New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default why aren't there Yellow Dragons?

Anyone know why the chromatic dragons are White, Black, Green, Blue, and Red but there are no Yellow, Orange, or Purple Dragons? (or grey or pink) Yellow is a primary color - why didn't it get any love?

Or are they out there in the cannon somewhere?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Default Re: why aren't there Yellow Dragons?

2ed had yellow dragons...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

There were yellow, orange, purple, pink, and gray chromatic dragons starting back in AD&D. Brown too. Most/all of these were introduced either in Dragon Magazine or in the Draconomicon.

Some of these were carried over into 3E/4E, but most didn't make it all the way to official 5E (yet).
    Last edited by RogueJK; 2022-11-25 at 04:20 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

They are out there in the canon, just not commonly-used. Even if they weren't, you could make them up, since there's no rule you can't make up things for your D&D world. I like making up things for my D&D world. I also don't tend to be a huge fan of Forgotten Realms, though I'm not telling other people they have no right to play it, I just tend to not like the light tone or how static it feels like the world is, and many worlds have completely different dragons than the standard red, green, white, black, and blue in the first place. I do like using those though, but maybe with changes, since I feel like it makes perfect sense to have a red dragon be a fire dragon, and a green one be more earth-based, and a white one be ice-based, and the habitats like having storm-based blue dragons live in the desert while black dragons live in a swamp make a lot of sense too, but I'm probably not going to have those be the be-all and end-all of dragons in a world I DM. Heck, those won't be the only dragons that are those colors just like bluebirds aren't the only blue birds. Maybe the green-colored dragon is an emerald dragon or a plant dragon instead of a green dragon.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by da newt View Post
    Anyone know why the chromatic dragons are White, Black, Green, Blue, and Red but there are no Yellow, Orange, or Purple Dragons? (or grey or pink) Yellow is a primary color - why didn't it get any love?

Because they declared themselves metallic dragons and called themselves gold.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Those colors are reserved for NetHack.
    Sometimes, I have strong opinions on seemingly inconsequential matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    You found a way to backstab... with a ballista...

I want to play at your table.
    Spoiler: How to have a Good Idea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Buy a lava lamp, it more than doubles the rate of good ideas :p
    Better yet, buy this lava lamp.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

They exist, the cowards are just really good at hiding. 🤪
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Yellow dwagons have a battlecrap attack instead of a breath weapon, purples have a thunder breath weapon, and pinks have an entangling bubblegum breath weapon. Sheesh, don't folks remember anything?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Also, I think purple got renamed as deep dragons in 3.5 and beyond

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

4e recast some of the older dragons.

Deep dragons became purple dragons (in 3e, they were two separate species, and purples were in Dragon Magazine only)
    Fang Dragons became grey dragons (and gained a breath weapon)
    Sand Dragons and Brown Dragons were two separate species in 3.0 but for 4e, a new Brown Dragon was created that was mostly Sand Dragon.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2022-11-26 at 08:28 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    4e recast some of the older dragons.

Deep dragons became purple dragons (in 3e, they were two separate species, and purples were in Dragon Magazine only)
    Fang Dragons became grey dragons (and gained a breath weapon)
    Sand Dragons and Brown Dragons were two separate species in 3.0 but for 4e, a new Brown Dragon was created that was mostly Sand Dragon.
    I thought Fang Dragons drained something when they bit you, but had no breath weapon? Was that a 4E thing? They didn't up till 3.5E.

12. - Top - End - #12

Yes, they drain CON with a bite instead of having breath weapon - yes, this was true all the way through 3.5 - the replacement of drain, with breath weapon, was a 4E thing.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Yellow dwagons have a battlecrap attack instead of a breath weapon, purples have a thunder breath weapon, and pinks have an entangling bubblegum breath weapon. Sheesh, don't folks remember anything?
    That's a deep cut, and I appreciate it! Poor Erfworld....
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

14. - Top - End - #14

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Keep in mind a lot of people started with 5e and never bothered to look back to other editions. IMO that’s why a lot of 5e house rules, homebrew, and design talks are pretty questionable. A lot of problems 5e has were addressed in other editions, to varying degrees of success mind you, and people without that context either reinvent the wheel or try something that people who played earlier editions will tell you didn’t work then and probably won’t work now.
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    Keep in mind a lot of people started with 5e and never bothered to look back to other editions. IMO that’s why a lot of 5e house rules, homebrew, and design talks are pretty questionable. A lot of problems 5e has were addressed in other editions, to varying degrees of success mind you, and people without that context either reinvent the wheel or try something that people who played earlier editions will tell you didn’t work then and probably won’t work now.
    It's a joking reference to the Erfworld comic that used to be hosted on GitP as well.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think old Dragon magazines had additional metallic dragons as well. I remember a Crystal Dragon? And Shadow Dragons.

Believe me, if you go back 35 years, you will find just about every dragon imaginable.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by deljzc View Post
    I think old Dragon magazines had additional metallic dragons as well. I remember a Crystal Dragon? And Shadow Dragons.

Believe me, if you go back 35 years, you will find just about every dragon imaginable.
    Crystal dragons (and the other 4 common Gem Dragons) all made it into 5e, albeit rather later than some of the others (in the Fizbans book).

Shadow dragons received a bit of a makeover for 5e in the MM, becoming a template rather than a dragon type. Annoyingly, it's mutually exclusive with the dracolich template - so you can't have shadow dragon dracoliches, even if there were adventures in old books with them in.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

It’s not from other editions, it’s from the Erfworld comic on this site!
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by da newt View Post

There sort of is a purple dragon - the Purple Worm. Before Dungeons & Dragons (even before Chainmail), Gary Gygax wrote a series of pieces for the Diplomacy variant fan magazine Thangorodrim about the "Grayte Wourmes." This included the red dragon, the green dragon, the blue dragon, the white dragon, the black dragon, and the purple (or mottled) dragon. Most of these look much like they do in D&D today, with their signature breath-weapons. But between those articles and Dungeons & Dragons, the purple dragon, which was flightless, seems to have morphed into the purple worm.
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by deljzc View Post

Old Dragon Magazines were pretty awesome with all kinds of unofficial but usually well thought out options and lore. And now I don't even know if it's still a thing.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

21. - Top - End - #21

Yellow dragons have yellow bellies so...
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

22. - Top - End - #22

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    It’s not from other editions, it’s from the Erfworld comic on this site!
    Yellow dragons are also on older editions IIRC. I think the old lore is that they were born from Tiamat’s younger sister
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Actually it would be a neat twist if the metallic colors are what yellow, orange, brown and grey originally were (or still are).
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

24. - Top - End - #24

Yellow dragons are also on older editions IIRC.
    Yes, but the comment you were replying to was about Erfworld.
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2022-11-29 at 09:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones