New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Looking for soundtrack recommendations

My campaign is heading to a very sword-and-sorcery kind of locale: Mexala, the City of Smoke, a great Bronze Age city of narrow alleys and looming buildings, home to a shadow war between a cabal of mind-controlling sorcerers and a drug-fueled cult of fanatical sun-worshippers, the sort of place where trust is a more precious thing than gold. I'm looking for suggestions as to music to play either for general atmosphere or for combats against one or more of the factions present in the city. Ideally, the music would convey a sense of both wonder and unease and would tend towards the exotic (as the city is culturally insular) without necessarily leaning towards Arabesque stereotypes. Does anyone know something to fit such a bill?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for soundtrack recommendations

You could look into Syrinscape. I listen to the Find the Path actual play podcast, and they use it all the time. Quite the variety of options, from what they've mentioned, anyway.
    Custom Melayl avatar by my cousin, ~thejason10, used with his permission. See his work at his Deviant Art page.
    My works:
    Need help?
    Spoiler
    Show
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA)
    1-800-273-TALK (8255), 24/7
    www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
    In Australia: Lifeline, 13 11 14, 24/7
    Reach Out Australia
    Beyond Blue, 1300 22 4636
    The Samaritans (UK too) UK: 08457 90 90 90, ROI: 1850 60 90 90

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

You can’t go wrong with the film music of Bernard Hermann

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g75xXT6eCcg
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Dead Can Dance is a staple of RPG background music. Tracks like Cantara, Yulunga, Anabasi. Vaguely middleastern ethnic and echanting.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

There's an artist with music on youtube named Peter Pringle, who has some pieces played on reproductions of actual bronze age instruments (and other ancient instruments, like Kithara and other ancient forms of Lyres and harps). He has a few where he's singing actual passages in Sumerian. It is a bit on the Arabesque side, as he borrows a lot from later Middle Eastern music in interpreting what the melodies should be, but it might be the closest thing to an "authentic" bronze age sound you can get. Check out "Lament for Gilgamesh" for probably the coolest sounding one, and longest. On another one he sings the beginning of the Babylonian epic of Gilgamesh in Akkadian with accompaniment. Most of them are only a few minutes, you'd need to make a playlist and loop them. A little more on the dreamy side vs disturbing or uneasy, though definitely evocative.