New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Recommendations for filling out a Warlock’s dip(s)

What, and when, should I round out the dips on a character who is mostly a Daolock in a campaign going to 20? My character started Bard 1, then went Daolock 7 (Pact of the Chain, Inspiring Leader) thus far. I want Wish at Warlock 17, so I have 2 more levels to dip something. My role has been buffer/utility/striker. The party consists of a Battlemaster Fighter 8, Bladesinger 8, Wild Magic Sorcerer 8, and Warlock 2/Eloquence Bard 6, so we are caster-heavy. The Bladesinger (Mark of Healing Halfling) and I (Mark of Hospitality Halfling) are the most experienced players and we’ve been splitting the classic cleric role (ie he takes Lesser Restoration, I take Remove Curse, etc). My stats are (8/16/14/8/10/18).

I’m buffing the party with Goodberry and Aid outside of combat, and using a big gun like Hypnotic Pattern and EB machinegunning (Agonizing, Repelling, Lance) otherwise. The setting is in Eberron but not a published adventure.

The biggest gaps I see my character having are that my defenses suck (AC 15 with studded leather, weak Wisdom of 10), and the warlock’s classic lack of spell slots (so getting to Bard 3 to get 4/2 spell slots would be nice). The opportunities are to be a better cleric-surrogate and buffer/debuffer. Here’s what I’m considering:

1) Daolock 17/Bard 1/Fighter 2: Two levels in Fighter fixes my AC (15-->19) and gives Action Surge. Forcecage + Sickening Radiance anyone? 😊 I might take Superior Technique/Ambush for the initiative bump, or Blind Fighting for utility.

2) Daolock 17/Valor Bard 3: Two more levels in Bard gets me the 4/2 spell slots, two level 2 slots (Locate Object, Detect Thoughts), fixes my AC (15--> 19), and gives a variety of other goodies (Expertise in 2 skills, Combat Inspiration (which is kinda better than basic inspiration), Jack of All Trades for the initiative bonus.

3) Daolock 17/Lore Bard 3: I get the 4/2 slots and the amazing Cutting Words for party defense, and minor goodies (Expertise, JOAT, 3 skills), but my AC stays weak.

4) Daolock 17/Bard 1/Fighter 1/Divine Soul Sorcerer 1: I fix my AC, get a fighting style, get 1 spell slot, gain Shield and Cure Wounds and say Bless, and Favored by the Gods for +2d4 of bonus.

I’ve not really noticed my weak AC being a terrible problem yet, but it seems like a bomb waiting to go off.

Which would the collective mind think is most optimal? One of these or something else? And WHEN to take it? Getting Wall of Stone at Warlock 9 (/character 10) is attractive, but then so is getting Sanctuary Vessel at the next level, and a 3rd spell slot at the next level… but then I’ll be squishy forever…

Thanks for any advice!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Recommendations for filling out a Warlock’s dip(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atomicwraith View Post
    Thanks for any advice!
    You didn’t mention a pact boon, I think. What is yours?

Sanctuary Vessel is wonderful, but might as well take your two levels in something else as soon as you can and get it over with!

My first thought was Swords Bard which gives you fighting style and sweet blade flourishes, provided you were a melee Warlock, but invocations make it very clear that you are not.

My next bet would be taking Lore at 3 honestly. Cutting Words defends the party, which includes yourself.

If you hadn’t taken Bard 1 already, I would suggest Divine Soul 3, for Font of Magic and Metamagic. Twinned Spell can be very strong for buffs.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post
    You didn’t mention a pact boon, I think. What is yours?
    Pact of the Chain, with a Sprite familiar typically. It scouts invisibly, then my Bonus Action is typically to fires the shortbow and try to poison/debuff the enemy. The action economy is great with this thing.

I'm much more of a ranged DPS; which is why Swords Bard did not appeal; you need to be doing weapon attacks and ideally in melee to get the most of their L3 features. Valor is comparatively dull, but with a ranged build its at least fully usable.

Lore huh? And just live with the squishiness?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Unless there's something I'm missing, you have to take the Attack action and give up one of your attacks to have your sprite shoot.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Atomicwraith View Post
    Lore huh? And just live with the squishiness?
    Absolutely. Between Cutting Words, Elemental Gift (flight), and Mirror Image, I would imagine you’ll be fine.

Another note: Since Warlock is my favorite class (Genie my favorite of it’s subclasses), I have played quite a few. My absolutely favorite combo was in casting Hex on my Chain Imp familiar and using Relentless Hex invocation, teleporting next to it as a bonus action (all day free misty step) whenever I wanted to for repositioning (or what-have you). Paired with Repelling Blast, the amount of control was obscene.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

! That's a great trick!
    Hella good mobility, up there with wildfire spirit, or better!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

You could dip Fighter 2 for Action Surge. It makes for a great nova option on any caster.
    Sometimes, I have strong opinions on seemingly inconsequential matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    You found a way to backstab... with a ballista...

I want to play at your table.
    Spoiler: How to have a Good Idea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Buy a lava lamp, it more than doubles the rate of good ideas :p
    Better yet, buy this lava lamp.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Unless there's something I'm missing, you have to take the Attack action and give up one of your attacks to have your sprite shoot.
    Ah, I should have mentioned that one of the invocations I have is Investment of the Chain Master, and one of its powers is:

As a bonus action, you can command the familiar to take the Attack action.

So the combo is really nice: at character level 5 you are rolling 3 attack rolls: one for the sprite (for the poison/unconscious debuff), and 2 for Eldritch Blast, upgraded how you like.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

I like Lore bard for the party-friendly Cutting Words, but then I need to use a feat for Moderately Armored to fix my AC.

But if I go Fighter I don't have an AC problem, leaving the feat for Bountiful Luck, which (because we play with Critical Fail tables) is really party-friendly. And I get Action Surge.

Does Action Surge beat 2 spells known + 2 L1 slots +2 L2 slots + 2 Expertises + 3 skills? Probably, right?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post
    Absolutely. Between Cutting Words, Elemental Gift (flight), and Mirror Image, I would imagine you’ll be fine.

Another note: Since Warlock is my favorite class (Genie my favorite of it’s subclasses), I have played quite a few. My absolutely favorite combo was in casting Hex on my Chain Imp familiar and using Relentless Hex invocation, teleporting next to it as a bonus action (all day free misty step) whenever I wanted to for repositioning (or what-have you). Paired with Repelling Blast, the amount of control was obscene.
    That is a cool trick with Hex-- or Sign of Ill Omen for a concentration-free version of the same thing-- plus Relentless Hex. I'm not sure I can afford the invocations before level 15 tho, especially as I'm the one with flight so mobility has been a strong point thus far. The tactical play sounds super fun!
    Last edited by Atomicwraith; 2022-11-26 at 07:24 PM.