New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XIV

Jarla

Jarla hadn't much of an appetite so had scarcely eaten during the meal and was as surprised as the prince at Irene's request. Confused, but beginning to suspect the worst Jarla forced a smile. "Of course Your Highness."

At the appropriate time she departed for the kitchens to locate the cook and bring him back upstairs.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard had departed for Savonne about an hour after the royal party. He rode hard, taking the northern road through Arrow Heap and taking the ferry across the river. After arriving in the city, he avoided the keep and kept a low profile. Though they weren't doing anything they strictly shouldn't, how doubted Sforza would consider it a worthwhile adventure. As far as Sieghard was concerned, the prince didn't need to know their business in the Teeth.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Angestag, 3rd Sigmarzeit

The next day, the party met Bardhyl outside the north gate of the city, arriving in ones and twos from their various lodgings. Bardhyl could see they had come prepared. Ludo’s doughty pony was so loaded down with supplies that there was scarcely space for the halfling to perch on its back, with Stoutheart trotting along behind.

Jarla was the last to arrive, having been detained at the castle. Dressed in her fine riding clothes, she turned almost as many heads from the people going to and fro through the gate as the wizard and her apprentice. With their company of six complete, they rode out, turning left at the first well-trodden crossroads to strike due west into the Downs.

Out in the open country, the new spring was starting to soften some of the scars left by last year's war. Homes that had been ruined shells were being rebuilt; fields that had been the haunt of only foxes and fieldmice were being re-planted. Only those that stuck close to the streams that ran down into the Azril were showing any signs of new growth. Further away from what muddy trickles still flowed, the plains were yellow and dry. Hardy weeds clung to the cracked soil, and buzzards drifted in the clear Sigmarzeit sky, watching for the scurry of rodents under the wilted grass.

Ahead of them, the dusty-coloured peaks of the Teeth loomed high on the horizon, growing steadily larger as they made their way west. They still seemed distant when the sun began to sink behind them, painting the tops of the peaks red and gold. The six of them would be camping under the open sky tonight.

Spoiler: Bardhyl Only
    Show
    When Jarla had joined them at the gates, Bardhyl had thought there was something changed about her since the last time they had met. She seemed firmer of gaze, surer of purpose; no longer trying so hard to play a part. By the time midday had faded into afternoon, however, the impression had evaporated, leaving Bardhyl unsure it had ever been there at all.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I’ll leave any description of how you guys make camp to you, if you want to.

Festag, 4th Sigmarzeit

It was about noon the next day when Bardhyl led them to their destination. It didn’t look like much - but that was probably the point.

They were coming into the foothills of the Teeth, in a place where the dried-out pastures of the Downs gave way to a sparse covering of stunted trees. The dirt they grew in was dust-dry and iron-hard, but still they were putting out small, yellow-green leaves, showing how deep their roots must run.

A sooty limestone crag rose above the branches, a dwarfish cousin of the ones up on the heights. As they came around to its south side, they could see the dark mouth of a small cave at its base, half-hidden by the trees.

A thin, twisting trail of smoke gave a clue that the cave might be inhabited. As they rode their horses up towards it, two wild-looking men appeared from behind the trees, each with an arrow nocked to a bow. They had the look of the warriors who had accompanied Rorik at Arrow Heap.

“Chief!” called out the older of the two. His tone was guarded. “Good to see you back. These your guests?”

<I know who that is,> said the younger, in thick Raven Hills dialect. He jerked his head towards Elsa. <...Are you sure this is a good idea?>

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    For rax - this is Afrim and Damjan, out on routine watch duty. They’ll of course let you pass whatever you answer - if you want to describe the hideout and introduce the rest of your outlaws then feel free to go right ahead.

For everyone else, if you can pass SL(Reikspiel) at -30 you can get a rough understanding of what Bardhyl’s boys are saying in their hillfolk lingo.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Angestag, 3rd Sigmarzeit

At sunset, Elsa tied Bastard near a patch of yellow grass and set up her tent with Tatiana's help. "There's room for one more in here, if one of you doesn't have a tent," she informed the others. "But Khalida sleeps inside too. That's not negotiable. No worries, she's well-behaved."

Using some dry branches and logs she had gathered along the way, she started a fire with a plain old match. No sense in using magic for something so trivial.

Spoiler
    Show
    Each match has a 1/2 chance of lighting. Let's see how many it takes. (1 is a dud, 2 is a flame.)

(1d2)[2] - Yay, first try!
    (1d2)[1]
    (1d2)[1]
    (1d2)[1]

While chewing on some almonds, dried fruit and cured sausage from her rations, she chatted with Bardhyl: "How well do you know Wadim, anyway?"

Festag, 4th Sigmarzeit

Elsa eyed the bowmen cautiously. The younger one's accent was damn near incomprehensible to her ears, but it was obvious from his body language and expression that he was talking about her and was not too thrilled to see her there.

Isn't it great to have enemies you've never even met? she thought bitterly.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Speak Language (Reikspiel) 45 to understand the words: (d100)[85] - Hmm, better luck next time.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2022-12-29 at 01:36 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

5. - Top - End - #155

BlackDragon

Jarla - Angestag, 3rd Sigmarzeit

With the royals back Jarla made every effort to dress to the nines. It didn't hurt that as a courtier she had to ask permission before leaving. Waiting until the prince was without his wife she slipped in deftly after breakfast.

"Sire," Jarla began, "I wanted to request permission to leave Savonne for a couple of weeks"

She smiled in rueful amusement. "To be entirely frank I'm suffering from wanderlust. I think I made a mistake in staying here while you and the Princepessa were travelling. Savonne has it's charms but I need a little adventure. I mean look at how well you and her highness managed getting away from the city stews. Perhaps the old priest was right about that part."

Jarla paused, hesitating. "What will happen to Father Hieronymous? I know he has been through certain experiences but I am very fond of him, as was my brother."

Riding Countess Jarla was a far more elegant figure than the landscape seemed to warrant. Still it was good to get out of Savonne and as the day wore on she hummed a popular Nuln ballad or two under her breath.

Having made sure Countess was in a suitably sheltered spot for the night she joined the campfire, idly listening in before retiring.

Festag, 4th Sigmarzeit

Her copper eyebrows raised Jarla fought the urge to reach for these pistols, instead glancing at her companions. "Who are these... gentlemen?"
    Last edited by RossN; 2023-01-02 at 05:21 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard muttered something about drawing too many eyes as they left the city, though his mood seemed to improve after they were out of sight of the walls. Later that evening, sitting by Elsa's fire, he took the opportunity ask something he had been wondering. "So, Tatiana," he began, "How is your training coming along? What has Elsa taught you to do?"

Sieghard made an effort to not look overly interested, but listened intently to the hill men, trying to make sense of what they were saying

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[11] vs 21

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Angestag, 3rd Sigmarzeit

At the north gate
    "Ah, I see you are a veteran campaigner, Herr Ludo!" Bardhyl greeted the halfling with a chuckle. "Great minds think alike, it seems," he gestured at a shaggy mule he was holding. The animal was loaded with outdoors gear and some fresh supplies, though hardly as much as Ludo had brought. He also held the reins to a decidedly average-looking brown mare. "This is Rabbit, my loyal steed," he said of the horse.

He grinned appreciatively at Jarla as she arrived at the gate. "Lady Schreiber, you're looking particularly resplendent today," he greeted her with an exaggerated bow. "I fear for the future of your fine attire, however. Where we're going, you're likely to come back with more holes than clothes on your back!"

In the open country
    "An encouraging sight, is it not? Farmers hard at work rebuilding their lives, ready to produce new taxes for the new prince!" Bardhyl commented wryly. "Doesn't look like there's going to be much of a harvest though. What will His Highness do, I wonder, when the take is less than expected and the farmers come knocking at his gates for handouts to feed their families?"

Spoiler: RossN and LCP only
    Show
    At some point in the afternoon, Bardhyl contrives to speak alone with Jarla.

"Forgive me for imposing, Lady Schreiber, but is something amiss? I cannot help but notice that you seem...distracted. Are you having second thoughts about this venture of ours?" he asked with no hint of his usual teasing.

Camping for the night
    "How well do I know Wadim? I can safely say that at this point we know each other better than either of us would like to!" Bardhyl answered Elsa with a crooked grin. "Why do you ask?"

Festag, 4th Sigmarzeit

"No, they're a merry band of entertainers I rustled up on the way back! I thought we could use some song and dance to while away the hours. Of course they're my guests, you lackwit!" Bardhyl chided the older man loudly, at which the man rolled his eyes and shook his head in mock exasperation.

<You want us to go tangling with goblins and wyverns all by ourselves? You know what the fire witch can do - with her on our side we can take on ten times our number if we need to,> he answered the younger man in the same dialect.

Turning to the group, he introduced the two men. "These two are Afrim and Damjan. Good men to have at your back, but they're a little leery of you especially, Madame...Elsa. They both ranged with Rorik before joining my crew and both of them were at Arrow Heap."

(OOC: Afrim is the older one, Damjan the younger)

"Anyway, welcome to my home away from home," Bardhyl declared with a grand gesture at the cave. "It's not much, but I'm rather fond of it and it'd be a bother finding another place like it, so I'm sure you'll all do me the courtesy of forgetting about it as soon as our mutual business is concluded, yes? Shall we go inside and meet the rest of my little family?"

(OOC: Stopping there in case anyone wants to respond before going inside)

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

"How well do I know Wadim? I can safely say that at this point we know each other better than either of us would like to!" Bardhyl answered Elsa with a crooked grin. "Why do you ask?"

Elsa shrugged. "I'd like to know what kind of reunion we can expect, if and when we find him. What's your history with him?"

She was curious whether Bardhyl would confirm, deny or sidestep what Sanne had told her.

4th Sigmarzeit

"These two are Afrim and Damjan. Good men to have at your back, but they're a little leery of you especially, Madame...Elsa. They both ranged with Rorik before joining my crew and both of them were at Arrow Heap."

Elsa gave a nod. "Understandable. Good thing the war's over," she said, as if she thought this should put the matter to rest.

"Anyway, welcome to my home away from home," Bardhyl declared with a grand gesture at the cave. "It's not much, but I'm rather fond of it and it'd be a bother finding another place like it, so I'm sure you'll all do me the courtesy of forgetting about it as soon as our mutual business is concluded, yes? Shall we go inside and meet the rest of my little family?"

"You'll get no trouble from me," Elsa assured him, dismounting Bastard.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

With Sforza, 2nd Sigmarzeit
    "A quiet winter," Ludo said, by means of explanation.

3rd Sigmarzeit

Open Country
    Ludo made an inscrutable face at Bardhyl's comments about the harvest. "I thought it would get better when we killed the vampire. They said he drank the water under the ground."

Camping
    "Did Arne ever make it back to Morr's Seat?" Ludo asked.

4th Sigmarzeit
    Ludo made another face. Elsa hadn't been the only distinctive one at Arrow Heap. He shifted the load on his pony to cover up Arne's shield, but said nothing else.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post

Elsa shrugged. "I'd like to know what kind of reunion we can expect, if and when we find him. What's your history with him?"
    Bardhyl shrugged in reply. "I honestly have no idea what Wadim will say or do when we meet, but when we last saw each other things were...difficult. I was his...apprentice? That is the term you lowlanders use, yes? We had a disagreement and as a result my circumstances are as you see them now. He remained Raven Speaker and came to advise Rorik."

"For a long time, I blamed him for the way things worked out, but I do that less than I used to. In any case, what I want is less important than the fact my people need their Raven Speaker back. Of course, if we can accomplish his safe return, he will also be in a position to undo what he did, so I admit that I have a personal stake in finding him as well."

Open Country
    Ludo made an inscrutable face at Bardhyl's comments about the harvest. "I thought it would get better when we killed the vampire. They said he drank the water under the ground."

Camping
    "Did Arne ever make it back to Morr's Seat?" Ludo asked.
    Open Country
    "The Jackal is a spirit, an ancient evil sometimes made flesh. He will drink the water until he is put back in his tomb, of that I am sure, Herr Ludo," Bardhyl said. "Is your Prince prepared to continue the fight? Are you?"

Camping
    "I do not know this person of whom you speak, but going by the name I assume he was one of Rorik's henchmen? When we get to where we're going, I can ask if some of my men have heard anything, but the odds are not in your favour, my friend. We all have our reasons for steering clear of Morr's Seat," Bardhyl chuckled grimly.

11. - Top - End - #161

BlackDragon

Jarla - Angestag, 3rd Sigmarzeit

Spoiler: rax and LCP only
    Show
    Jarla gives Bardhyl a surprised look, then smiles ruefully. "Second thoughts? No, if anything it is a real relief getting away from Savonne for a while, even if we are riding into danger."

Festag, 4th Sigmarzeit

Jarla relaxes as Bardhyl introduces Afrim and Damjan. "Charmed, I am Lady Schreiber," she replied and tipped her feathered riding cap before following Bardhyl to meet the rest of his 'family'.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    Spoiler: rax and LCP only
    Show
    Jarla gives Bardhyl a surprised look, then smiles ruefully. "Second thoughts? No, if anything it is a real relief getting away from Savonne for a while, even if we are riding into danger."
    Spoiler: RossN and LCP only
    Show
    "Ah, then I apologize for misreading your mood, milady. But pray tell, are you not content with your position in Savonne?" Bardhyl queried.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

"For a long time, I blamed him for the way things worked out, but I do that less than I used to. In any case, what I want is less important than the fact my people need their Raven Speaker back. Of course, if we can accomplish his safe return, he will also be in a position to undo what he did, so I admit that I have a personal stake in finding him as well."
    "Sounds like... he exiled you? How long ago did you last see him?"

Open Country
    "The Jackal is a spirit, an ancient evil sometimes made flesh. He will drink the water until he is put back in his tomb, of that I am sure, Herr Ludo," Bardhyl said. "Is your Prince prepared to continue the fight? Are you?"
    "Well, I am."

Camping
    "I do not know this person of whom you speak, but going by the name I assume he was one of Rorik's henchmen? When we get to where we're going, I can ask if some of my men have heard anything, but the odds are not in your favour, my friend. We all have our reasons for steering clear of Morr's Seat," Bardhyl chuckled grimly.
    "The young one, the boy. Sanne and him helped us defend the book, and then only she turned up later."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't have anything else to add speaking to Afrim or Damjan
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2023-01-05 at 09:56 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    Bardhyl shrugged in reply. "I honestly have no idea what Wadim will say or do when we meet, but when we last saw each other things were...difficult. I was his...apprentice? That is the term you lowlanders use, yes? We had a disagreement and as a result my circumstances are as you see them now. He remained Raven Speaker and came to advise Rorik."
    Elsa's trust in Bardhyl went up a notch now that he had confirmed Sanne's claim.

"Any idea why he might be wandering the wilderness when his people need him? Is he afraid that he might be a wanted man, now that Sforza rules the Reaches?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Angestag, 3rd Sigmarzeit

Ludo and Elsa - Camping
    "Exiled? No, that's not quite right. The Bretonnians call it l'ostracisme, or so Panteleon tells me. In Vranspel we say that a man is nevid. Wadim has made me a ghost - I am forbidden to return to the Hills, yes, but also none may acknowledge my presence or offer me any aid. It has been this way since Rorik took Morr's Seat. So, I am dead to my people until Wadim lifts his judgement," Bardhyl answered, his expression flitting between thunderous anger and deep sadness as he spoke.

"But on the bright side, no one interferes with my business and I've made many new friends, yes?" he guffawed suddenly.

Bardhyl shrugged in response to Elsa's question and poked the campfire for a bit. "I doubt it is something so simple. Wadim did not support Rorik so that he could make war on your Prince. He wished only to prevent the return of the Jackal. This is why he went to Savonne to speak with your lowlander priests, is it not? But...clearly he failed. The man from the north opened the Red Pyramid and the Jackal is returned to plague the Reaches once more. If Wadim has not returned to his people, it is because something is preventing him from doing so, but whatever the reason, it is not fear of your Prince."

Festag, 4th Sigmarzeit

Bardhyl led the others up into the cave and dismounted outside. "Leave your horses and pack animals here, my people will see them taken care of," he said.

Inside, the cave was fairly small and someone had set up a cooking fire. A large, stony faced man was tending the fire but got up to greet the new arrivals. "This is Grim - he runs things when I'm away. Anything you need to say to me, you can say to him," Bardhyl said by way of introduction. "Everyone else inside?" he asked Grim. The big man nodded and moved to the back of the cave, where he pulled aside a dark blanket that was concealing another opening.

Bardhyl moved into the tunnel beyond, which sloped gently downwards and was only wide enough to allow the group to proceed in single file. It wasn't long before they entered another cave, this one much larger and clearly the main living and sleeping area. A pair of lanterns lit up the room, revealing five men and women slouching about the place, but they all got up when Bardhyl entered.

"Friends, I want you all to meet our new friends! Mighty heroes and lordships, one and all!" he declared with a laugh. "New friends, these are the rest of my crew."

"This is Zana and her brother Kreshnik, good Vrani folk, both of them," he said, pointing out a pretty young woman and a slightly younger man. Both of them had the dark features typical of the Raven Hills. "Zana is our healer and Kreshnik is our resident troublemaker, aren't you lad?" Bardhyl grinned.

"This is Ortwin. You met him at the Fat Fish earlier. He got himself outlawed by old Duke Alvarr for poaching. Ortwin's been with me almost as long as Grim," he introduced a man the others recognized from their first meeting in Savonne.

"And finally, we have Panteleon and Waldon, our resident Bretonnians. Panteleon is our conscience, still looking out for the little folk even after Alvarr tried to hang him for it," Bardhyl chuckled, indicating a young man with blond hair and somewhat more colourful dress than the rough outdoors clothing everyone else wore.

"Waldon is the newest member of our band. A man of faith, he was, until Arrow Heap. Now he's seen the light and prefers the company of wine and whores to the Lady of the Lake, isn't that right Waldon?" Bardhyl teased. In reply, Waldon burped loudly and spat on the floor. He was a large man, though not as big as Grim, and smelled of old sweat and sour wine.

"The Lady is a putain, and all her knights connards," Waldon elaborated. "This her? The fire witch?" he asked, squinting at Elsa. "You burned a lot of good men at Arrow Heap, lady. Took old Odo's legs and his mind with it, you did. Lots o' cripples sent back to their families as well. Ugly cripples, what with all the burns. Not pretty like you lady, not pretty at all..." he sniggered nastily.

"That's enough, Waldon!" Bardhyl snapped, his good mood suddenly gone. "What's done is done. You keep a civil tongue in your head unless you want her to finish what she started, eh?"

Waldon drew himself up as if he was about to say something, but then slowly deflated and mumbled a reply. "Sure thing chief, sure thing..."

Edit
    Later
    The outlaws had gathered in the cave for their evening meal. Ortwin tapped the cask of beer that Bardhyl had brought and slices of from the side of beef had been added to the stew Grim had been tending on the fire earlier, heightening the mood considerably. Bardhyl sat next to Grim and invited Sieghard and the others to join them.

"While I was in Savonne, I had Grim and the others ride out and question the locals about any leads that could help us work out where to begin looking for Wadim. Any news there, Grim?" he asked.
    Last edited by rax; 2023-01-08 at 03:04 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Angestag, 3rd Sigmarzeit

"I doubt it is something so simple. Wadim did not support Rorik so that he could make war on your Prince. He wished only to prevent the return of the Jackal. This is why he went to Savonne to speak with your lowlander priests, is it not? But...clearly he failed. The man from the north opened the Red Pyramid and the Jackal is returned to plague the Reaches once more. If Wadim has not returned to his people, it is because something is preventing him from doing so, but whatever the reason, it is not fear of your Prince."
    "Wadim and I share the same interests, then," said Elsa. She smiled bitterly. "And the same relationship with our lords—nowadays I only remain in Sforza's employ because it puts me in a better position to thwart the Jackal. Maybe someday I'll do like Wadim and just go missing for a little while..."

Festag, 4th Sigmarzeit

"Leave your horses and pack animals here, my people will see them taken care of," he said.
    Elsa handed Bastard's reins to the nearest Vrani. "Careful, this one bites," she warned.

"The Lady is a putain, and all her knights connards," Waldon elaborated. "This her? The fire witch?" he asked, squinting at Elsa. "You burned a lot of good men at Arrow Heap, lady. Took old Odo's legs and his mind with it, you did. Lots o' cripples sent back to their families as well. Ugly cripples, what with all the burns. Not pretty like you lady, not pretty at all..." he sniggered nastily.
    "That's war for you. Blades and arrows have made far more corpses and cripples than my magic ever will," said Elsa defensively. Though she did her best to brush off the accusation, it was clear that she was now very uncomfortable.

During the evening meal, Elsa intently watched the journey of every bowl of stew or tankard of ale served, in case someone tried to put something in hers. She attempted polite conversation with the bandits, but mostly got monosyllabic responses. She perked up with interest when Bardhyl got down to business regarding the search for Wadim.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2023-01-09 at 11:08 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Bardhyl’s assembled ruffians regarded guests warily, their gaze lingering particularly on Sieghard and Elsa. None of them looked about to challenge their leader’s judgement, but the presence of Sforza’s enforcers clearly had them on edge.

"While I was in Savonne, I had Grim and the others ride out and question the locals about any leads that could help us work out where to begin looking for Wadim. Any news there, Grim?" he asked.
    “Not much that would surprise you,” said Grim, his deep voice sounding like it didn’t get much use. “Most of the farmsteaders who’ve made it this far west aren’t too keen on talking to strangers. Had to grease a few palms, convince them we weren’t there to rob them.”

He leant against the rough rock of the wall, still watching the newcomers closely. “Heard about two more sightings of the ‘wild man’ that folk’d vouch for. Both south of here. One lot said they’d got a glimpse of him up in the rocks… other lot said they’d seen him with a pack of goblins out of the high hills. Their description matched what you told us about the Raven Speaker… but from what they told us, any old man might fit the bill.” Ludo sensed that Grim was trying not to get his boss’ hopes up.

“They did say he had one eye,” Panteleon piped up.

“That they thought he had one eye,” Grim clarified. “And anyone who’s been hanging around with greenskins, it’d more of a miracle he’d still have the one.” This seemed more comfortable territory. “Plenty of news about them, mind. Sounds like they’ve been coming further down out of the Teeth, stealing livestock and such when folk aren’t watching. Must’ve been a bad winter up there.”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

“Plenty of news about them, mind. Sounds like they’ve been coming further down out of the Teeth, stealing livestock and such when folk aren’t watching. Must’ve been a bad winter up there.”

"Their tunnels lead into a wyvern lair," Elsa chimed in. "When they captured Tatiana here, they wanted to feed her to the beast. 'The Big One', they call it. Maybe they think it won't eat them as long as they keep it well-fed."

She blew on some scalding stew and tasted it tentatively. "Now... if Wadim lives among them, this complicates things. We can't just kill our way to him. Do you think parlay can be attempted? Meet some goblins and ask them for the one-eyed man?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Waldon reflexively made the sign of Taal's horns at the word 'wyvern', and muttered what sounded like a Breton prayer.

"We've seen the beast," said Panteleon. "Not often this far east, thank the gods, but some of the farmsteaders are already blaming it for missing livestock."

"I never heard of greenskins that could be bargained with," said Grim, grimly. "What use is a goblin's word?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

"I never heard of greenskins that could be bargained with. What use is a goblin's word?"

"Well, I've heard of bargains with greenskins," said Elsa. "And it's true they don't tend to last very long. But there must be some reason why an old man chooses to live among them, and why they let him. If we start just killing any goblins we come across, I don't think he'll be inclined to show his face."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

3rd Sigmarzeit
    "If Wadim never comes back, does that mean you're... ostrasisme for good?"

4th Sigmarzeit
    He leant against the rough rock of the wall, still watching the newcomers closely. “Heard about two more sightings of the ‘wild man’ that folk’d vouch for. Both south of here. One lot said they’d got a glimpse of him up in the rocks… other lot said they’d seen him with a pack of goblins out of the high hills. Their description matched what you told us about the Raven Speaker… but from what they told us, any old man might fit the bill.” Ludo sensed that Grim was trying not to get his boss’ hopes up.
    "Definitely not an old woman?" Ludo asked. He also seemed uncomfortable in these surroundings, though was pleased that Sieghard and Elsa seemed to be taking the brunt of the glares, and had introduced himself with a raised hat as politely as possible.

"I never heard of greenskins that could be bargained with," said Grim, grimly. "What use is a goblin's word?"
    "Goblins aren't smart enough to bargain with," Ludo said authoritatively. "That makes them easy to trick, though.

"When we visited the goblins cave, they had a carving of a dog - or jackal - breaking it's teeth biting the moon. The moon is their symbol, right? Wadim might be studying that, if they beat the Jackal once."

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

"Definitely not an old woman?" Ludo asked.
    Grim shrugged. "This wild man people have been seeing has a long beard," he said. "Or that's what they say."

"Well, I've heard of bargains with greenskins," said Elsa. "And it's true they don't tend to last very long. But there must be some reason why an old man chooses to live among them, and why they let him. If we start just killing any goblins we come across, I don't think he'll be inclined to show his face."
    Neither Grim not Panteleon said anything - they looked to Bardhyl instead. One of the others spoke up, however - the young woman Bardhyl had called Zana.

"Who said anything about choose?" she said. She'd been as quiet as the others when the party arrived, but her tone made it clear Elsa's suggestion didn't sit right with her. "Wadim was the Raven Speaker. He wouldn't abandon his people to go and live with - with animals." Her brother nodded agreement, spitting onto the cavern floor at the mention of the goblins. "If they have him, he must be their prisoner."
    Last edited by LCP; 2023-01-09 at 12:24 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa was not so sure about Wadim being a prisoner, but nodded all the same. "If they have their knives against his throat, all the more reason to tread lightly. Now the question is why they need him alive. If it were just for his visions or knowledge, I think they'd keep him inside their lair, not travel around with him."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    Grim shrugged. "This wild man people have been seeing has a long beard," he said. "Or that's what they say."

"Well, necromancy can do strange things to a person,"
    Ludo joked a bit feebly.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

3rd Sigmarzeit
    "If Wadim never comes back, does that mean you're... ostrasisme for good?"
    Bardhyl nodded. "Only a Raven Speaker can undo Wadim's judgement, and since there is now no Raven Speaker..." he replied, trailing off to let Ludo draw his own conclusions.

4th Sigmarzeit
    Bardhyl sat quietly at first, eating his stew, while Elsa and Ludo debated with Grim and the others. Only after Zana's intervention and Elsa's reply did he speak. "That's enough speculation for tonight, I think. We'll have our answers when we find Wadim, not before."

"You say that it's possible to bargain with greenskins, Madame Elsa? As you've heard, there are few here who agree with you. Do you have any personal experience of successfully striking such a bargain?" he asked.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Bardhyl nodded. "Only a Raven Speaker can undo Wadim's judgement, and since there is now no Raven Speaker..." he replied, trailing off to let Ludo draw his own conclusions.
    "But who's left to enforce his judgement?" asked Elsa in disbelief. "You really think they'd still run you out of town, so long after the disappearance of the man who cast you out? I don't understand your people. The Border Princes are no place for grudges. Yesterday's enemies can be tomorrow's allies."

4th Sigmarzeit

"You say that it's possible to bargain with greenskins, Madame Elsa? As you've heard, there are few here who agree with you. Do you have any personal experience of successfully striking such a bargain?" he asked.
    "Of course not," said Elsa hurriedly. She also was not about to divulge to any Vrani the short-lived alliance that her employer had made with Magog, the Orc king. "I'm just saying... any thinking being can be bargained with. 'You have something I want, I have something you want, and fighting each other would be costly for us both'—one of the simplest equations there are."

She raised her palms. "Now... it's a long shot, I'll admit. But if we greet the first goblins we meet with steel and fire, we might lose any chance to find Wadim, unless we turn their lair inside out. And it's a big lair. We've been there before and barely got out alive."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Mad, all of you," Sieghard scoffed. "No greenskin would make a deal unless it thought it was a good way to stab you in the back. What do you have to tempt them with that the little beasts would like more than just killing you there and chewing your bones?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard never got an answer from Tatiana about her training.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2023-01-09 at 11:36 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

"Right. Just how many goblins do you think we need to kill before Wadim falls in our lap?" replied Elsa with dripping sarcasm.

More seriously, she said: "We don't know why goblins even have Wadim with them. Until we do, no option for finding him should be off the table. Obviously I'm not proposing that we lay down our weapons at the feet of the first goblins we come across."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    "Mad, all of you," Sieghard scoffed.
    Leave the others out of this. This is Elsa's idea.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2023-01-10 at 09:32 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

"How long has he been seen with them for?" Ludo asked. "I didn't see anything that could be related to him before."

"Could we perhaps capture a goblin alive? I bet we could get one talking."

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

3rd Sigmarzeit

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    "But who's left to enforce his judgement?" asked Elsa in disbelief. "You really think they'd still run you out of town, so long after the disappearance of the man who cast you out? I don't understand your people..."
    "Yes, that much is clear," Bardhyl chuckled wryly. "Let me ask you - is a criminal in the Empire pardoned when the one who sentenced him dies? Or does the sentence remain until the conditions for its end are met?"

"I am no criminal, but Wadim's judgement is still valid to all those who hold to my people's traditions, which - to be frank - is most of them. And for what it's worth, I would not have it any other way. I am Vrani, as were my ancestors before me, and our traditions are what make us so. They bind us together as they bind us to this land. No man or woman who abides by Wadim's judgement is an enemy of mine," he stated proudly.

4th Sigmarzeit

"I admit, a nonviolent solution would be preferable. My wish is that none here should need to spill their blood in this affair, but an even simpler question that needs to be answered before any negotiation can be attempted is whether we even have something that a greenskin would want. So, I think Herr Ludo has the right of it. Unless we manage to run into Wadim himself at an opportune moment, acquiring a greenskin to question would hopefully provide us with not just the answer to what they might bargain for, but also how and why Wadim seems to be with them in the first place," Bardhyl mused.

"Even so, we are getting ahead of ourselves. We shall first need to scout the area where Grim's informants suggest Wadim was last seen. Once we're there, we'll see what we find and make our plans based on that," he said.