A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 206
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    far far away
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    Finn drops the 7gp while listening and straps the component pouch to his belt - "You say the boy was 'doing something weird with his hands'... Do you think he was maybe casting a spell? I mean... I suppose you're knowledgeable about magic, by the setup I see here. But I could be wrong." - He shrugs - "Do you think the boy or someone else in the family had something to do with the arrival of 'He', whoever 'He' is? Do you know who was this 'He' the boy talked about?"

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    wel lI can not be certain of course the hand gestures could have been a spell, but how could one so young learn magic I have never heard of such a thing.
    Laris was a strange child always toting about a piece of cloth believing in things that surely do not exist. No I can not recall what the "HE" might have been.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2019

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    "Gods, where were their parents?!" Schroeder asked in disbelief. "Surely, one of the family must have noticed beforehand when a child was trucking with the occult?"

    Although, lack of supervision all these years would explain in part Lady VanPelt's attitude...

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SCARY WIZARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    behind the toolshed
    Gender
    Male

    d20 Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    Ilean frowns at the accounting of things. From the provender, she also buys a spell component pouch. "Moving shadows? It sounds like...illusion magics. At least, at first blush..." The Geometer seems deep in thought.

    Spoiler: Out of Character - Purchases, Skills
    Show
    Buying Spell Component Pouch for 7 Gold Pieces.Knowledge (Arcana): (1d20+17)[33]

    Knowledge (Arcana) to attempt to find out about the cloth the boy carried -- if it's linked to anything supernatural.
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    Parents! Just whom do you think built this village. The cloth , I doubt it dumb kid carried that for ever.

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    After a few moments of stunned silence a the revelation of just how long ago this was, Alred expected something a lot more recent, he gathers himself and replies to Ilean "Illusions you think? My first thought on hearing Shadows was the incorporeal undead."

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    far far away
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    "All possible interpretations..." - Finn scratches his stubble beard - "Wizardry may be out of question, given the boy's age, but other possibilities exist... Like innate magic or pacts. Given the phrase 'He has finally come', it's safe to say there was some kind of individual or entity involved and that it was not an unknown entity, at least to the boy." - Finn looks at the others - " Maybe there was a pact of some kind, some family tradition or profecy, or maybe a distant confederate that had just arrived. Or maybe this was all theatrics... But that would have to rely on a child's capacity for deceit."

    "Say, misses Carlin, do you remember the context in which this event occurred? Particularly if the family had recently been involved with unknown priests or something that could be cult-like? Were there some other minor events maybe happening at the same time? Like disappearances, scared animals or withering plants? Something that could be associated with negative energy or fiendish influence..."

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2019

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    "And has there been any word about just what sort of creatures are currently infesting this estate? As it's been said, we doubt it's simple 'vermin' -- anything that could give us some clue or insight could lead to aiding us in eliminating it. Or, at the very least, give us warning in how to protect ourselves better. Is there some reason whatever is in that house hasn't gone after the village here?"

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    Well Laris held a few odd traditions and considering the time of year that the dance was it is possible the Laris might have been refering to a great gourd or some such. but none of us ever saw anything like that.

    Vermin in the estate ! well that is Lucille, always over reacting. It has been so long though, I am sure that there are all sorts of creatures roaming about in there.

    I suspect what ever is going on in there is confined by the estate fence as it is just like mine here. but I think one or two things must have escaped as there is the occasional report from the villagers of a horse and rider in town scaring them.
    Last edited by samduke; 2022-12-02 at 06:01 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SCARY WIZARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    behind the toolshed
    Gender
    Male

    d20 Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    Ilean's brow furrows. "What sorts of traditions were these?" She then turns to her companions, and mouths, "A rider?!" "And what did this rider look like?" The Geometer seems very interested in things...
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2019

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    "If she's overreacting, why did the villagers scream and run away whenever we tried to ask about the damn place?" Schroeder was really starting to feel uneasy about this entire mission.

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    "If she's overreacting, why did the villagers scream and run away whenever we tried to ask about the damn place?" Schroeder was really starting to feel uneasy about this entire mission.
    The villagers blame the Vanpelts for everything since that day , Traditions like the dance for the fall or winter holiday, I can not recall Laris's though, it has been far too long. The horse and rider it could be a myth, it could be rumor, it could be a stranger , I have not seen it, so I do not know.
    Last edited by samduke; 2022-12-03 at 09:54 AM.

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ScrambledBrains's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In your psyche.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    "No matter what the case, until we see these facts with our own eyes, we have no way of verifying their veracity," Quinton remarked as he picked up a hammer, five pitons and a length of rope from Maycie. Stuffing them into his haversack, he turned and handed her three gold pieces. "Thank you for your information, Maycie. Can you give us directions to the estate?"
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren
    Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    Directions , sure simple, walk out my door turn left walk to the road then turn right follow the road across the bridge to the double stone gate of the estate, though good luck getting in without the key

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2019

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    'Key'...that might be the signet ring the Lady gave us... VanPelt said that the ring would open the gate to the estate.

    Schroeder really hoped that fussbudget hadn't neglected to give them access into the damn building itself.

    "Any other advice or info you can give us about the estate or what might still be in it?"
    Last edited by Cygnia; 2022-12-03 at 07:52 PM.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    Who else might be in there well I supose that Laris might be in there along with any surviving servants. Advice use caution.

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    far far away
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    "Would you hand me a couple of Oils of Magic Weapon, please?" - Finn asks while leaving 140*gp on the table - "What a ripoff..."

    "Well... I believe it's it, guys and gals. Misses Carlin, is there any other place or person of interest you believe we should investigate into before heading to the estate?"
    Last edited by amanamana; 2022-12-04 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Editing the price of the oils

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    Quote Originally Posted by amanamana View Post
    "Well... I believe it's it, guys and gals. Misses Carlin, is there any other place or person of interest you believe we should investigate into before heading to the estate?"
    Lucille Vanpelt! she says matter of factly. Otherwise no, the estate holds all the secrets
    Last edited by samduke; 2022-12-04 at 12:48 AM.

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    far far away
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    "Shall we?" - Finn asks the others as he walks out to the street and looks for the cursed estate.

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ScrambledBrains's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In your psyche.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    "We shall," Quinton replied as he walked out as well and joined Finn, "I'm not sure how much of her tale carries any truth, but I'd rather find out personally. If there are creatures of magic or some form of demon there, then we slay them. If it's just vermin, we slay them just the same. The only difference is that the vermin will be much easier."
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren
    Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2019

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    "And there's always the option to burn the place down and seed the grounds with salt," added Schroeder. His light tone almost made it sound like he had offered the suggestion as a joke...

    ...almost.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    The Party leaves the house and passes through the gate which closes behind the last to leave, (all magic things are restored)
    After which you turn left, walk to the road, then turn right and start to follow the road across the bridge towards the double stone gate of the estate. as you step foot on the 19ft wide , 60ft long bridge that crosses the 45ft wide fast flowing river. you hear a horses footfall behind you, you turn to look, you hear an alarm and see villagers running in fear as a the horse rears up revealing the rider has a flaming orange colored head raised in it's hand. the horseman points its sword in the direction of the party, horseman begins its charge directly towards you.

    Choices Fight (Initiative) or Flee across the bridge

    1:Alred - 16, 2:Schroeder - 16
    4:Ilean - 19
    5:Quinton Morrison - 15 , 3:Finn - 22

    VV 60ft away VV

    6: Horse and Rider (1d20+3)[20] Initiative
    Last edited by samduke; 2022-12-06 at 05:40 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SCARY WIZARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    behind the toolshed
    Gender
    Male

    d20 Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    IMMEDIATELY taking advantage of adrenaline-based reflexes, Ilean begins to cast a spell. The incantation is one that the others have heard before, which is usually followed by sluggish enemies.

    Spoiler: Out of Character
    Show
    Casting slow as SOON as this dude on the horse comes within range of it.
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    Schroeder Looks at the Rider and Mount and gets a horrible feeling of Dread realizing this thing is one of possible myth and legend only having heard of the thing in stories, but the thing could be none other than the HEADLESS HORSEMAN and its DREAD STEED
    Last edited by samduke; 2022-12-05 at 08:07 PM.

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ScrambledBrains's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In your psyche.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    "Well, that's not normal," Quinton remarked sarcastically before turning to face toward the galloping fiend. He grabbed his trident and moved to interpose himself between the rest of the group and this headless horseman.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Free Action to grab and unsheath my Trident
    Swift Action to enter Dancing Blade Form
    Move Action to move behind Ilean.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren
    Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    far far away
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    "Yikes!" - Finn moves diagonally, to stay side by side with Quinton, and concentrates on his warhammer, hoping to hit the rider or the mount if he rides-by them.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Move Action: Move diagonally past Ilean, to form a line with Quinton.
    Free Action: Draw the warhammer as part of the move action.
    Standard Action: Casts Greater Mighty Wallop as a SLA on his warhammer (1 Inspiration Point).

    If the rider rides past them and provokes an attack of opportunity, Finn will spend another Inspiration Point on Cunning Insight to get +6 on the attack:
    Spoiler: In case of AoO
    Show
    Possible attack of opportunity against rider: +13 +1 (Kn. Devotion) +6 (Cunning Insight) - (1d20+20)[28] - (Crit on a 40). (There's an extra +2 if they achieve flanking).
    Damage (3d6+5)[20]
    -Eventual crit confirmation: (1d20+20)[36]
    -Alternative damage in case of a critical hit (x3): (9d6+15)[45]

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2019

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    "It's not from this plane of reality!" cried Schroeder. "Is anyone capable of dismissing it or banishing it away from here maybe?!"

    He hurriedly step away from the charging outsider, then began casting a spell of his own.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    5ft diagonal step left back.
    Casting Haste on himself and his group.

    Spoiler: Statblock
    Show

    Schroeder Miridathi
    M NG Human Bard6/Lyrical Thaumaturge5, Level 11, Init 2, HP 66/66, Speed 30
    AC 22, Touch 14, Flat-footed 20, Fort 7, Ref 13, Will 11, Base Attack Bonus 7/2
    Crystal Echoblade 8/3 (1d8+1, 19-20/x2)
    Soulfire, 7/day mists conceal wearer for 1 minute, vision not obscured Mithralmist Shirt +1, Crystal of Bent Sight, Wand Chamber Mithral Buckler +1 (+6 Armor, +2 Shield, +2 Dex, +2 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 26
    Condition Cold Resistance 5
    Immunity to Blindness & Dazzling Effects (Googles of the Golden Sun)
    Damage Reduction 1/- for 10HP (Least Iron Ward Diamond)

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    1:Alred - 16, 2:Schroeder - 16
    6: Horse and Rider 20
    4:Ilean - 19
    5:Quinton Morrison - 15 , 3:Finn - 22

    Ilean, Quinton will all get an AoO Choose Rider or Mount
    Finn In case of AoO - need to roll for concealment to see if you actually hit the rider
    Hide
    Possible attack of opportunity against rider: +13 +1 (Kn. Devotion) +6 (Cunning Insight) - (1d20+20)[28] - (Crit on a 40). (There's an extra +2 if they achieve flanking).

    **looks like 30 to hit rider with flanking
    Damage (3d6+5)[20]
    Adamantine Warhammer does not seem to be as effective as you would hope, (you think damage reduction on this)
    you watch as the blow strikes true and then watch in horror as the wound starts to heal itself almost immediately
    (1d5)[4] the rider attack this person with all attacks
    the Mount Tramples Quinton and Finn, Ilean can get out of the way and then mount stops in the middle of the bridge between the party.

    Dread Steed - Full Attack Charge - Pounce - Ride By Attack total distance moved 80ft
    Breaths Smoke Granting it and its rider Concealment 20% miss chance
    2 Hooves (1d20+9)[26]
    Confirm Crit 2 Hooves (1d20+9)[21]
    2 Hooves damage (1d8+6)[9] Bludgeoning Magical + (1d4)[2] fire
    Trample damage (1d8+6)[14] Bludgeoning

    Quinton the 2 Hooves Crit hit you damage 18 Bludgeoning Magical + 4 fire & Trample 14 (36 total damage)
    Finn the 2 Hooves hit you damage 9 damage + 2 Fire + trample 14 (25 total damage)


    Horseman Full Attack
    Jack O Lantern (1d20+8)[9]
    Confirm Crit Jack O Lantern (1d20+8)[21]
    Jack O Lantern Damage (2d8+4)[19] Bludgeoning
    +6 Longsword (1d20+8)[15], +6 Longsword (1d20+3)[7]
    Confirm Crit Longsword (1d20+8)[22], +6 Longsword (1d20+3)[22]
    Longsword Damage (1d8+7)[8], Longsword (1d8+7)[10] Slashing Magical + Special On Crit

    Ilean the Rider misses you entirely,

    Quinton Your AoO with flanking on the Mount Misses Entirely
    Last edited by samduke; 2022-12-07 at 02:55 PM.

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2019

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    Another few words of power flew from Schroeder's mouth, this time bolstering his allies with extra strength and agility!

    Spoiler: Action
    Show

    Casting Elation: Affected creatures gain a +2 morale bonus to effective Strength and Dexterity, and their speed increases by +5 feet.


    Spoiler: Statblock
    Show

    Schroeder Miridathi
    M NG Human Bard6/Lyrical Thaumaturge5, Level 11, Init 3, HP 66/66, Speed 30
    AC 23, Touch 15, Flat-footed 20, Fort 7, Ref 14, Will 11, Base Attack Bonus 7/2
    Crystal Echoblade 8/3 (1d8+1, 19-20/x2)
    Soulfire, 7/day mists conceal wearer for 1 minute, vision not obscured Mithralmist Shirt +1, Crystal of Bent Sight, Wand Chamber Mithral Buckler +1 (+6 Armor, +2 Shield, +3 Dex, +2 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 26
    Condition Cold Resistance 5
    Immunity to Blindness & Dazzling Effects (Googles of the Golden Sun)
    Damage Reduction 1/- for 10HP (Least Iron Ward Diamond)
    Haste (10 rounds): A hasted creature gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls and a +1 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex saves. When making a full attack action, a hasted creature may make one extra attack with any weapon he is holding. The attack is made using the creature’s full base attack bonus, plus any modifiers appropriate to the situation.
    Elation (11 rounds):Affected creatures gain a +2 morale bonus to effective Strength and Dexterity, and their speed increases by +5 feet.

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    "Was not expecting to be attacked just yet, or by an outsider for that matter, not got any banishment options as a result. Oh well, got by bow"Aldred will step back out of the monster's reach and fire a veritable barrage of arrows at the rider.

    Spoiler: OOC/Rolls
    Show
    11 bab, +6 wis, +3 enhancement (1 base, 2 bane), +3 insight, +1 point blank shot, -2 rapid shot=22
    (1d20+22)[24] for (1d8+11)[16]+(2d6)[11] damage, 21+ to beat miss chance (1d100)[4]
    (1d20+22)[42] for (1d8+11)[16]+(2d6)[11] damage, 21+ to beat miss chance (1d100)[46]
    (1d20+22)[38] for (1d8+11)[12]+(2d6)[5] damage, 21+ to beat miss chance (1d100)[94]
    (1d20+22)[39] for (1d8+11)[19]+(2d6)[12] damage, 21+ to beat miss chance (1d100)[20]
    (1d20+17)[32] for (1d8+11)[12]+(2d6)[3] damage, 21+ to beat miss chance (1d100)[41]
    (1d20+17)[28] for (1d8+11)[15]+(2d6)[7] damage, 21+ to beat miss chance (1d100)[4]
    (1d20+12)[32] for (1d8+11)[17]+(2d6)[8] damage, 21+ to beat miss chance (1d100)[69]
    (1d20+12)[26] for (1d8+11)[16]+(2d6)[6] damage, 21+ to beat miss chance (1d100)[61]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •