do you make of it? First impressions."

Painford

Leni hesitated, open-mouthed. "Well," she said, "I don't - I mean if Ludo…" She trailed off. "Rudi is good," she added, defensively.

She looked around, suddenly concerned about being overheard. "I mean, if that were true - if she really wanted Ludo dead - why wouldn't she just order it? She's the Princess, isn't she?" Her voice had the tone of someone looking for order in a newly-upturned world. "Why get Rudi involved? And what - what am I supposed to do?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #582
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"I can't answer that for you," Sieghard said, "I'm telling you all of this because you'd be walking blind into whatever trap Irene has for you if I didn't."

"She doesn't order him killed because her husband would be furious if he found out - the first time caused enough problems. Whatever she's scheming, she has to be subtle about it. And don't get any ideas about going to him. The prince is blind to anything he doesn't want to see and would never take your word or mine over hers."

"It's Ludo she's after in the end. Whether she still wants him dead, wants to send a message, or wants some sort of leverage over him, I can only guess. What I do know is that if she has to hurt you to get to him or Rudi to get to you, she'll do it without a second thought."

13. - Top - End - #583
    Titan in the Playground

"Is there anything else you were wanting?"

"Carry on," said Elsa, a tad disappointed that her inquiries had turned up nothing new.

She knew that her status as Sforza's wizard made it difficult to chat with locals. Not for the first time, she wished she could blend into crowds and pretend to be a stranger in town, but her face tattoos made that difficult. Seventeen-year-old Elsa and her willingness to accept any stupid dare after four drinks had a lot to answer for.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2023-05-30 at 08:23 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler: Bardhyl and Wadim
    Show
    "There you are," said Wadim, as if Bardhyl was the one who was late. "How are you finding it? Being home."

"Quiet. Deathly quiet, even," Bardhyl chuckled.

He took a seat on a stone, and motioned for Bardhyl to do the same. "I've been speaking to a few people. A lot of people, actually. Still need to speak to a few more. But the good news is, there's a… general feeling, if you like… that what's done can be undone." He paused, and gave a crooked smile. "The wyrm-slaying helps there. Very neatly timed."

"It seemed appropriate to make a proper entrance and remind people that even the most fearsome monsters can be struck down," Bardhyl waved away the compliment.

"So!" he said, leaning forward and rubbing his gnarled hands together. "Now, the only question is - whether I want to." He fixed Bardhyl with a shrewd eye. "Believe it or not, it's not just you I've been talking about. I've been hearing a lot about how things are here now… and believe me, nobody's holding back."

"You've still got two eyes in your head, Bardhyl," he said. "What do you make of it? First impressions."

"You're doing it again, old man. Testing me like I was still your apprentice. It's getting tiresome," Bardhyl snorted. "You want my impressions? Fine. The Tilean's man - Carraciolo? - knew what he was doing when he made an example of the raiders and the people are wary of giving him cause to come back for another go. But, conditions are bad out in the hills, driving the herders to seek shelter in Morr's Seat, and the Tilean understands that desperate people will do desperate things. That's why he's put a full thirty men here as a garrison and why they disarmed us. I assume they've also disarmed - or at least tried to - as many people in Morr's Seat as possible?"

"Morr's Seat is a powder keg, but it's not ready to blow yet. Nor should it - there's no hope of success while the Jackal is abroad and the Tilean has the rest of the Reaches to call upon if the clans were to try anything. That's my impression,"
    he finished.
    Last edited by rax; 2023-05-29 at 04:37 PM.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Titan in the Playground

Morr's Seat

Spoiler: Bardhyl & Wadim
    Show
    "I assume they've also disarmed - or at least tried to - as many people in Morr's Seat as possible?"
    "Just you and your friends, actually," said Wadim. He grinned. "Their sergeant must have an eye for trouble."

"Morr's Seat is a powder keg, but it's not ready to blow yet. Nor should it - there's no hope of success while the Jackal is abroad and the Tilean has the rest of the Reaches to call upon if the clans were to try anything. That's my impression,"
    "Mm," said Wadim. "And suppose the Jackal is defeated, and the Tilean keeps his crown. What hope will there be then?" He looked around, scanning the darkened streets of the town. They were empty, apart from a couple of scrounging dogs. "Precious little leverage, at least. Your friend, the wizard - she came out here because we have something she wants. How long do you think she'll remember us, once she's got it?"

With a stiff-kneed grunt, he rose back to his feet. "Come," he said. "Let's talk somewhere more private."

Where most of Morr's Seat had at least a thin layer of earth, the forge was built on bare rock. Wadim paced around the foot of the limestone outcropping, running his hands over the rocks until he found what he was looking for - a loose slab of stone, its face marked with carvings so old they had been worn practically to nothing.

Using his stick as a lever, he moved it aside. On the other side was a passage, barely wide enough to squeeze down in single file, leading down into darkness. Producing a small clay lamp, Wadim lit it and led the way.

The passage was a natural fissure in the rock, worked by tools only where it would otherwise have been too narrow to pass. It led down twenty or thirty feet before other crevices crossed its path, forming a kind of crossroads where the two men had space to turn and face each other.

Hollows had been chipped out of the rock walls here - rough alcoves whose stone shelves held relics. Yellowed skulls, rust-eaten swords, helmets of the old vrani style. Most looked like they would crumble to pieces if anyone picked them up.

"You know where this is, don't you, Bardhyl," said Wadim, setting down his lamp. He spoke softly, but still his voice echoed from the rock that pressed in around them. "These are the bones of the chiefs."

Bardhyl understood immediately. These rusting old blades were not just iron - they were ancestor weapons. The memory of the chiefs of Morr's Seat, left here until the slow drip of water made them part of the rock itself.

"They say Korvin himself is down here somewhere," said Wadim. "I was a young man when I took Barbas' spear down here, that had been forged for his father Edon. I think that was the last time this place was opened." He looked around, taking a deep breath of the cool, stale air. "Whoever claimed they were king of the valleys, our kings remained here."

"Of course, you'd hardly remember the last time we had a chief like that. Harman was a thief, and Rorik… well, you and I had our differences there, but he wasn't vrani. But even then, even on their worst days, this was where the Raven Hills were ruled. Morr's Seat. Our home."

"Now, I hear, we're ruled from Savonne. Two fifths of our livestock; three fifths of our iron. That's what those soldiers are taking to send back to the lowlands, so I'm told. They tell me they've even taken the old throne back to Alvarran as a trophy - the seat Barbas died on." He paused. "How's that for a message?"

"Morr's Seat has always been our home. If we lose this, we'll have nothing left. We'll be like the goblins." Wadim's probing air was gone - for once, he seemed deadly serious. "Of course you're right, that this isn't the time to be picking new fights. But when that time comes, we have to be ready. And we can't wield a sword when we're on our knees."

"You said when you found me that our people needed me. But I'm an old man, Bardhyl, and I already led them astray once before. What these people need is a leader they can believe in, to remind them that the vrani should rule themselves. You want me to bring you back into the land of the living?" The lamplight gleamed bright in his good eye, and for a moment, in that rocky crypt, Bardhyl caught himself wondering whether the question was purely metaphorical. "I want you to be that man."

Painford

Leni was getting paler and paler as Sieghard went on. When she spoke, it was in a very small voice.

"I… I can't just go back. I mean, I could… but Rudi can't. What would he say? Where could we go?" She swallowed "Ludo - you said Ludo, Ludo's away? He must have a plan, a, a way to fix this…"

Sieghard realised that the flow of words wasn't stopping any time soon. With tears in her eyes, Leni seemed to be having quiet but nonetheless total nervous breakdown.

"I… I don't know what to do…"
    Last edited by LCP; 2023-12-31 at 10:06 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Ludo shouldn't be away for too long," Sieghard said, "You're welcome to stay here until he returns If you want to speak with him about all of this. I know it's a lot to take in."

"There was one more thing," he added after Leni had a moment to compose herself. "That bodyguard of yours. Was he someone your family hired or was he sent from Savonne to fetch you?"

17. - Top - End - #587
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Jarla - Morr's Seat

Jarla finally arrived to join Elsa and Tattie. She looked strangely drab and uncomfortable in the nondescript yet masculine clothing that had been all Orso could provide. Her copper hair hung loose and unadorned (foolishly she'd left Ida at home.) Still it had been better than the alternative. Maybe she could buy some clothes somewhere here.

"Any news?" she asked the wizardess, trying to find a seat for herself and thinking she'd like something alcoholic right about now.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Titan in the Playground

"Any news?"

Elsa shook her head. "Nothing important. Just the Raven Hills being the Raven Hills."

She gave Jarla a long look. "You been alright? Since, um, kicking out your roommate?"
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2023-05-31 at 02:52 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Show
    "Morr's Seat has always been our home. If we lose this, we'll have nothing left. We'll be like the goblins." Wadim's probing air was gone - for once, he seemed deadly serious. "Of course you're right, that this isn't the time to be picking new fights. But when that time comes, we have to be ready. And we can't wield a sword when we're on our knees."

"You said when you found me that our people needed me. But I'm an old man, Bardhyl, and I already led them astray once before. What these people need is a leader they can believe in, to remind them that the vrani should rule themselves. You want me to bring you back into the land of the living?" The lamplight gleamed bright in his good eye, and for a moment, in that rocky crypt, Bardhyl caught himself wondering whether the question was purely metaphorical. "I want you to be that man."
    "You WHAT?" Bardhyl exclaimed in shock. "How...how can you believe that the vrani would ever follow me? It's true I had ambitions when I was your apprentice, but I only ever wanted to guide our people, not to rule them. And I have no claim to kingship anyway - no ancestor of mine ever sat on the throne of Morr's Seat. The people I do lead are outcasts and bandits, bound to me through promises of wealth or redemption. What can I possibly offer the vrani that they would agree to follow me?"

20. - Top - End - #590
    Titan in the Playground

Painford

"I hired him in Mirino," said Leni, glancing over her shoulder. She was quick enough on the uptake to get the implication, and the thought seemed to worry her. "I didn't want to make the journey alone along the hill road... we all heard what happened in Caerfort." Her voice became very quiet. "He is Iron Company though. Retired..."

Morr's Seat

Show
    "You want to wait for somebody with a birthmark and a magic sword, hm?" said Wadim, gently. "If you know someone like that, I'm all ears."

"I've been asking around, seeing who's left here that people still listen to. Seems like young Alin's made himself a go-between with the soldiers, trying to smooth things over." Bardhyl vaguely remembered Alin - he wouldn't have called him 'young', but from Wadim's perspective probably everyone was. "But there's only so far you can bend before you break your back. People are calling him lickspittle. Danut, people respect him, but he was never much for talking." The smith of Morr's Seat had always held a special position in the community. "You said it yourself, Bardhyl, you're a leader. A rogue too, maybe, but maybe that's what we need. Tell me you haven't dealt with men like this Sergeant Orso before."

He took a deep breath, and looked up at one of the skulls in the alcoves. It looked like one of the more recent ones.

"I'm not asking to put a crown on your head tomorrow. The people will make up their own minds, in time. But they need help now, if they're going to survive. I'm asking you to help them."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

21. - Top - End - #591
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"If you hired him yourself, then you should be safe... Until you reach the city, that is. After that I'd find an excuse to let him go. He was loyal to the princess first, and she can pay better than you can."

22. - Top - End - #592
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Jarla

"You been alright? Since, um, kicking out your roommate?"

"Well it is pretty roomy up there if you are thinking I should invite someone else," Jarla joked, her smile not quite reaching her eyes and not lasting long in any case. As it faded entirely she looked tired and old. "I think I'm alright. I guess I won't know for sure until I'm near the book again, and that isn't the most comforting thought."

She sighed and looked around to see if she could spot anyone she could order a drink from. "What's the plan now?"

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Show
    "You want to wait for somebody with a birthmark and a magic sword, hm?" said Wadim, gently. "If you know someone like that, I'm all ears."
    "Under the circumstances, a magic sword would be nice," Bardhyl grunted in response.

He took a deep breath, and looked up at one of the skulls in the alcoves. It looked like one of the more recent ones.

"I'm not asking to put a crown on your head tomorrow. The people will make up their own minds, in time. But they need help now, if they're going to survive. I'm asking you to help them."
    For a moment, Bardhyl looked like he was about to fire off another protestation, but instead he began to chuckle and then laughed out loud. "Alright, alright! I'll do it! But Morr save us, things must really be desperate if I'm the best chance our people have!"

"So, what's our next move?"

24. - Top - End - #594
    Titan in the Playground

"I want to talk to Wadim," Ludo said. "Get his story and his people's stories in better detail. Then I'm going back to Painford through Savonne: Hieronymous will be leaving Savonne and I wanted to offer him a room in Painford. Sieghard needs to know what happened, too. Not just the important things but I want to see his face when I tell him we killed the Wyvern without him."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is indeed Ludo's IC plan for "tomorrow" - find Wadim, and get as much information from him as possible, in as much detail as possible, ideally written down. I'll have an OOC think about the questions for that.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Titan in the Playground

Painford

"You think I should go to the city then?" said Leni. She chewed her thumbnail nervously. "I suppose if I just wrote to Rudi, someone might read it..."

Morr's Seat

Show
    "Give me one more day," said Wadim. "I'll let people know what's happening. Get things ready. The next sunrise, we'll bring you back into the fold."

Marktag, 15th Sigmarzeit - Morr's Seat

The next morning, Ludo had his work cut out finding Wadim. Morr's Seat felt like a small place, but it packed a lot of people inside its old wooden walls - and Wadim seemed to have been seen everywhere, but nowhere for long.

"Aye, we saw him here here yesterday."
    "Saw him up at the forge this morning, talking to Danut."
    "He was round here just now, looking for Ljena. Not sure where he's gone to next."

At last, Ludo found him back by the gate, talking to a couple of old women in the Raven Hills tongue. He greeted Ludo with a smile and a nod.

"Ludo, isn't it?" he said. "I hear you're looking for me."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

26. - Top - End - #596
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"I think there's danger whether you go or don't," Sieghard said. "I don't imagine the princess would give up just because one scheme failed."

"Let's say you did send him a letter and it got to him without someone loyal to Irene reading it first. You know your husband better than I do. Would he believe the princess has some reason to harm you or him? And if he did believe it would he leave the city or would he try to do something else about it? Even if he did leave, would he get away unnoticed?"

"There's no need to decide right away. I think it best to wait for your brother to return and come up with a plan. Either to protect you or to get Rudi safely out of the city."

27. - Top - End - #597
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo nodded. "I can't stay much longer, but wanted to get as much information as I could about the jackal before I left, and you know better than anyone else. Perhaps over a drink?"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo's first question for Wadim is that he wants to hear as much as he can about the hillfolk's stories of the jackal. His second question is for more detail on Wadim's personal story, particularly of his encounter with Klammenberg.

(1d100)[93] as a Charm test - Ludo is aware Wadim can be a bit tricky or evasive so won't have much tolerance for prevarication and wants to get the information he can.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Titan in the Playground

14th Sigmarzeit – Painford

“That – that does sound best,” said Leni, in her small, frightened voice. “If you don’t mind me staying – if the offer still stands, I mean. A very kind offer.”

She looked back towards her guard. “What about Luca? Will he – I mean, should I send him home? How soon will Ludo be back?”

15th Sigmarzeit – Morr’s Seat

“Kind of you to offer, said Wadim. “I’m a little busy at the moment, though. Maybe later? I can find you at Marjan’s.” He looked up at the roof of the longhouse, where six or seven ravens were roosting. “In the old days I would have said the hall, but as it is, I don’t think it’s quite the place.”

Ludo got the definite sense that the old man was up to something – and that if he pushed him on what it was, he would only get more smoke and riddles. Turning back to the two women he’d been talking to, Wadim shook each of them by the hand, and seemed to thank them in vranspel before heading off to a different part of town.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you want to try to get the gist of what he’s saying, as before you can try SL)(Reikspiel) at -20.

If you want to follow him and see what he’s up to then a Stealth check + some broad directions (e.g. if he goes into a building will you try to follow) will do for that.

It was much later in the day when Wadim came back to Marjan’s. It seemed like he knew everyone in Morr’s Seat, and unlike Bardhyl and his crew, everyone seemed happy to talk to him. He got sidetracked into a couple of chats just by walking in the door – and Ludo got the feeling that even the conversations he wasn’t part of were connected somehow.

“So!” said Wadim, making his way over to Ludo at last. As he sat down, Marjan brought them over a couple of drinks without having to be asked. “You wanted to talk?”

He listened to Ludo’s questions attentively enough. “If you want to talk old stories,” he said, “we could be here until the sun comes up. The battles of the Raven King; how Cunning Mavros tried to cheat the Jackal, and how the Jackal cheated Black Gilbert.” He raised his wiry eyebrows at Ludo. “Is it stories about something in particular you’re interested in?”

When Ludo’s questions moved on to Wadim himself, his lined face twisted into a wry smile. “There’s another long story,” he said. “I’m guessing you don’t want to hear all of that one, either.”

Ludo narrowed the question down to Klammenberg, and Wadim’s face grew more serious.

“The man from the north,” he said. “That was how Morr warned me of him, in dreams. A man from the north, and his silent companion. I persuaded Jarl Rorik to set watches for him, but it was no good in the end. He slipped through our fingers like a fish. By the time I tracked him down, the damage was already done.”

He sighed. “If you want to tell me how foolish it was to try to face him and Nahorek down alone, our friend Bardhyl told me already, and I can’t disagree. I thought there might be… just a chance to stop him there, before he regained any more strength. And if there was any kind of chance, it was worth taking, before there were no more chances left to take.” He shook his head. “I was wrong. I’m not your wizard friend – fire doesn’t shoot from my fingertips. I might as well have tried to shout down the wind.”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"That would probably be wise," Sieghard replied. "Let him know in the morning you decided to stay a bit longer to see Ludo. So long as he gets all of his pay, I don't imagine he'll mind having finished the job a bit early."

"It should be a week or so until Ludo returns. Best to send a letter to Rudi as well with an excuse for the delay... Just nothing that would tip Irene off if someone else reads it."

30. - Top - End - #600
    Titan in the Playground

Earlier
    Ludo still couldn't bring himself to trust the old man. Unobtrusively, he tried to follow Wadim.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo won't follow Wadim into any place he (Ludo) shouldn't be, such as a private house, but will for the bar etc, somewhere he can pretend to be legitimately.

SL:Reikspiel vs 28 [roll]1d100/roll], Stealth vs 92 [roll]1d100/roll]

Later
    "The jackal's here and it's going to be our job to put him back in the ground for another thousand years," Ludo said plainly. "Anything that will help with that. Anyone who fought him and won. How about Cunning Mavros? Or Black Gilbert, I think I know of him."

"I'm not going to call you foolish,"
    Ludo added, almost a little puzzled by the suggestion. "The first time we faced him in person, we burned down half the city, and that was all of us. But if I know exactly what happened, maybe it will let me know more about him."

He smiled wanly. "I'll tell you what we did wrong if you like. Only fair."