A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Results 181 to 206 of 206
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    Quote Originally Posted by amanamana View Post
    "They could have moved on their own, but I don't know... The axe said there was a creature around here. Let's keep our eyes open and take a look around." - Finn goes ahead of the others, trying to see if there is any indication on the terrain or the foliage of another creature or if the vegetables could have left on their own somehow. - "Quinton, mate, what does your nose say about this place?"

    Telepathically, to the axe - "Do you detect the creature you talked about earlier? Is it here still? Can you locate it?"

    [OoC]He has Darkvision 30 feet, Blindsight 30 feet.
    Spot check (1d20+20)[25]
    Listen Check (earlier I noted it wrong by 1) (1d20+18)[31]
    Search (1d20+26)[32]
    While looking a the area where the normal size melons and pumpkin are, you can clearly see where an oversized melon would have been and where an oversized pumpkin would have been, Both appear to have been harvested with a garden tool. there appears to be 1 set of foot prints leaving the area heading back towards the graveyard.

    Quinton (SCENT) you smell dog, bird, plants, tree, your smelly allies, and the decay of the graveyard area.

    Axe (Do you detect the creature: Yes, Is it here still: Yes, Can you locate it: yes. it indicates the graveyard.)

  2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    Upon seeing the signs of harvesting Alred will shake his head slightly and comment "Or the gardener might be putting the tools we gave him to use harvesting them."

  3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2019

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    "That's a very optimistic way of looking at things. Therefore, it's something horrible instead," said Schroeder drily. He drew out his sword just in case. Never was a fan of squash...

  4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ScrambledBrains's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In your psyche.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    "Unfortunately, I'm not picking up anything but what you'd expect from a garden," Quinton replied to Finn before unslinging his trident from his back and holding it before himself defensively, "That said...given what we know about this place, be on your guard anyway."
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren
    Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf

  5. - Top - End - #185
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    far far away
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    "Well, I see the vegetables were harvested, they didn't walk out of here on their own. Apparently, it was the gardener, likely with the tools we provided him. The axe says the creature that was here is now at the graveyard. He was really quick about this." - Finn looks at the others - "Tell you the truth, that old man rubbed me up the wrong way. I'm not much of a people person, though, so take this with a pinch of salt."

    "I don't think there's much else around here. As I said before, I believe the pumpkins and watermelons are relevant to all this, but I don't know if you guys would be keen on going back to the graveyard now and make sense of this... Maybe that guy is not telling us the truth or maybe he's just frightened and knows little. But he talked about killing Laris, while the treant said that the 'young man is not well' and that the 'liche' is the one that holds power around here. I don't know. Maybe that dude is just scared, but Laris was just a boy when this all started and the others seem to believe he was not the only responsible for this."

    "Maybe we would benefit from talking to him again... Maybe we would be losing precious time, especially considering spells duration."
    - Finn shrugs - "There's a line between being thorough and wasting time. I may be guilty of crossing it sometimes... I say we go back to the house and get on with it. Let's just not lose sight of those considerations about who may be the real evil around here."

    "What do you say?"

  6. - Top - End - #186
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    "If it is the Gardener I really doubt he'll have any more to say than when we gave him his gardening tools and showed him the axe, so into the house?"

  7. - Top - End - #187
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ScrambledBrains's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In your psyche.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    "Into the house," Quinton agreed...though he still kept his Trident out just in case.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren
    Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf

  8. - Top - End - #188
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    The Consensus being that the House holds all the information. The Party walks back to the front door which was left open.
    looking inside you still see a set of stairs to your right, a door to your right, a door to your left, and down the hallway a set of double doors. All of those doors are closed

    Where do you go, what do you do?

  9. - Top - End - #189
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SCARY WIZARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    behind the toolshed
    Gender
    Male

    d20 Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    Ilean grumbles contemplatively. "Looks like my scroll will be in order after all..." She removes a scroll from its place on her person. "Any objections at all...? For my own part, I'd much rather we not split up in a place like this, knowing what we've encountered before. The eye that this spell creates won't be as much of a loss to us as, well, one of us would be if something were to go wrong..."

    She looks from companion to companion, as if searching for validation or a compelling counter-argument... and then, she wonderhow that Grimalkin could be called?...
    Last edited by SCARY WIZARD; 2023-01-29 at 06:49 AM.
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

  10. - Top - End - #190
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    far far away
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    Finn searches the doors and the stairs, looking for traps and to see if any are locked.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I'll just take 10 on each, for a 36 in all the Search checks.

    How's the light in there?

  11. - Top - End - #191
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2019

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    "Agreed. Splitting up would be bad." Schroeder nodded.

  12. - Top - End - #192
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    Quote Originally Posted by amanamana View Post
    Finn searches the doors and the stairs, looking for traps and to see if any are locked.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I'll just take 10 on each, for a 36 in all the Search checks.

    How's the light in there?
    there are windows that are covered, so the lighting is dim at best

    (Scroll of arcane eye, is in a position to be used)

    Search , you discover it is an old house...no traps ect...

    in order to check doors you must go inside - Do you/party go inside ? as your statement above was unclear if you went inside after checking for traps

    edited

    I will presume the party goes inside...

    the door left is not locked the door right is not locked you must travel 60 feet to the double doors and the stairs are not trapped
    for anything upstairs you must go up stairs
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-01-29 at 01:02 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #193
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    far far away
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    Finn speaks up in a hushed tone - "I suppose it's better to clear each floor before trying another. So, I propose we go for the doors first. Let me see if I can sense something behind the doors before opening them. If no one has a preferred door, I'll start with the one on the left."

    Finn goes close to the simple doors silently and tries to hear anything behind them. He then goes closer to the double door, to see if it's locked and if he can hear anything behind it. If it's all clear and no one suggests a different course of action, he will go back to the door on the left and try to open it slightly and as silently as possible, letting his blindsight detect anything lurking in the dark.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show

    He has Darkvision 30 feet, Blindsight 30 feet.
    Taking 10 in all this tests:
    Move Silently 34
    Search 36
    Listen 28
    Spot 30

  14. - Top - End - #194
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    Finn

    1st door to the left: you hear nothing, 2nd the double doors they are locked, there is no keyhole, you hear nothing, back to the 1st door on the left.
    it opens you see a room with a few chairs, a short but long rectangular table, nothing unusual (this would be the lounge) to the far right side of the room there is a single door. your weapon detects nothing
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-01-30 at 12:40 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #195
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SCARY WIZARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    behind the toolshed
    Gender
    Male

    d20 Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    Ilean nods at her companions as she considers the scroll, and considers a course for the eye to take...

    Then, she pauses.

    "You know... I just realized something -- it'll take a full ten minutes for me to invoke this scroll's magic." She taps it against her hip. She grumbles. "We'd be sitting ducks."

    Her scroll is returned to its case, she shakes her head as she puts the cap on it, and then readies herself in position with her companions.
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

  16. - Top - End - #196
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    far far away
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    "Hey ho, let's go." - Finn walks into the room warily, light-footed to avoid squeaky planks. His eyes looking for interesting things, while his blindsight is wary of trouble. He pays attention to the long table. If nothing else is of note in the room, he'll check the door for traps and locks. He will also try to hear anything behind it.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    He has Darkvision 30 feet, Blindsight 30 feet.
    Taking 10 in all this tests:
    Move Silently 34
    Search 36
    Listen 28
    Spot 30
    Last edited by amanamana; 2023-01-31 at 08:29 AM.

  17. - Top - End - #197
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    Door in the Lounge: not locked, not trapped, you hear nothing

  18. - Top - End - #198
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ScrambledBrains's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In your psyche.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    Quote Originally Posted by SCARY WIZARD View Post
    Ilean nods at her companions as she considers the scroll, and considers a course for the eye to take...

    Then, she pauses.

    "You know... I just realized something -- it'll take a full ten minutes for me to invoke this scroll's magic." She taps it against her hip. She grumbles. "We'd be sitting ducks."

    Her scroll is returned to its case, she shakes her head as she puts the cap on it, and then readies herself in position with her companions.
    "We could protect you while you invoke it," Quinton replies, "The ability to scout without risk seems like it will be useful to me...that said, if Finn hasn't found anything yet, perhaps it's more prudent that we save it."
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren
    Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf

  19. - Top - End - #199
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    "I think we should probably just stick together and explore, I don't like how long the tree delayed us, even if it worked out in the end."

  20. - Top - End - #200
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    okay consensus is to stick together so everyone is near the lounge door, inside the lounge

  21. - Top - End - #201
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SCARY WIZARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    behind the toolshed
    Gender
    Male

    d20 Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    At Quinton's words, Ilean looks from companion-to-companion. "What do you say? The extra... not-quite-set... of eyes would help out a great deal, but we did kind of spend long enough with that Treant..."
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

  22. - Top - End - #202
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    far far away
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    Finn gives his two copper pieces - "I don't know... These things don't last a lot, do they? It's possible that it would run out before the whole exploration ends if you cast it now. Maybe save it for specifc circumstances. I don't know... We could very well hit a point where we're stuck again for a while, as with the treant, and waste the spell."

    "I can keep just a little ahead of you all. You keep close to the door while I check a new room and enter it when I'm ready to check the next door. I've been pretending to know what I'm doing my whole life and I'm still here, am I not?"
    - The goofy smile again.

    That being said, Finn opens the next door in the lounge just slightly and sneeks a peek before opening it.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    He has Darkvision 30 feet, Blindsight 30 feet.
    Taking 10 in all this tests:
    Move Silently 34
    Search 36
    Listen 28
    Spot 30

  23. - Top - End - #203
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    Finn, cracks the door open only enough to get a look inside, from your vantage point you can not see much but a wall with a covered window there are 2 wall scones not lit on that wall, the ceiling is roughly 30ft up, the floor is hardwood
    the axe detects nothing, you detect nothing, scent detects nothing.
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-02-02 at 11:37 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #204
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2019

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    "Anyone capable of checking for secret doors and the like?" whispered Schroeder. Penny Dreadfuls and murder ballads were filled with old manors (like this one) with secret passages behind bookcases if you just pulled the right/wrong book or wall sconce.

  25. - Top - End - #205
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    far far away
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    "Oh, that looks interesting." - Finn walks into the room, eyes darting around. - "Let's leave the sconces for last." - He pays attention to the covered window... Is the cover hard or could it be removed easily enough? He looks for marks or maybe a loose plank on the hardwood floor. He pays attention to the high ceiling, letting his blindsight get a good read of it. - "That's really high. Makes me think of flying enemies or dangerous traps. Could any of you please move some sturdy object to the doorway, so it doesn't get shut by some devious contraption?" - Once he reaches the wall with the sconces, he starts searching more attentively.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    He has Darkvision 30 feet, Blindsight 30 feet.
    Taking 10 in all this tests:
    Move Silently 34
    Search 36
    Listen 28
    Spot 30

    If he does not find anything, he will Take 20 on Search on the wall with the sconces, for a total of 46

  26. - Top - End - #206
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ScrambledBrains's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In your psyche.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

    Quote Originally Posted by amanamana View Post
    "That's really high. Makes me think of flying enemies or dangerous traps. Could any of you please move some sturdy object to the doorway, so it doesn't get shut by some devious contraption?"
    I'm on it," Quinton replies before looking for an appropriate object with which to jam the door.

    Spoiler: Search Check
    Show
    Taking 10 on a Search Check for a total of 13
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren
    Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •